'Tis the season recipes

YomYom Posts: 1,146Registered Users Curl Novice
Do any of you have some holiday recipes to share?

I'm looking for new recipes..
3A/B-ish BSL thick hair
Modified CG since 08/10/2007
http://public.fotki.com/Curly-Y/ (updated september 6)
pw: currrly

Comments

• whatsercurlwhatsercurl Posts: 4,049Registered Users
    What kind of recipes? Sweets or savouries?
    Current Products: CJ Products: CF, DF, CT, SG, AFG, CIAB AND CK is back!
    Current Experiment: S&C by D

Curl Fix and Daily Fix are my HGs :love4:

Sulphate and cone free since July 2007

wavy/curly fine texture/medium porosity/medium-low density

http://public.fotki.com/whatsercurl/

PW: wavycurly

Seek not to change the world. Rather seek to change your mind about the world.
  • YomYom Posts: 1,146Registered Users Curl Novice
    everything that screams holiday food:wink:
    3A/B-ish BSL thick hair
  • curlyjenn10curlyjenn10 Posts: 2,034Registered Users
    I make "puppy chow" and give it to friends in Christmas tins.

1 stick butter
    1 cup peanut butter
    1 cup chocolate chips (semisweet work best)
    5 cups corn chex (not sure on the amount, I usually eyeball it)
    Powdered sugar
    Grocery bag (check for holes!)

1. Pour chex into a large bowl. Add a little powdered sugar to the grocery bag.

2. Place the the stick of butter in a medium-sized pot and heat on stove until it melts. I usually stire pretty much constantly.

2. When the butter is melted, add the cup of chocolate chips. Stir constantly until melted.

3. Add peanut butter and stir. This thickens it up a bit, but it should look pretty smooth.

4. Slowly pour mixture over the chex, then stir and make sure it's spread evenly. If there's a lot of liquid chocolate left over, add some more chex.

5. This seems ridiculous, but it works. I pour the chex mixture into the grocery bag, add some more powdered sugar, and tie closed with a simple knot. Then, with one hand on the knot to make sure it's closed and one on the bottom of the bag, I flip the bag over and start shaking. This spreads the sugar evenly. Add more sugar if needed.

I guess I should put out a warning with this - it's very addicting!
    CG since 6/15/08!
    Medium-Fine/Normal Porosity

http://collegecurly.blogspot.com/
  • whatsercurlwhatsercurl Posts: 4,049Registered Users
    My best friend and I used to make chocolates every year - peanut butter cups, chocolate truffles, almond and coconut flavoured and M&M bark. (She moved 4 hrs away so we probably won't this year.)

The recipe has been altered so many times we do it pretty much by feel now. Almond and coconut are the easiest though.

A 5 lb bag of icing sugar, 1 (or maybe 2) cans of Borden's, 1/2 lb softened butter, 1/2 cup of ground almonds or coconut, then almond or coconut extract to taste. It is quite a chore to mix it. And usually end up using hands to mix it all the way through.

We have tons of molds. We melt chocolate disks in a double boiler than use a spoon and stippling brush to work it into the mold. We put it in the freezer to set after coating the inside of the mold. Then put a little bit of filling, more melted chocolate on the top and back into the freezer.

It's time consuming but we have a lot of fun doing quality checks. We start fairly early in the day by late afternoon, we break out the martinis and the real hilarity begins.
    Current Products: CJ Products: CF, DF, CT, SG, AFG, CIAB AND CK is back!
    Current Experiment: S&C by D

Curl Fix and Daily Fix are my HGs :love4:

Sulphate and cone free since July 2007

wavy/curly fine texture/medium porosity/medium-low density

http://public.fotki.com/whatsercurl/

PW: wavycurly

Seek not to change the world. Rather seek to change your mind about the world.
  • Koukla72Koukla72 Posts: 1,680Registered Users
    I have some new ones I'm planning to try out, now that I actually have a decent kitchen since I moved. Are you looking for recipes that have been tested out already, or just something that sounds yummy to experiment with?
  • roseannadanaroseannadana Posts: 5,633Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Too easy....

