CurlTalk

Obama thinks Iraq and Afghanistan speak same language!

rosario143rosario143 Posts: 81Registered Users
Fair is fair. While everyone calls on Palins faux-pas we should look at Obama's too!


Some of Obama’s gaffes go beyond simple slips of the tongue and confusion over numbers though and display a lack of knowledge on important issues as was the case when he commented on the war in Afghanistan and the lack of translators: “We only have a certain number of them and if they are all in Iraq, then it’s harder for us to use them in Afghanistan.” As Malkin pointed out, the real reason it’s “harder for us to use them” in Afghanistan is because Iraqis speak Arabic or Kurdish, while Afghanis speak Pashto, Farsi, or other non-Arabic languages. Worse than the lack of knowledge of the languages spoken in other nations is that he lacks an understanding of the threat posed by some of them. Or maybe he doesn’t. It is really a bit confusing. In Portland, Oregon, Obama said of Iran, “They don't pose a serious threat to us.” The following day in Billings, Montana he said: “I’ve made it clear for years that the threat from Iran is grave.” Maybe it depends what the definitions of “grave” and “serious” are. As I said, it is all bit confusing. Maybe that is why so many focus on the crowds at Obama’s events, rather than to what Obama is actually saying to them.

Obama "A whole town of 10,000 people in Kansas got wiped out. Talked to somebody in Governors office"! Who does his fact checking? 12 people died! not 10,000. And if he really spoke to someone in gov's office, he should know that!
/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DtjO8Qc5s1fY" class="Popup

Iran poses no threat to U.S. one day. Then nexxt day says he has always said they pose a great threat! Guess someone had to inform him how dangerous Iran is. But why didn't he know this!

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dvxiyg2tDD7I%26amp%3BNR%3D1" class="Popup

So if you think Palin is not up on things,why is Obama given a pass?
«1

Comments

  • rosario143rosario143 Posts: 81Registered Users
    Oops, Forgot to post the link when I posted the paragraph.Wanted to make sure someone read it in case they ignored the link. Thank you.
  • ursulaursula Posts: 1,461Registered Users
    Oh boy. This is sad to me.

    First of all, I hardly think this faux-pas is equivalent to not knowing that Africa is a continent! Do you? Honestly, do you? Maybe I'm being defensive because I didn't know it, but I sure as heck knew that Africa was a continent, probably by the time I was eight years old.

    Second of all, even if your typical Afghani speaks a non-Arabic language, the Taliban and Al Qaeda are Muslim organizations and guess what language you would need to know if you're a devout Muslim? That's right: Arabic. It's the language of the Quran, which is not translated for prayer. And Al Qaeda, as far as I know, is not made up of all ethnic Afghanis. I can't pretend to know what language(s) would be most useful for infiltrating or intercepting Al Qaeda communications, but I don't think it's ridiculous to think that Arabic would be most useful.

    Plus, the language of Pakistan (which is where the fighting has spilled into) is Urdu, an Arabic-based language.

    So, the article you posted is not quite right.

    If anyone knows more about this than I do--I avoid war news--please feel free to correct me.
    In search of a lost signature...
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users
    “We only have a certain number of them and if they are all in Iraq, then it’s harder for us to use them in Afghanistan.”

    Most interpreters speak and translate more than one language. It's not unheard of that a middle east expert may speak Pashto, Tajik, Arabic, and Farsi.
    My blog - /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fsuburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com%2F" class="Popup
    My FOTKI - /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwhatsnew.fotki.com%2Fsuburbanbushbabe%2F" class="Popup
    comic-p.jpg

    Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • TrenellTrenell Posts: 3,562Registered Users
    “We only have a certain number of them and if they are all in Iraq, then it’s harder for us to use them in Afghanistan.”

    Most interpreters speak and translate more than one language. It's not unheard of that a middle east expert may speak Pashto, Tajik, Arabic, and Farsi.

    Thank you. I just didn't have the strength
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Posts: 17,502Registered Users
    Betwen my deployment and an Arab-American ex-husband, I have some familiarity with Arabic. Arabic and Urdu are in different family groups, but use similar lettering systems. Urdu is closer to the Persian lettering system, but that is based off of Arabic. I can't tell you about Pashto. I can sort of sound out some Urdu if I see it, but I couldn't tell you what it means. I'd like to get back into some Arabic classes. I picked it up quickly enough before, but am losing it due to lack of use.

