Tomato Pesto Vegetable Soup

badgercurlsbadgercurls Posts: 3,077Registered Users
This is one of several soup experiments that finally went right! I made up the recipe based on several recipes I found online. It's very nutritious and although I haven't worked out the calorie count, I would guess it's quite low-calorie.

Tomato Pesto Vegetable Soup

1 tbsp olive oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
One onion, chopped
8 cups water (or stock or broth)
2 dried bay leaves
1/2 tsp dried thyme
8-10 cups greens, rinsed and chopped*
1 large can (26 oz) crushed tomatoes with basil
2 (15 oz) cans chickpeas (rinsed and drained)
4 tbsp pesto (store bought or homemade, adjust to taste)
Salt and pepper to taste

Instructions:
1) Saute onion and garlic in olive oil in a large soup pot until starting to look transparent.

2) Add water, bay leaves, and thyme to pot, bring to a boil. Add in greens about a cup at a time. Boil until greens are wilted and liquid has reduced slightly.

[Optional step: If you want a smoother, thicker soup, remove bay leaves, reduce heat, and when it's cool enough to pour without scalding yourself, pour greens and water mixture into blender and puree. Return to soup pot.]

3) Add in carrots, tomatoes (undrained), and chickpeas (rinsed and drained). Bring to boil. Boil for a few minutes, then cover pot and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer until carrots are tender.

4) If you haven't done so already, remove bay leaves. While soup is still warm, stir in pesto and season with salt and pepper to taste.

Serving suggestion: top each bowl with a small amount of pesto and a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese.

*You can use whatever greens you'd like - I used spinach, bok choy, and kale because they were on sale. :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file