CurlTalk

Michelle Obama's dress

Skram1113Skram1113 Posts: 365Registered Users
Idk whether this has been posted but, I just came across this article on yahoo:

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fomg.yahoo.com%2Fblogs%2Fa-line%2Fmichelle-obamas-election-night-dress%2F84%3Fnc" class="Popup

I didn't really find anything wrong with the dress. Then again, I'm notorious for my steadfast belief that sweatpants and beaters are appropriate daily attire and that jeans are "dressy". If I had to criticize it at all I'd say I wasn't a fan of the shurg. Did anyone else find her dress to be an "appalling frock" ?
3b/c/f/ii
Messing with AOWC/AORM (but will always love AOHR) Also playing with KBB, KCKT & KCCC
Frustrated none the less... Keratin process set for 12/20 unless something changes before then.

Fotki:
/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fskram1113%2F" class="Popup
pw: curl

1/20/2009 could not come sooner

Comments

• 3cCurly3cCurly Posts: 114Users Awaiting Email Confirmation
    Yup it's pretty ugly looks like a splatter ketchup stain:laughing6:

The only outfits I liked her in was the purple dress and the outfit she wore at the Jay Leno Show
  • munchkinmunchkin Posts: 2,909Registered Users
    Was not a pretty dress. She has worn much prettier. Hope her inagaural (think I spelled that wrong) ball gown has more wow power.

I think part of her problem is she doesn't carry herself well. My younger sister is tall and has always kind of slumped. I think Michelle seems to carry herself the same way.
    3b/c
  • rouquinnerouquinne Posts: 13,498Registered Users Curl Dabbler
    i didn't like it - she should've chosen a solid coloured suit.
    My blog:

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Flabellatestarossa.blogspot.ca%2F" class="Popup

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
  • Myradella3Myradella3 Posts: 2,481Registered Users
    Yeah it won't make the top ten best dresses I've ever seen.
  • MichelleBFTMichelleBFT Posts: 4,812Registered Users
    I usually love or at least like what she wears. I did not like this dress.

If the panels on the side hadn't been so shiny, I would have liked it more.
    "And politically correct is the worst term, not just because it’s dismissive, but because it narrows down the whole social justice spectrum to this idea that it’s about being polite instead of about dismantling the oppressive social structure of power.
    Fun Fact: When you actively avoid being “PC,” you’re not being forward-thinking or unique. You’re buying into systems of oppression that have existed since before you were even born, and you’re keeping those systems in place."
    Stolen.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    I didn't like it at all.
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,258Registered Users
    I usually like what she wears, but I didn't like this one. The dress itself is interesting, but it didn't flatter her figure.
  • journotravelerjournotraveler Posts: 2,816Registered Users
    i didn't like it at all. i thought that she looked pretty--hair, makeup, face, skin. but the dress? not so much. it looked like it probably looked better on camera than off.

now that she's the first lady elect, i hope that she'll hook up with a designer who dresses her well. she's a good looking woman, and all eyes will be on her. unfortunate, but true.

i'd like to see her dressed by donna karan, or vera wang, or phillip lim, or tracey reese.... all really good, american designers,
    3B corkscrews with scatterings of 3A & 3C.
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,258Registered Users
    i didn't like it at all. i thought that she looked pretty--hair, makeup, face, skin. but the dress? not so much. it looked like it probably looked better on camera than off.

now that she's the first lady elect, i hope that she'll hook up with a designer who dresses her well. she's a good looking woman, and all eyes will be on her. unfortunate, but true.

i'd like to see her dressed by donna karan, or vera wang, or phillip lim, or tracey reese.... all really good, american designers,

She will. It's always like this with new First Ladies. At first they look like "Country comes to Washington", but then a designer takes them under their wing, they get a makeover, and look gorgeous for the duration.

Wouldn't it be cool if someone could convince Michelle to go natural with her hair? Her daughters too...they're too young to be so straightened.
  • NayaNaya Posts: 922Registered Users
    Am I the only one who hates the idea of so much emphasis being on Michelle's clothes as opposed to Michelle herself?