    Some translators do double duty and learn more than one language. Others don't. I think it was a gaffe, though less obvious than the elementary knowledge that Africa is a continent, or even the Constitutional role of a VP.
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

    Med/Coarse, porous curly.
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Posts: 17,502Registered Users
    “We only have a certain number of them and if they are all in Iraq, then it’s harder for us to use them in Afghanistan.”

    Most interpreters speak and translate more than one language. It's not unheard of that a middle east expert may speak Pashto, Tajik, Arabic, and Farsi.
    True.
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

    Med/Coarse, porous curly.
  • ursulaursula Posts: 1,461Registered Users
    Well, even if it was a gaffe (and I'm still not convinced it was--I say this as someone who was forced to learn Arabic as a child!), it's on the level of gaffe that McCain could have made. No one else could have made the Palin gaffe, or her many other gaffes.

    Seriously, I don't understand this desire to come to her defense, like the whole world is unfairly picking on her. This isn't a schoolyard; it's world politics. I can understand having an ideological position that aligns a person with the McCain-Palin ticket, but why not look to a more accomplished and intelligent representation of your views? Yeah, this time you got screwed and an idiot ended up with the vice-presidential candidacy. Maybe in four years the Republican ticket will look good.
    In search of a lost signature...
  • curlyarcacurlyarca Posts: 8,449Registered Users
    I think some people are so defensive of Palin because they identify with her to the point that Palin=themselves. So to them, it's like you're picking on them, not just Palin.

    "In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer."

    4a, mbl, low porosity, normal thickness, fine hair.
  • rosario143rosario143 Posts: 81Registered Users
    Noone has mentioned Obama having said he SPOKE with the mayors office and 10,000 were killed in A Kansas tornado. That is a lot of misinformation to repeat without being 100% sure. That would have been a graver situation than Katrina.

    Also, if you are running for president of the U.S. why is it one day you say Iran poses no threat to the U.S. and the next you change your mind and say you always thought Iran posed a big threat. You better know by now that Iran is a threat! Did someone have to tell a presidential candidate that fact after his speech?

    I sometimes think women are so much harder on other women then they are to men. had Sarah Palin repeated what Obama had said about Iran not being a threat or go on to decalre a whole town of 10,000 wiped out when the fact is 12 people died I can see the field day some would have with that.
  • mad scientistmad scientist Posts: 3,530Registered Users
    Obama has been on the campaign trail, making speeches, giving interviews etc... for 2 years and in public office for longer than that, and the three "gaffes" you posted are the only ones I ever see circulated. And like others have pointed out, I don't think the translator one is in fact a gaffe. And the "Iran is/isn't a threat" clips are so editted that its hard to glean the context of the statements.

    Palin was on the campaign trail for only 2 months, with no more than a handful of unscripted interviews and you can fill a book with her gaffes. Add to that the fact that she doesn't really have any intellectual/academic credentials that would make you want to give her the benefit of the doubt, and I just don't think you can compare her to Obama.
  • rosario143rosario143 Posts: 81Registered Users
    Obama being on the campaign trail for 2 years should make him a pro. He should also be up on who is a threat to us . This link is better.

    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dew5qP2oPdtQ" class="Popup

    As for that speech declaring 10,000 dead instead of 12, I can imagine the grief Palin would have heard for that one.

    There are lots of Obama videos too that don't show him in a good light. Noone brings them up, But this Palin bashing is getting so ridiculous. let the women be! Excuses for everything Obama does. Put under the microscope and ridiculed when Palin does anything.

    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DhXGgQPX1Gbc%26amp%3Bfeature%3Drelated" class="Popup

    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DomHUsRTYFAU%26amp%3Bfeature%3Drelated" class="Popup

    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dap2Cg_FDRy4%26amp%3Bfeature%3Drelated" class="Popup
  • Myradella3Myradella3 Posts: 2,481Registered Users
    Then let's impeach him! Oh my goodness! Batten down the hatches - grab your babies! Run for the hills....run!!!!!
  • MichelleBFTMichelleBFT Posts: 4,812Registered Users
    I agree that many translators work with more than one language, so that wasn't so much of a gaffe, IMO.

    So far as the town in Kansas... correct me if I'm wrong, but the town was leveled, even if only a dozen people were killed. From the quote you posted here, he didn't say 10k people were dead, just that the town was "wiped out," so again, not so much a gaffe as perhaps some imprecise wording.

