No-fail flax seed gel - I finally did it...TWICE!

Comments

• belasunabelasuna Posts: 599Registered Users
    I love fsg alone. I used fsg once on top of a leave in and hated it. It made my hair real frizzy. Others always use it over a leave in and love it. You'll have to try it out and see what works for your hair.

Have fun playing with it and experimenting.
    ~belasuna :angel1:
    3a/b, very dry, fine/med-coarse, high porosity
    CG since 7/27/09
    Bella Curl Products
    CW: protein free-cleansing creme
    CO: protein free MRcondish
    Styler: FSG + protein free LI Elixir, Gellie, Shine & Seal Serum
    Lady of Elixir, Keeper of the Secret Blend, in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • CaladhielCaladhiel Posts: 134Registered Users
    I'm about to go and make my first batch but I have a question. I'm going to boil the seeds for 10 minutes and then strain them, in case I found the gel thin and I want it thicker, can I take the liquid back to the pan and boil it for a few minutes until it thickens more?
    -3b, high porosity, medium/fine texture (I guess).
    -CG-ing since 29/9/2008 (on and off)
    -lifeless, limp curls that need all sorts of protein in the universe.
  • curlyhairmichukcurlyhairmichuk Posts: 860Registered Users
    yes you can (make sure you do it before you add anything tho).
    UK curly

fine to medium strands, porous, medium density
    CG May 2009 - low poo occasionally
    Co-wash: Tresemme Naturals
    Styling -Naked Curl Defining Cream, BRHG, Mop Top, FSG
    Product for a good hair day: FSG or Mop Top
    Hair loves protein!
    http://public.fotki.com/curlyhairmichuk/
    new pics added Jan 2012

Enjoying the freedom of going curly!:wave:
    Duchess of Alba, Keeper of the Tartan Curls in The Order of the Curly Crusaders
    yes you can (make sure you do it before you add anything tho).

Ok, thanks sweets :)
  • Pops G-MaPops G-Ma Posts: 201Registered Users
    I tried making my own Flax Seed Gel then decided to give BB a try and received my first order a few days ago. BB will make it specifically for your hair type. (avocado oil, Honeyquat and Honey were added) Take a lQQk at my pic b4 CG, then one week later and after using BB's gel
    HAIR DESCRIPTION:
    Wavy, Coarse Porous & Dry

FAVORITE PRODUCTS:

CJDF(Co-Wash)
    CJH&B (Rinse out)
    CCCC Lite
    CIAB
    Biosilk Rock Hard Gel or HESMU
    36_1_60.gif
  • AlexjoujouAlexjoujou Posts: 2,364Registered Users
    I found the trick to making good FSG is to not over boil/cook it. I pull mine off immediately after it has come to a boil + 1 minute or so. 10 minutes for me would = unstrainable. It's more like 6-8 minutes or so on average.

I have an electric stove so gas may be different (hate the electric...apartment living!) I've had excellent luck with it and I've made it for many of my work colleagues as well.

Pops==as always your hair looks gorgeous!
    FIA 2c/3aFi

Done experimenting! Loving Spiral Solutions products!

Blog: http://thewavytales.blogspot.com/
    Thanks Alex......I'm a virgin when it comes to hair compliments LOL
    I took a lQQk at your album........... Your hair has amazing curls!!! Are you going to grow it longer? If so.........it would only lQQK more amazing.
    HAIR DESCRIPTION:

FAVORITE PRODUCTS:

CJDF(Co-Wash)
    CJH&B (Rinse out)
    CCCC Lite
    CIAB
    36_1_60.gif
  • AlexjoujouAlexjoujou Posts: 2,364Registered Users
    Thanks Pops!

I am going to try and grow it. I've had it short for a long time. It used to be to my waist...but I got it cut when I got divorced :lol: since he liked it long.

I love your length! Your hair just looks gorgeous with the CG method!
    FIA 2c/3aFi

Done experimenting! Loving Spiral Solutions products!

