Red Hair?

Karua12Karua12 Registered Users Posts: 155
Do any of you have the same experience as me that their permed hair is reddish/brownish? I never knew my hair was almost jet-black until I started transitioning and so though now I get more questions on why my hair is so straight and curly at the same time, I also get asked if I dyed my hair in the past because of the contrast. I know other friends whose hair also turned that odd red color so I'm just wondering if any of you know why that happens. Wow... for a chemical to turn my hair a different shade (when it wasn't suppose to) it must be powerful... :confused1:
Hey everyone!~ I've BCed! Yay! (13 month transition)
Last Perm: March 23, 2008
BC: April 24, 2009

Goals: To learn how to style my hair and continue to grow it healthy and happy!
Hair type: :o 4b near the temples, 3c in the back/nape and 4a everywhere! Mostly coily-curly with medium-fine strands and medium thickness.

event.png

Comments

• Naptural9jaNaptural9ja Registered Users Posts: 183
    The opposite happened to my mom when she was younger. Relaxer turned her hair from light to dark. And I'm convinced that the relaxer over the years has turned my light hair darker and darker.
  • Auburn SunsetAuburn Sunset Registered Users Posts: 160
    Unfortunately red hair is common if you had a previous relaxer. Bantu is nortorious for turning your hair red. I happened to experience a combo of both the sun and relaxer. The sun naturally turned my hair red in the summer and w/ a relaxer on top of that, my hair is now a burnt orange, lol. Now with my hair growing out it's a sandy brown color with auburn highlights. I hope I don't look too odd once it's all been cut off.
    Karua12 wrote: »
    Do any of you have the same experience as me that their permed hair is reddish/brownish? I never knew my hair was almost jet-black until I started transitioning and so though now I get more questions on why my hair is so straight and curly at the same time, I also get asked if I dyed my hair in the past because of the contrast. I know other friends whose hair also turned that odd red color so I'm just wondering if any of you know why that happens. Wow... for a chemical to turn my hair a different shade (when it wasn't suppose to) it must be powerful... :confused1:
    http://members.fotki.com/auburnsunset/

:flower:Happy to be 3B, 3C & 4A
    My Fav's
    Nakia Amour Products
  • mixededmixeded Registered Users Posts: 381
    Oh yeah definitely!
    Half my hair (the relaxed part) is like sun-bleached looking light brownish. The natural roots are a much darker brown.
    :duckie: Fotki!
    Last relaxer: Feb. 2008
    Big Chop:
    Jan. 2009
  • Carli07Carli07 Registered Users Posts: 5
    As long as I can remember, my hair has been a dark auburn color. After reading this thread, I'm wondering if my hair will change colors after the BC. I hope not. I love my hair color :love10:.

event.png
  • Stephanie198907Stephanie198907 Registered Users Posts: 2,607 Curl Neophyte
    I was thinking the exact same thing a few weeks ago. When I pin my hair up in a bun the tips are reddish/brown and the natural hair is jet black.
    I love the reddish/brown and thought it was my natural color for the longest :(. Im kind of sad because the reddish/brown color looks really nice. In the summer it would turn honey blonde.
    Now that I am almost 12 months post I can honestly say it was def. the relaxer making my hair lighter. When Im fully natural I might try henna to see if I can get that color back naturally.
    Last Relaxer: Nov. 07
    BC: May. 2010 (30 months)
    Hair Type: thick 4b/4a
    Current length: back at APL
    Goal length: hip :color:
    Staples: natural growth aides
  • Karua12Karua12 Registered Users Posts: 155
    I was thinking the exact same thing a few weeks ago. When I pin my hair up in a bun the tips are reddish/brown and the natural hair is jet black.
    I love the reddish/brown and thought it was my natural color for the longest :(. Im kind of sad because the reddish/brown color looks really nice. In the summer it would turn honey blonde.
    Now that I am almost 12 months post I can honestly say it was def. the relaxer making my hair lighter. When Im fully natural I might try henna to see if I can get that color back naturally.

If these had been my exact words, it couldn't have been more true :sad11:
    Hey everyone!~ I've BCed! Yay! (13 month transition)
    Last Perm: March 23, 2008
    BC: April 24, 2009

Goals: To learn how to style my hair and continue to grow it healthy and happy!
    Hair type: :o 4b near the temples, 3c in the back/nape and 4a everywhere! Mostly coily-curly with medium-fine strands and medium thickness.

event.png

• c.ptfemmec.ptfemme Registered Users Posts: 67
    yeah..I dont like it at all. I like red hair though. the color that henna provides for example is nice but I dont like that brassy reddish brown color the relaxer run off gave my hair.
    transition - 12.07 - 3.09 (15 mos)
    length: medium
    hairy type: diff types.

comic-p.jpg

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file