CurlTalk

Repeat, but serious..

CaribbiAmphibbiCaribbiAmphibbi Posts: 23Registered Users
Ladies, I recently got my hair blown straight. Pre blowdrying, the curls were pretty and nicely wound. Now, they're a multiple straight patches. Is there anything that I can do?
Black American, 3b-3c textured hair. Relaxer free for 2 YEARS!

Comments

  • eccentric_kurlzeccentric_kurlz Posts: 4,144Registered Users
    You may *possibly* have some heat damage. Give your hair some time to recoup before getting too worried. Sometimes it takes a few weeks for your hair to go back to normal.

    The only thing I can recommend is doing weekly deep treatments until you hair appears to go back to normal again.

    HTH
    A wonderful mix of coils, curls, corkscrews, and kinks.

    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fs211.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fbb133%2Fshyygirl_2007%2F" class="Popup
    PW: curlyhair

    I have a blog now. Follow meeeee! :)

    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fnaturalurbanista.blogspot.com%2F" class="Popup

    "You see, when it comes to language competence, a true patriot must hit that sweet spot between "job-stealing immigrant" and "liberal elitist." ~Eilonwy

    Wanna have access to the top names in fashion and luxury at up to 70% off retail? Sure you do. /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Ftinyurl.com%2F3yxneol" class="Popup

    DC metro area
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,495Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Or it could be permanent. I know one person on this board who had to do the BC because her flat ironed pieces simply would not revert.

    I would love to do a blow out every once in a while...but I don't want to risk damage, now that my hair is finally in good condition.

    But just wait it out and see. :wink:

  • KindredGhost1983KindredGhost1983 Posts: 1,187Registered Users
    It's not possible to straighten your hair with a blow dryer and it never returning to curly is it?

    My sister did it and her hair didnt go back to being curly for like 4 days. It scared her to death, and she never flat ironed or blow dryed her hair again
    Curlies add me on myspace!

    www.myspace.com/agilruth
  • AmnerisAmneris Posts: 15,117Registered Users
    Wow, this has never in my life happened to me with a blowdryer, flat iron or hot comb! How is that possible?????

    I would just condition the heck out of your hair and avoid all heat.
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali


    .png


    534Pm5.png





  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,495Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Amneris wrote:
    Wow, this has never in my life happened to me with a blowdryer, flat iron or hot comb! How is that possible?????

    I would just condition the heck out of your hair and avoid all heat.

    It just gets fried/damaged. Hair is just protein, etc. It's like a wool sweater, really. If you hold an iron to a wool sweater for long enough, it will burn, and nothing you can do at that point will restore it to its previous condition.

  • st. louis bluest. louis blue Posts: 404Registered Users
    Wool sweater, indeed. In fact, as Lorraine would say, it's your finest wool sweater!

    Seriously, though, I vote DT, rinse and repeat.
  • eccentric_kurlzeccentric_kurlz Posts: 4,144Registered Users
    Amneris wrote:
    Wow, this has never in my life happened to me with a blowdryer, flat iron or hot comb! How is that possible?????

    I would just condition the heck out of your hair and avoid all heat.

    It just gets fried/damaged. Hair is just protein, etc. It's like a wool sweater, really. If you hold an iron to a wool sweater for long enough, it will burn, and nothing you can do at that point will restore it to its previous condition.

    Yup. If an excessive amount of heat is used, you can very well damage it to the point where it permanently straightens(and breaks off).

    Luckily, I haven't had issues with permanent straight pieces.

    CaribbiAmphibbi, hopefully your hair isn't permanently damaged. Just do the DT's and see what happens.

    Good luck!
    A wonderful mix of coils, curls, corkscrews, and kinks.