    Regarding the Iran thing, here's my take on that. When a person has limited information on a subject, they are going to come to conclusions that aren't necessarily accurate, but are reasonable based on the information that they have. When an intelligent person learns new information, they will consider all of the information they have and, if necessary, form a new opinion based on all relevant information. (A less intelligent person will cling to their original opinion regardless of when new information they receive, which is what we've been dealing with for the last eight years or so.)

    Is that what happened with Obama's opinion of Iran? I don't know. But I'm not willing to condemn him for having an evolving opinion.
    "And politically correct is the worst term, not just because it’s dismissive, but because it narrows down the whole social justice spectrum to this idea that it’s about being polite instead of about dismantling the oppressive social structure of power.
    Fun Fact: When you actively avoid being “PC,” you’re not being forward-thinking or unique. You’re buying into systems of oppression that have existed since before you were even born, and you’re keeping those systems in place."
    Stolen.
  • rosario143rosario143 Posts: 81Registered Users
    I agree that many translators work with more than one language, so that wasn't so much of a gaffe, IMO.

    So far as the town in Kansas... correct me if I'm wrong, but the town was leveled, even if only a dozen people were killed. From the quote you posted here, he didn't say 10k people were dead, just that the town was "wiped out," so again, not so much a gaffe as perhaps some imprecise wording.
    having an evolving opinion.

    He clearly said "This week there was a tragedy in Kansas. 10,000 people DIED. An entire town destroyed."

    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DtjO8Qc5s1fY" class="Popup

    All I'm saying is give Palin a break. Obama is the popular kid who everyone wants perfect. Palin is the unpopular girl everyone wants to tar and feather. When she does or says something wrong everyone is looking to humiliate her. When Obama does it there are a million and one excuses for it.

    Is that fair? No! I'm not a Palin lover. But she is human. Putting up a mannequin of her in a noose like they did in West hollywood along with the public and the media making fun of her everyday is getting old.

    The people have spoken and a new president was elected.

    Let's arm ourselves with information on how the politic works so we know what politicians can and cannot do. Find out who's to blame for situations instead of being told. Understand the role of government. Also learn to investigate the money trail. Because we need to take matters into our own hands. Figure out the long term effects of what will happen when bills are passed.
  • MimsTXMimsTX Posts: 3,482Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    lol, Palin can go on making whatever random comments she wants, as far as I'm concerned. Anyone in any kind of media spotlight that makes silly comments is going to find themselves heckled. unfortunately, that's just kind of the way society works. The people that are 100% behind you will ignore it and laugh it off as a casual mistake, the others who are looking to find fault, will.

    The fact of the matter is though, Obama could answer the questions thrown out at him during numerous interviews, press conferences and debates. Did he make a few missteps with his words? Sure. Will he in the future? Probably. But he answered the question and managed not to look like a fool the rest of the time, which is more than I can say about Palin. I haven't heard or seen a single interview with her where she said something to redeem herself in my eyes.

    Still... it doesn't matter. Hopefully I won't have to worry about her or hear much from her for at least a few years.
    CG/Mod CG (soap bars) since 8/12/08
    CO wash/Cond: Kathymack & Flowermoon Castille soap bars, V05 Chamomile Tea, Suave Ocean Breeze, Biolage Conditioning Balm
    Styling loves: DIFFUSING! CK, KCNT, KCCC, FOTE (on dry hair only), Re:coil, Proclaim gel
    Not sure about: Boots, Tweek, KBB Milk, DMHJ
    HATE: plopping, FOTE on wet hair, BRHG
  • rosario143rosario143 Posts: 81Registered Users
    Myradella3 wrote: »
    Then let's impeach him! Oh my goodness! Batten down the hatches - grab your babies! Run for the hills....run!!!!!

    Never said anything about that. But turnabout is fair play. You cannot tar and feather one candidate while giving the other a pass and excuses for gaffe. You cannot be blind to one person's faults and completely belittle the other person simply because you don't like them.

    Now I am not too happy with those links of Obama either and would not have put them up. But just getting tired of such hate for one person who has a special needs child, hunts and may not be as cool and hip as the rest of us. She lost the election and many are happy. Leave her alone and let her go home with her family.

