No-fail flax seed gel - I finally did it...TWICE!

Comments

• CurlyCowgirlyCurlyCowgirly Posts: 299Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I ACV'ed my hair today, and after my shower, I globbed the FSG on my very wet hair and scrunched the excess with a microfiber towel. I then reapplied a bit more FSG and plopped for 10 mins. Then I clipped up my crown area for about 10 mins and went outside, so the sun mostly dried my hair. I diffused the rest and SOTC'ed. Before diffusing I had to add a little of my aquage gel, because even though the FSG made my hair crunchy, it didn't give my ends good hold. It also gave me thin curls even though I didn't comb my hair at all (combing my wet hair = a thinning curly look). Some of my spirals came out bad. (helix-shaped only at the top; others were loose waves)

On the plus side, my hair looks shiney/soft, but I haven't decided if I like FSG or not.
    I'll have to keep experimenting to get tighter curls. Would mag. sulfate have something to do with this?

Maybe some of you know what's causing the bad curl formation...
    Here's the recipe I used:
    1/4 tsp. mag. sulfate
    1/2 tsp. honey
    10 drops jojoba oil
    1/2 c flaxseed (dark seeds b/c that's all I can find)
    2 c water

Before FSG & after FSG pics are attached:
    Before is the side view & after is the full back view
    Low/Med porosity, very fine, low/med elasticity & density, 3A
    AKA hard to work with hair!

Low-Poo: Kenra Volumizing shampoo, AG Fast Food shampoo
    CO: AG Ultramoist, AO GPB, Nature's Gate Aloe Vera
    Gel: GFCC mousse, HETT, Aquage Megagel
    Also: Aloe Vera juice or Alba Leave-in. Weekly ACV rinse.
    Wishlist: YTC low-poo, Elucence poo, Bioterra Curl Creme, AGEbeautiful Strengthening trtment, SS Repairing Protein Trtment, LuxyHair ext's
  • curlprocurlpro Posts: 333Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I ACV'ed my hair today, and after my shower, I globbed the FSG on my very wet hair and scrunched the excess with a microfiber towel. I then reapplied a bit more FSG and plopped for 10 mins. Then I clipped up my crown area for about 10 mins and went outside, so the sun mostly dried my hair. I diffused the rest and SOTC'ed. Before diffusing I had to add a little of my aquage gel, because even though the FSG made my hair crunchy, it didn't give my ends good hold. It also gave me thin curls even though I didn't comb my hair at all (combing my wet hair = a thinning curly look). Some of my spirals came out bad. (helix-shaped only at the top; others were loose waves)

On the plus side, my hair looks shiney/soft, but I haven't decided if I like FSG or not.
    I'll have to keep experimenting to get tighter curls. Would mag. sulfate have something to do with this?

1/4 tsp. mag. sulfate
    1/2 tsp. honey
    10 drops jojoba oil
    2 c water

Honey is a humectant so if it get's too moist do your curls fall flat? Mine do, so I used Agave nectar, (recommended by Kathymac I think), 2 teaspoons, I added 2 teaspoons of mag sulphate and about 4 teaspoons of Aloe Vera Gel, I would cut the Jojoba down to three drops, try it out and add two drops every day till you get the right amount of moisture to hold ratio. You can add the oil after, day by day, just shake it up well. Also I have to tell you that I use like two ounces in my hair and it is shorter than yours, it is almost dripping it's so saturated, don't be afraid to use a lot at least twice what you are using with other gel etc..I just kept making more and more batches till I got the right formula. I handed out the rejects if you want to call them that to other curlies to try as an experiment.
    Good luck with the science experiment.
    Cynthia
    ps husband loves it now (LOL) his hair stays all day and is easy to break up and looks so shiny. His formula is 1/2 tsp. flax to 2 cups h2o and 4 tbs of aloe vera gel, it's the consistancy of [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curly-Hair-Solutions-Curl-Keeper-p-28.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=curly-hair-solutions-curl-keeper]curl keeper[/buylink]. I made it smell manly with orange and sandlewood, yummy.
    curlpro wrote: »