    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fs211.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fbb133%2Fshyygirl_2007%2F" class="Popup
    PW: curlyhair

    I have a blog now. Follow meeeee! :)

    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fnaturalurbanista.blogspot.com%2F" class="Popup

    "You see, when it comes to language competence, a true patriot must hit that sweet spot between "job-stealing immigrant" and "liberal elitist." ~Eilonwy

    Wanna have access to the top names in fashion and luxury at up to 70% off retail? Sure you do. /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Ftinyurl.com%2F3yxneol" class="Popup

    DC metro area
  • CaribbiAmphibbiCaribbiAmphibbi Posts: 23Registered Users
    Thanks everyone! It's been about 2 weeks, so I may be in for another BC. But I will DT for sure. I'm new to the NC community, so please excuse my excessive use of jarjon.
    Black American, 3b-3c textured hair. Relaxer free for 2 YEARS!
  • *Ani**Ani* Posts: 351Registered Users
    Ladies, I recently got my hair blown straight. Pre blowdrying, the curls were pretty and nicely wound. Now, they're a multiple straight patches. Is there anything that I can do?

    This happened to me too...only it was blown straight and then they used a flat iron.

    In the end, after multiple shampoos I still had a lot of bone straight hair in different areas....

    Those areas of straight hair ended up breaking off over the course of several months.

    Luckily, I have a lot of hair and the breakage wasnt noticeable.

    Im sorry this happened to you too. I dont know what went wrong. I can only think she used too much heat.

    Next time, I'll go for a Dominican blow out.
    On Rush Limbaugh: Rather than engage in the admittedly difficult task of justifying GOP policies rationally, the key to Limbaugh’s success is attracting an audience that actually yearns to be lied to.
  • love yourself firstlove yourself first Posts: 5,398Registered Users

    Yup. If an excessive amount of heat is used, you can very well damage it to the point where it permanently straightens(and breaks off).

    Scary! I don't use heat on my hair other than with DTs and I am lazy about that. I've been toying with the idea of flatironing, but after reading this thread there is no way in hell that I would jeopardize my hair with extreme heat. It's taken me this long to actually like my hair and get out the chemicals and try to grow it. Extreme heat just seems too risky and not worth it, especially since the flat hair look is so boring and one dimensional (no offense to those with that natural hairtype, but it is not my natural hairtype and at this point in my life, I do not prefer type 1 hair at all).
    "Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people."
    "I think that somehow, we learn who we really are and then we live with that decision."
    - Eleanor Roosevelt (both quotes)

    (taking a break from posting starting late august 2009)
  • CaribbiAmphibbiCaribbiAmphibbi Posts: 23Registered Users
    [quote="*Ani
    Next time, I'll go for a Dominican blow out.[/quote]

    I had an Egyptian Blow out. Is the Dominican method gentler?
    Black American, 3b-3c textured hair. Relaxer free for 2 YEARS!
  • eccentric_kurlzeccentric_kurlz Posts: 4,144Registered Users
    Ani wrote:
    Next time, I'll go for a Dominican blow out.

    I had an Egyptian Blow out. Is the Dominican method gentler?

    A Dominican blow out still uses heat, but most of the heat is from a hooded dryer. It's what most in my area call a Roller wrap: Set the hair on xl magnetic rollers to dry, take rollers out to brush (and wrap), and then use a curling iron or flat-iron(somtimes a blow-dryer) to smooth and style.

    You could still experience damage if it's done improperly.
    A wonderful mix of coils, curls, corkscrews, and kinks.

    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fs211.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fbb133%2Fshyygirl_2007%2F" class="Popup
    PW: curlyhair

    I have a blog now. Follow meeeee! :)

    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fnaturalurbanista.blogspot.com%2F" class="Popup

    "You see, when it comes to language competence, a true patriot must hit that sweet spot between "job-stealing immigrant" and "liberal elitist." ~Eilonwy

    Wanna have access to the top names in fashion and luxury at up to 70% off retail? Sure you do. /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Ftinyurl.com%2F3yxneol" class="Popup

    DC metro area
  • eccentric_kurlzeccentric_kurlz Posts: 4,144Registered Users
    Ani wrote:
    Next time, I'll go for a Dominican blow out.

    I had an Egyptian Blow out. Is the Dominican method gentler?

