Newbie: 12 weeks post relaxer

GermanCurlyGermanCurly Registered Users Posts: 123
Hi, I am from Germany and also transitioning. Since there aren't many colored people here to share my experiences I'm glad I found this forum! :blob7:
I am currently 12 weeks post relaxer. I started transitioning because I was curious about my real texture. I haven't cut my hair yet. Although it looks shorter because of the curls it still reaches my bra-line when it's wet.

Attached you will find some pictures of my hair.

Fortunately I'm not facing any breakage yet and I really enjoy my NG:toothy7:

GermanCurly
mother-tongue: German:tongue3: - sorry for the mistakes I'll make!!!
3c/4a
Last relaxer: August 14, 2008
BC: July 11, 2009
Fotki - PM for PW or leave a message in my guestbook
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

event.png

Comments

• mixededmixeded Registered Users Posts: 381
    Hi, I am from Germany and also transitioning. Since there aren't many colored people here to share my experiences I'm glad I found this forum! :blob7:
    I am currently 12 weeks post relaxer. I started transitioning because I was curious about my real texture. I haven't cut my hair yet. Although it looks shorter because of the curls it still reaches my bra-line when it's wet.

Attached you will find some pictures of my hair.

Fortunately I'm not facing any breakage yet and I really enjoy my NG:toothy7:

GermanCurly

Willkommen! :)

You'll find a wealth of knowledge here just looking around. Any other questions, feel free to ask.

Happy transitioning!
    :duckie: Fotki!
    Last relaxer: Feb. 2008
    Big Chop:
    Jan. 2009
  • GermanCurlyGermanCurly Registered Users Posts: 123
    Vielen Dank:hello2:!!
    And here comes my first question: Is there anybody out there who is also 12 weeks post relaxer? I'd like to stay in contact with you so that we can exchange experiences...

And the second question: Is it possible to wash and go while transitioning? Or will the relaxed hair get tangled?

Many thanks in advance
    GC
    3c/4a
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

event.png
  • jessicas-jewels.comjessicas-jewels.com Registered Users Posts: 19
    I just hit 12 weeks last saturday and I'm happy you posted!

I currently wear a wash-n-go every day. Sometime I use a thin elastic headband (like a bra-strap), Mostly, I let my hair do what it wants.

I had a texturizer 12 weeks ago, which loosened by curl, but there isn't a huge difference in textures. I am noticing a huge difference in volume and thickness! It takes me a minute or two to get to my scalp these days.

I do conditioner wash every morning and I just started experimenting with glycerine, to help me retain moisture. I've had some bad breakage, but (hopefully!) I'm seeing the end of that!

Good luck and keep in touch,
    Jessica
    Hi Jessica,

thanks for your post!
    I'm sad to hear you're facing breakage:sad1:
    You could try my favorite conditioner: It is called porosity control from a company called ROUX. Since I'm living in Germany I don't know where you could buy it in the States. This stuff really worked wonders while I still wore my hair relaxed and it is still the best conditioner I can find. It sort of resurfaces the hair and increases its elasticity. It also detangles perfectly.

I wash my hear every 4-5 days with a baby mild shampoo (I'm curious about trying a co-wash. Read so many good things about it...) and wear braid outs. I'd love to try a wash'n'go but I think it's too dangerous.:roll:My NG is curly and thick (easy to comb though) and my relaxed hair is only wavy. I think besides that it may look stupid and stringy I'm afraid the relaxed hair will tangle...

How long do you plan to transition? Sometimes I want to transition for at least a year so that I don't lose so much of my length and somdays I want to BC as soon as possible. We'll see...

Looking forward to hearing from you again!
    Take care!!
    3c/4a
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

event.png
  • mamato2mamato2 Registered Users Posts: 34
    Germancurly,

Wow! Your 12-week hair is gorgeous! What did you do/use to get your hair looking like that?

It has been @ 3 1/2 months since my last relaxer.
    I too, have wondered what it would be like to do a wash n' go, but I am now just playing it safe with a flat iron every 2 weeks.

I'm trying to stay away from ponytails to prevent breakage.

:angel11: How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant of the weak and the strong -- because someday you will have been all of these.
    --George Washington Carver
    I did the sink-or-float test with a strand of hair about a month ago and found Roux products just in time to help. You're absolutely right, it's the best! I shampoo and condition with their Corrector and Shampoo once a week now and it's improved my hair tremendously. Listening to your hair can't be wrong!

I don't know how long I'll transition. My hair is fairly short (ear length bob) and my style options are a little limited. I live in Chicago, which is right on a lake, so the weather here is usually humid and very windy at times. I've used the Ion line of curly products for the last 3 weeks with much success. For my co-wash, I use the Curl Defining Conditioner:
    http://www.sallybeauty.com/Ion-Curl-Conditioner/SBS-302502,default,pd.html

And the only reason I haven't started blowing out my hair larely is their curl defining creme: http://www.sallybeauty.com/Curl-Defining-Creme/SBS-302507,default,pd.html

That plus a little glycerine and I'm set for the day.

