Protecting Hair While It's 'Out'

msjokermsjoker Posts: 1,658Registered Users
I don't do any protective styles at all. So I was wondering if any girls here also don't do protective styles and if you don't, is there anything special you do to protect your hair?
"It moisturizes my situation... preserves my sexy."

Comments

• semperfemmesemperfemme Posts: 64Registered Users
    I don't do protective styles either, mainly because I'm too lazy to do it my self and too broke to pay someone else. Since I wear my hair out all the time, I'll use a heavy hair butter mixture to keep my hair from becoming dried out or brittle. This is how I was able to wear wash n' gos in the winter with little problem.

All of my hair butter mixtures contain Beta Carotene to help with extra strength and a base oil that can act as a sunscreen.

I've been using African Royale's Daily Doctor mixed with EO's as a leave in with good results. (Moisture + softness)

I also attempt to deep condition at least 2 times per week during the winter. As the weather gets warmer it shrinks down to once a week.

I always wear a satin bonnet to sleep, and I haven't used any heat since my B.C. about 1 year ago.

I guess I tailor my whole care regiment to the fact that my hair will always be exposed to the elements.
    4A spiral, coily mass of ginger fluff and candy bobble mushroom
    2nd Quite;First Quit ended after 5 months; 3 days nicotine free
    Thanks for the support!
    100% natural, 75% Vegetarian
    http://public.fotki.com/semperfemme/
    password: nappy
  • msjokermsjoker Posts: 1,658Registered Users
    Thanks so much, Semperfemme! What eo's do you mix with daily doctor?
  • TroDousTroDous Posts: 241Registered Users
    I'm still trying to figure this out....that Betacarotene sounds like a good idea to try.
    Coily, springy, major shrinkage!
    Ms. Joker : I like using Bergamont, Rosemary, Sage, Lavender, and Ylang Ylang in the Daily Doctor. I know all of the EO's serve a purpose in enriching hair, but I honestly can't remember what exactly each one does. I just know that when I get the formulation just right, it's the most heavenly scent imaginable.

TruDous: Beta Carotene is always a good idea. Why spend close to $10 on someones diluted version of "carrot oil" when Ican get the pure Vit. A from walmart for $5-7 a bottle!

And consider this...I only use 1-2 capsules per product/mixture. Multiply that times the number of capsules (normally over 50) and I've saved myself a lot of money. [/b]
    Thanks for the support!
  • BunnyBunny Posts: 93Registered Users
    I rarely do protective styles, except maybe a puff when I'm traveling.

I noticed that my hair was actually healthier when I had it out. When I wore puffs or buns, my hair seemed weak around the area I put in the scrunchie.

I do use satin pillowcases to protect my hair while sleeping and might put a little extra oil on when the back of my head gets dry (which it can from sitting up against seats, etc.)
    My hair type: 3C in the lower back, 3C/4A everywhere else... tons of coils from pencil diameter to watchspring

Album password: curly
  • TroDousTroDous Posts: 241Registered Users
    TruDous: Beta Carotene is always a good idea. Why spend close to $10 on someones diluted version of "carrot oil" when Ican get the pure Vit. A from walmart for $5-7 a bottle!

And consider this...I only use 1-2 capsules per product/mixture. Multiply that times the number of capsules (normally over 50) and I've saved myself a lot of money. [/b]
    Ooooh, that sounds luscious....lol. Thanks for this info, I'm gonna try and get some tomorrow
    Coily, springy, major shrinkage!
    Thanks again, Semperfemme! Hey, that rhymes!! I'm so excited about this because I really thought I would have to do protective styles and I'm so style challenged, my hair would be the laughing stock! :oops: :lol:
  • hairhealthhairhealth Posts: 90Registered Users
    Bunny wrote:

I noticed that my hair was actually healthier when I had it out. When I wore puffs or buns, my hair seemed weak around the area I put in the scrunchie.

I do use satin pillowcases to protect my hair while sleeping and might put a little extra oil on when the back of my head gets dry (which it can from sitting up against seats, etc.)

yup, wearing my hair out is really helping my hairline come back...
    growout from baldy since 10/11
    modified cg; cones & mild sulfate 'poo
    -cowash: fave 2: vo5 strawberry
    -rinseout:herbal essencesbodyenvy;color mehappy
    -leave in: infusium 23 repair/renew spray
    -dc: gvp conditioning balm

www.fotki.com/browncoily :toothy4:
    hairhealth wrote:
    Bunny wrote:

yup, wearing my hair out is really helping my hairline come back...

The funny thing is that there is a prevailing notion, amongst many in the natural community, that your hair HAS to be in protective styles to retain length and remain healthy.

This opinion isn't shared by all, but it's almost like a silent rule of sorts.
    Thanks for the support!
  • hairhealthhairhealth Posts: 90Registered Users
    This is sooooo true, Bunny. Twists actually hurt my hair more due to the inevitable knotted hair I get at the bottom when it is time to unravel, REGARDLESS of how gentle I am. It is nice to know others share this notion. 8)
    growout from baldy since 10/11
    modified cg; cones & mild sulfate 'poo
    -cowash: fave 2: vo5 strawberry
    -rinseout:herbal essencesbodyenvy;color mehappy
    -leave in: infusium 23 repair/renew spray
    -dc: gvp conditioning balm

www.fotki.com/browncoily :toothy4:
  • BunnyBunny Posts: 93Registered Users
    I'm definitely cosigning the last few posts!

I think that many folks think that protective styles are important because they prevent the ends from splitting and breaking off. I think this is a legitimate belief, by the way, but I've noticed that it seemed to apply more to my hair when it was relaxed and my ends would snap if you just looked at them.

