Obama to give up blackberry, emails

wavezncurlzwavezncurlz Registered Users Posts: 1,814
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27740220/
President elect Barack Obama may have to surrender his beloved BlackBerry due to White House security restrictions

Also emails...

He's like me, addicted to both.

I can see giving up these things if I'm not working or on vacation but my work is mostly through emails and text. It's work that must be done quickly. My clients expect responsiveness (within 30 minutes is our rule).

For someone who worked the emails, texts, blogs, and internet so well during his campaign, how will this adjustment go?

What do you think?
HAIRCOLLAGE2010-1-1.jpg[

mini-album w/ various styles for the past 10 years of natural hair:
http://s29.photobucket.com/albums/c252/wavezncurlz/hair/
password: curlzorwavez

Comments

• CocoaCoilyCocoaCoily Registered Users Posts: 2,648 Curl Neophyte
    I think it would suck to have to give up using email!

So, if I'm understanding correctly, if he wants to communicate with family and friends, he has to call them, or use snail mail? How very 1980. Hmmm, seems to me we need to bring the office of the POTUS into the 21 century!:hiding:
  • wavezncurlzwavezncurlz Registered Users Posts: 1,814
    CocoaCoily wrote: »
    I think it would suck to have to give up using email!

So, if I'm understanding correctly, if he wants to communicate with family and friends, he has to call them, or use snail mail? How very 1980. Hmmm, seems to me we need to bring the office of the POTUS into the 21 century!:hiding:

I totally agree! With two small kids and a crazy job, I know I don't have time to call or write friends. Email is my best friend. I wouldn't have any friends if I had to rely on the phone or pen and paper. And yes, I know that's what folks did in the "old days" but I really think I do a better job keeping in touch than some of the folks from my parents generation.
    HAIRCOLLAGE2010-1-1.jpg[

• xcptnlxcptnl Registered Users Posts: 15,678 Curl Connoisseur
    I guess they can make sure his computer is secure but I am assuming the issue is with the people he might be sending the emails to. But what about when he uses the phone - I mean you can make his phone secure but what who he is calling? I dunno - it seems like in this day and age - the President should be able to use the technology that is out there.
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
  • munchkinmunchkin Registered Users Posts: 2,909 Curl Connoisseur
    I understand the two main reasons are:

1. A blackberry sets off a signal like a cell phone that can be traced. Therefore, if any enemies wanted to know where he was, they could find him.

2. Apparently anything in written format like an e-mail is considered public domain (or something like that), and if requested by the other party, he would have to produce it and show it.
    3b/c
  • CocoaCoilyCocoaCoily Registered Users Posts: 2,648 Curl Neophyte
    I do believe this should be addressed. 21st century, hello there.:hello2:

When he is in AF1 and needs to send/receive information, he must be using a network that meets security standards. So, why can't they have a blackberry type device that uses that network?

Also, his personal information doesn't fall under the PRA or FOIA, does it? So, couldn't he just have two accounts on his PresidentBerry?

It just seems simply odd that a president couldn't use/have mobile email.
  • journotravelerjournotraveler Registered Users Posts: 2,816
    i.would.just.die.
    3B corkscrews with scatterings of 3A & 3C.
    i.would.just.die.

LOL
    I used to laugh at those who were "crackberry" addicted. I was given one for my job b/c as a manager, they wanted me available to the client at all time. Well, I am officially addicted. It's sad...
    HAIRCOLLAGE2010-1-1.jpg[

i.would.just.die.

LOL
    I used to laugh at those who were "crackberry" addicted. I was given one for my job b/c as a manager, they wanted me available to the client at all time. Well, I am officially addicted. It's sad...

i don't even have a crackberry! (holding out for a 3G iphone.) but no emails? i even get my facebook updates/messages on my cell phone.... :sad1:
  • yagottaloveyacurlsyagottaloveyacurls Registered Users Posts: 5,766 Curl Connoisseur
    i.would.just.die.

Those EXACT words just floated into my head as I was reading the first post... :lol: I even said it in my head the same way you typed it.
    i.would.just.die.

Those EXACT words just floated into my head as I was reading the first post... :lol: I even said it in my head the same way you typed it.

:laughing8:

i'm addicted...
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Registered Users Posts: 15,402 Curl Neophyte
    It's downright stupid to expect the POTUS to give up emails and Blackberries. There must be some sort of super encryption.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • CurlyEyesCurlyEyes Registered Users Posts: 2,983
    maybe it's a plot to get him out of the white house...i know I would leave if I couldn't have emails...i dunno, it makes sense...it's for 'his own good'. yeaaaah. riiight.

(you know we never landed on the moon, right? it was all a set up...)
    made up of 98.822% silliness!!

beautiful_wonderful_fabulous_jade_antm.gif
  • susancnwsusancnw Registered Users Posts: 1,374 Curl Novice
    Legally, ANYTHING and EVERYTHING he writes is subject to discovery in any sort of situation. Personal or as president, it is all discoverable. And as POTUS, the position requires that everything be out there. It's is something that has been required of every president. Why should he be different?
    My son wears combat boots (and a parachute). So does my son-in-law.
    The older I get, the less patience I have with cleverness. Thomas Sowell.
    Resolve to perform what you ought. Perform without fail what you resolve. Benjamin Franklin.
    Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first. Mark Twain.

s-event.png

• MichelleBFTMichelleBFT Registered Users Posts: 4,812
    susancnw wrote: »
    Legally, ANYTHING and EVERYTHING he writes is subject to discovery in any sort of situation. Personal or as president, it is all discoverable. And as POTUS, the position requires that everything be out there. It's is something that has been required of every president. Why should he be different?

He shouldn't be, and no one is saying that he should.
    "And politically correct is the worst term, not just because it’s dismissive, but because it narrows down the whole social justice spectrum to this idea that it’s about being polite instead of about dismantling the oppressive social structure of power.
    Fun Fact: When you actively avoid being “PC,” you’re not being forward-thinking or unique. You’re buying into systems of oppression that have existed since before you were even born, and you’re keeping those systems in place."
    Stolen.
    susancnw wrote: »

He shouldn't be, and no one is saying that he should.

Right. We are saying that the emails and blackberries cannot be part of his correspondence. As someone who's main form of communication is by these means, it seems silly and old fashioned. As someone mentioned above, there has to be a way to provide a secure means for him to communicate electronically.
    HAIRCOLLAGE2010-1-1.jpg[

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file