Motrin "Babywearing" Ad

KaiaKaia Registered Users Posts: 8,815 Curl Connoisseur
This ad apparently came out this weekend. :thumbdown: I find it really offensive and upsetting. Besides the fact that the supposed mother is clearly using the wrong baby carrier if it's causing her that much pain, it's just plain insulting. The way they say babywearing is supposedly good for your baby. And it makes you look like an "official mom." Because we do it to prove some kind of a point at the price of being in pain all the time. Ugh!!! When I cool off, I think I may write them, although I'm sure they're already getting flooded with e-mails from TBW mamas.
*Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin

Comments

• KaiaKaia Registered Users Posts: 8,815 Curl Connoisseur
    OK, I went to the Motrin website, and there's already an apology on the front page. A little better. Gotta wonder what the heck they were thinking. Did they even consult any real mothers before airing this?

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • geekygeeky Registered Users Posts: 4,995
    I saw that earlier. Apparently they already took the ad off the Motrin website, due to overwhelming response.

But yeah, ugh. Way to miss the boat. I am sure whoever came up with this has absolutely zero babywearing experience.
    To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
    I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.
  • Brown_Eyed_GirlBrown_Eyed_Girl Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Curl Neophyte
    I'm glad they issued an apology!
  • marielle448marielle448 Registered Users Posts: 1,823
    Hmmm, saw this on someone's blog and immediately thought the idea person had a knee jerk reaction to parenting trends with no personal experience. Because we all know that insulting your target audience is the right way to get them to buy your product.
  • mad scientistmad scientist Registered Users Posts: 3,530 Curl Neophyte
    The ad is totally obnoxious with the whole "official mom" crap.

BUT I will admit that parts of it do ring true for me and my babywearing experience. Wearing my babies does hurt my back. Probably because I'm a big weenie. I have tons of carriers of different types and I know how to wear them properly. I happily wear my baby when she wants to be held, but I will be the first one to admit that its a happy day for me when my babies want to go for a long ride in the stroller or walk on their own.

• marielle448marielle448 Registered Users Posts: 1,823
    MS - ahhh how I longed for Ian to love the stroller it took me 8 months to pick out. But my answer for people at the grocery store who wondered if it was a strain or hurt to carry the chunkalunk in the sling was, "it's either a sling or my arms. I'll take the sling that distributes his weight anyday". LOL
  • PixieCurlPixieCurl Registered Users Posts: 5,656
    Yeah, the ad's totally offensive, but like mad scientist, I will admit that sometimes my back/shoulders do get sore after wearing Solomon for a long time. He's more than 20% of my body weight!
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
    Mama to two wild superheroes and a curly-headed baby boy :love5:
  • wavezncurlzwavezncurlz Registered Users Posts: 1,814
    Dumb ad. Really dumb.
    I couldn't carry my girls for long though because I still had various pains from pregnancy and they got big really fast!
    HAIRCOLLAGE2010-1-1.jpg[

mini-album w/ various styles for the past 10 years of natural hair:
    http://s29.photobucket.com/albums/c252/wavezncurlz/hair/
    password: curlzorwavez
  • mad scientistmad scientist Registered Users Posts: 3,530 Curl Neophyte
    "it's either a sling or my arms. I'll take the sling that distributes his weight anyday". LOL

Definitely. If you've got to haul the weight anyways, a good carrier goes a long way.

Sandhya is 11 months old and now finally willing to hang out in the stroller. But only the big-azz reclineable one. She will launch herself out of the umbrella stroller before I have a chance to strap her in.

• KaiaKaia Registered Users Posts: 8,815 Curl Connoisseur
    Because we all know that insulting your target audience is the right way to get them to buy your product.

Exactly. I can see where one person might have thought it was a good idea, but how it presumably got past a team of people with marketing educations is just beyond me.

• Oregano  (formerly babywavy)Oregano (formerly babywavy) Registered Users Posts: 5,297 Curl Neophyte
    That was a really dumb commercial.

'wearing your baby seems to be in fashion' ?
    'makes me look like an official mom' ?

:disgust:
    ~ the artist formerly known as babywavy ~

Please excuse any typos. For the time being, we are blaming it on my computer.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file