    A Dominican blow out still uses heat, but most of the heat is from a hooded dryer. It's what most in my area call a Roller wrap: Set the hair on xl magnetic rollers to dry, take rollers out to brush (and wrap), and then use a curling iron or flat-iron(somtimes a blow-dryer) to smooth and style.

    You could still experience damage if it's done improperly.
    A wonderful mix of coils, curls, corkscrews, and kinks.

    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fs211.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fbb133%2Fshyygirl_2007%2F" class="Popup
    PW: curlyhair

    I have a blog now. Follow meeeee! :)

    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fnaturalurbanista.blogspot.com%2F" class="Popup

    "You see, when it comes to language competence, a true patriot must hit that sweet spot between "job-stealing immigrant" and "liberal elitist." ~Eilonwy

    Wanna have access to the top names in fashion and luxury at up to 70% off retail? Sure you do. /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Ftinyurl.com%2F3yxneol" class="Popup

    DC metro area
  • AmnerisAmneris Posts: 15,117Registered Users
    Curltopia wrote:

    Yup. If an excessive amount of heat is used, you can very well damage it to the point where it permanently straightens(and breaks off).

    Scary! I don't use heat on my hair other than with DTs and I am lazy about that. I've been toying with the idea of flatironing, but after reading this thread there is no way in hell that I would jeopardize my hair with extreme heat. It's taken me this long to actually like my hair and get out the chemicals and try to grow it. Extreme heat just seems too risky and not worth it, especially since the flat hair look is so boring and one dimensional (no offense to those with that natural hairtype, but it is not my natural hairtype and at this point in my life, I do not prefer type 1 hair at all).

    Well, I have never had problems and I've done this monthly for years. I go to the salon only, and I have coarse hair - maybe the hair getting straightened permanently is fine? I don't think it looks boring at all, nor does it look flat. I absolutely love the length, shine and silkiness. I think I have a couple of nice straight hair photos in my album and I will be getting it done again this week to have my hair trimmed, so I will post again. I like that I can do this and then wash my hair and have curls again - the best of both worlds.
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali


    .png


    534Pm5.png





  • *Ani**Ani* Posts: 351Registered Users
    Your hair looks cute straight Amneris. I dont know why this happened to me and the original poster. My sister gets her hair flat-ironed all the time and her curls have never disappeared like mine did.

    I also know ladies who wear their hair pressed every day and it still bounces back to curls once they shampoo.

    I didnt feel like the stylist was burning my hair. I really have no clue what happened, but I am very apprehensive about doing this again.
    On Rush Limbaugh: Rather than engage in the admittedly difficult task of justifying GOP policies rationally, the key to Limbaugh’s success is attracting an audience that actually yearns to be lied to.
  • LrigyttiwLrigyttiw Posts: 66Registered Users
    [quote="*Ani
    Next time, I'll go for a Dominican blow out.

    I had an Egyptian Blow out. Is the Dominican method gentler?[/quote]

    The same thing happened to me when I was transitioning... they used that really really hot iron with that stove thingie.. which I never even saw before.. and I had some hair that never went back curly.. they got cut off when I BC'd.. you can try to do a protien treatment..something strong like Apoghee..not sure if that's spelled right..and then a DT..that might help... it helped me last January I think it was.. last year not this year.. I blowdried and flat ironed my hair.....and lost some of my curl and that's what helped it to go back to normal... not sure if your curls will come back or not.. mine didn't.. the time from the damage was done..till I BC'd was about 5 weeks..

    I hope your hair goes back to normal!
    3C (CG since: 4-19-09)
    member since 7-22-09
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fmagic-hair.blogspot.com%2F" class="Popup
  • LrigyttiwLrigyttiw Posts: 66Registered Users
    Amneris wrote:
    Curltopia wrote:

    Yup. If an excessive amount of heat is used, you can very well damage it to the point where it permanently straightens(and breaks off).

