No-fail flax seed gel - I finally did it...TWICE!

1141516171820»

Comments

• SteyaSteya Posts: 1Registered Users
    Hi, Im new :). I try today the flax seed gel and I in love with it. My recipe is:
    • 2 1/2 cup of water
    • 1cup of flax seed
    • 1 tablespoon of olive oil
    • 1 tablespoon of coconut oil
    • 1/2 tablespoon of black castor oil
    I put the seeds in the water and when boiled it started to move so they do not stick together. When she was egg white consistency and put it out. When was warm add the oil mixture and stir to mix well. I apply in my damp hair.
    The results is amazing, my hair is shinning, my curls have a great definition, non frizz or shrinkage today.

Before and afer pic (after 1 hour later)
    Snapshot_20131002_7.JPG

Snapshot_20131002_2 (2).JPG
  • RobbieGrlRobbieGrl Posts: 2Registered Users
    I tried this today (after ordering some online and getting too impatient waiting for it to arrive- haha). I was surprised how easy it was to make. The only thing I added to mine this time was some mint extract. Unconventional choice, I know, but I love the smell! My curls are so soft and moisturized. I can't wait to see what it does as I continue to play with it! I attached an "after" picture but I couldn't figure out how to attach more than one picture at a time, sorry.
    3 months CG
    Leave in: KCKT
    Gel: Homemade FSG
    PT: IAGirls Recipe
  • AmyJeanneAmyJeanne Posts: 12Registered Users
    I just whipped up a batch of this while I wait for my SweetCurls Elixirs order to ship. I added a Tbsp of Aloe Vera juice and a couple drops of lavender EO. It was so ridiculously easy to make! I want to try adding marshmallow root, xanthan gum, and coconut oil next time.
    2c/3a "Boticelli Waves", coarse, low/normal porosity, normal density, normal elasticity (GoosefootPrints analysis).

Back to CG after several attempts at no-poo.
    Trying to get back my curl (BS/ACV and pregnancy did a number on it).

Low-Poo: Devacurl No-Poo, Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus
    Rinse-Out/Leave-In: Deavacurl One Condition, Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture
    Stylers: Devacurl Ultra Defining Gel

Looking for the lowest maintenance, natural care routine possible.
  • dixygirldixygirl Posts: 279Banned Users
    Do not add salt unless you are a loose wavy type 2!
    Salt dries the hair out and frizzes it but shrinks your curls tighter and frizzier. So curlies, unless you want to be kinkies, do not add salt. For wavies who want to be curly it's ok...sort of.
    3b/c, 2c at nape, fine, norm-hi porosity, low density, biracial, BSL
    Conditioner:Kanechom, Silicon Mix. Hello Hydration. ApHogee 2min
    Co-Wash: $ store cond
    Prepoo: combinations of:yogurt, liquid aminos, honey,mustard oil, egg,red palm oil,coconut milk
    Leave in Products: Silicon Mix Proteina de Perla LI, coconut milk, coconut oil, olive oil, or mustard oil
    Naturally curly color treated
    Fan of www.tightlycurly.com "Curly Like Me"
  • BeinDebBeinDeb Posts: 522Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    arel wrote: »

Hello everyone,

I prepared some of this on Saturday, while I had my hair up with lots of coconut oil on the ends and some amla and shikakai (need to use up what I have).

My question is: is there any reason why it has to be with boiled water?

I am asking, because I would get the same consistency if I was just letting the seeds soak overnight.

As for the results, I must say I liked it (maybe I will need more gel in the future) but I will keep experimenting :thumright:

That's what I do. I pour hot, purified or distilled water that I buy over the seeds and then let it sit for 3 or 4 hours. I then strain using a regular mesh strainer, and then once again, using one of those permanent coffee filters. I then mix in my additives, pour it into a spray bottle, and I'm good to go for the week with much less fuss and muss. I've also made the regular gel, but this works just the same for me, probably because my hair is so porous.
  • arelarel Posts: 54Registered Users
    BeinDeb wrote: »
    arel wrote: »

Hello everyone,

I prepared some of this on Saturday, while I had my hair up with lots of coconut oil on the ends and some amla and shikakai (need to use up what I have).

My question is: is there any reason why it has to be with boiled water?

I am asking, because I would get the same consistency if I was just letting the seeds soak overnight.

As for the results, I must say I liked it (maybe I will need more gel in the future) but I will keep experimenting :thumright:

That's what I do. I pour hot, purified or distilled water that I buy over the seeds and then let it sit for 3 or 4 hours. I then strain using a regular mesh strainer, and then once again, using one of those permanent coffee filters. I then mix in my additives, pour it into a spray bottle, and I'm good to go for the week with much less fuss and muss. I've also made the regular gel, but this works just the same for me, probably because my hair is so porous.

Thanks for letting me know... I finally (two weeks ago) found out my hair is porous and this might help ... I cannot style it yet... (still learning).... I get nice waves on wash day... but they don't last... and I would like to keep the shape for as long as possible...

I need to get back on track and prepare some of this and give it another try...
    CO: VO5 KLSC Conditioner
    RO: SNCT
    PT: AIgirl's gelatin recipe

Testing: LALSAG, AVG,
  • BeinDebBeinDeb Posts: 522Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    My hair loves this stuff! The only thing I add to it, is Sally's Colorful Neutral Protein Filler (CNPF), a smidgen of vitamin E, and a 3 or 4 drops of essential lavender oil. As my hair is naturally porous, it requires protein to keep the curls lively. My last batch, I tried adding a bit of aloe vera gel to it, and it didn't seem to work near as well.
  • judesjudes Posts: 8Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Sorry, this post is kind of long!