For about six months (my last six months relaxed), I'd clip my hair behind my head and I noticed that I got quite a bit of length because the ends weren't snagging on clothing and I wasn't brushing the hair as much during the day. So yep, that process worked.

But now, although my ends are the dryest part of my hair simply because they're ends, they aren't very weak and fragile. I don't brush them, I don't manipulate them with flat irons, pressing combs or curling irons, etc., etc., so I don't have to hide them away as much as I used to.

So a simple daily or every-other-day conditioner wash and a detangling is all I need to do! The leave-in conditioner and other styling products I use are moisturizing and more than protective of my strands when I keep my hair out.

And yes! Those knots! Argh! I feel you on that hairhealth!
    My hair type: 3C in the lower back, 3C/4A everywhere else... tons of coils from pencil diameter to watchspring

Album password: curly
  • jeamariajeamaria Posts: 1,851Registered Users
    [ Beta Carotene is always a good idea. Why spend close to $10 on someones diluted version of "carrot oil" when Ican get the pure Vit. A from walmart for $5-7 a bottle!

careful with the pure vitamin A, semperfemme. I recently found out it can cause hair loss when used in excess amounts; that's why people who eat a lot of liver can start to lose their hair from it.

One of the women I found this out from, a biology professor recommended taking betacarotene instead, as it's less easy to overdo (she was talking about diet but I guess it applies to hair as well) and your cells can make the correct amount of Vitamin A from this. But you still have to be moderate with the betacarotene, in case your body makes too much vitamin A from it.
    jeamaria wrote:
    [ Beta Carotene is always a good idea. Why spend close to $10 on someones diluted version of "carrot oil" when Ican get the pure Vit. A from walmart for $5-7 a bottle!

careful with the pure vitamin A, semperfemme. I recently found out it can cause hair loss when used in excess amounts; that's why people who eat a lot of liver can start to lose their hair from it.

One of the women I found this out from, a biology professor recommended taking betacarotene instead, as it's less easy to overdo (she was talking about diet but I guess it applies to hair as well) and your cells can make the correct amount of Vitamin A from this. But you still have to be moderate with the betacarotene, in case your body makes too much vitamin A from it.

Oh yes of course, thanks for placing this warning. That's why I made sure to mention using only one or two capsules. (Most of the time one is sufficient) When I first told my mum about it, she was using 6 to 7 capsules in one formulation, I told her to cut back immediately when I found out. She complained the capsules were turning her hair orange, but using 7 of them might have something to do with that. It's luck that she didn't get ill from it.

One can never be too careful. However, Vitamin A capsules are normally ingested with one normally containing around 25000 IU. Vitamin A poisoning is a result of supplement abuse and extreme amounts have to be consumed before the body starts having adverse reactions. Since this is getting put in a topical butter which will be used a bit at a time (maybe once every other day or so), I'd think the risk of Vitamin A overdose would be relatively low, as long as the individual doesn't use too much.
    Thanks for the support!
  • AfroCurlsAfroCurls Posts: 117Registered Users
    I wear my hair out all the time and the last time I went to get my hair trimmed, my hairdresser told me I didn't have ANY split ends. She went through almost every inch of hair, looking real close and she didn't find ANY. She just cut it into a shape (my hair was some of everywhere).

My hair has also grown fabulously even though I wear it out all the time. I BC'd almost a year ago and I have about 5 1/2 inches of hair. I've also trimmed and shaped it a few times since so I've probably surpassed 6 inches of real growth.
    Fotki PW: PM me for it!
    Big Chopped: April 1, 2005
    My Hair: Tight, thick springy curls with up to 90% shrinkage.
  • travelgirltravelgirl Posts: 71Registered Users
    I'm glad that I saw this post. I was told that I should be wearing a protective style-(there are alot of naturals where I work). But, I enjoy wearing my hair out-I'm glad to see that others are having good results. I just have to continue to watch my ends
    BC: 03/26/05
    CW and no oil
    O with some S
  • stellestelle Posts: 2Registered Users
    :D I too am glad to see this topic. I wear my hair out 99% with the other 1% being at home on weekends or to bed. I have a good growth rate 5-6+ inches (one year after returning to my roots) and I have my hair professionally trimmed every 10 weeks or so. Not seeing ill effects, hearing about the protective styles had me wondering if I was treating my tresses properly.

I no-poo or rinse daily and shampoo whenever I get the urge (generally a couple times per month). I do use good products, giovanni smooth as silk or mop top lemon sage daily condish for no poo, followed by [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Oyin-Handmade-Greg-Juice-p-190.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=oyin-greg-juice-nourishing-herbal-leavein]oyin greg juice[/buylink] or aveda elixr, and [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Oyin-Handmade-Whipped-Pudding-p-353.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=oyin-whipped-pudding]oyin whipped pudding[/buylink] or [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Oyin-Handmade-Whipped-Pudding-p-353.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=oyin-whipped-pudding]whipped pudding[/buylink] / shine define mixed. Recently I've added and often subsitute the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Oyin-Handmade-Whipped-Pudding-p-353.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=oyin-whipped-pudding]whipped pudding[/buylink] for Anita Grant's butters.

Now that you ladies have confirmed that I'm not the only one, I'm convinced that I can keep on keeping on unless problems crop up.
    Thanks for starting this topic msjoker.
    Finally got for real about my hair.
    stelle wrote:
    Thanks for starting this topic msjoker.

No problem, Stelle! I used to read things that said 'oh, if you want healthy natural hair, you MUST wear protective styles almost all the time.' I want to have fun with my hair and I'm also style-challenged so I knew there had to be alternatives.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file