Geesh, it's just clothes.:dontknow:

But I agree with the person who started the thread, i'm a t-shirt and sweats kinda girl. Comfort over fashion for me :)
    BC: May 2008
    Hair Type:
    3C/4A mix I think
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fmembers.fotki.com%2FRizadaMinicana" class="Popup
    Not Updated D:

Vegan-ish

s-event.png

She will. It's always like this with new First Ladies. At first they look like "Country comes to Washington", but then a designer takes them under their wing, they get a makeover, and look gorgeous for the duration.

Wouldn't it be cool if someone could convince Michelle to go natural with her hair? Her daughters too...they're too young to be so straightened.

i don't think michelle will ever go natural! as for her daughters, they're natural most of the time. like my 7-year-old niece, who wears her long hair in braids most of the time, they get their hair blown out for special occasions. election day, malia and sasha were at the polling booth with natural hair. my sister told my niece, "look! malia's hair is braided just like yours."

my sister and her family live in a very white suburb. she's thrilled that my niece can see herself reflected in little black girls who'll be living in the white house. it's very cool.
    Naya wrote: »
    Am I the only one who hates the idea of so much emphasis being on Michelle's clothes as opposed to Michelle herself?

Geesh, it's just clothes.:dontknow:

But I agree with the person who started the thread, i'm a t-shirt and sweats kinda girl. Comfort over fashion for me :)

i hear you. women are always scrutinized way more than men in that area. but i don't see that stopping any time soon.
  • TLMMMTLMMM Posts: 457Registered Users
    michelle is natural, she just has her hair blown out. read about it here:

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.philly.com%2Finquirer%2Fmagazine%2F27590034.html" class="Popup

I thought she looked fabulous-I also love that she stays herself in spite of the fashion critics.
  • AmnerisAmneris Posts: 15,117Registered Users
    The dress was by Narcisco Rodriguez with a black bolero on top. I kind of liked it, and wanted one like it, but when she first came out, I thought she was pregnant, and she isn't a big woman at all, so it must have been somewhat unflattering. But I like that she did something different than a boring suit and wore some colour, and I like how she matched her girls. And I think it would be a shame if she got all her own taste "styled" out of her just because she is now First Lady.
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

• FreeCurlsFreeCurls Posts: 4,408Registered Users
    I agree. I thought the dress was hideous too as soon as I saw it but didn't want to mention it because it's really not important. But now that it's been brought up...:)

Maybe she chose that dress because it was the only one she could find that matched the chosen Red/black theme that the family wore.
    [FONT=&quot]Sterling Cooper Draper Pryce & FreeCurls[/FONT]

Amneris wrote: »
    The dress was by Narcisco Rodriguez with a black bolero on top. I kind of liked it, and wanted one like it, but when she first came out, I thought she was pregnant, and she isn't a big woman at all, so it must have been somewhat unflattering. But I like that she did something different than a boring suit and wore some colour, and I like how she matched her girls. And I think it would be a shame if she got all her own taste "styled" out of her just because she is now First Lady.

i agree. i don't think she should have her taste or individuality styled out of her, either. but it wouldn't hurt to have it fine-tuned--she's been kind of hit or miss with some of her choices, imo. hell, if i were suddenly thrust on the national/international stage like that, i would want to have all the help that i can get.
  • geminigemini Posts: 3,325Registered Users
    I didn't like the dress, but she does go for some bold choices and I have to give her credit for that. Most of the time it works, sometimes it doesn't.
  • YolyCYolyC Posts: 3,758Registered Users
    I didn't like it either. At first glance I thought it was a red dress and she had a black sweater covering it up.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"If you don't stand for something you will fall for anything."
    Malcolm X
  • Skram1113Skram1113 Posts: 365Registered Users
    FreeCurls wrote: »
    I agree. I thought the dress was hideous too as soon as I saw it but didn't want to mention it because it's really not important. But now that it's been brought up...:)

Maybe she chose that dress because it was the only one she could find that matched the chosen Red/black theme that the family wore.

I thought Barack was wearing a navy blue suit? Then again, I could be wrong, I didn't get to watch the speech until almost 3 am:dontknow:
    3b/c/f/ii
    Messing with AOWC/AORM (but will always love AOHR) Also playing with KBB, KCKT & KCCC
    Frustrated none the less... Keratin process set for 12/20 unless something changes before then.

Fotki:
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fskram1113%2F" class="Popup
    pw: curl

1/20/2009 could not come sooner
  • TrenellTrenell Posts: 3,562Registered Users
    I really didn't like it. I was still crying when he came out to do his speech. Through my sobs I said "What. intha. hell. is she. wearing?"

Trenell's priorities in tact: CHECK hahaha
  • NayaNaya Posts: 922Registered Users
    TLMMM wrote: »
    michelle is natural, she just has her hair blown out. read about it here:

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.philly.com%2Finquirer%2Fmagazine%2F27590034.html" class="Popup

I thought she looked fabulous-I also love that she stays herself in spite of the fashion critics.

I love this post! I agree with you 100%! And maybe one day we'll get to see her hair without the blow out! :)
    BC: May 2008
    Hair Type:
    3C/4A mix I think
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fmembers.fotki.com%2FRizadaMinicana" class="Popup
    Not Updated D:

Vegan-ish

s-event.png
    Trenell wrote: »
    I really didn't like it. I was still crying when he came out to do his speech. Through my sobs I said "What. intha. hell. is she. wearing?"

:laughing5:
  • legendslegends Posts: 3,073Registered Users
    I wasn't crazy about it, but I would have liked to see her in it without the cardigan. That might have helped. One of the entertainment shows last night showed a clip of the dress on the runway (a Narcisso Rodriquez, I think), and while it still wasn't to my taste it wasn't that bad.
    Eres o te haces?
  • JosephineJosephine Posts: 14,175Registered Users
    I kind of like it. It's different and I don't think it looks bad.
    Skram1113 wrote: »
    FreeCurls wrote: »

I thought Barack was wearing a navy blue suit? Then again, I could be wrong, I didn't get to watch the speech until almost 3 am:dontknow:

I thought his suit was black but I could be wrong on that. either way he was wearing a red tie. One girl was in black, the other in red and Michelle in Red and black.

Josephine wrote: »
    I kind of like it. It's different and I don't think it looks bad.
    it's snot THAT bad but it's just not flattering on Michelle. It made her look very hippy.

• wavezncurlzwavezncurlz Posts: 1,814Registered Users
    It wasn't that bad. But then again, I like bold colors and bold styles. When I used to visit the hill, I was often the only one in bright colors. Everyone else my age had on black, black, black, and maybe gray. I look forward to having someone in the whitehouse with some daring ideas about fashion and I hope they don't kill her spirit.

AND she looks hippy because she IS hippy. Get used to it America. Many AA women have that shape and it's just fine with us :toothy7:

And the girls are natural. I love the versatility of their hair. I do not think America is ready for Michelle w/o a blow-out. I'll be interested to see how she plays it over time.
    HAIRCOLLAGE2010-1-1.jpg[

mini-album w/ various styles for the past 10 years of natural hair:
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fs29.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fc252%2Fwavezncurlz%2Fhair%2F" class="Popup
    password: curlzorwavez

Haha, my friend works in fashion and this is the first thing she said when they came out. Of course we all picked on her for that!
    AND she looks hippy because she IS hippy. Get used to it America. Many AA women have that shape and it's just fine with us :toothy7:

Exactly! And it's just fine with us hippy non AA women too! Hips rule! :toothy7:
  • YolyCYolyC Posts: 3,758Registered Users
    Through my sobs I said "What. intha. hell. is she. wearing?"

:laughing6: I said the same thing. Aside from her dress, her hair and make-up looked great. I think she's pretty. She has a really warm smile.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"If you don't stand for something you will fall for anything."
    Malcolm X

Leave a Comment