CARAMEL-PECAN-PRETZEL CANDIES
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*

INGREDIENTS:
    1 package Snyder Mini Pretzels (or small squares)
    1 13-oz. package Rolo Candies (exactly 63 candies)
    1 package Pecan Halves

DIRECTIONS:
    Preheat oven to 250 Degrees. Cover a cookie sheet with
    aluminum foil and place pretzels individually to form
    one layer only. Place one Rolo Candy on top of each pretzel.
    Bake at 250 degrees for 4 minutes or until the candies
    softened. Immediately remove from the oven and quickly
    place a pecan half on top of a candy and push down to
    squish the chocolate into the pretzel and flatten out.
    Cool for 20 minutes, then place uncovered in refrigerator
    for about 20 minutes to set. Transfer to a decorative container

I was born to be a pessimist. My blood type is B Negative.
  • BotticelliBabeBotticelliBabe Posts: 1,574Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Oooh that caramel pecan pretzel one looks SOO good! I love sweet and salty together. I'll be making those for sure this year!

I have a bunch, but there's too much for me to put every recipe here for you. I'll list the titles, and you just let me know if any of them sounds like something you'd want, and then I'll post the recipe for you. :) The ones with an asterisk are ones my family insists I make every year, no exceptions! *lol*

*Browned Butter Spritz Cookies
    *Candied Fruit Bars
    Chocolate Buttercream Bars
    Chocolate Hazelnut Pizzelle
    *Chocolate Mint Filled Puffs
    Chocolate Mint Fudge
    Creme de Menthe Truffles
    Eggnog Cookie Sandwiches
    *Espresso Truffles
    *Five Minute Caramel Nut Fudge
    Fresh Mint Truffles
    Irish Coffee Truffles
    Krumkake
    Perfect Chocolate Truffles
    Red & White Peppermint Cookies
    Shortbread Triangles

And yes, we do love our truffles around here! *lol*

I have tons more recipes, but these are some of the ones we've really liked. I usually make at least half a dozen or more different kinds of cookies, candies, and bars to give away as gifts for the holidays, so every year I make a few new ones, and some make the cut for following years. ;)
    BB

35ncsigpic-vi.jpg
    http://www.BotticelliBotanicals.etsy.com
    BSL/Mid Back, thick 3a/b

Botticelli Botanicals Meringue
    Botticelli Botanicals Smoothie
    Botticelli Botanicals Styling Mudd w/ double avocado oil and double agave
    Botticelli Botanicals Lime in the Coconut Butter
  • YomYom Posts: 1,146Registered Users Curl Novice
    BB, I'd like to know the recipes for these delicious sounding dishes.

Krumkake
    Shortbread Triangles

TIA!
    3A/B-ish BSL thick hair
  • nynaeve77nynaeve77 Posts: 7,135Registered Users Curl Novice
    Where do you guys find molds for truffles? I have a really good truffle recipe, but I can't seem to find molds so I have to roll them by hand and they are sooo not pretty...they taste awesome but look really bad.
    "Maybe Lucy's right. Of all the Charlie Browns in the world, you're the Charlie Browniest."--Linus, A Charlie Brown Christmas

My fotki: http://public.fotki.com/nynaeve77/
    Password: orphanannie
    Yom wrote: »
    BB, I'd like to know the recipes for these delicious sounding dishes.

Krumkake
    Shortbread Triangles

TIA!

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner - I totally forgot to check this thread after the first couple of days after I posted!! Bad BB...

Anyway, here are the recipes you requested (and yes, this is going to be a long post *lol*) HA!!! It said my post was too long! I'll split it into two for you.

Chocolate Mint Filled Puffs

1 package frozen puff pastry
    1 12oz package any chocolate chips (semisweet, white, dark, or milk)
    1 Tbsp shortening or lard
    1 8oz pkg cream cheese, softened
    1 stick butter, softened (1/2 cup)
    2 cups confectioner's sugar
    2 Tbsp peppermint extract
    5-10 drops green food coloring

Thaw pastry according to package directions. Unfold pastry on a large cutting board dusted very lightly with cocoa powder (if necessary, and only to keep from sticking). Using a fluted wheel (or sharp knife), cut pastry into small squares, about 1 1/2 inches square. Place pastry squares onto baking sheet (they won't spread much at all) and bake according to package directions.

Beat cream cheese and butter until well blended, sift confectioner's sugar in and blend well. Add peppermint extract and food coloring and mix well until filling is an even green color. Set aside.

Melt chocolate chips and shortening/lard over a double boiler until smooth and well mixed. Take each puff, one by one, dipping the bottom into the chocolate and then placing them on a large sheet of waxed or parchment paper until firm. Reserve any remaining melted chocolate, keeping it warm and liquid. Using a small serrated knife, cut each puff in half like a sandwich (they should almost fall in half), keeping each pair together. Spread or pipe mint filling evenly into middles of puff cookies, placing tops firmly back in place. I put the mint filling in a quart sized zipper bag and cut one corner off, and it pipes really smoothly, plus is doesn’t leak out of the bag on the backside. If you have any remaining chocolate, you can drizzle it over the tops of finished puffs, or if you have none, you can dust the tops with cocoa powder or powdered sugar (use a small screen strainer). Makes a LOT!