Your hair is gorgeous! What other products are in your daily routine?

Thx,
    JW
    Thank you both for complimenting me!:love7:
    I’m sort of a product junkie and I’ve got far to many products in my bathroom. I’m trying do decrease their number and gave many of them away.
    But since there are still so many which I can’t throw away I’m trying to use them little by little until their used up. This is why I use so many of them. :tongue3:
    My weekly routine:
    • Before I wash my hair I detangle it. I use a cheap leave-in-conditioner spray from a German brand http://www.glisskur.de/index.php?id=51 (a relict from my product – junkie time…it isn’t that good when it dries, but it’s good for combing/ brushing) and a very soft brush to detangle my relaxed hair. To detangle my NG I use my fingers.
    • I wash my scalp carefully with L’Oreal Glatt Intense Shampoo (I think it must be this one in the States http://international.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=160150&catid=10339&aid=333181&aparam=sespider though the bottle looks totally different)
    • I apply Porosity Control http://rouxblue.com/porosity_cond.asp to my hair and finger comb it. I let it sit a little before I rinse it off.
    • After stepping out of the shower I divide my hair in half and apply Kids Organics Shea Butter detangler http://texasbeautysupplycom.stores.yahoo.net/ab56712.html to both sides. One side is secured with a clip.
    • Then I braid my hair into 6 braids each side. Each section is prepared with one drop of frizz buster http://store.goldenmartbeautysupply.com/icfrbuse6oz.html, brushed carefully starting at the ends. I stop braiding when I have about 5 inches left, apply a little IC Polisher gel: http://store.goldenmartbeautysupply.com/ichapostgelt.html to the ends for hold, take end paper and a small roller normally used for perms (diameter: approx. 0.6 inch)
    • I put the braids on top of my head and secure them with a scarf. This is more comfortable
    • Then I sit under the bonnet dryer for 20 minutes. This is only necessary because it is too cold to let it air dry right now.
    • I sleep with the braids and the rollers
    • I unbraid my hair the next morning and separate the braids carefully. Done. The result is like on the picture above.
    My daily routine:
    • I finger comb my hair whenever I feel a tangle. Because of the IC gel the curls in the ends don’t get destroyed.
    • At night I wear a scarf
    • Before I leave the house I just spray on a little polisher mist http://store.goldenmartbeautysupply.com/ichapomi6oz.html and that’s it
    • When I feel that the NG needs a little bit more moisture, I spray Hawaiian Silky Hawaiian silky http://texasbeautysupplycom.stores.yahoo.net/hs10016.html to my finger tips and massage it to the NG only. This is also a relict from older time. The conditioner is good for the NG (though much too expensive in Germany! I had to pay 20€ for the bottle!!!) but too heavy for relaxed hair.
    • The style lasts 4-5 days (although it is currently windy and rainy in Germany. I think this is because of the frizz buster).
    @mamato2: Do you flat iron your NG, too? Did you try braid outs or twists out? From the day I decided to transition I stopped wearing my hair straight. It's funny how people reacted. Most of them think, that my "fake curls" are real :angel12:...
    At first I've tried tiwsts outs but braid outs work mich better for me. How long do you plan to transition?
    Have a great day!
    GC
    3c/4a
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

event.png
    mamato2 wrote: »
    Germancurly,

Wow! Your 12-week hair is gorgeous! What did you do/use to get your hair looking like that?

It has been @ 3 1/2 months since my last relaxer.
    I too, have wondered what it would be like to do a wash n' go, but I am now just playing it safe with a flat iron every 2 weeks.

I'm trying to stay away from ponytails to prevent breakage.
    I went through a phase of wearing my hair straight when I attempted to transition the first time. Unfortunately, I gave myself a lot of heat damage! What kind of deep conditioning are you doing?
  • mamato2mamato2 Registered Users Posts: 34
    JessicaW,
    For deep conditioning, I use Curls Curl Ecstacy Hair Tea Conditioner (www.curls.biz) under a plastic hair cap. Then I put on the micro hair cap, also from Curls. It looks like a terry cloth helmet, and it comes with these gel pack inserts that you heat up in the microwave for about a minute and a half. I keep it on for a half and hour, then rinse. It's actually one of the best investments I've made - I can rome around the house and do other things without having to be tied to the hooded dryer. My hair is super soft afterwards.

Germancurly,
    I occasionally do braid-outs, but when I do, I have been doing 2 French braid pigtails, which makes for a big wavy look, and just scrunching the ends. I haven't been blowdrying so my hair is still very damp in the morning. It's getting too cold to have damp hair this fall.

