Tag along on DH's business trip?

PixieCurlPixieCurl Registered Users Posts: 5,656
My husband has a business trip in early December. It starts on a Monday night from 6:30-9:00, then is all day Tuesday (with mandatory dinner) and until 4:00 on Wednesday. We're thinking of having me and Solomon tag along with him. Even though DH will be busy most of the days, we'll still get to see him at night and all sleep together. There's a really great children's museum in the city where his trip is and the hotel has an indoor pool, plus there's an outlet mall nearby so I could do some holiday shopping. I'm just wondering how difficult it will be to have a 14-month-old in a hotel room for all that time, if I don't have to. Also, the room doesn't have a fridge or microwave so we'll have to pay a bit for food. We could get a fridge for an extra $10/day if we wanted to, but I don't know if that's worth it.

What would you do?
Faith, 3Aish redhead
Mama to two wild superheroes and a curly-headed baby boy :love5:

Comments

• geekygeeky Registered Users Posts: 4,995
    I don't think I would do it in the winter.
    To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
    I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.
  • KaiaKaia Registered Users Posts: 8,815 Curl Connoisseur
    I would if I thought it would be fun to hang out in that city. I don't think staying two nights in a hotel would be a big deal, especially since you co-sleep and his sleeping environment won't be that different. I don't know about that whole winter thing... we don't do winter here. ;)
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • sarah42sarah42 Registered Users Posts: 4,034
    My husband has had similar trips and wanted me to go--I decided not to. That's partially because I have two little ones, and I would find it hard to go on outings to the zoo, shopping, etc. with both of them. With just one, I might consider it. If you bring some favorite toys and books, you could keep him entertained for your time in the hotel room, then try to spend some time doing fun things out on the town.
    ehLB.jpg
  • DarkAngelDarkAngel Registered Users Posts: 2,671 Curl Neophyte
    What city? Will it be terribly cold? I would go. We tagged along to Chicago in September and had a blast. We got a suite rather than a normal sized hotel room and made sure to have a fridge. Without the fridge, it would have been more complicated so I recommend you rent one. If you tell the hotel that you are traveling with an infant, they may not charge for it.
    image.php?type=2&o=5&c=1&date=2009-10-07&babyname=Sebastian

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Theodor Seuss Geisel
  • rainshowerrainshower Registered Users Posts: 4,420
    PixieCurl wrote: »
    My husband has a business trip in early December. It starts on a Monday night from 6:30-9:00, then is all day Tuesday (with mandatory dinner) and until 4:00 on Wednesday. We're thinking of having me and Solomon tag along with him. Even though DH will be busy most of the days, we'll still get to see him at night and all sleep together. There's a really great children's museum in the city where his trip is and the hotel has an indoor pool, plus there's an outlet mall nearby so I could do some holiday shopping. I'm just wondering how difficult it will be to have a 14-month-old in a hotel room for all that time, if I don't have to. Also, the room doesn't have a fridge or microwave so we'll have to pay a bit for food. We could get a fridge for an extra $10/day if we wanted to, but I don't know if that's worth it.

What would you do?

i love my husband to pieces, as do our children. but i think we could go less than 2 days without him and sleep just fine! :love5:
    "Dogs stink too, but I like dog stink." ~ rileyb
  • AmnerisAmneris Registered Users Posts: 15,117
    Unless I could easily afford it, I wouldn't unless I had some other reason to want to go to that city (visit family or friends, some really cool sights I'd always wanted to see, etc.)

It doesn't seem worth it to me for only 2 days otherwise.

I don't think travelling with or entertaining an infant would be a problem, as long as you're prepared to chase after him like crazy, but you have to do that whether or not you're on a trip. I would just rather save my money for a trip that has meaning to me, and I personally don't find it very interesting to accompany people on business trips and hang around hotels and malls, but if you can afford it and think it will be fun, go for it! Hotel beds are nice and big and snuggly for the whole family. And because you co-sleep, nurse, etc. travelling shouldn't be too stressful.
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

• Brown_Eyed_GirlBrown_Eyed_Girl Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Curl Neophyte
    I can't weigh in on the taking a 14 month old aspect, but wanted to say that I've enjoyed the times I've tagged along with hubby. We just really don't like being apart though, and I know a lot of couples don't seem to mind it as much.

Also, about the fridge, I would do it. If you can keep breakfast and lunch items in your room and just go out for dinner, I think it will be worth it both for money and convenience.
  • webjockeywebjockey Registered Users Posts: 2,786
    I would stay home and eat foods and watch movies hubby wouldn't enjoy but I would.
    hello.world.
  • PixieCurlPixieCurl Registered Users Posts: 5,656
    It's not far - the drive is less than 2 hours - so we wouldn't have to pay airfare or anything. The only extra expenses, if we tag along, will be food for us (which we'd bring as much of as we could) and my admission to the museum, which is like $10 (Sol would get in free).

I just can't decide. On one hand, it might be kind of fun to stay in a hotel and go to the museum and stuff. Plus, as a SAHM to a little wild man, I'm worried I might go crazy if I don't have my husband around to help in the evening at least. But, it is possible that it will be a bit of a hassle and the cost of food/refrigerator is a pain. I guess I'll have to think about it some more.
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
    Mama to two wild superheroes and a curly-headed baby boy :love5:
  • fuzzbucketfuzzbucket Registered Users Posts: 996 Curl Connoisseur
    Plus, as a SAHM to a little wild man, I'm worried I might go crazy if I don't have my husband around to help in the evening at least.

This is us to a tee! I tagged along w/DH when DS was 11 months. It was 4 days and it was summer, but I'm glad we went. His work was at night, so we had the days free. I was really afraid of spending 4 days and 4 nights at home, alone with my energizer bunny.
    Hair type: 3A/B
    I lurk, therefore, I am.
    My Blog
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Registered Users Posts: 31,259 Curl Connoisseur
    My husband travels often. We rarely tag along, because I do not enjoy being in hotel rooms with kids. For me to consider tagging along, there has to be some draw of the area he is going. Hotel room and sleeping with him are not enough.
  • KaiaKaia Registered Users Posts: 8,815 Curl Connoisseur
    We don't really ever go on official vacations, so for me, I would jump at the opportunity to have a change of scenery and a mini-vacation. But heck, I get excited about a trip to the mall. :lol:
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • AmnerisAmneris Registered Users Posts: 15,117
    fuzzbucket wrote: »
    Plus, as a SAHM to a little wild man, I'm worried I might go crazy if I don't have my husband around to help in the evening at least.

This is us to a tee! I tagged along w/DH when DS was 11 months. It was 4 days and it was summer, but I'm glad we went. His work was at night, so we had the days free. I was really afraid of spending 4 days and 4 nights at home, alone with my energizer bunny.

It's amazing how different people can see things differently (and I mean that with no snark...) I have a really active boy too, and I don't mind at all being alone with him all day and night. I'm like RCW - I would only tag along if there was a really compelling reason. I'd do like Webbie and stay home and do my own thing and enjoy my space with me and baby!
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file