1/4 tsp. mag. sulfate
    1/2 tsp. honey
    10 drops jojoba oil
    2 c water

Honey is a humectant so if it get's too moist do your curls fall flat? Mine do, so I used Agave nectar, (recommended by Kathymac I think), 2 teaspoons, I added 2 teaspoons of mag sulphate and about 4 teaspoons of Aloe Vera Gel, I would cut the Jojoba down to three drops, try it out and add two drops every day till you get the right amount of moisture to hold ratio. You can add the oil after, day by day, just shake it up well. Also I have to tell you that I use like two ounces in my hair and it is shorter than yours, it is almost dripping it's so saturated, don't be afraid to use a lot at least twice what you are using with other gel etc..I just kept making more and more batches till I got the right formula. I handed out the rejects if you want to call them that to other curlies to try as an experiment.
    Good luck with the science experiment.
    Cynthia
    ps husband loves it now (LOL) his hair stays all day and is easy to break up and looks so shiny. His formula is 1/2 tsp. flax to 2 cups h2o and 4 tbs of aloe vera gel, it's the consistancy of [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curly-Hair-Solutions-Curl-Keeper-p-28.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=curly-hair-solutions-curl-keeper]curl keeper[/buylink]. I made it smell manly with orange and sandlewood, yummy.

Honey could very well be the cause! And thanks for all the good info!! Agave nectar seems like it's easy to find, so I'm going to try a new batch in a day or two and will report the results. Your husband's recipe only calls for a 1/2 tsp of flaxseed?!

I heard that you can reuse the flax seeds again, and I have a few q's about that.
    Do I need to rinse them out after using them? (because they have the gel stuck to them.)
    How many times can they be re-used?

Wishlist: YTC low-poo, Elucence poo, Bioterra Curl Creme, AGEbeautiful Strengthening trtment, SS Repairing Protein Trtment, LuxyHair ext's
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I heard that you can reuse the flax seeds again, and I have a few q's about that.
    Do I need to rinse them out after using them? (because they have the gel stuck to them.)

BB is the one who told us you can reuse the flax seeds. Just take the gelatinous mass, as is, and freeze. I only reuse once--but I think she reported more, but don't remember. They're cheap, so it's up to you how many times you want to try it.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DEL2CDEL2C Posts: 6,418Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I've never been able to reuse the seeds not even once! They never gel up again for some reason. I don't know if it's because I'm using distilled water?

Anyway, it seems most use 1/4 c of flax to 2 c of water. Has anyone tried making it with more Flax Seeds? I wonder if this would help with hold, and actually work for me. I'm thinking of trying 1c of seeds to 2c water and see if it yields a harder holding gel.
    Discovered CG 2007

2C Fia BSL/Thick/Med-Coarse/Low(crown)-Normal Porosity Protein and Oil Sensitive

Link-Spritz & Condish Washing:glasses7:

I'm aCurlJunkieJunky :love4:

My hair LOVES Coconut DESPISES Soap Bars :tongue6:

CJRehab or H&B Fix, Deva NO POO, EO Rose & Cham POO & Condish, CJ CurlFix, CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ CIAB, SS FHG, KCCC, BRHG, AG Mousse Gel, ACV Rinses,Shikakai Conditioning Hair Rinse.
    DEL2C wrote: »
    I've never been able to reuse the seeds not even once! They never gel up again for some reason. I don't know if it's because I'm using distilled water?

Anyway, it seems most use 1/4 c of flax to 2 c of water. Has anyone tried making it with more Flax Seeds? I wonder if this would help with hold, and actually work for me. I'm thinking of trying 1c of seeds to 2c water and see if it yields a harder holding gel.

Del, I'd go with ingredients to give you hold. FSG doesn't really have any on it's own, in my experience. Why not try agave nectar or honey/honeyquat and Seamollient??
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • curlyhairmichukcurlyhairmichuk Posts: 860Registered Users

The problem is the straining if you add more seeds (well that's what I've found). Try 1/2 cup seeds to 2c of water.
    UK curly

fine to medium strands, porous, medium density
    CG May 2009 - low poo occasionally
    Co-wash: Tresemme Naturals
    Styling -Naked Curl Defining Cream, BRHG, Mop Top, FSG
    Product for a good hair day: FSG or Mop Top
    Hair loves protein!
    http://public.fotki.com/curlyhairmichuk/
    new pics added Jan 2012

Enjoying the freedom of going curly!:wave:
    Duchess of Alba, Keeper of the Tartan Curls in The Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • anunmakeranunmaker Posts: 1Registered Users
    Ok, I finally got some flax seeds (dark, I think) and made up some gel. Just plain...no additives. I wanted to see how it worked and if i could stand the consistency.