I haven't done twists yet. I think I'll try your method with the rollers on the ends. I like the look of the smaller curls.

I plan to transition until my curly hair is just beyond my shoulders. I have no idea how long it will take - until this summer??:dontknow:

The first time I tried to transition, I got mad jokes from my in-laws. I got frustrated and caved in. I am glad to have found this site with so much support. I believe I'll make it this time.:wave:

:angel11: How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant of the weak and the strong -- because someday you will have been all of these.
    --George Washington Carver
    mamato2 wrote: »
    The first time I tried to transition, I got mad jokes from my in-laws. I got frustrated and caved in. I am glad to have found this site with so much support. I believe I'll make it this time.:wave:

Oh that is so mean! It is a very intimate decision and no one has the right to judge you:angry4:!!! I'm sure you will make it this time!!!

I'm looking forward to hearing the results with the rollers.

Have a great day!
    GC
    3c/4a
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

event.png
    Hi there,

I just hit 15 weeks today:p!
    @Jessicaw and all the other transitioners in this phase of transition: How is it going? Any problems with the two textures? Do you notice a big difference between your textures?
    I still cannot determine my hair type :crybaby: I think I'll have to wait some more weeks...
    Do you guys know your hair type?

Fortunately there is still no breakage but I had to cope with matting lately...I was trying to wear a wash'n'go which was really beautiful in the beginning but after a few days it started to tangle really bad. Not really at the line of decarnation but close to it in the length.

Now I'm braiding my hair again after washing it. This time I did only two big braids and it looks okay. It is now really cold with snow in Germany so I'm wearing my hair in a ponytail anyway.
    I started using Shea Butter and I really like it. I also use it on my face.

Looking forward to your replies :toothy4:
    GC
    3c/4a
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

event.png
  • Nichole23Nichole23 Registered Users Posts: 57
    Hi German,

Your hair is gorgeous. I can't wait to see your natural hair. I'm very frustrated with the hair typing system. I've been told a combination of 3b/3c but my hair doesn't curl like most 3b's or 3c's, its just waving. So I just type it: Type Nichole. lol.

I'm transitioning as well. My last text was in April, so I'm about 7/8 months post. My hair is texturized so my transition thus far has been a breeze. There's a difference in the textures, but they are pretty darn close. So I can say its been easier than some I've seen.

Even with both relaxed and natural hair, I still find my Wash-n-Gos come out nicely. It hasn't been a problem. I never try to detangle while dry, always in the shower.

HTH
    2a7y32g.jpg

Natural | BC: Sept 4th, 2009 | Curl Type: 3c
    Fine | Low Porosity
  • helloyellowbirdhelloyellowbird Banned Banned Users Posts: 1,632
    Nichole23 wrote: »
    Hi German,

Your hair is gorgeous. I can't wait to see your natural hair. I'm very frustrated with the hair typing system. I've been told a combination of 3b/3c but my hair doesn't curl like most 3b's or 3c's, its just waving. So I just type it: Type Nichole. lol.

I'm transitioning as well. My last text was in April, so I'm about 7/8 months post. My hair is texturized so my transition thus far has been a breeze. There's a difference in the textures, but they are pretty darn close. So I can say its been easier than some I've seen.

Even with both relaxed and natural hair, I still find my Wash-n-Gos come out nicely. It hasn't been a problem. I never try to detangle while dry, always in the shower.

HTH

It's really hard to tell what your natural hair will look like without the relaxer. Relaxed hair tens to weigh the hair down and may change the texture. Otherwise, all of use would be 2's if you know what I am saying. Teehee
    Hi yellowbird! Seems like we both started transitioning at the same time:hello2:Nice to meet you! How long do you plan to transition? What is your favorite transitioning style?
    I'm still looking for my perfect style. Today I feel a little discouraged. My hair doesn't look nice...
    Last time I washed it I braided it into two big braids. It is now almost straight except the NG and I can only wear it in a pony tail or a bun. It looks so boring... :sad6:

I like the way it looked after plopping and air drying it but it tangled so bad.
    @Nichole: I'd love to see more pix of your hair! What do you do to prevent your hair from tangling? Could you please describe your routine? When do you plan to BC

When I wore my hair straight it took me 3 hours to wash and style it. I'd love to find a style that requires less time since I'm washing it twice a week now. Even braids out or twists out require at least an hour :sad1:.

Few days ago I've noticed for the first time that I have many different textures. My NG is wavy/curly in front and at the neck. I've even noticed an almost straight part! And in the middle there are these tiny, tiny curls...:dontknow:

I'm sometimes afraid that my natural hair doesn't look nice and will be hard to deal with because of its mixture. I'm sure I will never relax it again but still...

Are you also sometimes afraid?
    GC
    3c/4a
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

event.png
    Hi yellowbird! Seems like we both started transitioning at the same time:hello2:Nice to meet you! How long do you plan to transition? What is your favorite transitioning style?
    I'm still looking for my perfect style. Today I feel a little discouraged. My hair doesn't look nice...
    Last time I washed it I braided it into two big braids. It is now almost straight except the NG and I can only wear it in a pony tail or a bun. It looks so boring... :sad6:

I like the way it looked after plopping and air drying it but it tangled so bad.
    @Nichole: I'd love to see more pix of your hair! What do you do to prevent your hair from tangling? Could you please describe your routine? When do you plan to BC

When I wore my hair straight it took me 3 hours to wash and style it. I'd love to find a style that requires less time since I'm washing it twice a week now. Even braids out or twists out require at least an hour :sad1:.

Few days ago I've noticed for the first time that I have many different textures. My NG is wavy/curly in front and at the neck. I've even noticed an almost straight part! And in the middle there are these tiny, tiny curls...:dontknow:

I'm sometimes afraid that my natural hair doesn't look nice and will be hard to deal with because of its mixture. I'm sure I will never relax it again but still...

Are you also sometimes afraid?
    GC

Grüß gott. I'm not really sure how long I plan to transition. I would actually like to cut off my hair now but :S IDK... I typically just wear my hair down or in pig tails. It's easier for me. Or a pony tail. Pretty boring, I know.

The back of my head looks a lot like yours. I think the mid section is a lot alike. My hair is 3c mostly, but the nape seems like 3b. It's straighter than the rest

Grüß gott. I'm not really sure how long I plan to transition. I would actually like to cut off my hair now but :S IDK... I typically just wear my hair down or in pig tails. It's easier for me. Or a pony tail. Pretty boring, I know.

The back of my head looks a lot like yours. I think the mid section is a lot alike. My hair is 3c mostly, but the nape seems like 3b. It's straighter than the rest
    What is a pig tail :oops:?
    I think I was in a real bad mood this weekend. Now I'm feeling much better;-).
    I've also started thinking about the BC. I'm trying to wait until New Year's Eve 2009 so that I can start with curly hair into 2010.
    But that's what I'm thinking NOW. We'll see...
    How much NG do you have?

Liebe Grüße,
    GC
    3c/4a
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

event.png

Rattenschwänzchen.

Or like two pony tails.
    Big Chop:
    Jan. 2009
    mixeded wrote: »

Rattenschwänzchen.
    Ah, danke:p!
    Your fotki is great!!!!
    3c/4a
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

event.png
    mixeded wrote: »

Rattenschwänzchen.
    Ah, danke:p!
    Your fotki is great!!!!

No problem, and thank you!! It's been a lot of fun to document the growth. Makes me realize I am actually getting somewhere, hehe!
    8)
    Big Chop:
    Jan. 2009
    Hello fellow transitioners!:wave:
    I think we're all around 14-16 weeks into the process here. I am running into some issues with my curls now that it's cold and snowy here in chicago. I'm trying to figure out if I'll just have awful hat hair until March!

Has anyone ever plopped under a hat for their morning commute and then shaken out at work? So far I've just been refreshing my hair with a glycerine and water mix, but I feel like there's got to be a better way to not freeze, but still have cute curls. Let me know how you guys are getting through the winter where you are.

I think I was in a real bad mood this weekend. Now I'm feeling much better;-).
    I've also started thinking about the BC. I'm trying to wait until New Year's Eve 2009 so that I can start with curly hair into 2010.
    But that's what I'm thinking NOW. We'll see...
    How much NG do you have?

Liebe Grüße,
    GC

I think I have around 2 to 3 inches of new growth.
    Wow! Your hair grows pretty fast! :eek:My NG is approx. 4-5 cm which is 1.5 - 2inches long.
    3c/4a
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

event.png
    Hi everyone:hello2:,
    it's me again. I'm so excited! I just cut 1.5 inches of my hair! I did it myself like proposed here http://community.livejournal.com/feyeselftrim

This shows how much I'm changing right now. I've been so proud of my long relaxed hair during the last years and now my natural hair means so much more to me:happy7:
    I'm really happy! I'm planning to cut my hair little by little the next months...
    3c/4a
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

event.png
    Congrats! Taking your hair cut into your own hands is a very brave thing. I'm sure you look gorgeous, before and after!

I feel like my hair is just getting fuller, not longer. It's still a step in the right direction, but I'll wait a bit before following your footsteps with a 1.5 inch trim!
    My hair gets fuller, too. This is really funny since it only gets fuller on top of my hat:icon_smile:. Looks like my head is growing c035.gif...
    Compared to this my ponytail is rather thin so I started wearing buns...
    jessicaw wrote:
    I'm sure you look gorgeous, before and after!
    Thanks! You're really sweet a102.gif!
    3c/4a
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

event.png

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file