I need help going CG!

seejayseejay Registered Users Posts: 20
I apologize if this is lengthy, or if I ask any questions that have already been addressed! I've searched through threads and am still confused.

So, I want to go CG but I have no idea what I'm doing. I think I want to do a low poo version, although I'm not entirely clear on the idea. I have no idea where to start/what products to buy. I don't want to have to use a lot on my hair, just a few in the shower and 2, maaaybe 3 after. My hair does not do well with mousse or gels. Currently I use Paul Mitchell super skinny serum (I'm pretty sure this will have to go, I don't think it does much for me anyway), Nioxin silk elixir, and my main product is Garnier fructic surf hair. I do like to straighten my hair maybe once a month, just for a change. I don't blowdry it, I just comb it out, which takes out my curl and makes it poofy, and let it air dry, then use a flat iron. Oh, and I think I'm a 3a, although sometimes it seems more like a 2.

Can someone PLEASE just tell me exactly what I need to do here? And maybe a list of what products I should try, preferable ones that I can buy in a store? Thanks so much, and I apologize for my newbie ignorace!
Mostly 3A

Just went modified CG! :icon_smile:

Comments

• curlyjenn10curlyjenn10 Registered Users Posts: 2,034
    Definitely check out the product review section, there are lots of ideas there. Here's another list:

http://healthycurls.awardspace.com/free.html

One of, if not THE, most important things about starting CG is knowing your ingredients. A lot of how your hair reacts revolves around the ingredients of the products you are using.

Also, education is key. Reading is a big thing. There is a LOT of information here, and that can be overwhelming, but it's really useful stuff. Read questions people have, what products people have, and stuff about ingredients.

You'd be surprised how well your curls will do with gel once you ditch the silicone-laden products. I was never a gel person before, and now I can't imagine not using it.
    CG since 6/15/08!
    Medium-Fine/Normal Porosity

http://collegecurly.blogspot.com/
  • kathymackkathymack Registered Users Posts: 9,999 Curl Neophyte
    Here's a thread that has a lot of useful links for beginners:

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=47564
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • seejayseejay Registered Users Posts: 20
    Thanks for the responses!. Kathymack, that thread was especially helpful.

I did a clarifying wash yesterday so I guess today is my first day CG. I still have some questions though...

1.When I was out buying new products, I picked up some shea butter. Then, while looking around the boards yesterday I read that mineral oil and petrolatum aren't good CG ingredients. Is that true? Does that mean I shouldn't use this?

2. I'm getting my hair trimmed in a few weeks and I'm worried about what they're going to wash my hair with. What do ya'll do when it comes to this? Do salons have shampoo and conditioner w/o sulfate and cones, or do I just skip the wash?

3. Finally, I bought some Sunsilk captivating curls creme. The ingredients look okay to me, but I'm a total rookie so could someone tell me for sure? It has:
    Water (Aqua), Cyclopentasiloxane, Polyquaternium 37, Isopropyl Myristate, Cetearyl Alcohol, Polyquaternium 4, Propylene Glycol Dicaprylate/Dicaprate, Fragrance (Parfum), Behentrimonium Chloride, Glyceryl Stearate, DMDM Hydantoin, PPG 1 Trideceth 6, Propylene Glycol, Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Tetrasodium EDTA, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract (Aloe Vera), Sorbitol, Algae Extract, Yellow 5 (CI 19140), Green 3 (CI 42053)
    Mostly 3A

Just went modified CG! :icon_smile:
  • Laura LeeLaura Lee Registered Users Posts: 1,828
    Mineral oil and petrolatum require sulfate (bad stuff in shampoo) to get rid of them because they are petroleum-derived (yuck!)

About getting your hair cut: check out the "CurlSalons" section (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlsalons) and search for a CG friendly salon in your city. If there isn't one, ask your stylist if you can bring your own products. If they cut your hair dry (which is the way Lorraine Massey says all curly hair should be cut) then you could just show up with your hair already co-washed and styled. If they don't cut hair dry, maybe you should try and find someone who does or if you're totally in love with your stylist, just bring your own things. Your stylist may be interested to learn some new things about curly hair!

The Sunsilk isn't ok. It has a cone as the second ingredient. Anything that ends in -cone or -xane (as in cyclopentasiloxane) is a silicone and will require a sulfate shampoo to remove.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file