The first day, I only used the FSG and my hair was very frizzy and big. Kind of discouraging, but I decided to keep using it.

Today is Day 3. I just co-washed my hair, no leave-in and then applied the FSG and plopped for about 15 minutes. I took my hair down and applied some of my regular spray gel(Garnier) and let it dry. I came home and applied some more FSG to my hair and it is looking better than ever!

3881942342_251a077fe2_t.jpg

I did have a couple of questions, though.

Question1: does the FSG help moisturize skin too? I have had a real problem with dry scalp most of my life and for the last couple of days, it seems to have eased up. My head isn't as itchy anyway.

Question2: Is there a certain kind of AVG I should look for to add to the FSG? I have some that is for sunburns, with no color or fragrance added, but it has some ingredients I can only assume are preservatives (triethanolamin , tocopheryl acetate, carbomer, tetrasodium edta, dmdm hydantoin, diazolidinyl, urea) It does say on the label to try it as a hair styling gel!
  • belasunabelasuna Posts: 599Registered Users
    anunmaker wrote: »
    Ok, I finally got some flax seeds (dark, I think) and made up some gel. Just plain...no additives. I wanted to see how it worked and if i could stand the consistency.

The first day, I only used the FSG and my hair was very frizzy and big. Kind of discouraging, but I decided to keep using it.

Today is Day 3. I just co-washed my hair, no leave-in and then applied the FSG and plopped for about 15 minutes. I took my hair down and applied some of my regular spray gel(Garnier) and let it dry. I came home and applied some more FSG to my hair and it is looking better than ever!

3881942342_251a077fe2_t.jpg

I did have a couple of questions, though.

Question1: does the FSG help moisturize skin too? I have had a real problem with dry scalp most of my life and for the last couple of days, it seems to have eased up. My head isn't as itchy anyway.

Question2: Is there a certain kind of AVG I should look for to add to the FSG? I have some that is for sunburns, with no color or fragrance added, but it has some ingredients I can only assume are preservatives (triethanolamin , tocopheryl acetate, carbomer, tetrasodium edta, dmdm hydantoin, diazolidinyl, urea) It does say on the label to try it as a hair styling gel!

If you get frizz with the FSG you may not be using enough. You really have to soak your hair with it. Also, I find that the more I use it, the more moisturized my hair gets. I think the FSG is very moisturizing and my guess is that it is helping your scalp from drying out.

Also, you can definitely use the same AVG you already have because the other ingredients are mainly preservatives and thickners. The FOTE is a skin aloe gel with similar P & T.
    ~belasuna :angel1:
    3a/b, very dry, fine/med-coarse, high porosity
    CG since 7/27/09
    Bella Curl Products
    CW: protein free-cleansing creme
    CO: protein free MRcondish
    Styler: FSG + protein free LI Elixir, Gellie, Shine & Seal Serum
    Lady of Elixir, Keeper of the Secret Blend, in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    kathymack wrote: »

Del, I'd go with ingredients to give you hold. FSG doesn't really have any on it's own, in my experience. Why not try agave nectar or honey/honeyquat and Seamollient??
    Believe ME I've tried. I've added Honey,Agave and SM. Nothing seems to make it hold on me. The only thing I haven't tried is using more Seeds! I'm also concerned about the Sea Protein in SM I noticed the dreaded frizz when I was using SM on a regular basis :rolleyes: I had a feeling it may not strain too well with the added seeds I may still try it though.
    Discovered CG 2007

2C Fia BSL/Thick/Med-Coarse/Low(crown)-Normal Porosity Protein and Oil Sensitive

CJRehab or H&B Fix, Deva NO POO, EO Rose & Cham POO & Condish, CJ CurlFix, CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ CIAB, SS FHG, KCCC, BRHG, AG Mousse Gel, ACV Rinses,Shikakai Conditioning Hair Rinse.

Believe ME I've tried. I've added Honey,Agave and SM. Nothing seems to make it hold on me. The only thing I haven't tried is using more Seeds! I'm also concerned about the Sea Protein in SM I noticed the dreaded frizz when I was using SM on a regular basis :rolleyes: I had a feeling it may not strain too well with the added seeds I may still try it though.

