Shampoo for thick curly hair?

CrazyCurlyHairedGuyCrazyCurlyHairedGuy Registered Users Posts: 151
Hello everyone! Ok so I'm 18 and I have SUPER THICK shoulder length curly hair lol. I actually didn't even know i had curly hair until I started letting my hair grow out. I always had it buzzed cut when I was a child and then about 1.5 ago i decided i wanted a change. And at first my hair was just straight, and then it went wavy..and then it seemed like a few months later i woke up and my hair was curly! It was so weird! Anywho, flash forward to present day. Now I've noticed that the longer my hair get's..the THICKER it gets. And I mean it's really thick! I have a twin, who's a girl, and we are both semi-biracial. I say semi because my mom is half white half black, and my dad is black so where are like 1/4 and 3/4. But anyways, my mom was combing my hair for me a few days ago and she was shocked at how thick my hair really was said that this was the reason why she took my sister to get a relaxer when she was 10. She said it was too long and thick for her to handle and then I was telling her about my shampooing issuses and she said she had the same problems with my sister as well so she didn't know how to help me. Well i guess i should get to my problem right? lol

My hair is so thick that i don't know if i'm actually cleaning my scalp! Or if i'm getting the conditioner/shampoo out. I only wash my hair like once or twice a week...but i've noticed that sometimes after i get out of the shower my scalp is sometimes a little itchy and then on another day i'll scatch my scalp and i can feel hard caked up stuff stuck to my scalp that i have to basically chisel it off my scalp..it's digusting! Does anyone have any tips for getting my scalp cleaned without washing it everyday? Or any suggestions on shampoos to use? I usually vary between Herbal Essences Totally Twisted shampoo, or Sunsilk Capitivating Curls shampoo. Please help! lol

*Oh and I decided to attach a picture too if that would help! The white stuff in my hair is conditioner lol.
m172872841.jpg
CG Since Nov 2008 and Currently using:
Co-wash: VO5 strawberries and cream
Conditioner: Suave Fresh Mountain Strawberries
Gel:Fantasia IC Gel w/ Sparklites(only use when pulling my hair back in slick ponytail)

Follow Me on Twitter~~~~~>www.twitter.com/CourtneyAllenW

Comments

• marxmarx Registered Users Posts: 52
    Hej CCHG!

Funny, my hair also seems to get curlier the longer it is..

I also had the same problem as you. When I had longer hair (that was until last week) I tried to shampoo my hair every other day, but usually I ended up doing it every fourth day. I didn't use much product. What I did use was hairspray, which wasn't good. I liked mousse better. And other than that I hardly ever combed my hair.

My sister told me that I'm supposed to only shampoo my scalp, but most of the time I ended up shampooing my whole hair. Perhaps if you know how to shampoo only your scalp, you'll be able to do it more often.
    The shampoo you use oftentimes also makes a difference. Perhaps you should just try different kinds of shampoos and decide which one is the best for you.

Good luck!

marx
    according to Fia's.
  • CurlLeeCurlLee Registered Users Posts: 221
    i have thick hair too...
    and i also never seem to be about to just "wash my scalp" like everyone say you should to, lol.

but what i use is giovanni tea tree triple treat shampoo. it tingles, so i know if it is on my scalp or not.
    3b here 4a there 3c everywhere
    talk about a mix up :toothy10:

elevator doors open...

random girl: ohhh, you have curly hair

elevator doors begins to close...

random girl's friend:i think he knows that already

elevator doors close...
  • CrazyCurlyHairedGuyCrazyCurlyHairedGuy Registered Users Posts: 151
    Thanks guys! I'm considering going CG after what happened this morning. I normally use a 2-in-1 shampoo and conditioner when i "shampoo" my hair because i figured it would be less drying, and then I would use my normal conditioner after that. But this morning I had to use just regular shampoo because i had so much gel and product and all this other mess in my hair from my friends in who are in Cosmo school, experimenting with my hair last night. So I need to really strip my hair of all that mess..but it was such a bad decision..my hair reacted BADLY to that 100% shampoo..I believe it was Sunsilk or something like that. My hair expanded REALLY badly..and it took like 20 minutes to actually wash out ALL of the shampoo..it was like the shampoo made my hair even thicker and harder to penetrate. And then after I got all the shampoo out..my hair felt like straw..like the straw that comes on those cheap brooms!..and deep conditioner my hair like 2 or 3 times it finally came back to life..but it was bad. So yeah i think no more shampoo for me! lol

Marx - yeah i heard that you're only suppose to shampoo your scalp too..but it's kind hard when you have thick hair..it's harder to get the product to your scalp without getting it throughout your hair too...so i end up shampoo it all lol.

CurlLee - Where could i buy some of that Giovanni stuff? Another girl said something about it but I've never seen it before.
    Gel:Fantasia IC Gel w/ Sparklites(only use when pulling my hair back in slick ponytail)

• CurlLeeCurlLee Registered Users Posts: 221
    i get it at rite aid...
    not sure where else you can get it tho
    it has no sulfates, so u don't have to worry
    about it stripping your hair

n u might want to cut it out with ya friends trying stuff in ya hair. curly hair you can mess with like that too much. i had to stop my female friends from doing that a long time ago. they were upset for a min, but they got ova it. lol.
    3b here 4a there 3c everywhere
    talk about a mix up :toothy10:

elevator doors open...

random girl: ohhh, you have curly hair

elevator doors begins to close...

random girl's friend:i think he knows that already

elevator doors close...
  • CrazyCurlyHairedGuyCrazyCurlyHairedGuy Registered Users Posts: 151
    Haha yeah I told them my hair was off limits now lol. They'll have to go back to using those mannequin heads! Now i have to work on my mother staying out of my hair! She has no idea what she's doing, but she LOVES to brush it....DRY...with a PADDLE BRUSH..and then get this HARDDDDD boar brush and slick it back into a ponytail and talk about how pretty it is! And i'm like "pretty?!?!" I literally have to go take some Motrin because my head is in so much pain! THEN when i wont let her do it, she'll guilt me into it by saying "Well one day I won't be around anymore and you'll wish you would've let me play with your hair more......" ....:rolleyes: Moms :rolleyes:...

And I'm OH so excited I finally got the Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Shampoo! I also got the conditioner as well since I decided to jump on the CG bandwagon lol

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file