WHAT ABOUT THE TANGLES?

PeachycurlPeachycurl Posts: 3Registered Users
Hi Everybody, I'm new to the site...I like the things I have read, found them interesting and helpful-especially the products- I've been using Pantene Relaxed and Natural Shampoo, Conditioner and mousse and then the moisturizing creme and wrap and set lotion...I roll my hair on perm rods to curl it after shampooing, then I wear a satin cap to bed nightly...

my thing is tangles...does anybody have a problem with tangles, and if so, what do you use? Any help would be appreciated :D

Comments

• dia99dia99 Posts: 1,998Registered Users
    Please don't use me as an expert - I just started with this, too, and I've been natural this time a year and a half. :D

But, I got a rec here a few weeks ago to get the Denman D4 brush. That has been excellent for detangling in the two weeks I've had it. Sometimes I use my wide-tooth comb first, but I really don't have to. I use it while the conditioner is in my hair, and I've been using it to "comb" products through a couple of times.

I really love this brush. My husband picked it up at Sally's for me.

I'm sure you'll get lots of great advice! Good luck!
    People rise to the standard expected of them. GC
  • PeachycurlPeachycurl Posts: 3Registered Users
    Hi, and thanks! I'm going to see if I can pick up one tomorrow...April will be a year since my last perm, and the tangles are my biggest issue :cry: I know I am ripping up my hair trying to get them out

Thanks again, and I'll report back on how I make out with it :)
  • CherishCherish Posts: 1,847Registered Users
    Are you transitioning? If so, you might want to stop by the Transitioning forum. They are experts at managing 2 textures.
  • Curlee QCurlee Q Posts: 523Registered Users
    I know sometimes tangles may also mean you need to get your ends trimmed. Also maybe look into a different conditioner that may help with detangling a little better. Some work better than others with me and Im with Dia, sop your hair up with conditioner and the denman works great. Section your hair start from the back to the front.
    http://www.youtube.com/Kittykat1374

natural since 6/05
  • PeachycurlPeachycurl Posts: 3Registered Users
    Hi Cherish :) I'm not sure if I should consider myself transitioning- I've been without a perm since early April '05, but I'll stop by the transitioning forum, also- thanks!

curlee Q, hello, and thanks for answering :) I think you've hit the nail on the head- my ends DO need to be trimmed, I just recently discovered a natural hair care shop and made an appointment...my hair is really soft, and I have a hard time trying to find someone who will not make me feel as if they are trying to pull my brains out while they are doing my hair...that was one of the big reasons for me deciding to go natural

Ladies, thank you all, and I'm on my way out to get that Denman D4 brush! :D
  • CherishCherish Posts: 1,847Registered Users
    Transitioning is when you haven't had a perm in while, but you still have the relaxed/texturized ends. The line of demarcation between the two is weak and there is more of a tendency for mad tangling. Maintaining the 2 is an art, based on some threads I've read - I am that full on chopper type who has chopped a bunch of times, so I'm not familiar with the challenges with that type of growout.

If you've cut all the permed hair off, then I would lose the curlers - you can achieve the same effects by twisting or plaiting.

I would get a very wide tooth comb that is seamless and preferably static free. Also the Denman D4 that was recommended.

Research better conditioners than the pantene relaxed and naturals - I think relaxed women like that one better. Anyway, IMO pantene is just crappy. I like stuff like Kenra, Aubrey GPB, ORS Hair Mayo, etc.

Good luck! :D
  • susususu Posts: 767Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I agree with what everyone said. In addition to a good conditioner (like the ones mentioned above), I would also invest in a good shampoo like Creme of Nature. Most shampoos leave my hair a tangled mess, but after using CoN, my hair actually feels very soft and tangle-free.

Also, I use *a lot* more conditioner now that I'm natural. When you're in the shower, make sure your hair's fully coated w/ conditioner, let it seep in a bit, then comb or brush (I use an Aveda paddle brush) section by section, starting from your ends and working your way up. Hope that helps!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file