We’d like your help getting CurlTalk back on its feet!

By participating on CurlTalk — posting, commenting, liking — in the next few weeks, you will automatically be entered to win amazing prizes

Learn more!

Grey hair and highlights

mandyvmandyv Posts: 2,437Registered Users
Now that I have a few more grey hairs on the top of my head, enough to want to cover, do I have to give up on highlights?
3c
Poo: KBB shampoo bar or Shikai moisturizing shampoo
CoWash: VO5 kiwi
Cond: Robert Craig, Tresemme Natural, or Fekkai Shea Butter
Leave in/Styling: Grapeseed oil, KBB milk, KCCC, and Aveda Confixor

Comments

• munchkinmunchkin Posts: 2,909Registered Users
    Mine would be completely white if I didn't color it. I don't year round, but in the spring and summer I always have my hairdresser highlight it. So, yes, both can be done.
    3b/c
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    Hi...My daughter (hairdresser) does gentle highlights, lowlights and colors the regrowth for me...and it all looks very natural and stays healthy because of conditioning and how she colors. I have lots and lots of silver/grey...good luck :wink:
  • mandyvmandyv Posts: 2,437Registered Users
    Thanks for the replies. Do you have the highlights until it's time to color the greys and then you color it all?

I guess I'm not diligent enough to go in every 2-3 months for the color and highlighting.
    3c
    I can't help you with that question because I have to go in every 4 weeks to get my roots done. Sometimes she pulls the color through, including highlights, sometimes she doesn't.
    3b/c
  • mandyvmandyv Posts: 2,437Registered Users
    munchkin, if you don't mind me asking, how much does it cost you every 4 weeks?
    3c
    It costs $42-45 every 4 weeks (maybe a little higher when I get the highlights) plus I tip $5. This seems to be about the norm in a small town. I'm sure city prices are much higher.
    3b/c
  • LotsawavesLotsawaves Posts: 8,661Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I wish I could afford the upkeep of the highlights. I have gray at the roots and the hairline and I color the roots about every 4 to 6 weeks. I do this at home so it's pretty inexpensive. I'd love to have auburn highlights. Maybe, I'll make the plunge and if it gets too expensive I can always go back to coloring the roots. It's nice to know I have an option.
    From Michael Berg:

Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."
  • selfcurledgirlselfcurledgirl Posts: 516Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I do gray covering of the roots and highlights at Devachan. It would be pretty expensive if I didn't use a washer who is training so I am considered a hair model. She doesn't highlight everytime and it doesn't need to be. The highlights last a long time. Devachan highlights are very high,like $150 or so and the gray coverage is $85. I used to do it at home but it looks better from the salon. Wish it were cheaper so that I didn'thave to be a model. I can't just make an appt,it has to be when they have a modeling day.
    Hair type, thin, 3b, past my shoulders always looking for length. Use jessicurl hair cleansing cream, devacurl one c, angel, set it free, Always see a deva trained stylist for cut and Aveda Institute for color.
  • LotsawavesLotsawaves Posts: 8,661Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I've been using Natural Instincts to color my roots for a long time now. I have always used medium brown. Saturday I tried the medium golden brown all over and it gave me auburn highlights. I just saved myself a lot of money. :D
    From Michael Berg:

Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,258Registered Users
    I wish I could afford the upkeep of the highlights. I have gray at the roots and the hairline and I color the roots about every 4 to 6 weeks. I do this at home so it's pretty inexpensive. I'd love to have auburn highlights. Maybe, I'll make the plunge and if it gets too expensive I can always go back to coloring the roots.

I recently switched to using henna (at home). My hair is naturally very dark brown with about 20% gray. Since my hair is so dark, I am not bright red from the henna. Rather, I get a nice overall red wash look on my brown, and a nice auburn red on my grays. Ta da...easy auburn highlights. Finally, and UP side to having gray hair.

The henna is really great for my hair too...very shiny and conditioned.
  • donnafinadonnafina Posts: 43Registered Users
    Have any of you thought of going grey? I'm toying with the idea because the color is so harsh on my scalp and hair. I dread the thought of coloring it so much I've let my roots grow out to over an inch. I can tousel my curls to hide most of it, but I have a white streak going on and am seriously considering it. The think that holds me back is that I don't want to look at myself and feel any older than I am (turned 50 this year) I'm interested in your replies. Thanks
    2b-3c depending on the weather, conditioner, length, etc.
    Going grey since April, 2006. No cutting since May / June, 2006.
  • MaudieMaudie Posts: 508Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    As a matter of fact, there are several curlies going "silver". :D Here is a link to that discussion:

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fnaturallycurly2.com%2FphpBB%2Fviewtopic.php%3Ft%3D56493" class="Popup
    Maudie

CO wash-Vo5 Kiwi Lime
    Regular CO-Tresemme Naturals Silicone Free
    Deep CO-Aussie 3 Minute Miracle

Shampoo-Jhirmack Silver Plus Ageless once a week
    Cream-Garnier Fructis Sleek $ Shine Leave-In Conditioning
    Gels-LA Looks Sport

Going silver-last hair color 4/10/15
    Thank you so much!
  • MaudieMaudie Posts: 508Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    You're welcome! :)
    Maudie

CO wash-Vo5 Kiwi Lime
    Regular CO-Tresemme Naturals Silicone Free
    Deep CO-Aussie 3 Minute Miracle

Shampoo-Jhirmack Silver Plus Ageless once a week
    Cream-Garnier Fructis Sleek $ Shine Leave-In Conditioning
    Gels-LA Looks Sport

Going silver-last hair color 4/10/15
    I found a Curlscene article I had copied and saved from long ago on NC about making herbal hair dyes. I tried the link ( /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.naturallycurly2.com%2Fcurlscene%2Fentry.php%3Fid%3D251%26amp%3Bentrytype%3Darticles" class="Popup )but it wasn't working so if anyone wants it I can email the .doc to you.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file