No-fail flax seed gel - I finally did it...TWICE!

1235720

Comments

  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    From the back of the AOGPB bottle, it talks about the Glycoproteins that do everything from jump over tall buildings! In the ingredient lists--it says that they are derived from oyster shells. It may have caused the allergic reaction. I am allergic to a lot of products (CK, Shea M LI, Biotera everything) but luckily not that.

    It's been a long time since I added epsom salt to anything, but it doesn't sound like you are using too much.

    I know there has been discussion in older threads about what ingredients in certain gels cause the "hold." Maybe some of the other curlies can chime in on that.

    If you're interested in some of the additives, pm me.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

    HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • belasunabelasuna Posts: 599Registered Users
    curlpro wrote: »
    I made this gel and it is great. My first batch I mad the consistancy of [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curly-Hair-Solutions-Curl-Keeper-p-28.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=curly-hair-solutions-curl-keeper]curl keeper[/buylink] for my DH who has curls, FAB. I just had to convince him to use twice as much. Just distilled water and two tbs of flax seeds plus lemongrass rose and lavender eo. The second batch I cooled 1/2 cup to two cups of distilled water and a 1/4 tsp of epsom salts and cooked it till it was the consistancy of karo syrup plus same eo's. More hold but I need more hold. Tell me about Agave versus honey, edible of these or something else? I just need a little more crunch, any suggestions? I have to say that my curls are pulling up great and no frizz at all, plus soft and shiny and my hair is already shiny, this is like cellophanes shiny(remember the 80's)? But my hair is so fine it needs a little more lift. Thanks BB,
    Cynthia

    Hi Cynthia,

    I also had to "force" my DH to use tons of FSG on his curls. lol. He wanted to only use a small amount like he does with regular gels. But the FSG hass made the world of difference on his curls.

    I also am highly allergic to mold but have had no problem with Seamollient. But I am not allergic to seaweed so maybe that is the difference. I do add preservatives and only use a small amount of Seamollient so maybe that is why I don't have a problem. Is there something I don't know about algae? Is it considered a mold? Please let me know. TIA.

    Now, I will try to help with some of the other questions you asked on later posts.

    For preservatives, you can try silver citrate combined with potassium sorbate. This combo is in a lot of natural hair products. There is also Optiphen ND, which is a water soluble preservative that is a broadband preservative. Both of these preservatives require that your concotion have an acidic ph (6 or less) so you may have to add citric acid to use these preservative. They are both paraben and formaldahye free. You can also use grapefruit seed extract which is also a broad band preservative. Many curlies use EOs that have antiseptic properties. Lavendar, Rose, Rosemary. Also vitamin e oil. I like to add the antiseptic EOs, vitamin e oil plus a preservative. (maybe a little paranoid :confused2: due to my mold allergies lol).

    What makes commercial gels gel are polymers. You will see ingredients in gels like catomers which are polymers. Polymers can be both natural or synthetic. One type of polymer is plastics. Natural products try to use gelling agents like pectin, xanthum gum, guar gum to make the gel thicker which will give you some hold also. These gelling agents plus ingredients like agave or honey, some seaweed extracts that form gelatins provide the natural products with more hold.

    IMHO, agave can provide a lot of hold. Play with the quantities you add until you get the hold you like. But just a warning, I think if you use too much agave it may cause some white flaking. This is what happened with me.

    Edited:
    Lately I've been getting lovely 2nd day hair with the FSG and I have never in my life had 2nd day hair. I just spitz a little water and FSG to revive it. The more I use it, the better my hair seems to feel and look. It's definitely my HG.
    ~belasuna :angel1:
    3a/b, very dry, fine/med-coarse, high porosity
    CG since 7/27/09
    Bella Curl Products
    CW: protein free-cleansing creme
    CO: protein free MRcondish
    Styler: FSG + protein free LI Elixir, Gellie, Shine & Seal Serum
    Lady of Elixir, Keeper of the Secret Blend, in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I, too, am highly allergic to mold. Seamollient isn't a mold, it's an algae extract. I use it all of the time with no problem.