Blog: http://thewavytales.blogspot.com/
    does anyone know if the two can be mixed together? I purchased BB Flax Seed and want to add seamollient to the mixture but not sure if this can be done.
    HAIR DESCRIPTION:

FAVORITE PRODUCTS:

CJDF(Co-Wash)
    CJH&B (Rinse out)
    CCCC Lite
    CIAB
    36_1_60.gif
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Lots of us add SeaMollient to FSG. I add mine at about 2oz SeaMollient to 4oz of FSG. Just remember, you can't freeze SeaMollient.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks Kathy.....i just wasn't sure if combining the two into one bottle would be harmful.
    HAIR DESCRIPTION:

FAVORITE PRODUCTS:

CJDF(Co-Wash)
    CJH&B (Rinse out)
    CCCC Lite
    CIAB
    36_1_60.gif
    Pops G-Ma wrote: »
    Thanks Kathy.....i just wasn't sure if combining the two into one bottle would be harmful.

On BB website she offers seamollient as one of her new an additives. If you did not request that she add it in for you, I see no problem with you adding it in yourself. Just shake it up or rewhip it to make sure it disperses throughout since seamollient is very thick. I added seamollient to the FSG I got from BB.
    There is no danger involved. :bom: lol
    CG since 7/27/09
    Bella Curl Products
    belasuna wrote: »
    Pops G-Ma wrote: »

On BB website she offers seamollient as one of her new an additives. If you did not request that she add it in for you, I see no problem with you adding it in yourself. Just shake it up or rewhip it to make sure it disperses throughout since seamollient is

very thick. I added seamollient to the FSG I got from BB.
    There is no danger involved. :bom: lol

LOL - thanks....
    36_1_60.gif
    HAIR DESCRIPTION:

FAVORITE PRODUCTS:

CJDF(Co-Wash)
    CJH&B (Rinse out)
    CCCC Lite
    CIAB
    36_1_60.gif
    I made my first FSG batch (finally!) yesterday and here's how everything went:
    -I used 3 tablespoons of flax seed to 1 1/2 cup of water.
    -I boiled it for about 1 or 2 minutes (until you notice that the water has got thicker, so you get threads when you stick the spoon in, if you know what I mean)
    -I strained right away using a metal strainer
    -finally I boiled it again for about 3 more minutes to get it thicker.

I co-washed, put some leave-in and then I started applying the FSG to (my sopping wet hair) in sections. And boy it was not easy at all. Here is why:
    -The gel was really thick and goopy so I couldn't apply it evenly on all my hair, specially the back part (which was the first poof when it started drying)
    -I always put my leave-in (which is my only styling product actually, it really is thick and creamy so it's enough) on sopping wet hair and once I put it my hair simply stops dripping, as if the leave-in blends with the water and keeps it inside.
    But this time my hair kept dripping and after an hour of applying the gel my hair was very wet I had to get a t-shirt and scrunch that water. I even needed to use a blow dryer to quicken the drying.
    -When I put it in a pineapple my hair was still quite damp :roll: I was like "what the hell?!" but I went to bed anyways!

The result: when I woke up I SOTC, my hair was really soft, weightless and shiny. However, since I had put it in a pineapple when it was damp the curls were kinda crushed and the ends were really not nice.

So next time I'm going to make it less thick so I can have more control whn applying it plus I'm going to put my leave-in in sections after the FSG.