Hi Del2C,

I hope I'm not guanoing this thread. ;-) Can you tell me where you found out that there is sea protein in SM. I thought it was just an algae extract like any other herbal (plant/flower) extract. Thanks.
    CG since 7/27/09
    Bella Curl Products
    bela I asked Tiffany about it because I didn't do well with Aquage Molding Gel. She felt that SM contained sea proteins like the Aquage line :? Do you have additional info to share?
    Discovered CG 2007

belasuna wrote: »
    Hi Del2C,

I hope I'm not guanoing this thread. ;-) Can you tell me where you found out that there is sea protein in SM. I thought it was just an algae extract like any other herbal (plant/flower) extract. Thanks.

According to the manufacturer, it's algae extract and water.

http://www.kosfarm.com.tw/news/promote/9712/A_SEAMOLLIENT.pdf
    SE PA

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • goobernutgoobernut Posts: 2,317Registered Users
    yes, but what is algae extract composed of? Aubrey Organics has this product, and they claim that algae has a lot of protein in it.

Yes, yes, I do realize this is the company that claims that wheat germ oil has protein in it.

So does algae have protein in it or not? Hrmm......
    Grand Goobah Caedran, Aqueous Infusion of Demulcents, Order of the Curly Crusaders

Fia 2cFi, fine texture, med porosity CG 5-29-09 * My hair loves protein! Currently using : DermOrganics Shampoo and IHM, G2B Kinkier Mousse, Re:Coil VMM, Anything Spiral Solutions! MO Sealing. Coconut Oil Pre-Poo, once a month Hard Water shampoo. Avoiding Glycerin in finishing products.
    goobernut wrote: »
    yes, but what is algae extract composed of? Aubrey Organics has this product, and they claim that algae has a lot of protein in it.

Yes, yes, I do realize this is the company that claims that wheat germ oil has protein in it.

So does algae have protein in it or not? Hrmm......
    Good point goober. If it comes from the "Sea" then one would assume it has Sea Protein in it. SeaMollient is marine derived from Sea Plants.

I don't know whatever is in it built up on me and my hair started to reject it by giving me the same kind of flyaway frizz I get from too much protein.

So does algae have protein or not? Hmmm is right. :?
    Discovered CG 2007

Good point goober. If it comes from the "Sea" then one would assume it has Sea Protein in it. SeaMollient is marine derived from Sea Plants.

I don't know whatever is in it built up on me and my hair started to reject it by giving me the same kind of flyaway frizz I get from too much protein.

Did a google search of algae extract. Most of the sources said it's made of minerals and polysaccharides. One source listed amino acids as a third ingredient, but most did not.

I wonder if anyone else who has protein sensitivity has had a problem with it??
    SE PA

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • misspammisspam Posts: 5,318Registered Users

Did a google search of algae extract. Most of the sources said it's made of minerals and polysaccharides. One source listed amino acids as a third ingredient, but most did not.

I wonder if anyone else who has protein sensitivity has had a problem with it??

I do have extreme protein sensitivity, and while I'm having problems with the Seamollient, I do not think it is a protein thing. Protein immediately makes my hair dry, hard, dull, and straw-like. The reaction I am having is really nothing at all like that.

I have been experimenting with the Seamollient for the past few days, and all I can say is I am majorly disappointed. I have tried it in wet hair, dry hair, mixed with FSG, by itself, and even scrunched into dry hair. I see absolutely no curl enhancement or hold from the Seamollient. And while my hair does not feel dry, I do get a lot of surface frizz and flyaways, and a lack of definition, moreso than I prefer.

I waited to purchase this when I saw Colorado Organics removed the propylene glycol and now, I'm stuck with a 32 oz. tub of stuff that doesn't do a thing for my hair. :sad6:

DEL- When I make my FSG with the 2 cups of distilled water, I always use 1/2 cup of seeds. I think if you prefer hard-hold gels like BRHG though, you will never be satisfied with the FSG. That's just my take on it.