    I never had success with FSG until I started to use a lot of it.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

    HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • eweniqueewenique Posts: 1,502Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    That's the secret to success with the FSG. Your hair has to be coated and slimy/silky like seaweed. I use at least 3 oz for my length hair, brushing half through before plop and scrunching in the other half after plop. I usually get 3 - 5 days with FSG. In the AM just take down the pineapple/plop, shake and go! My hair loves this stuff!
    2C wavy with some spirals. CG since April 07. Medium texture and porosity.
    COs: Yes to Cucumbers
    Stylers: Miss Jessies Coily Custard, KCCC

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Live Simply. Use Soap
    www.TheLatheredLamb.com
    www.EweniqueEssentials.artfire.com
  • OnduleeOndulee Posts: 1,303Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I guess FSG gives new meaning to the old phrase "go soak your head"!!! :thumbup:
    shoulder length bob; fine; 3A-3B; thin density; normal porosity; normal elasticity- my hair loves keratin, ACV, silk protein ,Curlkeeper and AG:Recoil ; needs moisturizing products and hates oils except mineral oil; CG- Jan/'09-mod CG Sept/'09;CG again Jan/'10/mod CG from Mar'10


  • TanyaskeesTanyaskees Posts: 55Registered Users
    Hey girls...ok, I have to try this. Just got back from the store with everything I need, I think. I don't cook food, and I am gonna try this...should be interesting...LOL. Wish me luck. When I get through, if it looks anything like gel, I will try it in the morning. Wish me luck...I need it.
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Tanyaskees wrote: »
    Hey girls...ok, I have to try this. Just got back from the store with everything I need, I think. I don't cook food, and I am gonna try this...should be interesting...LOL. Wish me luck. When I get through, if it looks anything like gel, I will try it in the morning. Wish me luck...I need it.

    I'm sure you'll be fine, LOL! Just strain it while it's hot. Remember, it's cheap--you don't have to get every drop of gel. You can also reuse the flax seeds a few times.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

    HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • TanyaskeesTanyaskees Posts: 55Registered Users
    kathymack wrote: »
    Tanyaskees wrote: »
    Hey girls...ok, I have to try this. Just got back from the store with everything I need, I think. I don't cook food, and I am gonna try this...should be interesting...LOL. Wish me luck. When I get through, if it looks anything like gel, I will try it in the morning. Wish me luck...I need it.

    I'm sure you'll be fine, LOL! Just strain it while it's hot. Remember, it's cheap--you don't have to get every drop of gel. You can also reuse the flax seeds a few times.
    Thanks, I am done....I think. I have what appears to be gel...hmmm. I used lavender oil and a little honey. I think I may have overdone it on the lavender oil...my whole house smells like lavender...LOL. Now, how much of this stuff do I use in the morning after I CO my hair? Should I use it with any other products...like leave in or JC stuff? This experimenting is fun, but I air dry my hair and am already at work before I can tell what it looks like, so whatever it is, it is for the rest of the day. My hair is pretty long, 3b I think. Bellow is a picture that was taken right after I went CO, it's in better shape now, still as long. How much of the gel should I use?

    hair1.jpg
  • TanyaskeesTanyaskees Posts: 55Registered Users
    Hi again, ignore the questions above, I've read through the whole thread and now know that I have to use a bunch. The chicken that I am, I decided to not wait till the morning and try it tonight. My hair is now saturated in this stuff. I can't wait till it's dry enough for me to see if it'll work. I am excited and will post later tonight. My hair takes about 3 to 4 hours to dry...grrrr.
  • belasunabelasuna Posts: 599Registered Users
    Tanyaskees, your hair looks just like mine, color, cut, thickness, length and everything. You must be my hair twin. I use about 1 oz or more of FSG on wet hair (no leave-in). I know that I've used enough when my hair feels and looks like it is soaking wet and about to drip drops. I usually squeeze the ends gently and if they feel plump and a few drops drip out then I know I have enough. You may want to overdo it the first time so you at least won't be able to say you didn't use enough. Anyhow, I plop afterwards and end up with super glossy bouncing ringlets.

