No-fail flax seed gel - I finally did it...TWICE!

Comments

• DEL2CDEL2C Posts: 6,418Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I LOVE honey in this stuff. I used to use honey in a rinse I learned from DEL2C but had to stop when the dew point got low. However I've been putting about 1/4 to 1/2 tsp in my FSG and my hair loves it. I get great hold and don't have to use any other gel over the FSG. I hope this stuff works for me for summer too.

I didn't know this! Of course, I am not the originator of this MIRACLE Summer Rinse. I just can't get this gel to work for me no matter WHAT. I intend to save this for Summer and i really think it will work FABU with extra Honey when the Humidity rises again. I'm not giving up yet but if it doesn't work in Summer either, I'm DONE with FSG!
    Discovered CG 2007

2C Fia BSL/Thick/Med-Coarse/Low(crown)-Normal Porosity Protein and Oil Sensitive

Link-Spritz & Condish Washing:glasses7:

I'm aCurlJunkieJunky :love4:

My hair LOVES Coconut DESPISES Soap Bars :tongue6:

CJRehab or H&B Fix, Deva NO POO, EO Rose & Cham POO & Condish, CJ CurlFix, CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ CIAB, SS FHG, KCCC, BRHG, AG Mousse Gel, ACV Rinses,Shikakai Conditioning Hair Rinse.
  • eche428eche428 Posts: 2,782Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    DEL2C wrote: »
    I LOVE honey in this stuff. I used to use honey in a rinse I learned from DEL2C but had to stop when the dew point got low. However I've been putting about 1/4 to 1/2 tsp in my FSG and my hair loves it. I get great hold and don't have to use any other gel over the FSG. I hope this stuff works for me for summer too.
    I didn't know this! Of course, I am not the originator of this MIRACLE Summer Rinse. I just can't get this gel to work for me no matter WHAT. I intend to save this for Summer and i really think it will work FABU with extra Honey when the Humidity rises again. I'm not giving up yet but if it doesn't work in Summer either, I'm DONE with FSG!

I really hope it works for you, DEL. I love it so much. It's like a real hair miracle. But I know what you mean. I finally had to give up the idea that maybe this time FOTE will work. Just not for me.
    < member since 2006 (no idea where 1969 came from :toothy10:).

[FONT=&quot]Med/high porosity; color treated; med [FONT=&quot]d[/FONT]ensity 2c/3a.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Summer: (high dew point) co-wash [FONT=&quot]& leave-in [/FONT]Matrix Biolage Cleansing Conditioner for Curly Hair[FONT=&quot]. [/FONT]Ouidad Climate Control Heat & Humidity Gel.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Spring and Fall: (perfect dew point) co-wash & leave-in Curl Junkie Repair Me! or [FONT=&quot]CJ [/FONT]BeautiCurls Strengthening Hair Conditioner; f[FONT=&quot]ollo[/FONT]wed by [FONT=&quot]CJ Pattern Pusha & [/FONT]Curl Queen.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot] W[/FONT]inter: (low dew point) add in [FONT=&quot]CJ [/FONT]Coffee-Coco Curl Creme Lite[FONT=&quot].[/FONT][/FONT]
  • sexyjacksparrowsexyjacksparrow Posts: 439Registered Users
    OK, as I'm now on garden leave after being made redundant at work, I have some time to start doing kitchen chemistry and want to make the flax gel.

The online shop I'm planning to buy ingredients from has two kinds of citric acid and two epsom salts - which do I need?

Citric Acid Granular Fine (monohydrate) OR Citric Acid Powder (anhydrous) - I'm guessing the second so it won't be gritty?

Epsom Salts (BP Grade) OR Epsom Salts (heptahydrate) - I'm guessing the second is fine if I don't plan to eat them?

Thanks!
    [FONT=&quot]UK curly - mostly 2c[/FONT]
    • [FONT=&quot]Going back to basics![/FONT]
    • [FONT=&quot]Happily using a mixture of sulphates, cones and CG products.
      [/FONT]
    • [FONT=&quot]Permanently undecided whether to cut or grow![/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Currently loving:[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Lush I Love Juicy shampoo
    Charles Worthington frizz smoothing conditioner[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Superdrug coconut & almond intensive conditioner[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Montagne Jeunesse avocado & cherry bark mask[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Umberto Giannini curl gel
    Boots 'pink' curl creme
    [/FONT]
  • t_mellgrent_mellgren Posts: 11Registered Users
    :love4::study:bumping
    :wav:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

3b/c
    co wash - suave coconut
    condish/leavein - GVP codish balm
    Gel - FSG and LA Sport (on canapy)
    refresh spray - lavender spray (curly girl book)

:toothy4:

Married
    2 kids - DD curly, DS not
    Fort Worth, TX

Trying to decide about color????

