Lesson to all those Hair-Colorers!!!!!!!

dulcemulatta84dulcemulatta84 Posts: 2Registered Users
I would like every one to take this seriously. Out of my past experience, present knowledge and love of my heart, Id like to express this to everyone. :arrow:
Doing at home color, ESPECIALLY permanent color and bleach the hair color will come out warmer and brassier than you would like, especially If your hair has warm undertones. your hair will grow and in 4-6 weeks your roots will show. more than likely you will want to touch up your roots every month!!!!!! :!: The best thing to do is go to a salon because its less work and well worth it if you want beautiful, evenly colored, healthy hair.
Leave coloring to the experts! at least they can do the man labour! so go to the salon and find someone that is doing what you want! Get a beautiful head of healthy evenly colored hair! Not all salon charge an arm and a leg. :D
Hair is 3B to 3C. Mother, Beautician, and Color Expertise! very experienced. Im Growing out my naturally gorgeous hair Long. Never cutting it again! Love. im here to learn and help.
Failed to load the poll.
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• sweetpeacurlisweetpeacurli Posts: 343Registered Users
    has nothing to do with the cost. i've simply found that having my color done at the salon is no better than doing it at home.

i've never had color stay true for four months, regardless of where i've had it done or the brand of dye. my experience is that all dyes fade/change over time.
    Sulfate and Silicone-free since 2005
    CO-wash convert since October 2010
    Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
    Twitter: @sweetpeacurli

Currently loving:
    • Vo5 tea therapy conditioners
    • Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose conditioner
    • Giovanni Direct leave-in
    • Biosilk Rock Hard Gelee
    I am now completely out of the closet as the craziest of crazy cat ladies. I own it. I embrace it. I am one with the crazy.
  • the doctorthe doctor Posts: 393Registered Users
    I've been happy. Even when there was a disaster, I was able to get advice and fix the problem quickly.

8)

Knowing how many people on here have posted salon color disasters, it seems to me that a thorough understanding of how color works and how one's own hair behaves is FAR more important than whether one has a license to do haircolor or not.
    spring1onu wrote:
    I like having something "down below"
    smurfette wrote:
    What would you call it, sci-fi guru?
    don't click this. seriously.
  • GingerCookieGingerCookie Posts: 8Registered Users
    4 months??? I'd have over 3" of roots by then if I didn't touch up! As for going to the salon... $7 vs $80. You bet your booty it's about the money! And frankly, I've gotten a lot more compliments since I went back to doing it myself.
    ~GingerCookie
    3B/C, homecolored from dark dishwater blonde to strawberry blonde
  • three rivers curlythree rivers curly Posts: 994Registered Users
    On the few occasions that I've had it done in the salon I've been told that they either didn't realize that I colored or that they couldn't believe it was from a box.

About once every couple of years I'll go to a salon for color. That is usually after re-arraiging my schedule 12 times and then sitting and waiting anyway (although I'm very patient). Then the designer does what they want anyway and I spend the next week trying to get used to it. :? Mind you, I actually worked in a salon for a while, so I have an understanding of the behind-the-scenes.

At home I can do it in my jammies at midnight if I want. I can watch TV, tweeze my eyebrows and do a facial in the 25 minutes that it takes to process. In a salon I have to sit around looking like a freak and the whole process takes over an hour. If I spend $7 and don't like it, who cares? If I spend $80 every 6-8 weeks I would be really upset. I have better things to do with my $$. I must not be high maintenance enough. :lol:
    Better everyone think your a fool, than to open your mouth and prove them right.

Perception is not reality.

http://public.fotki.com/hmiklos
  • sweetpeacurlisweetpeacurli Posts: 343Registered Users
    On the few occasions that I've had it done in the salon I've been told that they either didn't realize that I colored or that they couldn't believe it was from a box.
    LOL! Same here! Although I've had my hair dyed at salons far more than that. :)

Actually, my attitude towards dye is that if you're not going for a dramatic change (i.e. you just want a little boost or you're covering grays), you can easily do it at home. but if you're going for a more dramatic change (i.e. making color lighter or more than 2 shades darker) it's sometimes better left to the pros if you aren't confident in your haircolor knowledge.

I think most of us that color at home with success only use at-home dye for fairly subtle changes. Like adding red tones without trying to lift color, for example. Or covering brassiness or grays while staying in the same level and tone as our natural shade.
    Sulfate and Silicone-free since 2005
    CO-wash convert since October 2010
    Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
    Twitter: @sweetpeacurli

Currently loving:
    • Vo5 tea therapy conditioners
    • Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose conditioner
    • Giovanni Direct leave-in
    • Biosilk Rock Hard Gelee
    I am now completely out of the closet as the craziest of crazy cat ladies. I own it. I embrace it. I am one with the crazy.
  • CurliLocksCurliLocks Posts: 10,573Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    4 months??? I'd have over 3" of roots by then if I didn't touch up! As for going to the salon... $7 vs $80. You bet your booty it's about the money! And frankly, I've gotten a lot more compliments since I went back to doing it myself.
    Ditto! :shock: I have to color every 5-6 weeks for roots. However, I don't have to re-color the rest as often, maybe every other month or so, if that. I use RC Color (duh!) -- the color does fade somewhat but not nearly as quickly as other colors that have lift. :)

I color at home because:

1. I only trust RC's Color on my hair and I don't have a salon nearby that uses it (there are some).

2. I also get better results doing it myself than the salon (same for highlights). The only reason my stylist can tell I color is when I need a root touch-up when I go in for a cut. :oops:

3. It's much cheaper! :D
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file