Today, I am back on my early summer routine of KBB Super Silky as a leave-in and FX Curl Booster Fixative Gel for light hold. My hair looks fantastic today! :glasses7:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Protein immediately makes my hair dry, hard, dull, and straw-like.
    Certain proteins do that to me like Wheat or
    Soy in most formulations. But the flyaway frizz and straighter pcs. on the canopy is how it starts out for me. That's when I know I've over done it so I cut way back on any kind of protein. Otherwise, if I keep going and I don't nail down the culprit, it leads to straw :sad3:

I guess SM is a mystery........
    Discovered CG 2007

• misspammisspam Posts: 5,318Registered Users
    Soy in most formulations. But the flyaway frizz and straighter pcs. on the canopy is how it starts out for me. That's when I know I've over done it so I cut way back on any kind of protein. Otherwise, if I keep going and I don't nail down the culprit, it leads to straw :sad3:

Isn't if funny how we all have such different reactions to proteins? :laughing5:

If we are thinking that the seamollient is the same type of sea protein that is in the Aquage gels, then again, my hair did not react in the same way. The Aquage gels caused an immediate straw-like reaction in my hair, which took a week's worth of babying to undo.

I guess the Seamollient will remain a mystery, and it will gather dust and cobwebs in the product graveyard. LOL!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I also did some research and algae (blue and red) extract does seem to contain or may even be in an of itself a vegetable protein. It however is not as high quality of a protein as soy and wheat etc. While we don't know what specific algae is used to obtain the algae extract in SM, I think it is safe to say that the extract contains protein.
    CG since 7/27/09
    Bella Curl Products
    misspam wrote: »
    Isn't if funny how we all have such different reactions to proteins? :laughing5:

If we are thinking that the seamollient is the same type of sea protein that is in the Aquage gels, then again, my hair did not react in the same way. The Aquage gels caused an immediate straw-like reaction in my hair, which took a week's worth of babying to undo.

I guess the Seamollient will remain a mystery, and it will gather dust and cobwebs in the product graveyard. LOL!
    To strengthen your analysis on Seamollient, my hair is definitely NOT protein-sensitive and it styles very nicely and softly with Aquage

• OperaCurlsOperaCurls Posts: 1,101Registered Users
    To strengthen your analysis on Seamollient, my hair is definitely NOT protein-sensitive and it styles very nicely and softly with Aquage

Ditto on the seamollient. My hair is always super soft and shiny and clumpy and bouncy and... okay, I'll stop gushing now. But seriously, I mix it with all my stylers and get fab results.
    http://public.fotki.com/opera-curls/ (I cut my own hair)
    Pacific Northwest girl, color-treated fine 3B, med-low porosity

Products: Suave Coconut condish, Giovanni Direct Leave-In, FSG or KCCC, AfroVeda Shea-Amla Cream
    I LOVE HENNA!
  • zcurlygirlzcurlygirl Posts: 217Registered Users
    I've been looking for a gel for a long time and from all the previous posts, concluded that FSG is amazing, and I HAVE to try it. What is the physical difference between golden flax seeds and brown ones? I have flax seeds so I'm not sure which one they are... Also, someone mentioned something about coconut oil, has anyone tried that? I'm also thinking about adding that to my concoction. :) Thanks for posting this recipe BB, I'm very excited!!!
    2c/3a/3b
    Co-Wash: TJ's Nourish
    Conditioner: 1/2 TJ's Nourish, 1/2 AO Honeysuckle Rose
    Leave-in: GDLI, CJ Curl Assurance
    Love: Pineappling, FSG and this website!
    CG Since Sept. 5th, 2009!!!:thumbup:

With the help of StruttsWife's E-book:
    Normal Porosity, Fine Texture (who would've thunk!), normal elasticity, and medium density.

PM me if you have suggestions for my hair (i.e. product, etc.), help would be very much appreciated!
    zcurlygirl wrote: »
    I've been looking for a gel for a long time and from all the previous posts, concluded that FSG is amazing, and I HAVE to try it. What is the physical difference between golden flax seeds and brown ones? I have flax seeds so I'm not sure which one they are... Also, someone mentioned something about coconut oil, has anyone tried that? I'm also thinking about adding that to my concoction. :) Thanks for posting this recipe BB, I'm very excited!!!

Hi Zcurlygirl, you are going to love FSG. The trick is not giving up if it doesn't prove miraculous on your first try. You have to use a lot of it and maybe play with the additives.

As far as the physical descriptions. Golden flax seeds are a golden tan (the color reminds me of tan leather). Brown seeds are a reddish brown color. I think this will help you figure out what type you have, since they are distinctly different in the way they look (color-wise).

I actually have both golden and brown seeds. I've made fsg with all golden and like it a lot. Today I decided to do a mix of golden and brown and this batch seem to have more mucilage (the snotty stuff that makes fsg a gel and gives it slip). I don't know if the difference is because the brown seed were high quality organic. The golden seeds I have are also organic but the bulk kind you buy from the bins at Whole Foods (organic but not the best quality). You can buy good quality organic golden seeds on the internet but they are very expensive. I wouldn't worry about the type of seeds you have. I think both types will make good gels.

