Growing out a TWA

ladymissdivaladymissdiva Posts: 2Registered Users
Hi all,

Question: what is the best way to grow out a TWA and still keep my hair
looking neat?

I realize this may be a dumb question, but I've been natural for over a year and whenever I go to the barber or a salon I'm always told to either cut my hair super low or get a relaxer unless I want to look sloppy and unprofessional. Even when I say "just trim it a little," the stylists chop my hair so short that it seems like it never grows! :evil:

Right now I'm wearing my hair super short (about 1/2 inch) but I would
really love to try different styles like twists, coils, rod sets, etc.
How did you all wear your hair while growing it out? Also, how do you
handle split ends in natural hair?

Thanks,

San
Natural 4A

Comments

• msjokermsjoker Posts: 1,658Registered Users
    Maybe you can try doing little twists? For split ends in my hair, I just cut them, because if I don't, it'll travel up my hair shaft.
    "It moisturizes my situation... preserves my sexy."
  • jazzijenni81jazzijenni81 Posts: 529Registered Users
    hi missdiva,

im the twa queen, purposely wearing it since late 04! the best way to grow it out is to just let it grow. when it gets to the akward mullet stage, shrinkage is your friend b/c it hides the shape. also, layers are a great option, they help to blend the hair.

as far as split ends, a simple dusting will keep them in order, not the clippers. you'll never gain length as long as clippers are being used. you'll have to wait maybe 1/2 inch more to try styles. also, keeping your hair lined will keep it neat, without the need for shaping the actual hair. not a perm or fade, whoever told you that needs a ticket, fast! :shock:

the twa is a gorgeous look and confidence makes it even more stunning.

hth helps
    loose 4a, silky meets cottony
    routine: co-wash, add leave in or plain water, shake & go
    staples: elucence poo & conditioners, V05 & suave naturals, jessicurl too shea, AO.
  • Curlee QCurlee Q Posts: 523Registered Users
    hi missdiva,

im the twa queen, purposely wearing it since late 04! the best way to grow it out is to just let it grow. when it gets to the akward mullet stage, shrinkage is your friend b/c it hides the shape. also, layers are a great option, they help to blend the hair.

as far as split ends, a simple dusting will keep them in order, not the clippers. you'll never gain length as long as clippers are being used. you'll have to wait maybe 1/2 inch more to try styles. also, keeping your hair lined will keep it neat, without the need for shaping the actual hair. not a perm or fade, whoever told you that needs a ticket, fast! :shock:

the twa is a gorgeous look and confidence makes it even more stunning.

hth helps[/quote

I agree fully, just let it grow. I started off from very short hair from my BC and just let it do its thing. However as it grows out you can play with accessories. Headbands at this point have been a saviour because my hair was doing some funky stuff in the front
    http://www.youtube.com/Kittykat1374

natural since 6/05
  • CurlilocsCurlilocs Posts: 821Registered Users
    I agree with the other posters, it's best to just let your hair do it's thing. I plan to get regular trims, but that phase where it's not long enough to do this and too short to do that is inevitable! You just have to roll with it, and eventually you'll be making cute little pony puffs! :)
    Free your Mind and your Hair will Follow :)
    Curli's pics
    album pw: bangz
  • ladymissdivaladymissdiva Posts: 2Registered Users
    Thanks for all the advice ladies!! I think my stylist is just a little too fond of the clippers :D I'm going to try comb coils for a while. I'll let you all know how it goes.

Thanks again
    Natural 4A
  • LadyLibra1982LadyLibra1982 Posts: 203Registered Users
    Hi all,
    ... I've been natural for over a year and whenever I go to the barber or a salon I'm always told to either cut my hair super low or get a relaxer unless I want to look sloppy and unprofessional. Even when I say "just trim it a little," the stylists chop my hair so short that it seems like it never grows! :evil:

that's interesting... because i just got a job and i have a pretty decent length of hair. and i may add, it doesn't look sloppy or unprofessional, even though i have yet to set foot in a salon. :wink:

i think it's a common misconception, that natural hair isn't good enough for the workplace. my interview was Friday and i was hired on the spot... in fact i'm at work right now on a lunch break. :D and i am the receptionist... so i'm the first person everyone sees when they come in. i'm sure if they thought my hair would be an issue, they would've said something! :lol:

and i'm not fond of stylists who don't respect their client's wishes. i say if she keeps cutting too much of your hair, kick her to the curb and find someone else! or maybe you're just getting it cut too often... how often do you go? unless you're hair is really prone to split ends, you can probably space your trims out over a longer period of time.

okay that's all my advice... i need to eat! :wink:
    Lady Libra
    3c/4a???
    i stick with the description "OS thready thick"

my curly fro now is at collarbone when straightened.... basically the length i had when i started transitioning! hooray for growth!!! =)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file