Good toys for 2-year-olds

sarah42sarah42 Registered Users Posts: 4,034
I'm looking ahead towards Christmas and my son's 2nd birthday on December 31. What are some good toys for this age? I probably prefer quiet and/or non-electronic toys, although Connor does like music and blinking lights.

I've thought of Mr. Potato Head and simple wooden puzzles. Any other ideas?
ehLB.jpg

Comments

• mad scientistmad scientist Registered Users Posts: 3,530 Curl Neophyte
    I would actually steer clear of things with too many pieces at this age because they get lost/thrown around.

Karan was big into vehicles (still is). We bought him a "road carpet" that he could drive his cars on, some cars and a tonka truck (that makes noise and has lights). A tool set was also a big hit.

• KaiaKaia Registered Users Posts: 8,815 Curl Connoisseur
    Keep in mind I haven't had a 2 year old yet.

Wooden blocks
    Chunky puzzles
    Pounding toys
    Duplos
    This table has one side for Duplo/Lego blocks, and the other is a "train track."
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • webjockeywebjockey Registered Users Posts: 2,786
    I've posted this before: http://www.bilibo.com

I can't vouch for this being actually being fun, but it sure looks like it.
    hello.world.
  • nynaeve77nynaeve77 Registered Users Posts: 7,135 Curl Novice
    Legos are always awesome (the giant ones, not the little choking-hazard ones). I'm dying to try some of that Crayola color-wonder paint that only works on the special paper. Other than that, I can't say, since I have a girl and she is the ultimate princess right now. All she wants is Barbie and Ariel stuff.
    "Maybe Lucy's right. Of all the Charlie Browns in the world, you're the Charlie Browniest."--Linus, A Charlie Brown Christmas

My fotki: http://public.fotki.com/nynaeve77/
    Password: orphanannie
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Registered Users Posts: 31,259 Curl Connoisseur
    Blocks. You can't have too many, they last forever, and they never get boring. I sometimes catch my teenager playing with the blocks.
  • mad scientistmad scientist Registered Users Posts: 3,530 Curl Neophyte
    Kaia wrote: »
    Keep in mind I haven't had a 2 year old yet.

Wooden blocks
    Chunky puzzles
    Pounding toys
    Duplos
    This table has one side for Duplo/Lego blocks, and the other is a "train track."

We have those blocks and the chunky shapes puzzle and the farm animal puzzle all from Melissa and Doug. Definitely good presents.

Depending on the personality of your 2 year old, if you get a pounding toy, you might want to get one that has the hammer attached to the toy. Otherwise there will be pounding of the walls, tables, baby sibling etc...

If you decide to go for electronic, my kid LOVES the Leapfrog fridge magnet toys: we just put away our Fridge Phonics and the Farm Animals one and recently bought him the Word Whammer.

http://www.leapfrog.ca/en_ca/learning_toys/fridgephonics.html

• subbrocksubbrock Registered Users Posts: 8,212
    my daughter loves mr potato head. and she hasnt lost a piece, yet.
    she also really likes that fridge phonics thing too.

back when i worked in child care, the toys that caused the most brawls where the cars. everybody loved playing with the little cars.
  • ruralcurlsruralcurls Registered Users Posts: 2,574
    Depending on the personality of your 2 year old, if you get a pounding toy, you might want to get one that has the hammer attached to the toy. Otherwise there will be pounding of the walls, tables, baby sibling etc...

That is good advice. My kids love to bang each other with anything they can get. I had to get rid of a bunch of blocks because they kept throwing them.

There are some great ideas in this thread. I have been trying to figure out what to the kids for Christmas and I am stuck.
  • deezee02deezee02 Registered Users Posts: 1,509
    Blocks and different size balls
    wooden puzzles
    crayons and other art stuff
    Those fridge toys are awesome...if they do not stick to the fridge, you can get a dry erase board to use
    Cars
    58eCm4.png
    SCxkm4.png

Come swag with me!
  • mayimmayim Registered Users Posts: 2,301
    the michael olaf company has amazing catalogs, one for 0-3 years and one for 3-6+. they are natural, purposeful toys that really challenge children and they hold their interest for much longer than the average toy. the materials are based on montessori philosophy, and the catalog gives a lot of info about montessori and ways to implement the philosophy at home, too.

i'm a montessori teacher, and i've always highly recommended it to parents, and now that i have my own little one, my wish list from it is growing exponentially! :)

m
    coarse, thick 3a
    modified cg

weight.png

• ruralcurlsruralcurls Registered Users Posts: 2,574
    mayim wrote: »
    the michael olaf company has amazing catalogs, one for 0-3 years and one for 3-6+. they are natural, purposeful toys that really challenge children and they hold their interest for much longer than the average toy. the materials are based on montessori philosophy, and the catalog gives a lot of info about montessori and ways to implement the philosophy at home, too.

i'm a montessori teacher, and i've always highly recommended it to parents, and now that i have my own little one, my wish list from it is growing exponentially! :)

m

Haven't had a chance to look at the link, but this sounds just what we may be looking for.

Thank you.:reindeer:
  • sundaysunday Registered Users Posts: 535
    My son got Geotrax (by Fisher Price) last year and he loves them and so do I. They are easy to put together and very sturdy. Also, there are lots of different things you can buy to add on and they are relatively cheap (especially compared to the Thomas stuff). We have the trains, the plane, and a truck. If your son is into transportation type toys, I highly recommend them.
    3 something
    fotki pw: sunday
  • southrncurlssouthrncurls Registered Users Posts: 152
    Ok so maybe it's not appropriate for a 2 year old but I want to buy this for my future children just so I can play with it. I saw the commercial last night and wanted to run to the store and get it then.

kota.jpg
    Kota the triceratops! I love him
    Why couldn't they have cool stuff like this when I was little
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]3B
    Beginner CG.
    Currently using; MOP C-System Hydrating Conditioner (once a week), Aloeba Conditioner,CHS Curl Keeper, Jessicurl RR and CCSS, KBB Hair Milk (Sometimes)
    Hopelessly Devoted to: My diffuser
    Northern New Jersey by way of the South.

"In a perfect world every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."
  • curly_keltiecurly_keltie Registered Users Posts: 791
    How much are you looking to spend?

For DS's 2nd birthday, I bought him a Step 2 Art Desk, The desk flips up to become an easel, and comes down to be a desktop. It also comes with a stool and 6 storage bins for arts supplies. He loves it and I know he will use it for a long time to come.
    Long, blonde, 3a/mostly b hair.

78Da.jpg78Dam6.png

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file