I put coconut oil in the FSG I make for my DH. It adds a nice tropical smell and is very moisturizing for his hair. I bought unrefined coconut oil at Whole Foods in the oil aisle. Most high end and health food supermarkets should have it. Or try the Indian/Asian markets if you have any near you.
    CG since 7/27/09
    Bella Curl Products
  • dailywavydailywavy Posts: 249Registered Users

when i make it, i use 1/4 c golden flax to 1 c. water. i get better results. have you tried to boil it down to be thicker after you strain it?
    2b, 2c / f / ii / medium-high porosity
    Vo5-never again, i now can plop!
    CG since may 09, and hubby LOVES the new wavy 'tude!
    :thumbleft:
    products: CV SB, burt's bees more moisture conditioner, co-wash suave naturals coconut condish. FSG, shea hair butter, hair refresher
  • dailywavydailywavy Posts: 249Registered Users

i have experimented with them with fairly good quality seeds and the 3rd and 4th batches aren't good. it still feels the same goo-wise, but after it dries, it doesn't have any hold. i have tried adding the 3rd batch to the first batch, and still, it just waters it down and creates less hold.
    2b, 2c / f / ii / medium-high porosity
    Vo5-never again, i now can plop!
    CG since may 09, and hubby LOVES the new wavy 'tude!
    :thumbleft:
    products: CV SB, burt's bees more moisture conditioner, co-wash suave naturals coconut condish. FSG, shea hair butter, hair refresher
  • zcurlygirlzcurlygirl Posts: 217Registered Users
    So I followed the directions and thought everything was going fine, until I put the flaxseed goo mix into the strainer and now it won't seperate! The goo is just stuck on the flaxseeds! What should I do now? I was sooo excited... :(
    2c/3a/3b
    Co-Wash: TJ's Nourish
    Conditioner: 1/2 TJ's Nourish, 1/2 AO Honeysuckle Rose
    Leave-in: GDLI, CJ Curl Assurance
    Love: Pineappling, FSG and this website!
    CG Since Sept. 5th, 2009!!!:thumbup:

With the help of StruttsWife's E-book:
    Normal Porosity, Fine Texture (who would've thunk!), normal elasticity, and medium density.

PM me if you have suggestions for my hair (i.e. product, etc.), help would be very much appreciated!
  • curlyhairmichukcurlyhairmichuk Posts: 860Registered Users
    put it back in the pot and add some more water. Boil again for a little then try and strain again.
    UK curly

fine to medium strands, porous, medium density
    CG May 2009 - low poo occasionally
    Co-wash: Tresemme Naturals
    Styling -Naked Curl Defining Cream, BRHG, Mop Top, FSG
    Product for a good hair day: FSG or Mop Top
    Hair loves protein!
    http://public.fotki.com/curlyhairmichuk/
    new pics added Jan 2012

Enjoying the freedom of going curly!:wave:
    Duchess of Alba, Keeper of the Tartan Curls in The Order of the Curly Crusaders
    zcurlygirl wrote: »
    So I followed the directions and thought everything was going fine, until I put the flaxseed goo mix into the strainer and now it won't seperate! The goo is just stuck on the flaxseeds! What should I do now? I was sooo excited... :(

The most difficult part of the whole FSG recipe is the straining! It has to be really hot when you strain it. People have developed many techniques for this--or to avoid doing it. Metal strainers, tea balls, muslin tea bags, trouser socks, etc. The most important thing to remember is that flax seeds are cheap. You aren't going to get all of the gel from the recipe. Try it. If you like it, make it in bigger batches and freeze it in smaller portions. That way, you can try different additives to see what you like.
    SE PA

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • stardustedstardusted Posts: 15Registered Users
    eeek- i made it today & i can't wait to try it-- sorry if this has been asked before, but is it okay using a leave in like [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Knot-Today-p-207.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-knot-today-leaveindetangler]kckt[/buylink] with it? i always try new products with nothing else at all, but thought i'd check for later.

the flsg just looked so fun to play with. haha. like that coloured goo that used to come in genie bottles :]
    3a-b
    fell off the wagon.. crawling back on.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file