    Scary! I don't use heat on my hair other than with DTs and I am lazy about that. I've been toying with the idea of flatironing, but after reading this thread there is no way in hell that I would jeopardize my hair with extreme heat. It's taken me this long to actually like my hair and get out the chemicals and try to grow it. Extreme heat just seems too risky and not worth it, especially since the flat hair look is so boring and one dimensional (no offense to those with that natural hairtype, but it is not my natural hairtype and at this point in my life, I do not prefer type 1 hair at all).

    Well, I have never had problems and I've done this monthly for years. I go to the salon only, and I have coarse hair - maybe the hair getting straightened permanently is fine? I don't think it looks boring at all, nor does it look flat. I absolutely love the length, shine and silkiness. I think I have a couple of nice straight hair photos in my album and I will be getting it done again this week to have my hair trimmed, so I will post again. I like that I can do this and then wash my hair and have curls again - the best of both worlds.

    I think that's what it may be.. I have fine hair.. and it's not coarse..it's pretty thin.. so that is prolly why that happens.. I can only speak for myself though..but I think that's why it happened to me..
    3C (CG since: 4-19-09)
    member since 7-22-09
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fmagic-hair.blogspot.com%2F" class="Popup
  • CaribbiAmphibbiCaribbiAmphibbi Posts: 23Registered Users
    RushGirl wrote:
    Amneris wrote:
    Curltopia wrote:

    Yup. If an excessive amount of heat is used, you can very well damage it to the point where it permanently straightens(and breaks off).

    Scary! I don't use heat on my hair other than with DTs and I am lazy about that. I've been toying with the idea of flatironing, but after reading this thread there is no way in hell that I would jeopardize my hair with extreme heat. It's taken me this long to actually like my hair and get out the chemicals and try to grow it. Extreme heat just seems too risky and not worth it, especially since the flat hair look is so boring and one dimensional (no offense to those with that natural hairtype, but it is not my natural hairtype and at this point in my life, I do not prefer type 1 hair at all).

    Well, I have never had problems and I've done this monthly for years. I go to the salon only, and I have coarse hair - maybe the hair getting straightened permanently is fine? I don't think it looks boring at all, nor does it look flat. I absolutely love the length, shine and silkiness. I think I have a couple of nice straight hair photos in my album and I will be getting it done again this week to have my hair trimmed, so I will post again. I like that I can do this and then wash my hair and have curls again - the best of both worlds.

    I think that's what it may be.. I have fine hair.. and it's not coarse..it's pretty thin.. so that is prolly why that happens.. I can only speak for myself though..but I think that's why it happened to me..

    Now that you mention, the hair that won't revert was finer. More of a 3Aish texture. My 3c hair is just fine :lol:
    Black American, 3b-3c textured hair. Relaxer free for 2 YEARS!
  • susususu Posts: 767Registered Users
    This has happened to me as well, and my hair is extremely coarse. In my case, I think it had to do w/ the fact that I was using a crappy flat iron, at a very high setting, and was pressing very hard w/o even trying to detangle/smooth my hair first (I was getting frustrated w/ how hard it was to straighten my hair and how long it was taking). Afterwds, I had a couple of patches in my bottom layer that did not revert, and after a couple of weeks I just snipped off the straight pieces.

    I swore I wouldn't flat-iron my own hair after that... but I got restless and bought a Maxiglide. I used it yesterday for the first time, but was much more cautious - deep conditioned, applied heat serum, brushed and put my hair in braids to dry (to loosen the curl), smoothed each section with a boar bristle brush, then used my flat-iron on the lowest possible setting (1). My hair isn't stick straight, but I don't care - I really want to do everything I can to minimize heat damage (although I think there's always a risk when you flat iron).
  • medussamedussa Posts: 12,993Registered Users
    Ani wrote:
    Next time, I'll go for a Dominican blow out.

    I had an Egyptian Blow out. Is the Dominican method gentler?

    A Dominican blow out still uses heat, but most of the heat is from a hooded dryer. It's what most in my area call a Roller wrap: Set the hair on xl magnetic rollers to dry, take rollers out to brush (and wrap), and then use a curling iron or flat-iron(somtimes a blow-dryer) to smooth and style.

    Both my sisters get their hair done at Dominican salons and this is what they do. My mom used this method at home, and I never had breakage and dryness until I started highlighting and using the CHI.

    I would try to do the Dominican method, next time.
  • earthlycoilearthlycoil Posts: 71Registered Users
    Now that you mention, the hair that won't revert was finer. More of a 3Aish texture. My 3c hair is just fine :lol:

    I just want to point out a common misconception that many people, including myself, have had. Coarse hair does not equal curly or kinky. Asian women frequently have coarse hair and they mostly have type 1 hair. The kinkiest hair type, 4B is usually quite fine. That, along with all of the bends and curves, is why it's so easy to damage it.

    You can't tell if you actually have coarse, medium, or fine hair unless you look at the individual strand to measure its thickness. There are articles about measurements. I'll see if I can find them. :wink:
  • AmnerisAmneris Posts: 15,117Registered Users
    By coarse, I meant the texture. I have coarse and curly hair and I think coarse hair tends to be stronger and fine hair more fragile, so I would think that fine and curly hair would be more easily damaged by straightening, regardless of how curly it is.
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali


    .png


    534Pm5.png





  • AmnerisAmneris Posts: 15,117Registered Users
    medussa wrote:
    Ani wrote:
    Next time, I'll go for a Dominican blow out.

    I had an Egyptian Blow out. Is the Dominican method gentler?

    A Dominican blow out still uses heat, but most of the heat is from a hooded dryer. It's what most in my area call a Roller wrap: Set the hair on xl magnetic rollers to dry, take rollers out to brush (and wrap), and then use a curling iron or flat-iron(somtimes a blow-dryer) to smooth and style.

    Both my sisters get their hair done at Dominican salons and this is what they do. My mom used this method at home, and I never had breakage and dryness until I started highlighting and using the CHI.

    I would try to do the Dominican method, next time.

    I wonder why this method has the Dominican name (or other countries) attached to it? I think this is a common technique throughout Latin America and the Caribbean - I've known it and seen it done all my life.
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali


    .png


    534Pm5.png





  • medussamedussa Posts: 12,993Registered Users
    You got me. I'm Dominican and this is what my mom did and what the salons we went to did. Maybe other caribbean salons do this too. I've never been to any others, so I'm not sure why this method is attributed to Dominicans.
  • MsladiiMsladii Posts: 442Registered Users
    medussa wrote:
    You got me. I'm Dominican and this is what my mom did and what the salons we went to did. Maybe other caribbean salons do this too. I've never been to any others, so I'm not sure why this method is attributed to Dominicans.


    I thinks its mainly because the Dominican people are the main ones using this technique. I'm Dominican, and I've known my family to use this technique, But also all over all you see ie either, Domincan salons, African braiding, black, and white salons, (I live in Brooklyn, NY)
    PLEASE SUBSCRIBE TO MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL IT WILL BE ABOUT NATURAL HAIR CARE / STYLES / TUTORIALS AND COSMETICS I WOULD LOVE FEEDBACK AND SUPPORT
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fuser%2Fsimplycliche" class="Popup

    "Shrinkage is only your hair trying to get closer to you...embrace it."
    O, medium/course, spongy, mass of beautiful curly hair

    event.png

    pswd rawks
  • medussamedussa Posts: 12,993Registered Users
    Msladii wrote:
    medussa wrote:
    You got me. I'm Dominican and this is what my mom did and what the salons we went to did. Maybe other caribbean salons do this too. I've never been to any others, so I'm not sure why this method is attributed to Dominicans.


    I thinks its mainly because the Dominican people are the main ones using this technique. I'm Dominican, and I've known my family to use this technique, But also all over all you see ie either, Domincan salons, African braiding, black, and white salons, (I live in Brooklyn, NY)

    We grew up in midtown Manhattan, but spent a lot of time in Washington Heights--nothing but Domincian salons there. :lol:
  • susususu Posts: 767Registered Users
    Sorry, O/T...

    Mslaadi: Do you know any good, cheap Dominican salons in Bklyn? Thanks!