That was long but I felt that I had to share.
    Cheers everyone :)
  • EmberCelesteEmberCeleste Posts: 16Registered Users
    I made a batch of FSG a few days ago and have a texture question. It was really goopy so I used my immersion blender for a few secs. It's a really smooth consistency now, which is better than goopy, but now it's really thin. I've read some people are using xanthum gum with success to thicken and want to try it. Will it blend with the gel cold?
    CG 09/09 3a/3b?, Fine, Porous (I think), Low Density
    CoWash--
    Trying White Rain Tropical Coconut
    Conditioner--
    GVP Conditioning Balm
    Product--
    Playing with homemade FSG
    Eco Styler (might be amazing :))
    yes - you'll need to use the blender though and add it slowly - stop adding/mixing when its the right texture for you.icon7.gif
    UK curly

Hair loves protein!
    new pics added Jan 2012

Caladhiel wrote: »
    I made my first FSG batch (finally!) yesterday and here's how everything went:
    -I used 3 tablespoons of flax seed to 1 1/2 cup of water.
    -I boiled it for about 1 or 2 minutes (until you notice that the water has got thicker, so you get threads when you stick the spoon in, if you know what I mean)
    -I strained right away using a metal strainer
    -finally I boiled it again for about 3 more minutes to get it thicker.

I co-washed, put some leave-in and then I started applying the FSG to (my sopping wet hair) in sections. And boy it was not easy at all. Here is why:
    -The gel was really thick and goopy so I couldn't apply it evenly on all my hair, specially the back part (which was the first poof when it started drying)
    -I always put my leave-in (which is my only styling product actually, it really is thick and creamy so it's enough) on sopping wet hair and once I put it my hair simply stops dripping, as if the leave-in blends with the water and keeps it inside.
    But this time my hair kept dripping and after an hour of applying the gel my hair was very wet I had to get a t-shirt and scrunch that water. I even needed to use a blow dryer to quicken the drying.
    -When I put it in a pineapple my hair was still quite damp :roll: I was like "what the hell?!" but I went to bed anyways!

The result: when I woke up I SOTC, my hair was really soft, weightless and shiny. However, since I had put it in a pineapple when it was damp the curls were kinda crushed and the ends were really not nice.

So next time I'm going to make it less thick so I can have more control whn applying it plus I'm going to put my leave-in in sections after the FSG.

That was long but I felt that I had to share.
    Cheers everyone :)

Not sure if anyone ever mentioned that with FSG your hair will take forever to air dry. Mine takes like 4-5 hours to completely dry. I don't mind it. Just be aware if you are putting in FSG at night you will need lots of time to air dry or you could diffuse. Sorry you had to learn this the hard way.

FSG will also leave your hair dripping. I usally plop which takes care of the dripping. But you can also scrunch with a microfiber towel or tshirt like you did.
    CG since 7/27/09
    Bella Curl Products
  • zcurlygirlzcurlygirl Posts: 217Registered Users
    Okay, I tried it again today, but whatever I'm doing doesn't seem to be working! Here is exactly what I did:

1. Combine 1 cup of water, 1/4 cup of flaxseeds, and 1/4 teaspoon of epsom salts into a pot and turn on high.
    2. Stir occasionally, until it boils. When it starts to boil, stir constantly, until the filmy stuff starts to appear. Then turn it down from high to 8.
    3. Wait about 30 sec. longer and then immediately put into wire mesh strainer.

It strains about 1/8 of a cup and then stops. I could still see the gel on the flaxseeds but it wasn't seperating. Then I tried it again with the same flaxseeds, added 1/2 cup of water and stirred to break the mass of flaxseeds and gel up. When it boiled, I turned the heat down and tried to strain again. This time I got about 1 1/2 tablespoons of gel! Is that the amount I'm supposed to be getting? What am I doing wrong??
    2c/3a/3b
    Co-Wash: TJ's Nourish
    Conditioner: 1/2 TJ's Nourish, 1/2 AO Honeysuckle Rose
    Leave-in: GDLI, CJ Curl Assurance
    Love: Pineappling, FSG and this website!
    CG Since Sept. 5th, 2009!!!:thumbup:

With the help of StruttsWife's E-book:
    Normal Porosity, Fine Texture (who would've thunk!), normal elasticity, and medium density.