I made a batch of FSG a couple of days ago with a few modifications. Like a lot of people, I was getting frustrated with having to keep it in the fridge or having it go sour, so I've been adding Liquid Germall for several months, and I don't feel there is any difference to the quality or performance of the gel. It is odourless, and doesn't seem to be drying. This time, I decided to experiment with castor oil and glycerine, but these can certainly be left out. I added a little bit of xanthan gum to thicken the gel slightly. I've also found a way to avoid the bother of straining the gel by boiling the seeds in a cheap nylon knee-high stocking. I have used this new concoction twice, and both times, it has given me excellent clumping and defined my normally skinny little waves into big, soft, thicker waves that I've been hoping for. My hair is as shiny as it has always been using the more traditional FSG recipe. So far, this new blend is a winner! Hope you all have luck with it, too.

Jude's FSG

1 cup water
    1 cup orange flower water or rose water (or total of 2 cups plain water, if preferred)
    1/2 cup whole flax seeds (I use brown)
    1/2 tsp epsom salts (if extra curl is desired)
    1/2 tsp castor oil
    1/2 tsp glycerine
    1/2 tsp liquid Germall
    1/4 tsp xanthan gum
    6 drops essential or fragrance oil of your choice (I used Sand & Surf perfume oil from Lathers & Lights)

Place 1/2 cup flax seeds in the toe of a nylon knee-high sock and tie the end tightly. Cut off excess nylon and save for another use. Place water and seed pouch in a plastic bowl or ziploc bag with the 2 cups of water, seal bowl or bag and soak overnight.

Transfer liquid and the knee-high full of seeds to a pot, add epsom salts if desired, and bring to a full rolling boil. Reduce to medium heat and continue to boil gently 5-7 minutes (or longer if a thicker gel is desired). While the seeds are boiling, "squish" the pouch several times with a wooden spoon to release the gel. Meanwhile, mix castor oil, glycerine, liquid Germall and xanthan gum with a spoon in a small bowl. Remove pot from heat and carefully remove the pouch of seeds with tongs. Try to squeeze excess gel from the pouch and add it back into the pot with the rest of the gel. Scrape the glycerine mixture into the pot, add essential/perfume oil and blend well with whisk. If desired, blend the gel further in a Magic Bullet or blender to fully incorporate all ingredients. When cool, pour into an empty bottle and use in good health!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    This pic is from around 2014
    2b/3a fine, high density, medium porosity
    No poo/Co-wash: Some generic dollar store thing (it's called Salle) or Tresseme Perfectly (un)Done
    RO: Meh, not really. Sometimes Tresemme Expert deep conditioner
    Styler: Tresemme Perfectly (un)Done
  • curlsandblondiecurlsandblondie Posts: 8Registered Users
    I loved it and use it in every wash and go. Can't live without it:) Thank you so much for the recipe!!!!

I started my natural hair journey a year ago. It has been a struggle! I'm a real product junkie. I've used sheamoisture, kinky curly, giovanni, jessicurl, curly hair solutions etc etc. I'm still learning... But FSG is my HG!

I just started a instagram account about my journey: curlsandblondies

These are my results
  • curlisue1curlisue1 Posts: 493Registered Users Curl Novice
    ^ Wow. I love your curls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • FluffyZGigglerFluffyZGiggler Posts: 20Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    edited December 2017
    After finally reading through ALL of the comments, I gotta say ya'll put a lot of stuff in your FSG. I stick to the basic recipe and have been for about a year now, although I'll be honest I fudge the ratio... a lot... I may add some honey to mine for more hold though, just cause.

Also I have no idea how you can do it without sealing it. I seal it with whatever oil concoction I've got going at the time, plop, and when I eventually diffuse I'm left with zero crunch to scrunch. I sandwich it between conditioners cause it's just not heavy enough for my hair that is way too low-porous now to let that be enough. I still need something to activate my curls into curling, but it does great with the clumping and awesome on the feel so I'll take it. I'm also blessed in that I only do my hair about once a week so I'm not overdoing it and my hair gets fatigued. If only I could find something that gives my curls that spring that I don't need to apply a lot of and doesn't have silicones.
    3c/4a Med-Low Porosity, Protein Friendly
    Poo: Neutragina T-Gel (yay seborrheic dermatitis!)
    Cond: Whole Foods 365 Cond - Lavender
    Leave-In: Mill Creek Botanicals Keratin, MC Leave-In
    Styler: Girls With Curls Curl Defining Cream, FSG
    Seal: Jojoba, Coconut (don't recommend), Vitamin-E, Avocado, Apricot
  • mbeckhhpmbeckhhp Posts: 154Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    So glad this popped up.To remind me to make batch of FSG. Used to make big batches, and freeze some, give some away to my curly friends. Then found CJ pattern pusha, and went to that. I mostly wear my hair loosely up. But nothing Ive tried, has ever beat FSG, Now, with the suggestions for the knee sock,seed holder. Im inspired again. Plus it was fun.I refrigerated most my add-ins, so even after more than a year ,bet they till work. I have always  used liquid Germall plus, and has worked great.I can't do the heavy oils, as Im very fine #A, and pretty porous, so I always added, silk amino proteins, for some oompth and shine, also fr Herbarie. The Mod's are endless. Thanks,Jude
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]3a/2a/spirals ultraF-i/ii,med/hi porosity,med/elasticity,colortreated/grey
    • Cowash[/C.J. daily fix,, Condish Peter Lamas volumizing(rice protein) mixed w CJ smoothing,orGiovanni 50/50,or Eulasense balanced moisture. Leaveins,KCKT,KomazaCalifia,GDLIStylers:FSG,*, KCCC&BRHG, CJ CIAB.mixed w Pattern Pusha.FOTE on dry. SOTC :1 drop meadowfoam oil.DT:biolageCB or curl rehab over megatek,CJ repair me.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file