Five-minute Caramel Nut Fudge

1 12oz bag caramel & chocolate swirled baking chips
    1 12oz bag white chocolate baking chips
    1 14oz can sweetened condensed milk
    1 Tbsp vanilla extract
    1 4 oz bag pecan chips (Fischer’s is a good brand)
    1/2 lb (1 cup) chocolate candy coating (I prefer Wilton's) or white candy coating, or 1/4 lb (1/2 cup) of each

Line an 8x8 pan with waxed paper, making sure it comes well up the sides of the pan. In a large saucepan, melt the first three ingredients over low heat until smooth. DO NOT BOIL. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Stir in nuts, then pour into prepared pan and chill until set - about 45 min to 1 hour.
    Cut into small squares and separate slightly, then melt candy coating until it reaches drizzling consistency, then place in a small resealable bag and snip just the corner off. Drizzle over fudge in a diagonal zigzag and allow to cool until set. Makes about 2 lbs.

**If you want to use both white and chocolate candy coating, just drizzle the chocolate sparsely across one diagonal, then drizzle the white in the opposite direction. Doing this makes it taste like Turtle fudge! Yummy!

VARIATIONS: You can also make this as white chocolate fudge, with or without nuts. Just use all white chocolate chips (with cocoa butter) and 1 tsp of vanilla with one can sweetened condensed milk, and drizzle with red and green candy melts (Wilton’s makes these, and they are available at Wal Mart in the craft department, or Michael’s) once the fudge is cooled and firm. Or, stir in about a dozen crushed Oreos and make cookies and cream fudge. Butterscotch is also great - just use all butterscotch chips instead of white chocolate or swirls. Get creative - this is a very versatile recipe!

**TRICK - You can make any fudge in a wreath shape for the holidays! Just use a straight-sided round pan (any size, as long as the sides are straight), and place a clean soup can, either greased or wrapped in waxed paper, smack-dab in the middle of the pan. When cool and set, remove the can and decorate however you like. Fresh whole rosemary sprigs and fresh cranberries, moistened and rolled in sugar, look great as decoration, and won't get your fudge gooey or change the taste.

Krumkake

Another use for the pizzelle iron, if you wish! Cookies are a special part of every Scandinavian Christmas celebration (we live in a very Danish/Norwegian area). Tradition dictates that a good hostess makes at least seven types of cookies in preparation for the holidays, and krumkake is one of them.

½ cup butter
    3 eggs
    ½ cup sugar
    ½ cup all-purpose flour
    1 tsp vanilla or
    ½ tsp almond extract
    dash ground cinnamon or nutmeg
    Optional:
    sweetened whipping cream (recipe follows)
    ground cinnamon

Melt butter in a small saucepan, cool slightly. Beat eggs in a medium bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed for 1 minute. Add sugar, beat about 3 minutes or until sugar is almost dissolved, scraping side of bowl occasionally. Stir in butter. Add in flour, vanilla or almond extract, and a dash of cinnamon or nutmeg, stirring just until mixture is smooth.

Heat a non-electric krumkake iron on the range top over medium-low heat (or electric pizzelle or krumkake iron according to manufacturer’s directions). Lightly grease grid no matter which cooking method you choose. Place a rounded teaspoon of batter on hot cooking grid (after the first few, you’ll know how much you need to fill out the design on the grid without going over), and close gently but firmly. Cook over medium-low heat for about 30 seconds (of if using an electric iron, cook according to manufacturer’s directions). Carefully open iron. Loosen cookie from grid with a narrow spatula and invert onto a wire rack. Immediately roll the cookie around a metal cone or cylinder. Allow to cool until cookie holds shape by itself. Reheat the iron and continue with remaining batter. Completely cool rolled cookies on wire racks.

If desired, melt 6-8 oz of candy coating (vanilla or chocolate) in microwave on 50% power for 1-2 minutes or until coating is melted and smooth, stirring twice. Dip one end (the wide end if your cookies are cone-shaped) of each cookie into the coating, tapping gently on the rim and allowing the excess coating to drip back into the bowl. Place dipped cookies on waxed paper and allow coating to set (about 30 minutes).

Up to 1 hour before serving and if desired, fill cookies with sweetened whipped cream and sprinkle with cinnamon. Makes about 40.

Sweetened Whipped Cream:
    Beat 2 cups cold whipping cream and ¼ cup sugar in a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed until stiff peaks form. Makes about 4 cups.