• carolinacurlygirlcarolinacurlygirl Posts: 20Registered Users
    thanks for the bump! i am totally trying this!!!!!
    OK, so after saying I was going to try this about six months ago, I finally got around to getting the ingredients and making it today.

It's really runny (practically liquid) so not sure if I just didn't cook it long enough or I'm just used to commercial gel. It was gloopy and egg whitey in the pan and whilst straining but then seemed to thin out after straining. It's still slightly warm so might thicken up some.

Will list my ingredients and give a proper verdict once I've had actually used it in my hair! I won't be too worried if it's a bit rubbish though - it's my first try after all!

Kerry xx
      [/FONT]

Boots 'pink' curl creme
    [/FONT]
  • belasunabelasuna Posts: 599Registered Users
    Anyone try thickening the FSG with lecithin. It is a natural product that is beneficial for the hair and also acts as a thickenin agent. Other thickeners like xanthum gum, guar gum, pectin, etc seem to serve one purpose only and that is just to thicken. I was lecithin at Whole Foods the other day, just wondering if it will work in the FSG instead of xanthm gum.
    ~belasuna :angel1:
    3a/b, very dry, fine/med-coarse, high porosity
    CG since 7/27/09
    Bella Curl Products
    CW: protein free-cleansing creme
    CO: protein free MRcondish
    Styler: FSG + protein free LI Elixir, Gellie, Shine & Seal Serum
    Lady of Elixir, Keeper of the Secret Blend, in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • mpgirlmpgirl Posts: 1,163Registered Users
    I don't know about the lecithin. I use the xanthum gum because it creates volume in the product and therefore a better consistency. It counters the snotty feeling. Not sure if the lecithin would do the same thing.
    3b spirals, fine texture, normal porosity, dense
    Picasa:
    Link
    Deva Low Poo
    Suave Naturals Coconut for detangling
    Renpure Organics conditioner/leave-in
    Homemade FSG
    KCCC
    Curl Junkie Stuff
    BRHG

Nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect. -wabi-sabi

• CurlyBrunetteCurlyBrunette Posts: 26Registered Users
    Wow! I cant believe it took me this long to try this stuff but yesterday I whipped up a batch and used it last night. My hair looks awesome! I used a little leave-in conditioner and then applied the homemade FSG and let it totally air dry. I later scrunched out the crunch and was left with beautiful curls. I love it and I love the fact that I used so little flax seeds to make a 6 oz bottle. I put some Grapefruit seed extract in it but I am afraid to leave it out of the refrigerator for fear it will go bad. Is the GFS extract enough to prevent it from spoiling and how long is it good for in or out of the fridge? Thanks BB for that recipe and your hair is gorgeous by the way!!!:thumbup:
    3a/b Growing long!!!
    Read my Blog
    The verdict is still out on my first batch of FSG. I think I'd definitely want to make it thicker next time as it's practically liquid.

My hair looks reasonably good today but nothing special. I layered it over Boots curl creme. I plopped after the curl creme and then scrunched the gel in post-plop. Maybe I should have done it pre-plop though to get better clumps?

Ingredients I used:

1/3 cup golden flaxseeds
    2 cups water
    1/2 tsp honey
    1/3 tsp citric acid
    15 drops tangerine oil

I definitely want to keep experimenting. I've got a tea ball on order to see if that works to ditch the annoying 'strain' stage. I'm also considering epsom salt for more hold.

And, of course, boil for longer to get it thicker. I did about ten mins but although I got very gloopy gelatinous 'strings' when I lifted my spoon out, this must have just been a film or part of the mixture because most of it was still very runny and I wound up with a very liquid (half way between water and egg white I would say) mixture post-straining.

Kerry xx
      [/FONT]

Boots 'pink' curl creme
    [/FONT]
  • WinonaWinona Posts: 565Registered Users
    After drying does anyone have little brown specks in you hair?
  • SccuddlersSccuddlers Posts: 3Registered Users
    I made my first batch last night & tried it this morning. I don't think I used enough, but I can tell it has potential. It is lightweight & not sticky at all. I definitely have to do a better job of making sure I get my canopy covered well though. Here are my results:
    hair.jpg
    I think using more will help with the flyaways. What do you think?

~Kim
    ~Kim

2bFi
    No-Poo since 8-4-09 (just starting)

Co-wash: Suave Naturals Tropical Coconut
    Condition: TIGI Catwalk Oatmeal & Honey
    Styling: Herbal Essences Set Me Up Spray Gel & Plopping w/microfiber towel
    Clarify as necessary: Burt's Bees' Very Volumizing Pomegranate & Soy Shampoo
    Your hair looks great sccuddlers!

My FSG is leaving my hair quite poofy and with no definition. I think I didn't boil it long enough. Ah well. The experiments are all good fun!
      [/FONT]

Boots 'pink' curl creme
    [/FONT]
  • BrandilyneBrandilyne Posts: 35Registered Users
    Thanks to all the great info and recipes, I've decided to try my first batch of FSG this weekend. I have two questions:

1) Oddly enough I don't have a small mesh strainer but I do have a splatter guard (like you would use when cooking bacon in a skillet). I don't think it's ever been used (ha!) but I'm going to wash it in the dishwasher regardless. Would this be an acceptable substitute for the strainer or should I just bite the bullet and make a stop at Target on the way home?

2) I've seen several mentions of grapefruit oil used as a preservative, which I also don't happen to have handy. I do have some 100% vegetable glycerin that I use as a preservative in making perfume. Would that work with the FSG or again, should I quit trying to mess with a good recipe and go pick up some grapefruit oil at GNC on the way home?

Thanks in advance!!
    3a/b N iii, shoulder length, high porosity, always dry!
    Tried CG in 2006, started again in July 2009, haven't looked back since! Fully committed PJ, not looking for a cure!
    Current HG products:
    Low-poo: AO Swimmer
    Co-wash
    : VO5 Kiwi Lime and TJ Nourish
    Rinse Out: Giovanni SAS, SS DD, EO, SBS GVP Balm or Aldi Shique
    Leave-In
    : Giovanni 50:50, BellaCurl LI Elixir, CJ Beauticurls, KCKT, Deva B'Leave In
    Stylers
    : SS CEJ, KCCC, FSG, BRHG, TW Lock it up Gel, CJ CIAB
    DT
    : Lustrasilk SBMC, SS DD
  • mpgirlmpgirl Posts: 1,163Registered Users
    You can certainly try the splatter guard, but a dome- shaped strainer is not that expensive and is safer to use with a hot liquid.

I think you mean grapefruit seed extract for the preservative. I don't know anything about the preservative properties of vegetable glycerin.
    3b spirals, fine texture, normal porosity, dense
    Picasa:
    Link
    Deva Low Poo
    Suave Naturals Coconut for detangling
    Renpure Organics conditioner/leave-in
    Homemade FSG
    KCCC
    Curl Junkie Stuff
    BRHG

Nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect. -wabi-sabi

• BrandilyneBrandilyne Posts: 35Registered Users
    mpgirl wrote: »
    You can certainly try the splatter guard, but a dome- shaped strainer is not that expensive and is safer to use with a hot liquid.

I think you mean grapefruit seed extract for the preservative. I don't know anything about the preservative properties of vegetable glycerin.

Ha! Thanks, grapefruit seed extract is exactly what I meant :laughing4: This is why I should not post on the run at work!

I will go out and pick up a proper strainer in the morning, I was just being my typical impatient self and wanting to try a batch when I got home tonight :toothy9:

Thanks so much for the response! And you have the most gorgeous curls!!!
    3a/b N iii, shoulder length, high porosity, always dry!
    Tried CG in 2006, started again in July 2009, haven't looked back since! Fully committed PJ, not looking for a cure!
    Current HG products:
    Low-poo: AO Swimmer
    Co-wash
    : VO5 Kiwi Lime and TJ Nourish
    Rinse Out: Giovanni SAS, SS DD, EO, SBS GVP Balm or Aldi Shique
    Leave-In
    : Giovanni 50:50, BellaCurl LI Elixir, CJ Beauticurls, KCKT, Deva B'Leave In
    Stylers
    : SS CEJ, KCCC, FSG, BRHG, TW Lock it up Gel, CJ CIAB
    DT
    : Lustrasilk SBMC, SS DD
  • OnduleeOndulee Posts: 1,270Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    FSG question...do you think you would get more "jel" out of the seeds if you grind them in a coffee grinder first before you boil them?
    shoulder length inverted bob; fine; 3A-3B; med-thick density; normal porosity; normal elasticity- my hair loves keratin, ACV, silk protein ,Curlkeeper and AG:Recoil ; seems to hate moisturizing products and oils except mineral oil; CG- Jan/'09-mod CG Sept/'09;CG again Jan/'10/mod CG from Mar'10

