"In Death" series

automaticflowersautomaticflowers Posts: 3,465Registered Users
I generally don't read books by authors who are known primarily for romance. However, I find myself addicted to the futuristic "In Death" series by JD Robb (pen name for Nora Roberts). Skipping past the typical sex scenes, what you find are great characters, interesting murder plots and humorous dialogue. Just finished "Origin in Death", here's a description of it:

"From Publishers Weekly
Set in the year 2059, this latest in Robb's long-running series featuring acerbic Lt. Eve Dallas of the New York police is the best in recent memory. In the past, Robb has kept whiz-bang futuristic effects to a minimum, allowing her world to grow organically out of dialogue and characterization; this time she incorporates science fiction elements—including the future of cosmetic surgery, cloning, scientific morality and physical mortality—into her plot, giving the series a big shot of adrenaline. Eve and her partner, Det. Delia Peabody, are visiting the Wilfred B. Icove Center for Reconstructive and Cosmetic Surgery on a celebrity murder case when the center's founder, old Wilfred Icove, is discovered with a scalpel rammed into his heart. Wilfred Jr., also a surgeon at the center, is grief stricken, as is his family and most of the rest of the country. Wilfred Sr., everyone agrees, was a saint. Except he wasn't, as Eve and savvy mystery readers will have already guessed. Eve gathers her usual crime-fighting crew around her, including her drop-dead gorgeous, fabulously wealthy, staggeringly brilliant husband, Roarke. Robb tones down the romance and ups the action ante as the team uncovers an increasingly horrific crime that builds to a race-against-the-clock climax that will have readers cheering."

Comments

• 2poodles2poodles Curl Connoisseur Posts: 2,485Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Oh, I :love7: these books!! I'm totally addicted. I heard that at one point Mel Gibson had bought the movie rights to them, but nothing ever came of it. I think they'd make for a great movie!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2Poodles :flower: Southeast PA
    fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
    Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
    Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

• solangesolange Posts: 2,539Registered Users
    I've read about 3 or 4 of these - my guilty pleasure!!
    3C, BSL Unstretched -
  • RednaturalcurlsRednaturalcurls Curl Neophyte Posts: 1,814Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Love, love, love those books :love7:!!!! I have read everyone I can get my hands on. I don't care for the other books that Nora Roberts writes, but as JD Robb, those are the best books. Love the relationship dynamics and the personalities. Always an interesting read.
    Hair Type: mix of 3's, growing out an angled bob, color-treated red.
    Current products: GVP conditioning balm for co-wash and leave in, Curl Junkie Curls in a Bottle, Pattern Pusha and Garnier Anti-humidity hairspray
    Hair idol: Kimberly Schlapman from Little Big Town
  • selfcurledgirlselfcurledgirl Curl Connoisseur Posts: 518Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I have posted a couple of times without response for a book club in NYC where we really meet monthly. Any ideas about where to post it here and get responses? or why no response. I really need the deadline to read more and it is great to talk about books and meet people that way.
    Hair type, thin, 3b, past my shoulders always looking for length. Use jessicurl hair cleansing cream, devacurl one c, angel, set it free, Always see a deva trained stylist for cut and Aveda Institute for color.
  • 2poodles2poodles Curl Connoisseur Posts: 2,485Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I don't live in NYC, but have you looked into local bookstores? They often have book clubs on different topics that meet right in the coffee shop of the bookstores - or they would certainly allow you to post a notice about starting a book club. Other ideas would be to search for local libraries/adult learning centers - there are often book clubs offered through those. Good luck!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2Poodles :flower: Southeast PA
    fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
    Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
    Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file