    Good luck!

    edited:
    just saw you figured it out. Well maybe this will help anyways.
    ~belasuna :angel1:
    3a/b, very dry, fine/med-coarse, high porosity
    CG since 7/27/09
    Bella Curl Products
    CW: protein free-cleansing creme
    CO: protein free MRcondish
    Styler: FSG + protein free LI Elixir, Gellie, Shine & Seal Serum
    Lady of Elixir, Keeper of the Secret Blend, in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • TanyaskeesTanyaskees Posts: 55Registered Users
    belasuna wrote: »
    Tanyaskees, your hair looks just like mine, color, cut, thickness, length and everything. You must be my hair twin. I use about 1 oz or more of FSG on wet hair (no leave-in). I know that I've used enough when my hair feels and looks like it is soaking wet and about to drip drops. I usually squeeze the ends gently and if they feel plump and a few drops drip out then I know I have enough. You may want to overdo it the first time so you at least won't be able to say you didn't use enough. Anyhow, I plop afterwards and end up with super glossy bouncing ringlets.


    Good luck!

    edited:
    just saw you figured it out. Well maybe this will help anyways.

    Thanks Bela. Hair twin, how fun :). I am sitting here ploped now just waiting. I usually don't do my hair at night, this will be different and I'll be able to see what it'll look like tomorrow. I used a bunch, but it's kind of thin, so my hair does not feel heavy. How long do you plop? And do you use a fiber towel? I can't seem to get it right, so I use a fiber turban type of a thingy....real technical name, I know...LOL. Anyway, I'll update later. Thanks for the reply.

    Tanya
  • curlprocurlpro Posts: 333Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    kathymack wrote: »
    I, too, am highly allergic to mold. Seamollient isn't a mold, it's an algae extract. I use it all of the time with no problem.

    I never had success with FSG until I started to use a lot of it.

    Oh, I am so relieved, it sounds like great stuff. I just have to figure out where o get it now. I am going to try the new combo when I run out of what I made so far. I did add Aloe to my DH's (his was just flax, water, EO) very eggwhite consistancy, it wants to jump out of your hand and he complained (there are so many jokes right now I cant stop rotflmao)so I added the aloe. I didn't even read the label when I bought it, I thought it would be just Aloe (duh). I got Lilly of the Desert, inner fillet, it has carrageenan(thinkening agent),Citric Acid(ph stabilizer) and Potassium Sorbate (MOLD INHIBITOR) who knew? the gods must have been with me today! So I globed in about three tbs. and whisked it in, pew, Aloe smells, no problem, added more lavender and lemongrass EO, smells great and it made it less gelatenous and more like gel. I am going to try it on him tomorrow, men are such babies! I was just curious about the Agave nector and honey since they are sticky. They just dry like gel? I am taking your word for it. Thanks so much for all the help.
    Cynthia
  • curlprocurlpro Posts: 333Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    belasuna wrote: »
    curlpro wrote: »
    I made this gel and it is great. My first batch I mad the consistancy of [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curly-Hair-Solutions-Curl-Keeper-p-28.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=curly-hair-solutions-curl-keeper]curl keeper[/buylink] for my DH who has curls, FAB. I just had to convince him to use twice as much. Just distilled water and two tbs of flax seeds plus lemongrass rose and lavender eo. The second batch I cooled 1/2 cup to two cups of distilled water and a 1/4 tsp of epsom salts and cooked it till it was the consistancy of karo syrup plus same eo's. More hold but I need more hold. Tell me about Agave versus honey, edible of these or something else? I just need a little more crunch, any suggestions? I have to say that my curls are pulling up great and no frizz at all, plus soft and shiny and my hair is already shiny, this is like cellophanes shiny(remember the 80's)? But my hair is so fine it needs a little more lift. Thanks BB,
    Cynthia

    Hi Cynthia,

    I also had to "force" my DH to use tons of FSG on his curls. lol. He wanted to only use a small amount like he does with regular gels. But the FSG hass made the world of difference on his curls.

    I also am highly allergic to mold but have had no problem with Seamollient. But I am not allergic to seaweed so maybe that is the difference. I do add preservatives and only use a small amount of Seamollient so maybe that is why I don't have a problem. Is there something I don't know about algae? Is it considered a mold? Please let me know. TIA.

    Now, I will try to help with some of the other questions you asked on later posts.

    For preservatives, you can try silver citrate combined with potassium sorbate. This combo is in a lot of natural hair products. There is also Optiphen ND, which is a water soluble preservative that is a broadband preservative. Both of these preservatives require that your concotion have an acidic ph (6 or less) so you may have to add citric acid to use these preservative. They are both paraben and formaldahye free. You can also use grapefruit seed extract which is also a broad band preservative. Many curlies use EOs that have antiseptic properties. Lavendar, Rose, Rosemary. Also vitamin e oil. I like to add the antiseptic EOs, vitamin e oil plus a preservative. (maybe a little paranoid :confused2: due to my mold allergies lol).