receive $10 off 1st order of $40 & up, or $5 off on smaller orders, when using iHERB code: GIK909
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Frizzly wrote: »
    FSG question...do you think you would get more "jel" out of the seeds if you grind them in a coffee grinder first before you boil them?

Don't do it, you'll never be able to strain them! It's hard enough, as is. Flax seeds are inexpensive. BB says that you can reuse them a few times. I've only used them for two batches.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Future WaveFuture Wave Posts: 154Registered Users
    kathymack wrote: »
    Frizzly wrote: »

Don't do it, you'll never be able to strain them! It's hard enough, as is. Flax seeds are inexpensive. BB says that you can reuse them a few times. I've only used them for two batches.

Also, if you do manage to strain out a bit of the gel from ground up flax seeds, bits of the ground seeds will get through the strainer too.

*voice of experience here*
    co-wash - Suave Naturals Coconut
    condish - Trader Joe's TTT and Refresh
    styling - FOTE, shea butter, jojoba oil, LA Looks

Kryptonite: Stearalkonium Chloride, quats
    thanks for the words of wisdom, you've probably saved me from a kitchen temper tantrum:toothy10:
    shoulder length inverted bob; fine; 3A-3B; med-thick density; normal porosity; normal elasticity- my hair loves keratin, ACV, silk protein ,Curlkeeper and AG:Recoil ; seems to hate moisturizing products and oils except mineral oil; CG- Jan/'09-mod CG Sept/'09;CG again Jan/'10/mod CG from Mar'10

receive $10 off 1st order of $40 & up, or $5 off on smaller orders, when using iHERB code: GIK909
  • janeylizjaneyliz Posts: 777Registered Users
    I've tried tea balls, sieves of all descriptions and sizes, tea strainers, muslin cloths. You name it, I've tried it. The out and out winner for straining FSG for me is a nylon pop sock. Never fails. Other than the time I used one with a hole in it :confused5: forgot I'd chopped off the end to use for something else - that did result in a kitchen tantrum :angry1:
    Marchioness Chinoise in the land of Mancunia Productia Junkia in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

DT: AOHR
    Wash: Anita Grant babassu bar
    Leave-in: Body Shop cotton seed curl boost with manuka honey mixed in
    Gel: Umberto Giannini Curl Friends scrunching gel
    Odds & ends Lime juice, honey, Anita Grant cafe latte
    I brush with a Tangle Teezer & love Flexi-8's
    www.public.fotki.com/janeyliz
    www.thelilyfoundation.org.uk
    nylon pop sock.

Sorry, I'm a dope, what is that?

• janeylizjaneyliz Posts: 777Registered Users
    Are you in North America? Panty hose type nylon material that's made into socks, either ankle or knee length (I don't wear them, dreadful things)
    Marchioness Chinoise in the land of Mancunia Productia Junkia in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

DT: AOHR
    Wash: Anita Grant babassu bar
    Leave-in: Body Shop cotton seed curl boost with manuka honey mixed in
    Gel: Umberto Giannini Curl Friends scrunching gel
    Odds & ends Lime juice, honey, Anita Grant cafe latte
    I brush with a Tangle Teezer & love Flexi-8's
    www.public.fotki.com/janeyliz
    www.thelilyfoundation.org.uk

• belasunabelasuna Posts: 599Registered Users
    I 2nd the knee-high "pop sock" :-o The cheaper the better as I find the weave has larger holes in the cheapies, just have to make sure not to squeeze so hard it breaks. And remember to wear a thick plastic glove (preferably lined) as the gel is still hot. I could feel the intense heat even wearing one of these.

Has anyone tried straining the gel with a French Press coffee maker. I read somewhere on a thread that this works. I think I will try it this weekend.
    ~belasuna :angel1:
    3a/b, very dry, fine/med-coarse, high porosity
    CG since 7/27/09
    Bella Curl Products
    CW: protein free-cleansing creme
    CO: protein free MRcondish
    Styler: FSG + protein free LI Elixir, Gellie, Shine & Seal Serum
    Lady of Elixir, Keeper of the Secret Blend, in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • AlexjoujouAlexjoujou Posts: 2,364Registered Users
    I don't have any trouble straining mine in the metal sieve I bought at Target but the first batch I made was REALLY hard to strain. Turned out I left it on the heat too long.

I pull it off just a minute after it *starts* to feel slimy like a jelly and mine works like a charm. It is more gloppy than BB's gelee but it works really well using her recipe!
    FIA 2c/3aFi

Done experimenting! Loving Spiral Solutions products!

Blog: http://thewavytales.blogspot.com/
  • mosunamosuna Posts: 94Registered Users
    i just made this gel today and...dare I say it...I think I may have found my HG gel! I haven't tried it on my wet hair yet, but coated my flyaway 2nd day curls with it and they are shiny and gorgeous! I think I will even be able to get 3rd day hair using this gel! (stay tuned!)

I also used this gel with Rudee's Super Soaker Method on my friend's 2-ish hair and it turned out AMAZING...like super mermaid goddess hair.

Not only is it super inexpensive, it is totally natural and it works!

Thank you so much!!!!
    Fotki: http://public.fotki.com/curlymomo/ (password curly)
    Currently loving: Biosilk Rock Hard Gelee, Alba Soft Hold Curl Cream, KCCC
    Striving for: Length!
  • curlprocurlpro Posts: 333Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I made this gel and it is great. My first batch I mad the consistancy of [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curly-Hair-Solutions-Curl-Keeper-p-28.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=curly-hair-solutions-curl-keeper]curl keeper[/buylink] for my DH who has curls, FAB. I just had to convince him to use twice as much. Just distilled water and two tbs of flax seeds plus lemongrass rose and lavender eo. The second batch I cooled 1/2 cup to two cups of distilled water and a 1/4 tsp of epsom salts and cooked it till it was the consistancy of karo syrup plus same eo's. More hold but I need more hold. Tell me about Agave versus honey, edible of these or something else? I just need a little more crunch, any suggestions? I have to say that my curls are pulling up great and no frizz at all, plus soft and shiny and my hair is already shiny, this is like cellophanes shiny(remember the 80's)? But my hair is so fine it needs a little more lift. Thanks BB,
    Cynthia
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    curlpro wrote: »
    More hold but I need more hold. Tell me about Agave versus honey, edible of these or something else? I just need a little more crunch, any suggestions? I have to say that my curls are pulling up great and no frizz at all, plus soft and shiny and my hair is already shiny, this is like cellophanes shiny(remember the 80's)? But my hair is so fine it needs a little more lift. Thanks BB,
    Cynthia

I like agave nectar a little better than honey. I'm currently experimenting with honeyquat ("a naturally derived quaternized conditioning agent made from honey with excellent moisture binding capabilities (far more powerful than glycerin.") Haven't used it enough to see if I like it better. I also add Seamollient which is an algae extract that's supposed to enhance curl and add hold. Other change I make is magnesium oil (magnesium chloride) which is less drying than epsom salt.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • curlprocurlpro Posts: 333Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Hey KathyMac, I was reading about honeyquat, did you order online? I found a company that carries it and other additives that are CG. I don't mind the drying properties of the salts since I have oily hair and when I wear it shorter the oils actually travel to the ends of the hair on the top of my head. I nopoo everyday when it is short. Do you know what the chemical/compound/additive that makes gel have hold in commercial gel? I wonder if that company I found has it, their prices were really good. They had all kinds of protien and preservatives and conditioners and humectants. I think it wouldbe fun to experiment with some of them. I will try the agave nectar, I am going right by the health food store today. Oh yea and the algae seamollient, I think I will skip, I tried the Aubry Organics GBA I think it was, HUGE ALLERGIC REACTION!!! flaming head and face for about five hours even with benedryl. I am so stupid, I am allergic to mold, I have to get shots for it. No food allergies so I can put any kind of food on my head with no problem (LOL) agave here I come. I used 1/4 teaspoon of epsom salt, what would be the maximum to use?, I don't want to over do it adding too much to 2 cups of water.
    Thanks,
    Cynthia

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file