Thinking of BC chop 3 months into transition

fricasisfricasis Registered Users Posts: 19
Ok after my last rant about my weave, I decided to take it off and count it as a loss. I was intially thinking off BC Aug 2009 which will be about one year into my journey. However it is only 3 months I cannot stand the two textures. I cannot seen to get any of the protective styles such as braidout, twist outs and my buns do not come out well or decent enough to wear to work.I have about 1-2inchs of newgrowth depending on where you look and 7inchs of relaxed hair. So I having being thinking of BC. Now to all my sistas out there, have any of you BC just few months into your journey, esp those working in a Corporate America.How did people and cowokers think. What will be you advise to me BC or not to BC.:glasses7:
Failed to load the poll.
Failed to load the poll.
I am a divine original fashioned by God to be radiantly beautiful.:angel10:

url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
event.png
[/url]

Comments

• SummerRubySummerRuby Registered Users Posts: 468
    I think you should BC; it's so much easier than transitioning because you don't have to deal with two totally different textures, so you'll be less likely to get frustrated and relax your hair. You'd be able to just wet your hair in the morning and go, so no worries about styling either lol. You'll also be able to jump right into the scene and see your natural texture immediately and experiment to see what your hair likes and doesn't like. And that's just awesome, in my opinion.

I transitioned for maybe about a month at most. I got a professional relaxer done at the end of September (I don't know why because I didn't want it in the first place) and I let my hair rest and grow out until the beginning of November. I went to a natural salon to get twists, but they couldn't twist my relaxed hair so they had to cut off most of the perm. I ended up hating the twists, so I just wet my hair and took out the twists. I had my mom (who's experienced with cutting) cut off even more of the relaxed ends and shape up my hair and I now relish in my natural-ness.

After my BC, I let my hair grow for a few weeks. In those few weeks, I discovered that my texture is mostly somewhere around 3b/c. I also found out my hair isn't a big fan of heavy oils, Carol's Daughter Khoret Amen Hair Oil in particular. It was too heavy and greasy and weighed my hair down; it sat on top of my head literally all day and my hair took forever to absorb it; the scent was decent at best and it was way too expensive. I also discovered that my hair is a fan of lighter oils; I now use Desert Essence pure jojoba oil, and it's so much better and much more affordable.

Anyway, to end my monologue (lol), I'm pro-BC. I'm way too impatient to transition, but that's just me. I've been wanting to quit relaxers for quite a while, and I have no problem with having short hair. Good luck with your journey.

• Stephanie198907Stephanie198907 Registered Users Posts: 2,607 Curl Neophyte
    I would have big chopped a long time ago except I don't think I have the face and head for short hair. A lot of women who transition for long periods of time do so for that reason. If you feel you look good w/ short hair I say cut it. If you cut and you do not like your hair there is always the option of braids, wigs, twists, and etc. Im sure you'll look great either way :)
    Last Relaxer: Nov. 07
    BC: May. 2010 (30 months)
    Hair Type: thick 4b/4a
    Current length: back at APL
    Goal length: hip :color:
    Staples: natural growth aides
  • DSTurbinglysoulfulDSTurbinglysoulful Registered Users Posts: 38
    Hey--I BC'ed at 5 months and it was the best decision I could have made for my hair. I have 4A hair and I couldn't stand the two textures either.

After having braids for 2 months, I took out the braids any my permed hair was tangled, matted, dry...a mess!

I made the quick decision to just BC (2 weeks ago) and I don't regret it for one moment. If you can see yourself with short hair (pull your hair back into a tight bun, that will give you an idea of what you'll look like) then I say go for it!
    Last perm: May 30, 2008
    Big Chopped on: November 2, 2008!!!
    Co-wash every other day
    Leave in Fantasia IC Conditioner
    Fantasia IC gel
    Miss Jessies
    DPL
    ...I'm trying something different every other day to see what works!
    :nike:

event.png

event.png

• Booker Ts MamaBooker Ts Mama Registered Users Posts: 670
    Well, I "transitioned" for all of 2 months. My hair was already short and I really didn't care about having long hair. I went to the barber shop and let the barber cut it all off. It was the best decision I've ever made. I was tired of trying to tie my hair down to make it lay flat and not look so crazy. I say go for it!!! It's only hair.

As far as my co-workers go, some of them loved it and others looked at me as if I went and got all my fingers cut off on purpose. I told them "it's only hair; it will grow back". But, honestly, if it's what you want to do, who cares what they think or say. Girl, rock that short hair!!

• cysycacysyca Registered Users Posts: 362
    I'm transitioning too and its been almost 7 months and it's hard but I'm determined to wait ONLY 1 year before my BC.

If you feel it's the right time, go for it.
    Live For Today!
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Registered Users Posts: 15,402 Curl Neophyte
    Why do a poll? You are ready to BC when you are ready. As to corporations, the N. American Director of Human Resources in my Fortune 100 rated corporation wears a TWA. And you've seen my hair. I've had natural or natural looking hair since 1987 when I started in corporate life.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    You sound ready. Go for it! Get some pretty barretts, headbands, and scarves and you'll be all set for pretty 100% natural hair. :D
  • fricasisfricasis Registered Users Posts: 19
    Thanks for all those who replied, you were all right I was sooo ready to go natural. Fo the last year I have being thinking of going naturally only to chicken out beco's of family or friends.Thank God I found this blog.Thanks you all.:afro: BC 11/14/08. Now I can nurse my hair back to health.
    I am a divine original fashioned by God to be radiantly beautiful.:angel10:

url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
    event.png
    [/url]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file