    What makes commercial gels gel are polymers. You will see ingredients in gels like catomers which are polymers. Polymers can be both natural or synthetic. One type of polymer is plastics. Natural products try to use gelling agents like pectin, xanthum gum, guar gum to make the gel thicker which will give you some hold also. These gelling agents plus ingredients like agave or honey, some seaweed extracts that form gelatins provide the natural products with more hold.

    IMHO, agave can provide a lot of hold. Play with the quantities you add until you get the hold you like. But just a warning, I think if you use too much agave it may cause some white flaking. This is what happened with me.

    Edited:
    Lately I've been getting lovely 2nd day hair with the FSG and I have never in my life had 2nd day hair. I just spitz a little water and FSG to revive it. The more I use it, the better my hair seems to feel and look. It's definitely my HG.
    Before I realized I had some of the thickener already in the Aloe, I just sprinkled some Xanthan powder in and it just made clumps, I guess I should use it when it is warm still. Should I disolve it in the water before I put in the flax? The Agave go in when it's warm too? I used EO's you mentioned for preservative so no worry, plus considering the preservative already in the Aloe I feel good. I smell mold like a drug dog!! Thanks so much for the clarifications!
    Cynthia
  • TanyaskeesTanyaskees Posts: 55Registered Users
    Hi all, it's me again. Hair is dry and looks amazing!!! WOW, I am so glad I found this forum, the transformation in my hair from about 5 weeks ago is unreal. Thank you all so much for all the great information. At 43 for the first time in my life I am loving my curls :love7:.

    Tanya
  • mpgirlmpgirl Posts: 1,163Registered Users
    curlpro wrote: »
    belasuna wrote: »
    curlpro wrote: »
    Before I realized I had some of the thickener already in the Aloe, I just sprinkled some Xanthan powder in and it just made clumps, I guess I should use it when it is warm still. Should I disolve it in the water before I put in the flax? The Agave go in when it's warm too? I used EO's you mentioned for preservative so no worry, plus considering the preservative already in the Aloe I feel good. I smell mold like a drug dog!! Thanks so much for the clarifications!
    Cynthia
    I slowly sprinkle the xanthum gum in while whisking. I started to use a blender and like the consistency better, along with it being easier.
    3b spirals, fine texture, normal porosity, dense
    Picasa:
    Link
    Deva Low Poo
    Suave Naturals Coconut for detangling
    Renpure Organics conditioner/leave-in
    Homemade FSG
    KCCC
    Curl Junkie Stuff
    BRHG


    Nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect. -wabi-sabi

  • belasunabelasuna Posts: 599Registered Users
    curlpro wrote: »
    Before I realized I had some of the thickener already in the Aloe, I just sprinkled some Xanthan powder in and it just made clumps, I guess I should use it when it is warm still. Should I disolve it in the water before I put in the flax? The Agave go in when it's warm too? I used EO's you mentioned for preservative so no worry, plus considering the preservative already in the Aloe I feel good. I smell mold like a drug dog!! Thanks so much for the clarifications!
    Cynthia

    I read somewhere that you should dissolve the xanthum gum in oil then add to your mixture. If you are not really putting oil into your mixture, just mix with a little vitamin e oil with the xanthum gum enough so you get a creamy liquid and whisk it into the still warm mix.
    ~belasuna :angel1:
    3a/b, very dry, fine/med-coarse, high porosity
    CG since 7/27/09
    Bella Curl Products
    CW: protein free-cleansing creme
    CO: protein free MRcondish
    Styler: FSG + protein free LI Elixir, Gellie, Shine & Seal Serum
    Lady of Elixir, Keeper of the Secret Blend, in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • curlprocurlpro Posts: 333Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Thanks ladies, hair came out great today.
    Cynthia
  • OnduleeOndulee Posts: 1,303Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Hi all, it's me again. Hair is dry and looks amazing!!! WOW, I am so glad I found this forum, the transformation in my hair from about 5 weeks ago is unreal. Thank you all so much for all the great information. At 43 for the first time in my life I am loving my curls :love7:.

