We’d like your help getting CurlTalk back on its feet!

By participating on CurlTalk — posting, commenting, liking — in the next few weeks, you will automatically be entered to win amazing prizes.

Our latest winner is Savagegirl!

CurlyCanadian, Bomega and EllaJ have also won wonderful prizes! Will you be next? Post, like, comment, GET ACTIVE and help us get CurlTalk ENERGIZED again!

Learn more!

Protein DT = stronger hair?

ReddishRocksReddishRocks Posts: 779Registered Users Curl Neophyte
*kicks the search feature* Yeah, I'm sure this has been covered, but since "DT" is shorter than three letters... :cussing: That's DEEP TREATMENT for anyone searching in the future. *sigh* ;)

My goal is to strengthen my hair. I was trying some updo's, and I wasn't happy to see the breakage in my hands when I was done (and I honestly wasn't abusing my hair!).

Anyway, I'm fairly certain that I'm protein sensitive in that my hair feels like straw if I use it too frequently. But would it be advisable to do a protein DT to strengthen my hair, followed my a moisturizing DT? Or is that stupid/redundant? :D Are there other things I can or should be doing to strengthen my hair?

17May09GlenEyriecrop-1.jpg

Hair is best when wabi-sabi.
2b/2c at this length, more 3a when shorter
M/C ii

Mod CG: Sept 08
Using: Suave co-wash, GVP Conditioning Balm, Lustrasilk OOC, MGA, BRHG
Humectants: @ dew point 40+
My blog for dry climate curlies and growing out a pixie: Colorado Curly

Comments

• SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    My hair gets dry, brittle, and totally frizzed out when I used protein. I find Cholesterol with carrot oil or olive oil mixed with my condish to be the best DT.

Some hair just does not like protein no matter what condition the hair is in and no matter what other ingredients are in the protein ladel product.
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    If you're protein sensitive, I wouldn't do a protein DT. Cassia is very strengthening, you may want to try that.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • AprilnUtahAprilnUtah Posts: 519Registered Users
    Maybe a good way to find out if a protein DT would be good for your hair would be to try just a regular protein condish once and see how it turns out.
    I was using a "reconstructor" condish every day for a while and I loved how it made my hair look, but I got dry and strawlike after a while. So, I quit using it and eventually I got overconditioned and limp/poofy/frizzy. Now I use it once a week (or maybe once every two weeks depending on how my hair is feeling) and it's a good balance for me.
    April
    3a/b, med texture, med porosity, low dews

• ReddishRocksReddishRocks Posts: 779Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    kathymack wrote: »
    If you're protein sensitive, I wouldn't do a protein DT. Cassia is very strengthening, you may want to try that.

I was reading about Cassia... and thought about trying it, LOL! It's another case of, "But will it change my hair color???" What I read says that it just makes your hair shinier... Do you have experience with it, Kathy?

M/C ii

That's not a bad idea... :D I might give that a shot if I decide I'm too chicken to try the cassia!

M/C ii

Speckla wrote: »
    My hair gets dry, brittle, and totally frizzed out when I used protein. I find Cholesterol with carrot oil or olive oil mixed with my condish to be the best DT.

Some hair just does not like protein no matter what condition the hair is in and no matter what other ingredients are in the protein ladel product.

I should look up more information on Cholesterol treatments. Doesn't BotticelliBabe use them???

M/C ii

I should look up more information on Cholesterol treatments. Doesn't BotticelliBabe use them???

I'm really not sure but that does ring a bell.

I like the fact that Cholesterol is so cheat & moisturizing.
  • CurlyHairedFarmerCurlyHairedFarmer Posts: 3,073Registered Users

I'm really not sure but that does ring a bell.

I like the fact that Cholesterol is so cheat & moisturizing.

Where do you get it?
    Currently Loving:
    Shampoo: Giovanni 50:50

Conditioners - CJ Strengthening, CJ Beauticurls Argan and Olive Oil, CJ Rehab, CJ Curl Fix

Leave-in: CJ Smoothing

Deep Conditioner: CJ Hibiscus and Banana Deep Fix

Stylers - Tigi Curls Rock Amplifier, AG:Recoil, KCCC, Mop-C Curling Cream, Paul Mitchell Sculpting foam
  • DEL2CDEL2C Posts: 6,418Registered Users
    It looks like this /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fresources.shopstyle.com%2Fpim%2F30%2Fc3%2F30c3c23ff4c89d233fafebc1adb78d45_medium.jpg" class="Popup

and you can find it in the ethnic hair section at any Walmart. They have more than one formula though with an added a "cone" so be careful and check the ingredients. I was at Walmart the other day and looked at it and there was no cone.
    Discovered CG 2007

2C Fia BSL/Thick/Med-Coarse/Low(crown)-Normal Porosity Protein and Oil Sensitive

Link-Spritz & Condish Washing:glasses7:

I'm aCurlJunkieJunky :love4:

My hair LOVES Coconut DESPISES Soap Bars :tongue6:

CJRehab or H&B Fix, Deva NO POO, EO Rose & Cham POO & Condish, CJ CurlFix, CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ CIAB, SS FHG, KCCC, BRHG, AG Mousse Gel, ACV Rinses,Shikakai Conditioning Hair Rinse.
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I was reading about Cassia... and thought about trying it, LOL! It's another case of, "But will it change my hair color???" What I read says that it just makes your hair shinier... Do you have experience with it, Kathy?

Used to do it every three weeks. Since using the more natural products and bars, I haven't felt the need. There is no color change. I bought a kilo when I got it, I'm sure we could work something out. pm me if interested.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Posts: 17,502Registered Users
    I am very sensitve to protein, and I find that the only thing it tolerates is a weekly hit of keratin. I use the cheap GVP version from Sally's about once a week. It also perks up the curls for me. I had a date last night and did my hair after work. I used the GVP for five minutes and then my [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Knot-Today-p-207.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-knot-today-leaveindetangler]KCKT[/buylink]/[buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] combo. My hair is at the top of my hip when wet, but it got bouncy shrinkage to APL last night! Also, the dew point was 30 degress, which may be of interest to you. :)

You could also search for stretch test to see if your hair needs protein.

Oh, if you are searching for short terms, try an asterisk. Say, if you are searching for DT, try DT**. I find it fairly helpful.

ETA: Here is a link talking about the stretch test.
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
    I am very sensitve to protein, and I find that the only thing it tolerates is a weekly hit of keratin. I use the cheap GVP version from Sally's about once a week. It also perks up the curls for me. I had a date last night and did my hair after work. I used the GVP for five minutes and then my [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Knot-Today-p-207.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-knot-today-leaveindetangler]KCKT[/buylink]/[buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] combo. My hair is at the top of my hip when wet, but it got bouncy shrinkage to APL last night! Also, the dew point was 30 degress, which may be of interest to you. :)

You could also search for stretch test to see if your hair needs protein.

Oh, if you are searching for short terms, try an asterisk. Say, if you are searching for DT, try DT**. I find it fairly helpful.

ETA: Here is a link talking about the stretch test.
    Thanks a bunch - I'll definitely work on this stretch test business. Hadn't heard of it before! :)

I was thinking of you this morning, actually. I'm putting together a WordPress page for dry curlies with a lot of the dew point and humectant information that we've been talking about. :) I'll let you know when it's done. ;)

(... and tell me what ALP stands for so I can add it to the acronym list! :toothy7:I've got BSL, but I know there are others...)

M/C ii

APL is armpit length.

I'm glad that you're doing a dry climate curly page! We hear so much from us eastern curlies in the humid summers that it will be nice to read another perspective. It's also good winter info for the eastern curlies. Our dew points won't get as low as some in CO, UT, AZ, or similar, but they will get low enough to loosen curl.

APL = armpit length - sexy, huh? :wink:

that does sound sort of weird I guess. :)

Sounds weird but is next goal to reach curly.

My hair usually doesn't like protein of any kind but I was able to use Nioxin Bionutrient Cleanser that has some wheat protein way down on the bottom of the list. My hair isn't bad with this if I shampoo once a week but it makes my hair shrink too much. But my hair freaks out if I try anything else that has wheat protein, coconut, or keratin in it. Darn protein sensitivity. :(

Sounds weird but is next goal to reach curly.

My hair usually doesn't like protein of any kind but I was able to use Nioxin Bionutrient Cleanser that has some wheat protein way down on the bottom of the list. My hair isn't bad with this if I shampoo once a week but it makes my hair shrink too much.

That is the hard part - shrinkage. I love having maximum curl formation, which means more shrinkage. But, I also like seeing length. Catch-22.

But RCC, your hair still looks long with all your shrinkage!! I drool over pictures of your hair.

ReddishRocks,
    I find that my hair is strong if I can get moisture to better penetrate the shaft. I usally dampened my hair, slather on Cholestrol, and add a heatcap (grocery bag). Your body will product heat and help your hair to absorb the conditioner.
  • WiggilyhairWiggilyhair Posts: 780Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I found a a protein deep conditioner that isn't at all drying-I don't use another conditioner after it. It's L'anza Hair Repair. It has lots of moisturizing ingredients in it. I think it's CG too. I haven't been able to find an ingredients list to have it "analyzed" by CG'rs. It's in a blue/gray tube. I buy it at Ulta or Trade Secret. /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.shopwiki.com%2Fdetail%2Fd%3DLanza_Hair_Repair_Reconstructor_" class="Popup(4_oz)_(B000O2MG4M)/jumpToFirst=t/
  • afrosheenqueenafrosheenqueen Posts: 5,400Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Anyway, I'm fairly certain that I'm protein sensitive in that my hair feels like straw if I use it too frequently. But would it be advisable to do a protein DT to strengthen my hair, followed my a moisturizing DT? Or is that stupid/redundant? :D Are there other things I can or should be doing to strengthen my hair?

No, it doesn't sound stupid to me. Some deep treatments have different purpose. Its either reconscructing/repairing or moisturizing/softening.