To store, place unfilled cookies in layers separated by waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature for 3 days, or freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw cookies, if frozen, before filling with sweetened whipped cream (if desired).
    BB

35ncsigpic-vi.jpg
    BSL/Mid Back, thick 3a/b

I think this one comes from Martha Stewart, thus the "friendly recommendations". We can't get those uber fancy chocolates here, but I just use the best quality stuff I can find, and they turn out wonderfully.

Ingredients
    Makes about 10 dozen

• 24 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped, preferably Valrhona Manjari
    • 8 ounces milk chocolate, finely chopped, preferably Valrhona 42 percent
    • 1 1/3 cups heavy cream (not ultra-pasteurized)
    • 1 vanilla bean, scraped
    • 11 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
    • 2 cups cocoa powder (not Dutch processed), preferably Valrhona, for rolling

Directions
    1. Line a 13-by-9 1/2-inch rimmed baking sheet with plastic wrap; set aside.

2. In a heatproof bowl, set over (but not touching) simmering water, melt 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate and milk chocolate together until it reaches 120 degrees.

3. Place cream, vanilla bean, and seeds in a small saucepan over medium heat; heat until cream just comes to a boil. Remove from heat. Let cream mixture cool until reaches 120 degrees; remove vanilla bean and discard.

4. Remove chocolate mixture from heat and add to cream mixture. Using a heatproof spatula, mix together, starting from the center of the saucepan and working your way to the outer edges until mixture is emulsified. Add butter and mix with an immersion blender until well combined. Pour mixture into prepared baking sheet, evenly spreading mixture with an offset spatula; cover with plastic wrap, pressing down gently on chocolate mixture to prevent a skin from forming. Refrigerate at least 2 hours, and up to overnight.

5. Line the back of another 13-by-9 1/2-inch baking sheet with parchment paper. Uncover chocolate and invert onto parchment paper; remove second piece of plastic wrap. Using a pizza cutter or sharp knife, and a steel ruler as a guide, cut chocolate into 1-inch squares.

6. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside. Roll each square of chocolate between your hands to form a smooth ball. Transfer chocolate balls to baking sheet; refrigerate for 1 hour.

7. Melt remaining 16 ounces bittersweet chocolate in a heatproof bowl, set over (but not touching) simmering water. Place cocoa powder in a shallow dish. Place some of the melted chocolate in the palm of your hand and roll a chocolate ball in the melted chocolate to coat, then roll in cocoa powder. Repeat process with remaining chocolate balls. Transfer truffles to an airtight container, stacking truffles no more than 2 to 3 inches high, and refrigerate up to 2 weeks. Bring truffles to room temperature just before serving.

Shortbread Triangles

2 cups powdered sugar
    2 cups butter, softened
    2 egg yolks
    4 cups all purpose flour
    1 cup cornstarch

In large bowl, combine powdered sugar and butter; beat until light and fluffy. Add egg yolks; blend well. Add flour and cornstarch; mix well. Divide dough in half. Shape each half into roll 12 inches long and 1 1/2 inches in diameter. Wrap in plastic wrap. Press sides of roll with palm of hand to make 3 even sides, forming triangular shape log. Press roll against countertop to smooth and flatten sides. Refrigerate until firm.

Heat oven to 350F. Cut dough into 1/4-inch slices. Place on ungreased cookie sheets. Bake for 8-13 minutes or until LIGHTLY browned and set. #### tops of cookies with fork; remove from cookie sheets. Cool completely

Yield: 4 dozen cookies

NOTE: when I make these little yummies, I lay them out to cool on waxed paper, as closesly packed together as possible. When all of the cookies are done, I melt white chocolate chips (I've also bought the red/white and green/white swirl chips and separated them to have a red/white bowlful and a green/white bowlful) in the microwave and drizzle/fling the melted chocolate diagonally back and forth over the entire batch. Voila! In about 30 seconds you have a whole batch of cookies beautifully and artistically decorated!! They tase great with a cup of hot tea or coffee!! (Can you tell how much I looooooooooooooooooove these cookies?)

There! And if you want any others, don't be afraid to ask - you can't be greedy when it comes to recipes! :love10:
    BB

35ncsigpic-vi.jpg
    BSL/Mid Back, thick 3a/b

nynaeve77 wrote: »
    Where do you guys find molds for truffles? I have a really good truffle recipe, but I can't seem to find molds so I have to roll them by hand and they are sooo not pretty...they taste awesome but look really bad.

