Sweet Potato or Yam recipes?

TwoMoonsTwoMoons Posts: 754Registered Users
I don't have too much Sweet Potato or Yam recipes. I follow the Japanese diet so all the recipes are Japanese but your recipe does not have to be.:)

~Vanilla flavored Sweet Potato w/ Orange:
Serves 4
8 oz. (1 medium) sweet potato, peeled
1 orange, sliced
1 vanilla bean, slit lengthways
2 oz. (1/4 cup) granulated sugar

Directions:
Chop the sweet potato into chunks 1 inch thick and soak in cold water. Drain then put the chuncks in a saucepan w/ enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for about 10 minutes. Drain off cooking water. Add the orange slices, vanilla bean, sugar, and 1 3/4-2 of fresh water and cook until potato is soft. Remove the chunks of potato and transfer them to a serving dish. Reduce the liquid by half and drizzile it over the potato.

Does anyone know a good candy yam recipe?
:coffee::bunny::cat::headbang:OTAKU 4 LIFE!!!!

"Some people say that cats are sneaky, evil, and cruel. True, and they have many other fine qualities as well.”

I <3 Cats!

Comments

• TK*TK* Posts: 885Registered Users
    Don't know about a candied yam recipe but I can make a mean vegetarian sweet potato/zucchini soup.

2 sweet potatoes
    2 zucchinis
    1 1/2 cup milk (or soy milk)
    1 cup vegetable stock or water (or any other stock)
    3 green onions
    1 onion
    dash of rosemary
    pepper and other spices to taste

Directions:
    Chop up everything and saute for 20 min
    Add milk and vegetable stock and cover for 30 min on simmer
    Put mixture in a blender with spices and puree.
    Serve hot or cold.

Makes a nice fall soup when hot, when cold, it's more like a sweet desert. Either way, it's a good soup. :smile:
    I'm "TechKnockout" now.
  • WurlyLoxWurlyLox Posts: 4,858Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    This sounds like about the same recipe that my family has used forever:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Sweet-Potato-Casserole-II-501/Detail.aspx

With the pecan streusel topping, it's almost more of a dessert. It's wonderful with all the traditional Thanksgiving "fixings". Even people who think they don't like sweet potatoes usually like this.

I only use half as much sugar in the souffle part as is called for, all egg whites to cut down on fat and cholesterol, Smart Balance instead of butter, undiluted evaporated skim milk. No one's been able to tell the difference between my substitutes and my mom's without. I just don't tell them, except for her - for all I know she may be doing the same by now.

The only time anyone said anything was when I left the white sugar out altogether. I thought they were still fine, but some of our crew could tell and complained - they were still all eaten, though!

I've also used whole wheat flour in the streusel. Tasted fine, but there was a little color difference and again they complained :roll:
    2C/3A/3B - modified CG - fairly fine now, normal/low porosity/normal elasticity

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated or Aim2Health 'poos for scalp, Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite,CJ Pattern Pusha,, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing w/360o diffuser then clips/clamps & air dry. Newly gray - stopped my henna glosses!

www.fotki.com/auntnett
  • NayaNaya Posts: 922Registered Users
    Pasteles en hoja (Ground-roots pockets) (Dominican Recipe)

Time: 70 Mins
    Difficulty: Advanced
    Serve: 4 people

Before starting to cook: Peel and grate the plantain, the malanga and the yam. Reserve. Cut the leaves into 8" x 8" squares and then wash them. Reserve.

Ingredients:
    • 1 unripe plantain
    • 1/2 lb of malangas
    • 1/2 lb of yams
    • 1 teaspoon of seasoning powder
    • 3 banana tree leaves
    • 2 leaves of basil, chopped finely
    • 1/2 lb of ground meat
    • 1 tablespoon of tomato paste
    • 1 teaspoon of salt
    • 1 small red onion, diced into very small cubes
    • 1 green pepper
    • 1/2 cup of ketchup
    • 1 teaspoon of Tabasco sauce
    • Ground black pepper.
    • String (the kind used for tying ham while cooking)
    Preparation:
    1. Cut the green pepper and get rid of the seeds. Chop the green peppers into small cubes about the same size as the onions. Put the ground beef in a bowl, mix the pepper and the onion, add a pinch of oregano, a pinch of pepper and a teaspoon of salt.
    2. In a shallow pan heat a tablespoon of oil. Add the ground beef and stir so it cooks uniformly. Add two tablespoons of water and the tomato paste. Let simmer at medium heat. Adjust water when necessary. When the meat is ready let all the liquid evaporate, adjust salt to taste. Turn off the heat and reserve.
    3. In a deep bowl mix in the malanga, yam, plantain, seasoning powder, 1 teaspoon of salt and ground pepper. Put 2 tablespoons of this mixture on the center of one of the leaves. Put 1 teaspoon of meat in the center, cover with two more tablespoons of the root mix. Tie with the thread very tightly. When all are done, put half a gallon of water to boil in a deep pot. When the water is boiling, add 1 tablespoon of salt. Put all the pockets in the boiling water and let boil at medium heat for 15 minutes.
    4. Unwrap before serving. Serve accompanied with Tabasco sauce and ketchup on the side.
    It's a lot of work but it's sooo delicious!!! It's also tasty if you leave the meat out!
    BC: May 2008
    Hair Type:
    3C/4A mix I think
    http://members.fotki.com/RizadaMinicana
    Not Updated D:

Vegan-ish

s-event.png

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file