I used [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Elucence-Moisture-Balancing-Conditioner-p-39.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=elucence-elucence-moisture-balancing-conditioner]Elucence MBC[/buylink] conditioner as my deep treatment yesterday. Its not marketed as a DT but the protein in it is high enough that I can't use it for more than 2 days in a row. So I use it as a protein treament.

Today I used Lustrasilk Shea Butter Cholesterol. Its very moisturizing and very cheap ($2.50). The ingredients are :
    Water, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Stearyl Alcohol, Cetyl Alcohol, Shea Butter, Mango Seed Butter, Choleterol, Soybean oil, Safflower oil, Wheat Germ oil, Aloe Vera, Vitamin E, parabens, phosophoric acid, DMDM Hydantonin, Disodium EDTA, Yellow.
    4a/b Texlaxed hair w/ highlights. Medium texture & high porosity.

HG's: CJ Daily Fix, Bobeam Cheris Hibiscus shampoo bar, KC Spiral Spritz, Knot Today, CJ Rehab, KBB LL Hair Mask, Cassia, KCCC, oil blend of Avocado, Camellia, Jojoba, & Meadowfoam oils

SL APL BSL MBL
  • CurlygoddessCurlygoddess Posts: 287Registered Users
    I have been told that you should always follow a heavy protein deep treatment with a moisturizing one. This helps avoid the dryness and brittleness.
    I usually follow up with Suave Coconut or Biolage hydrating balm after I do an Apohgee treatment.
    Thick coarse 4b hair. Holy Grail: Kinky-Curly Curling Custard. Trying to grow it to bra strap length. Currently collar bone length.
  • BotticelliBabeBotticelliBabe Posts: 1,574Registered Users

I do I do!!! Had the best hair day of my LIFE with a 9 hour LeKair Cholesterol DT just a few weeks ago. MIL just brought me another one she picked up at a dollar store (she didn't say which store though - sorry) - and it's Softee brand, very pink, with no cones. Just remember that it has mineral oil in it, so you should do a low poo after to remove that. I think Queen Helene was the brand I saw that had a cone in it, but I can't remember for sure. Check labels just in case.

I section off my hair like I'm going to wear pigtails, then cut those sections in half going from the top of my ear back to my crown so I have four equal sections. Then I spray each section with water and slather on the Cholesterol, then brush it through with my Denman and twist it up like a huge bantu knot. I secure it around the base of the knot with a jaw clip, and repeat for each of the other three sections. Then I put a shower cap on and let it sit as long as I can before showering and washing it out.

S'good stuff! :toothy3:
    BB

35ncsigpic-vi.jpg
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.BotticelliBotanicals.etsy.com" class="Popup
    BSL/Mid Back, thick 3a/b

Botticelli Botanicals Meringue
    Botticelli Botanicals Smoothie
    Botticelli Botanicals Styling Mudd w/ double avocado oil and double agave
    Botticelli Botanicals Lime in the Coconut Butter

I do I do!!! Had the best hair day of my LIFE with a 9 hour LeKair Cholesterol DT just a few weeks ago. MIL just brought me another one she picked up at a dollar store (she didn't say which store though - sorry) - and it's Softee brand, very pink, with no cones. Just remember that it has mineral oil in it, so you should do a low poo after to remove that. I think Queen Helene was the brand I saw that had a cone in it, but I can't remember for sure. Check labels just in case.

I section off my hair like I'm going to wear pigtails, then cut those sections in half going from the top of my ear back to my crown so I have four equal sections. Then I spray each section with water and slather on the Cholesterol, then brush it through with my Denman and twist it up like a huge bantu knot. I secure it around the base of the knot with a jaw clip, and repeat for each of the other three sections. Then I put a shower cap on and let it sit as long as I can before showering and washing it out.

So... where'd you get it in the first place if you don't know which dollar store??? :D

M/C ii

• BotticelliBabeBotticelliBabe Posts: 1,574Registered Users

So... where'd you get it in the first place if you don't know which dollar store??? :D

*lol* Sorry - I meant to say that she bought me a different brand (Softee) at a dollar store from what I usually get (LeKair) from Wal Mart. Does that help? :toothy7:
    BB

35ncsigpic-vi.jpg
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.BotticelliBotanicals.etsy.com" class="Popup
    BSL/Mid Back, thick 3a/b

Botticelli Botanicals Meringue
    Botticelli Botanicals Smoothie
    Botticelli Botanicals Styling Mudd w/ double avocado oil and double agave
    Botticelli Botanicals Lime in the Coconut Butter
    *lol* Sorry - I meant to say that she bought me a different brand (Softee) at a dollar store from what I usually get (LeKair) from Wal Mart. Does that help? :toothy7:

Helps a lot! I've got a Sally's that's closer than WalMart, so I'm going to try there too. Supposed to be in-store according to their website.

... I'm so excited. :D I just discovered that my hair is actually coarse, so I'm getting a little more adventurous with the deep moisture. I used to think I'd just get weighed down, but now... these crispy strands tell a different story.

M/C ii

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights