Transitioning with braids?

littleamazonlittleamazon Registered Users Posts: 71
I figured the easiest way for me to transition without big chopping would be keeping my hair in plaits. Has anyone ever had any experiences with this before, because I have three questions:

1.) I know when transtioning you have to keep your hair super SUPER moisturized, but how can you do that if your hair is covered in braids?

2.) Would cutting the relaxed ends occasionally really get rid of all of my relaxed ends?

3.) Is it easy to tell difference between your new growth and you relaxed hair
Last Relaxer: September 2008
BC Date: June 24, 2009

4a/b Penspring sized coils

Comments

• mixededmixeded Registered Users Posts: 381
    I figured the easiest way for me to transition without big chopping would be keeping my hair in plaits. Has anyone ever had any experiences with this before, because I have three questions:

1.) I know when transtioning you have to keep your hair super SUPER moisturized, but how can you do that if your hair is covered in braids?

2.) Would cutting the relaxed ends occasionally really get rid of all of my relaxed ends?

3.) Is it easy to tell difference between your new growth and you relaxed hair

Hey there!

1) I have my hair in kinky twists right now; just got them less than a week ago so I'll be keeping them in a while yet. I'm coming up with a leave-in mixture of cone free conditioner (to avoid build-up), water, and jojoba oil to spray on my scalp every time I need it to keep the roots moisturized. I would imagine it's the same case as braids.

2) Cutting your relaxed ends little by little will result in a whole head of natural hair eventually because your hair keeps growing in at the roots. If your hair grows an inch in two months and you cut an inch every two months, then you'll still technically have the same amount of hair on your head.

3) I've always found it easier to tell where the demarcation line is with wet hair, maybe with some conditioner too. With dry hair it's a little harder to tell, but that's just me. If your texture is drastically different than your bone straight ends, the line should be pretty clear.

Hope that helps! Happy transitioning!
    :afro:
    :duckie: Fotki!
    Last relaxer: Feb. 2008
    Big Chop:
    Jan. 2009

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file