    Can you imagine what it must be like to be publically humiliated all the time? She is human and I doubt it feels good. But she shows a smile and backbone when you see her and I have to admire her for that.
  • xcptnlxcptnl Posts: 15,678Registered Users
    I agree that many translators work with more than one language, so that wasn't so much of a gaffe, IMO.

    So far as the town in Kansas... correct me if I'm wrong, but the town was leveled, even if only a dozen people were killed. From the quote you posted here, he didn't say 10k people were dead, just that the town was "wiped out," so again, not so much a gaffe as perhaps some imprecise wording.

    Regarding the Iran thing, here's my take on that. When a person has limited information on a subject, they are going to come to conclusions that aren't necessarily accurate, but are reasonable based on the information that they have. When an intelligent person learns new information, they will consider all of the information they have and, if necessary, form a new opinion based on all relevant information. (A less intelligent person will cling to their original opinion regardless of when new information they receive, which is what we've been dealing with for the last eight years or so.)

    Is that what happened with Obama's opinion of Iran? I don't know. But I'm not willing to condemn him for having an evolving opinion.

    That is how I read that too. He is saying the town was leveled - not all them dead.
    Central Massachusetts

    One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

    In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
  • MichelleBFTMichelleBFT Posts: 4,812Registered Users
    rosario143 wrote: »
    I agree that many translators work with more than one language, so that wasn't so much of a gaffe, IMO.

    So far as the town in Kansas... correct me if I'm wrong, but the town was leveled, even if only a dozen people were killed. From the quote you posted here, he didn't say 10k people were dead, just that the town was "wiped out," so again, not so much a gaffe as perhaps some imprecise wording.
    having an evolving opinion.

    He clearly said "This week there was a tragedy in Kansas. 10,000 people DIED. An entire town destroyed."

    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DtjO8Qc5s1fY" class="Popup

    All I'm saying is give Palin a break. Obama is the popular kid who everyone wants perfect. Palin is the unpopular girl everyone wants to tar and feather. When she does or says something wrong everyone is looking to humiliate her. When Obama does it there are a million and one excuses for it.

    Is that fair? No! I'm not a Palin lover. But she is human. Putting up a mannequin of her in a noose like they did in West hollywood along with the public and the media making fun of her everyday is getting old.

    The people have spoken and a new president was elected.

    Let's arm ourselves with information on how the politic works so we know what politicians can and cannot do. Find out who's to blame for situations instead of being told. Understand the role of government. Also learn to investigate the money trail. Because we need to take matters into our own hands. Figure out the long term effects of what will happen when bills are passed.


    I can't watch youtube videos on this computer. So, if someone I trust (not to say you're untrustworthy, but I don't know you at all) has watched the video and can relay to me what he said, and he did in fact say 10k people had died, well, then, yeah, he screwed it up. Still not in the ballpark of someone not knowing Africa is a continent and not being able to name a single newspaper one reads. Flat out.
    "And politically correct is the worst term, not just because it’s dismissive, but because it narrows down the whole social justice spectrum to this idea that it’s about being polite instead of about dismantling the oppressive social structure of power.
    Fun Fact: When you actively avoid being “PC,” you’re not being forward-thinking or unique. You’re buying into systems of oppression that have existed since before you were even born, and you’re keeping those systems in place."
    Stolen.
  • Myradella3Myradella3 Posts: 2,481Registered Users
    rosario143 wrote: »
    Myradella3 wrote: »
    Then let's impeach him! Oh my goodness! Batten down the hatches - grab your babies! Run for the hills....run!!!!!

    Never said anything about that. But turnabout is fair play. You cannot tar and feather one candidate while giving the other a pass and excuses for gaffe. You cannot be blind to one person's faults and completely belittle the other person simply because you don't like them.

    Now I am not too happy with those links of Obama either and would not have put them up. But just getting tired of such hate for one person who has a special needs child, hunts and may not be as cool and hip as the rest of us. She lost the election and many are happy. Leave her alone and let her go home with her family.

    Can you imagine what it must be like to be publically humiliated all the time? She is human and I doubt it feels good. But she shows a smile and backbone when you see her and I have to admire her for that.

    Have you done a search on these boards to see that the 57-state issue was discussed? I think there was a 10-page thread just on someone sharing her disgust with Obama (Notegal?). He's been criticized. But you know what? He won. He's the President-elect of the United States of America.

    PS: With Palin, from whom are the negative comments coming lately?
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,258Registered Users
    rosario143 wrote: »
    [ But just getting tired of such hate for one person who has a special needs child, hunts and may not be as cool and hip as the rest of us. She lost the election and many are happy. Leave her alone and let her go home with her family.

    Can you imagine what it must be like to be publically humiliated all the time? She is human and I doubt it feels good. But she shows a smile and backbone when you see her and I have to admire her for that.


    I'd have more sympathy for her if she hadn't been such a hate-stirrer when she was on the stump. She dealt in hate, so she shouldn't be surprised when it comes back at her.
  • NYCurlyGirlyNYCurlyGirly Posts: 1,012Registered Users
    Rosario, I appreciate your post but don't think you can win. Obama has a free pass for the next 4 years and will never be held accountable for anything he says or does from now on. Sadly, being a media darling means you don't have to defend words or actions.
    "Yo, James, i'm really happy for you, i'm gonna let you finish killing Bella in a minute, but Demetri was one of the best Trackers of ALL time!"

    www.myspace.com/mimichica
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,258Registered Users
    Rosario, I appreciate your post but don't think you can win. Obama has a free pass for the next 4 years and will never be held accountable for anything he says or does from now on. Sadly, being a media darling means you don't have to defend words or actions.


    Oh the martyr...

    Obama doesn't have a free pass. The press will hold his feet to the fire, and, in fact, they already are, with his appointment of Rahm Emmanuel for chief of staff.
  • rosario143rosario143 Posts: 81Registered Users
    Thinking Iran is not a threat a threat and running for president of the U.S. is VERY important. Better be up on foreign policies and who our enemy are if you are to be commander in chief.

    Also in one link I provided Obama clearly states on film his uncle liberated a Nazi concentration camp. Americans did not go into Aushwich. Russia did. Should he not know world history?

    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DhXGgQPX1Gbc%26amp%3Bfeature%3Drelated" class="Popup


    His parents met in Salma Alabama at a march and this is why he was born. But Samla happened in 1965. Obama was born in 61. Should he not know that?

    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3F" class="Popup
    v=95KC7CF5B9E

    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DDdYByptC8mY" class="Popup
  • ursulaursula Posts: 1,461Registered Users
    Um, it's Selma, Alabama, not Salma (as in Hayek).
    In search of a lost signature...
  • ursulaursula Posts: 1,461Registered Users
    Also, isn't deciding whether a country is a threat a matter of opinion or policy? It's not a fact, like the fact that Africa is a continent.
    In search of a lost signature...
  • rosario143rosario143 Posts: 81Registered Users
    ursula wrote: »
    Um, it's Selma, Alabama, not Salma (as in Hayek).

    Oops,sorry for the misspell. But at least it's not as bad as going there and talking about how my parents met there and I was born as a result of that mach . But march was 1965 and he was born in 1961!

    But again he gets a pass and the only thing focussed on is I misspelled. Ok.
  • NYCurlyGirlyNYCurlyGirly Posts: 1,012Registered Users
    Rosario, I appreciate your post but don't think you can win. Obama has a free pass for the next 4 years and will never be held accountable for anything he says or does from now on. Sadly, being a media darling means you don't have to defend words or actions.


    Oh the martyr...

    Obama doesn't have a free pass. The press will hold his feet to the fire, and, in fact, they already are, with his appointment of Rahm Emmanuel for chief of staff.

    Oh I hope you are right!! I hadn't seen enough of the
    Rham stuff yet to come to that conclusion but I hope i'm proven wrong.
    "Yo, James, i'm really happy for you, i'm gonna let you finish killing Bella in a minute, but Demetri was one of the best Trackers of ALL time!"

    www.myspace.com/mimichica
  • rosario143rosario143 Posts: 81Registered Users
    ursula wrote: »
    Also, isn't deciding whether a country is a threat a matter of opinion or policy? It's not a fact, like the fact that Africa is a continent.

    Fact: Americans did not go to Aushwich to rescue people in concentration camps.

    Fact: Selma march happened in 1965 not 1961.

    Should Obama not have known these facts before he spoke about them?
  • TrenellTrenell Posts: 3,562Registered Users
    I listened to the speech. We mentioned many events rangin from the 50's to the 60's. Creating a time of change. So when he said "I am here b/c of Selma" I didn't take it as "I was concieved" I took it as people fought for his right to make it to the level he is today.
«1

Leave a Comment