    Picture please! I'd love to see how great your hair looks now compared to your last pic....
    shoulder length bob; fine; 3A-3B; thin density; normal porosity; normal elasticity- my hair loves keratin, ACV, silk protein ,Curlkeeper and AG:Recoil ; needs moisturizing products and hates oils except mineral oil; CG- Jan/'09-mod CG Sept/'09;CG again Jan/'10/mod CG from Mar'10


  • OperaCurlsOperaCurls Posts: 1,101Registered Users
    Whipped up a batch last night with agave nectar & seamollient added. The consistency is considerably thicker and not as slippery, almost like a watered-down version of [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink]. My hair is still drying, but so far the curl formation & clumps look promising. I looked back at my fotki pics from last year when I first tried FSG & can't believe how soft & shiny & ringlet-y it looked! High hopes for this batch.
    http://public.fotki.com/opera-curls/ (I cut my own hair)
    Pacific Northwest girl, color-treated fine 3B, med-low porosity

    Products: Suave Coconut condish, Giovanni Direct Leave-In, FSG or KCCC, AfroVeda Shea-Amla Cream
    I LOVE HENNA!
  • CurlyCowgirlyCurlyCowgirly Posts: 299Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'd really like to try this Flaxseed gel everyone's raving about, but I can't seem to find raw golden flaxseed anywhere! I've even searched online, and all I find is grinded flaxseed.

    Can anyone provide a link, or stores that carry them?
    Note: I don't have a whole foods nor a trader joe's around me. :(

    Also, my hair loves protein, so what ingredients can I add to the mix that are proteins?
    TIA!
    Low/Med porosity, very fine, low/med elasticity & density, 3A
    AKA hard to work with hair!


    Low-Poo: Kenra Volumizing shampoo, AG Fast Food shampoo
    CO: AG Ultramoist, AO GPB, Nature's Gate Aloe Vera
    Gel: GFCC mousse, HETT, Aquage Megagel
    Also: Aloe Vera juice or Alba Leave-in. Weekly ACV rinse.
    Wishlist: YTC low-poo, Elucence poo, Bioterra Curl Creme, AGEbeautiful Strengthening trtment, SS Repairing Protein Trtment, LuxyHair ext's
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'd really like to try this Flaxseed gel everyone's raving about, but I can't seem to find raw golden flaxseed anywhere! I've even searched online, and all I find is grinded flaxseed.

    Can anyone provide a link, or stores that carry them?
    Note: I don't have a whole foods nor a trader joe's around me. :(

    Also, my hair loves protein, so what ingredients can I add to the mix that are proteins?
    TIA!

    I did a google search and there were tons of places. This place you have to buy in quantity, but there's free shipping:

    http://www.stevensfarm.com/flax_seed_all_products.htm

    I found them at my local farmers market. If you can't find them, the brown ones work. Golden ones are better. Whatever you do, don't use ground ones!
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

    HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • AlexjoujouAlexjoujou Posts: 2,364Registered Users
    Hi CC

    You can also try Bob's Red Mill. This is the type I've been using. I got mine at Whole Paycheck (oops,,mean Whole Foods!) but you can order online even just one bag.

    Here is a link:
    http://www.bobsredmill.com/product.php?productid=4109&cat=105&page=1

    I buy the organic ones but they have both organic and non and brown and golden.

    It is WELL worth it to buy these. FSG is GREAT!
    FIA 2c/3aFi

    Done experimenting! Loving Spiral Solutions products!

    Blog: http://thewavytales.blogspot.com/
  • MochachinoMochachino Posts: 191Registered Users
    What is the difference between the brown and the golden flax seeds?
    I've got a pair of ruby slippers that I don't wear much anymore
    And if I had the nerve I'd click my heels and return o the wonderland I knew before
    Alana Davis "Crazy"
  • curlprocurlpro Posts: 333Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I bought my flax seeds (golden) at Publix.
    Cynthia
  • belasunabelasuna Posts: 599Registered Users
    Mochachino wrote: »
    What is the difference between the brown and the golden flax seeds?

    I read somewhere online that golden flax seeds give you more hold. Not sure about this, but I use golden because where I live they are actually easier to find than the brown. (But I live in Los Angeles.)
    ~belasuna :angel1:
    3a/b, very dry, fine/med-coarse, high porosity
    CG since 7/27/09
    Bella Curl Products
    CW: protein free-cleansing creme
    CO: protein free MRcondish
    Styler: FSG + protein free LI Elixir, Gellie, Shine & Seal Serum
    Lady of Elixir, Keeper of the Secret Blend, in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • CurlyCowgirlyCurlyCowgirly Posts: 299Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    belasuna wrote: »
    Mochachino wrote: »
    What is the difference between the brown and the golden flax seeds?

    I read somewhere online that golden flax seeds give you more hold. Not sure about this, but I use golden because where I live they are actually easier to find than the brown. (But I live in Los Angeles.)

    Ha! I was just going to ask this very question! I found brown flaxseeds at a grocery store near me, so I'm going to be cooking up some gel tonight hopefully!

    Are there other ingredients that will increase the hold? And I'll ask again in case some missed it...since my hair loveess protein, is there anything beneficial I can add for that?
    Low/Med porosity, very fine, low/med elasticity & density, 3A
    AKA hard to work with hair!


    Low-Poo: Kenra Volumizing shampoo, AG Fast Food shampoo
    CO: AG Ultramoist, AO GPB, Nature's Gate Aloe Vera
    Gel: GFCC mousse, HETT, Aquage Megagel
    Also: Aloe Vera juice or Alba Leave-in. Weekly ACV rinse.
    Wishlist: YTC low-poo, Elucence poo, Bioterra Curl Creme, AGEbeautiful Strengthening trtment, SS Repairing Protein Trtment, LuxyHair ext's
  • curlprocurlpro Posts: 333Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    scroll up to my other post to see the additives I used. The epsom salts and agave nectar plus aloe vera gel great hold.
    Cynthia
  • belasunabelasuna Posts: 599Registered Users
    belasuna wrote: »
    Mochachino wrote: »
    What is the difference between the brown and the golden flax seeds?

    I read somewhere online that golden flax seeds give you more hold. Not sure about this, but I use golden because where I live they are actually easier to find than the brown. (But I live in Los Angeles.)

    Ha! I was just going to ask this very question! I found brown flaxseeds at a grocery store near me, so I'm going to be cooking up some gel tonight hopefully!

    Are there other ingredients that will increase the hold? And I'll ask again in case some missed it...since my hair loveess protein, is there anything beneficial I can add for that?

    I don't think you want to add egg to the FSG for protein lol. So you can actually buy hydrolyzed proteins (silk, oat, wheat etc) and add them to your FSG. They are not that expensive, I think. Just do a google search. Also, I do believe (and no one has given me facts to cause me to think otherwise) jojoba oil actually has protein in it. Coconut milk has protein in it. You can use powdered milk to add protein. This will also thicken the mixture up a bit. Never tried these last two. Might be a good experiment.
    ~belasuna :angel1:
    3a/b, very dry, fine/med-coarse, high porosity
    CG since 7/27/09
    Bella Curl Products
    CW: protein free-cleansing creme
    CO: protein free MRcondish
    Styler: FSG + protein free LI Elixir, Gellie, Shine & Seal Serum
    Lady of Elixir, Keeper of the Secret Blend, in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • CurlyCowgirlyCurlyCowgirly Posts: 299Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Thanks curlpro and belasuna!
    I'm going to try adding jojoba for now since I have that on hand.

    Has anyone tried adding Tea Tree Oil, coconut oil or rose water?
    Low/Med porosity, very fine, low/med elasticity & density, 3A
    AKA hard to work with hair!


    Low-Poo: Kenra Volumizing shampoo, AG Fast Food shampoo
    CO: AG Ultramoist, AO GPB, Nature's Gate Aloe Vera
    Gel: GFCC mousse, HETT, Aquage Megagel
    Also: Aloe Vera juice or Alba Leave-in. Weekly ACV rinse.
    Wishlist: YTC low-poo, Elucence poo, Bioterra Curl Creme, AGEbeautiful Strengthening trtment, SS Repairing Protein Trtment, LuxyHair ext's
  • OnduleeOndulee Posts: 1,303Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    do you have a bulk food store nearby? I get my flaxseeds there and they are uber cheap...I you can buy as much or as little as you like.
    shoulder length bob; fine; 3A-3B; thin density; normal porosity; normal elasticity- my hair loves keratin, ACV, silk protein ,Curlkeeper and AG:Recoil ; needs moisturizing products and hates oils except mineral oil; CG- Jan/'09-mod CG Sept/'09;CG again Jan/'10/mod CG from Mar'10


Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file