I roll my truffles by hand, too - just make sure the filling is as cold as it can be and still hold it's shape without crumbling. You can also get tiny cookie dough scoops that work great for truffles, and that makes all of your truffles nearly equal size. I've used a melon baller in the past just to get all of the truffles uniform, and then finished rolling by hand. If your hands tend to be warm and the truffle filling melts easily, try a pair of latex or nitrile gloves - they will help keep the filling at the proper temperature.

Last ditch resort, you could always scoop the filling into a pastry bag fitted with a large round tip, or a ziplock bag and snip off one corner, then just pipe the filling into equally sized mounds and chill before rolling or dipping.

No - I've never made truffles before...why do you ask? :toothy3: :laughing5:
    BB

35ncsigpic-vi.jpg
    BSL/Mid Back, thick 3a/b

• cajuncurlscajuncurls Posts: 270Registered Users
    Down here in Louisiana we don't make stuffing, we make "dirty rice." I usually make a base and use it for both dirty rice and cornbread dressing. This is not "authentic" (meaning I worked all day grinding the meat like my mom does), but it's so good my kids prefer it to the labor-intensive kind. They always request both, not just one! Depending on where you live you may have trouble locating the dressing mix - basically it's just ground liver, gizzards, etc., but you can substitute ground chuck instead.

BASE:
    1 container dressing mix (or 1 pound ground chuck or turkey)
    1 pound ground chuck
    1 can beef broth (Campbells works best, I've found)
    1 can cream of chicken soup
    1 can cream of mushroom soup
    1 onion, chopped fine
    2 ribs celery, chopped fine
    1/2 bell pepper, chopped fine

Brown meat, add rest of ingredients and simmer for 30-40 minutes or until veggies are tender.
    Meanwhile, cook 3 cups rice and/or 1 package cornbread (from a mix, of course!)
    Place rice in deep mixing bowl and place crumbled up cornbread in another. Mix half of mixture in each, season with salt, cayenne pepper as desired.
    May seem a little runny at first, but rice and cornbread will soak up the mixture. Can be made ahead and refrigerated overnight.
    Did you do it for love? Did you do it for money? Did you do it for spite? Did you think you had to, honey?
    - Eagles

age.png

age.png
  • MeganMegan Posts: 335Registered Users
    My favorite holiday candy is "Martha Washington" chocolates.
    http://candy.about.com/od/trufflerecipes/r/mwashingtons.htm

I use a sheet of gulf wax in my chocolate. It helps it stick better & makes it prettier. This is sooooooooo good! Even if you don't really care for coconut, the center is more creamy than flaky. Give it a try!
  • curlyjenn10curlyjenn10 Posts: 2,034Registered Users
    I made Christmas cut-out sugar cookies last night that turned out amazing so I thought I'd share! I kept the dough in the fridge for about half an hour and then they were in the freezer for maybe five minutes. Still turned out fine! I also halved the frosting recipe and added some extra vanilla extract. I divided that batch to do red, green, and white frosting.

Sugar Cookies:

INGREDIENTS

4 cups sifted all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
    2 cups granulated sugar
    2 large eggs
    2 teaspoons vanilla extract

DIRECTIONS

1. Sift flour, baking powder, and salt into a bowl.

2. Put butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix on medium speed until pale and fluffy. Mix in eggs and vanilla. Reduce speed to low. Gradually mix in flour mixture. Divide dough in half; flatten each half into a disk. Wrap each in plastic. Refrigerate until firm, at least 1 hour or overnight.

3. Preheat oven to 325 degrees with racks in upper and lower thirds. Let one disk of dough stand at room temperature just until soft enough to roll, about 10 minutes. Roll out dough on a lightly floured work surface to just under 1/4 inch thick, adding more flour as needed to keep dough from sticking. Cut out cookies with a 4-to-5-inch cookie cutter, transferring shapes to parchment paper-lined baking sheets as you work. Roll out scraps, and repeat. Repeat with remaining disk of dough. Chill cookies in freezer until very firm, about 15 minutes.

4. Bake, switching positions of sheets and rotating halfway through, until edges turn golden, 15 to 18 minutes. Let cool on sheets on wire racks. Decorate as desired.

Frosting:

INGREDIENTS
    • 4 cups confectioners' sugar
    • 1/2 cup shortening
    • 5 tablespoons milk
    • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    • food coloring
    DIRECTIONS
    1. In a large bowl, cream together the confectioners' sugar and shortening until smooth. Gradually mix in the milk and vanilla with an electric mixer until smooth and stiff, about 5 minutes. Color with food coloring if desired.
    CG since 6/15/08!
    Medium-Fine/Normal Porosity

http://collegecurly.blogspot.com/

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file