PM me if you have suggestions for my hair (i.e. product, etc.), help would be very much appreciated!
    You will get a little less than the amount of water you start out with as some evaporates when boiling. I can't see anything obvious you're doing wrong. When I put the boiled seeds in the strainer I use a spoon to move the seeds in the strainer around to try and get the gel stuff under the seeds and through before they cool - you could try that to see if you get more gel out.
    UK curly

Hair loves protein!
    new pics added Jan 2012

• sweetsevensweetseven Posts: 409Registered Users
    I get about 8 oz of fsg when I use 2 cups of water and 1/4 cup flax seed.

I've never had any problems straining, I also use a spoon to move the flax seeds and push the gel through the mesh strainer.

I'm not sure, but maybe your gel is too thick, try turning the heat down lower than 8 once you see the filmy stuff.
    I turn the heat down to 7 as soon as the water boils, once the filmy stuff appears I turn it down to 5. I then continue to stir for about 5 more minutes.
    3B/3C
    medium/coarse and porous

wash: KC Come Clean, Flower Peddler Northern Lights soap bar
    conditioner: YTT, YTC, KCKT, Shescentit GT&H, Shescentit Avocado, DB Pumpkin Seed, Garnier Ultra Doux, Mop Top daily conditioner
    styler: KCCC, HEBE, homemade fsg, DM MCCG, AOMM
    dt: banana and avocado mask, nexxus emergencee, Shescentit TT&GH, ayurvedic powders, SS RPT
    butters: Jane Carter N&S, Afroveda Curly Custard, Afroveda Cocolatte, Shescentit Gillian, Shescentit Seyani
  • curlprocurlpro Posts: 333Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    sweetseven wrote: »
    I get about 8 oz of fsg when I use 2 cups of water and 1/4 cup flax seed.

I've never had any problems straining, I also use a spoon to move the flax seeds and push the gel through the mesh strainer.

I'm not sure, but maybe your gel is too thick, try turning the heat down lower than 8 once you see the filmy stuff.
    I turn the heat down to 7 as soon as the water boils, once the filmy stuff appears I turn it down to 5. I then continue to stir for about 5 more minutes.
    Me too, I think she may be cooking it too long. Maybe the mesh strainer is too fine, it just has to keep the flax seeds out, try a bigger mesh and see if it helps. Also buy a color bottle or something with a squeeze spout so you can squeeze the gel right on the hair and squish it through while raking your fingers thru and then cup and scrunch up to the scalp. My hair isn't thick but takes about an hour and a half to dry, but it's worth it.
    Cynthia
  • CurlykeyCurlykey Posts: 1,540Registered Users Curl Novice
    I added to my FSG some more ingredients and had really great results with it. I had about a third bottle left of FSG and I added some glycerin (I have no problems using this at all), more AVG, seamollient, and honeyquat. I did not measure it, I just added to my already made up FSG to experiment. My hair turned out great and even after being out in the rain and drizzle a few times, I did not frizz! The water just seemed to reactivate the gel. So.....I will be adding this to my regular recipe. Is there anywhere to get the honeyquat and seamollient for a decent price without having to buy a gallon?
    $5 off first order at iherb use code KEY066
    Hi curlykey, I found this place:
    http://www.wholesalesuppliesplus.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=3268&ProductName=Honeyquat+(Functional+Honey)
    is that long enough or what?
    let me know how you like it, I want to get some soon.
    Cynthia
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    It's possible to get smaller quantities of honeyquat, but not SeaMollient.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CurlykeyCurlykey Posts: 1,540Registered Users Curl Novice
    curlpro wrote: »
    http://www.wholesalesuppliesplus.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=3268&ProductName=Honeyquat+(Functional+Honey)
    Cynthia

Thanks! I don't see that they carry the seamollient.
    $5 off first order at iherb use code KEY066
    zcurlygirl wrote: »
    Okay, I tried it again today, but whatever I'm doing doesn't seem to be working! Here is exactly what I did:

1. Combine 1 cup of water, 1/4 cup of flaxseeds, and 1/4 teaspoon of epsom salts into a pot and turn on high.
    2. Stir occasionally, until it boils. When it starts to boil, stir constantly, until the filmy stuff starts to appear. Then turn it down from high to 8.
    3. Wait about 30 sec. longer and then immediately put into wire mesh strainer.

It strains about 1/8 of a cup and then stops. I could still see the gel on the flaxseeds but it wasn't seperating. Then I tried it again with the same flaxseeds, added 1/2 cup of water and stirred to break the mass of flaxseeds and gel up. When it boiled, I turned the heat down and tried to strain again. This time I got about 1 1/2 tablespoons of gel! Is that the amount I'm supposed to be getting? What am I doing wrong??

I think your strainer is too fine. If you go to bed bath and beyond you'll notice they have different strainers and they all have different size holes. I got one at BBB that came in a set of three. Its a colander on a round base--3 different sizes. The holes are perfect for straining FSG.

With 1 cup of water you should get about 2-3 oz of gel. 2 cups of water will give you about 8 oz of gel. So you see its better to make larger batches and then freeze what you don't need right away.
    CG since 7/27/09
    Bella Curl Products
    2 cups of water, and a bigger mesh you should get 8-10 oz of gel.
    Cynthia
    Curlykey wrote: »
    curlpro wrote: »
    Cynthia

Thanks! I don't see that they carry the seamollient.
    I thought I read Honeyquat, I'm sorryhttp://www.gardenofwisdom.com/catalog/item/4040311/5091395.htm
    That should be it sorry.
    Cynthia
  • nikibabsnikibabs Posts: 7Registered Users
    I made my 1st batch today. I think I either made the first batch too thick or used a too tight strainer. I put the flax seeds back in the pot with more water and the second batch was still goopy but strained easier,I mixed it with the first batch+aloe gel+avocado oil. Haven't used it yet,thats in a few minutes. What I'm wondering what is everyone using for shampoo and conditioner??? I have 3B,sometimes my hairgoes into perfect ringlets,other times its curly and somehwat fuzzy in spots. I started using a small barrell curling iron to make improvements on the spots that don't come out nice. My hair is naturally blonde with some help from boxed haircolor for grey coverage. I have been using Garnier Fructis,which I have thought for the money is quite good,and have used their gels and mousse. My hairdresser told me to apply gel or mousse when the hair is soaking wet still in the shower,and dry with a diffuser on high heat to dry as fast as possible to prevent frizz. She has naturally curly hair too. This is my first post,sorry for the length,but I've had alot of questions. So for starters,I'll leave these questions and hope for a few answers. Thanks all!!!:tongue8::queen:
  • BotticelliBabeBotticelliBabe Posts: 1,574Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Hey niki - welcome to NC.com!

I only have a few minutes here, but I wanted to quick say that the way your hairdresser told you to dry your hair sent red flags flying for me. Fast and hot is a good way to create - not prevent - frizz, at least for me. Do a quick search for "pixiecurling" or "pixiecurl" and you should get some good threads and posts that describe the technique - it's a way of drying your hair in sort of a perma-scrunch using your diffuser, and it REALLY helps a lot of people to cut drastically down on, if not completely eliminate frizz.

Not to say she's not doing fine with her own hair, but if there's one thing we've learned here, it's that just because a stylist has curls (or claims to), it doesn't mean they were ever taught how to treat them. :roll:

Oh, and the shampoo/conditioner/products I use are all listed in my sig. :toothy10:
    BB

35ncsigpic-vi.jpg
    http://www.BotticelliBotanicals.etsy.com
    BSL/Mid Back, thick 3a/b

Botticelli Botanicals Meringue
    Botticelli Botanicals Smoothie
    Botticelli Botanicals Styling Mudd w/ double avocado oil and double agave
    Botticelli Botanicals Lime in the Coconut Butter

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights