Need help detangling new growth

pericurlpericurl Registered Users Posts: 39
Hello transitioners. It's been a while since I've posted I see. I guess it's because this is SUCH a challenge sometimes. I'm now six months without a texturizer, have had a little cut and have about 3 inches of new growth. Texturized hair is shoulder length. In the last two weeks, I've discovered I need to stop using Deva's Angell on the texturized hair as it just makes my hair feel too dry now. I've begun using Giovanni's Direct Leave-in as my setting agent.

This week's challenge though....all of a sudden it has become EXTREMELY difficult to detangle the new growth while in the shower. If I shampoo, it's with Deva's No-Poo. Otherwise I co/wash with OneC, rinse it out, reapply it as a conditioner then start my detangling. I do this every other day. I style my hair by scrunching some, defusing, then allowing my hair to air dry and then scrunching again.

Any suggestions for why it's getting so difficult to detangle and what to do about it.

Comments

• Kinks74Kinks74 Registered Users Posts: 394
    I'm not a transitioner, but I am all natural and my hair has kinks and curls. Kinky/curly hair is just difficult to detangle. Don't worry, its not just you. Everyone has different approaches to detangling, but here's mine:

1) I only detangle in the shower while my hair is soaking wet;
    2) I only detangle with the help of conditioner;
    3) The only time I use a comb to detangle is when I deep condition (no more than once a week), otherwise I use my hands/fingers (reduces frizz);
    4) I run from brushes;
    5) I try to use only natural conditioners with lots of slip (like [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Oyin-Honey-Hemp-Conditioner-p-860.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=oyin-honey-hemp-conditioner]Oyin Honey Hemp[/buylink])

I keep my hair short, since its more manageable for me. Also, using a leave-in or moisturizer under gel helps with the dryness, so does air drying. My favorite leave-in at the moment is Karen's Body Beautiful. There are several KBB threads on this site that you may want to check out.

I am by no means an expert. My hair too is a work in progress. I hope this helps and good luck...
    Kinks, kinks and more kinks :rolleyes:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Current Goodies: KBB Hair Mask, KBB Deep Condish, JC WDT, Oyin Juices & Berries, Oyin Shine & Define, Oyin Whipped Pudding
    Faves & Raves: Oyin Juices & Berries, KBB Deep Condish, JC WDT, CBSS WSHP, KCCC, Henna :love4:
    Not so Goodies: Proteins & heavy oils...
    Current Challenge: kinky & twisted! (ahem, two-strand twisted) :toothy7:
  • blackhoney112blackhoney112 Registered Users Posts: 126
    There are 2 things that have helped me tremedously with detangle my hair and they are: 1. Vatika oil and 2. Denman brush (sally's). I have found that detangling in a steamy shower with my hair saturated with vatika oil is the easiest, gentlest, and quickest way for me to detangle. I use to use slippy conditioners but oil is soooo much better the tangle literally slip out HTH :wink:

pericurl wrote: »
    Hello transitioners. It's been a while since I've posted I see. I guess it's because this is SUCH a challenge sometimes. I'm now six months without a texturizer, have had a little cut and have about 3 inches of new growth. Texturized hair is shoulder length. In the last two weeks, I've discovered I need to stop using Deva's Angell on the texturized hair as it just makes my hair feel too dry now. I've begun using Giovanni's Direct Leave-in as my setting agent.

This week's challenge though....all of a sudden it has become EXTREMELY difficult to detangle the new growth while in the shower. If I shampoo, it's with Deva's No-Poo. Otherwise I co/wash with OneC, rinse it out, reapply it as a conditioner then start my detangling. I do this every other day. I style my hair by scrunching some, defusing, then allowing my hair to air dry and then scrunching again.

Any suggestions for why it's getting so difficult to detangle and what to do about it.
    3c/4a
    Transitioning
    Following C&G method
    Fav products: Kenra MC, Misskey 10en1, VO5 moisturemilks, ACV rinses, Rhassoul clay & WGO
    pw: Romeo
    My hair album
  • pericurlpericurl Registered Users Posts: 39
    It seems that most women keep their natural curls/kinks really short in order to manage them.

I want to wear mine curly and long and not flat iron or roller set. Is that an impossible dream?

Blackhoney112, what is vatika oil and where do you find it?
  • Karua12Karua12 Registered Users Posts: 155
    I think women with our type of hair can definitely grow hair long just like everyone else; it just takes a bit more work and TLC. I'm almost 8 months into my transition and I remember month 6 was hard for me too. However, I've discovered a few things that have made it tremendously easier for me.

1. Is the front section of your hair easier to detangle than the back section? That always happened to me, especially on the left side. I realized it wasn't anything strange, but because I was sleeping on that side more than all the others. At night then I either tie my hair up in a scarf to keep it from moving, put the back section into 4 big braids or pin it up with bobby pins.

2. Everyday I try to get a few drops of oil (I use jojoba or coconut) and just smooth it over my hair and detangle gently with my fingers and separate my roots a bit while I do a scalp massage.

3. I co-wash 2-3x a week and this is what I do:
    1. I get a couple handfuls of one type of oil, extra-oil or coconut is what I usually use and leave it in my hair for about an hour. I shampoo my hair 1-2x a month and deep condition 2-4x month so if I'm going to do both or either, I do this before putting the oil in.
    2. Get in the shower and apply a conditioner with slip in my hair, concentrating on the new growth alone. (I use Suave Coconut)
    3. Pin my hair up and take my shower, get the hair saturated with water (without washing the condtioner out), part my hair in half or in quarters and slowly detangle each section (with a wide-toothed comb) from the ends upwards. I go slowly and try to get most of the tangles out but I leave the really bad ones (if I have any) alone for the next step.
    4. I put the shower on a low water setting and have it run over my hair and continue to detangle my hair. At this point though the comb runs smoothly through. At the end I pull lightly pull my hands through my hair to get rid of any shed hairs (I'll try the Denman brush soon for this though) because if I leave them there, my hair tangles sooner.

I know it sounds confusing but detangling used to take me a good hour but with this method takes me around 10-15 min :toothy7: I hope it helps!

Also: The most improvement to detangling (for me) was putting the oil under my conditioner and using the stream of water to help. I've never used vatika oil so I can't say how that works. Also, I find if I keep my hair in twists/twist outs or other styles to stretch the roots out a bit instead of washing and going (which I do half of the time due to laziness) I have a *much* easier time detangling.
    Hey everyone!~ I've BCed! Yay! (13 month transition)
    Last Perm: March 23, 2008
    BC: April 24, 2009

Goals: To learn how to style my hair and continue to grow it healthy and happy!
    Hair type: :o 4b near the temples, 3c in the back/nape and 4a everywhere! Mostly coily-curly with medium-fine strands and medium thickness.

event.png

• pericurlpericurl Registered Users Posts: 39
    Karua12 wrote: »
    I think women with our type of hair can definitely grow hair long just like everyone else; it just takes a bit more work and TLC. I'm almost 8 months into my transition and I remember month 6 was hard for me too. However, I've discovered a few things that have made it tremendously easier for me.

1. Is the front section of your hair easier to detangle than the back section? That always happened to me, especially on the left side. I realized it wasn't anything strange, but because I was sleeping on that side more than all the others. At night then I either tie my hair up in a scarf to keep it from moving, put the back section into 4 big braids or pin it up with bobby pins.

2. Everyday I try to get a few drops of oil (I use jojoba or coconut) and just smooth it over my hair and detangle gently with my fingers and separate my roots a bit while I do a scalp massage.

3. I co-wash 2-3x a week and this is what I do:
    1. I get a couple handfuls of one type of oil, extra-oil or coconut is what I usually use and leave it in my hair for about an hour. I shampoo my hair 1-2x a month and deep condition 2-4x month so if I'm going to do both or either, I do this before putting the oil in.
    2. Get in the shower and apply a conditioner with slip in my hair, concentrating on the new growth alone. (I use Suave Coconut)
    3. Pin my hair up and take my shower, get the hair saturated with water (without washing the condtioner out), part my hair in half or in quarters and slowly detangle each section (with a wide-toothed comb) from the ends upwards. I go slowly and try to get most of the tangles out but I leave the really bad ones (if I have any) alone for the next step.
    4. I put the shower on a low water setting and have it run over my hair and continue to detangle my hair. At this point though the comb runs smoothly through. At the end I pull lightly pull my hands through my hair to get rid of any shed hairs (I'll try the Denman brush soon for this though) because if I leave them there, my hair tangles sooner.

I know it sounds confusing but detangling used to take me a good hour but with this method takes me around 10-15 min :toothy7: I hope it helps!

Also: The most improvement to detangling (for me) was putting the oil under my conditioner and using the stream of water to help. I've never used vatika oil so I can't say how that works. Also, I find if I keep my hair in twists/twist outs or other styles to stretch the roots out a bit instead of washing and going (which I do half of the time due to laziness) I have a *much* easier time detangling.
    Those are some great tips. I've been avoiding oil since trying the caramel treatment back in August and seeing no noticeable difference. Before I began this transition, I co/washed every three to four days and used three drops of jojoba and 2 drops essential lemon oil to my co/wash and a couple of drops of jojoba and sandalwood to my leave-in. I've had to start cleansing every other day now with this new growth and I'm actually using the Deva No-poo once a week and deep conditioning weekly. But I haven't been adding oils to anything. It's definitely worth trying.
  • LilluLillu Registered Users Posts: 182
    The only thing that I can rely on to detangle my hair is VO5 Moisture Milks conditioners, especially the Strawberries & Cream one. I couldnt live without it, its the slipperiest thing ive ever found, and its really cheap too, so great all round! HTH!!
    3c spirals & corkscrews!
    Transitioned Sep'07-Nov'08
    BCed 21st Nov 2008!!

My hair likes:
    Alba Botanical Leave-in is my irst HG :-)
    Condish: AOHR
    Co-wash: Original Source Tea Tree Mint
    Post-BC hair HATES protein!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file