Need a recipe for hair butter/cream

BotticelliBabeBotticelliBabe Posts: 1,574Registered Users Curl Neophyte
So I tried the KBB hair cream in hibiscus (thanks for that sample, SunshineGrrl!!!), and I really loved how it made my dry hair feel and look, but I can't afford to get any just yet. What I do have though, is a nearly full tub of shea butter, 5 lbs of coconut oil, tons of FOTE, a bunch of assorted oils, pure glycerin, and a bunch of fragrance oils. I figure there HAS to be something I can make from all of that stuff that would at least resemble the effects of what KBB's hair cream did for me, but I have no idea where to start. I know I'll need to melt/soften it a little, mix, cool, and then whip, but what should I put in it? How much, and of which things?

Mixtresses, please help! I can probably only make two batches with the shea butter I have on hand, but I don't want to screw up any of it if I can help it (I'd like it to all be useable in my hair and not my body).
BB

35ncsigpic-vi.jpg
http://www.BotticelliBotanicals.etsy.com
BSL/Mid Back, thick 3a/b

Botticelli Botanicals Meringue
Botticelli Botanicals Smoothie
Botticelli Botanicals Styling Mudd w/ double avocado oil and double agave
Botticelli Botanicals Lime in the Coconut Butter

Comments

• TillyMunchyWavesTillyMunchyWaves Posts: 671Registered Users
    Don't know if this will help, but here is what I use to make a really thick avocado hair "butter."

A base conditioner like Earth Science or Nature's Gate blended with equal parts PURE aloe vera gel, not aloe water (I got it from the health food store)

A big glop of Avocado Butter

A glop of Mango Butter

Avocado Oil--green

Jojoba Oil

Wheat Germ Oil, because the vitamins act as a natural preservative

A little glycerin

This recipe comes out pretty smooth and light, but is at the same time buttery and moisturizing when applied. It reminds me of AOHR.

I use a hand mixer, and it makes all the difference. I don't think a whisk would do the job.
    ---

One time I put a similar recipe together with honey, coconut milk, and 1/2 of an Avocado that I used as a DT. It worked wonderfully, but kept in the 'fridge for 2 weeks only.

---

I have tried making straight homeade conditioners, but really I have had good results with Nature's Gate or Earth Science blended first with Aloe Vera Gel. This is the most important thing, I think. The gel makes the conditioner thicker, fluffier, and IMHO ready for the heavier butters and oils. And I think that using a conditioner as a base makes the product last longer and have better texture.

I would guess that the recipe only contains 1/4 store-bought conditioner.

I use a hand-held mixer.

I hope this helps.
    Wavy, curly on the ends, 2C.
    Coarse to medium textured, porous, dry, and lots of it.
    Shampoo--HSH Pumpkin, Abba Pure Moisture
    LVPNG, HSH Pumpkin, Walgreen's Knockoffs--Condish/Cowash
    AOHR, Nexxus, EO--LI
    CK & ReCoil--Activator
    Suave Max Hold, Alagio Curl-Gel
    For inquiring minds who want to know:
    http://www.public.fotki.com/TillyErnissee
  • TashaTashaTashaTasha Posts: 383Registered Users
    I just saw this today. http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=60610

But because I really don't have time to make my own, I just saw this website today www.shescentit.com Their whipped butter is very cheap and uses the same ingredients just about.
  • ~GypsyCurls~~GypsyCurls~ Posts: 351Registered Users
    I've used a butter made from coconut oil and jojoba oil, but due to the melting, solidifying, and re-melting of the coconut oil, I tried something else-I mixed shea butter with hemp seed oil and it's pretty good! You can substitute your favorite oil if hemp's too heavy for you, the shea butter helps maintain a nice thick creamy texture. I also added some perfume oil to it, too.

Just mix the two in a container ( I didn't measure the portions, just do what feels right) and melt it in the microwave, then after it cools just a bit mix in some perfume oil/essential oil if desired. then put in the fridge until it becomes solid.
    2c/3a/3b curls, tailbone length, fairy tale ends
    Cleansers: V05 Co
    Conditioners: KMS Everyday, Dove Dry Oil Care

DT/Treats:Aphogee Protein Treat/Hemp/Argan Oil
    Leave-ins/Stylers: All HE Condish, Generic PM The Conditioner

• curlygirlbeautifulcurlygirlbeautiful Posts: 320Registered Users
    @tillywave

how are u using this? is this a daily moisturizer or a curl cream, deep treat or rinse out?
    The 411:
    Detangle: HE Hydralicious,Inecto Coconut Oil Condis,Yes to Carrots,HE Hello Hydration
    Poo:100% African Black Soap
    DT: molasses, AO HSR, EVOO, coco milk, LustraSilk Shea Butter, castor oil,shea
    Leave-In: Taliah Waajid Protective Mist Bodifier, Qhemet Detangling Ghee,Shea,AO HSR
    Homemade Hair Cream

Please visit my blog: [URL="http://www.kinkycurlymagazine.blogspot.com:wav:"]www.kinkycurlymagazine.blogspot.com[/URL]
  • TillyMunchyWavesTillyMunchyWaves Posts: 671Registered Users
    @tillywave

how are u using this? is this a daily moisturizer or a curl cream, deep treat or rinse out?

This would fall along the lines of a DT or heavier/thick condish you would use after cowashing/lowpooing/whatever (like AOHR.) I think it would be too heavy to be a leave in/curl cream, although if you whip it up good it feels light enough...I usually don't rinse it out all the way, though.
    Wavy, curly on the ends, 2C.
    Coarse to medium textured, porous, dry, and lots of it.
    Shampoo--HSH Pumpkin, Abba Pure Moisture
    LVPNG, HSH Pumpkin, Walgreen's Knockoffs--Condish/Cowash
    AOHR, Nexxus, EO--LI
    CK & ReCoil--Activator
    Suave Max Hold, Alagio Curl-Gel
    For inquiring minds who want to know:
    http://www.public.fotki.com/TillyErnissee
  • Shea-girl-aloeShea-girl-aloe Posts: 280Registered Users
    ~TillyWave~
    Don't know if this will help, but here is what I use to make a really thick avocado hair "butter."

A base conditioner like Earth Science or Nature's Gate blended with equal parts PURE aloe vera gel, not aloe water (I got it from the health food store)

A glop of Mango Butter

Avocado Oil--green

Jojoba Oil

A little glycerin

This recipe comes out pretty smooth and light, but is at the same time buttery and moisturizing when applied. It reminds me of AOHR.

---

One time I put a similar recipe together with honey, coconut milk, and 1/2 of an Avocado that I used as a DT. It worked wonderfully, but kept in the 'fridge for 2 weeks only.

Man! I have to try that! :flower:
    4/b with 4/a kinks at the back of my head. :toothy4:

Keep it kinky, curly, wavy- whatever.
    Just keep it natural and keep it you, from head to toe ^_^ :hippy2: :blob4:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Youtube:
    http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=hollyhollyrose&view=videos

Fotki:
    http://public.fotki.com/shea-girl-aloe/
  • dimples12553dimples12553 Posts: 69Registered Users
    I recently made a very good leave in conditioner. You can find the thread under the 4b category. The subject was looking for a REALLY good creamy leave in conditioner.

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=65082

just in case the above link does not work, I have pasted the recipe below. Hopefully it works for you.

I use it every night when I braid it up prior to going to bead. In the morning, it feels very soft and very managable. The receipe is not too heavy that my hair still blows in the wind. Which would be a good thing if it was not in a medium Angela Davis afro.

4oz unrefined shea butter
    4oz distilled water
    2oz aloe vera gel
    1oz cocoa butter
    1oz jojoba oil
    1oz vitamin E
    1tbsp EV olive oil
    1tbsp organic coconut oil
    1tsp soy lecithin
    50 drops rosemary
    50 drops lavender

I melted the shea butter, coco butter, olive oil, coconut oil, vitamin E together in a glass bowl using a double boiler. DO NOT LET THE MIXTURE BOIL. I added in the lecithin and stirred until disolved. I then added the aloe vera gel and the water and stirred more until it was a consistant mixture.

I took it off the fire and using a hand mixer, I mixed at 5 minute intervals while also placing in the freezer for 10 mins.

This helps to cool the mixture and make it easier to whip. Also during the last pahses of the mixing process, I added the rosemary and the lavender.

You can use any EO that you wish to add fragrance to your mix. I use rosemary since it is a preservative and it stimulates hair growth.

It is done when it looks like pancake batter.
    Dimples12553:afro:
    • Type: 4B, feels more like a 4C
    • Last Relaxer: 6/2001
    • Moisturizer: Raw unrefined shea butter, virgin coconut oil cream
    • Daily Spritz: recipe of Aloe Vera Gel, water & glycerine with some peppermint essential oil for a little tingle
    • Remember HAPPY hair is HEALTHY Hair. :wav:
  • SkibiesSkibies Posts: 156Registered Users

A glop of Mango Butter

Avocado Oil--green

Jojoba Oil

A little glycerin

I use a hand mixer, and it makes all the difference. I don't think a whisk would do the job.
    ---

What color is this when you are finished and also how is the hold, light, medium or extreme?
    3&4 Curls and Corkscrews
    Poo:Marshmallow Shampoo Bar
    Conditioner:Yes To Tomatoes & She Scent It Avocado Conditioner
    Leave-in:QB Burdock Cream
    Styling:QB Amla & Heavy Cream
    Hair Mask:Bentonite Clay
    :afro: *NO MORE HEAT STYLING MY HAIR, JUST LOVING MY HAIR*
    My Blog: http://rizosbonitos.blogspot.com/
  • SkibiesSkibies Posts: 156Registered Users
    [URL]http://shop.texasnaturalsupply.ieasy...ductid=ANCLBC1[/URL]
    for all those that like the DM CoCo Curly butter this is the base.
    3&4 Curls and Corkscrews
    Poo:Marshmallow Shampoo Bar
    Conditioner:Yes To Tomatoes & She Scent It Avocado Conditioner
    Leave-in:QB Burdock Cream
    Styling:QB Amla & Heavy Cream
    Hair Mask:Bentonite Clay
    :afro: *NO MORE HEAT STYLING MY HAIR, JUST LOVING MY HAIR*
    My Blog: http://rizosbonitos.blogspot.com/
  • Curly_JammyCurly_Jammy Posts: 626Registered Users
    Its shea butter, rosehip seed oil, glycerin, carrot oil and fragance, when I mix it I add vit. E also.

Put shea butter in mixing bowl, leave at room temp. until its soft.

Take a hand mixer, and whip it for 10min.

add rosehip oil, glycerin, and carrot oil ( I use jojoba instead)

mix for 2min.

add frangance oil & vit. E

Mix 5 more min., longer if desired

Play with proportions to meet your needs, under pour as a rule of thumb because you can always add more if needed.
    3c, fine, porous,MBL
    Pre: EVCO Poo: GTTT DC:AO GPB, TJ Nourish Spa+EVOO
    LI: Cantu Shea butter LI, YesToCarrots,(AVJ+H2O) Spritz
    Style: AVG, Eco Seal: Qp Mango & Olive oil, Shea AloeMix
  • afrosheenqueenafrosheenqueen Posts: 5,400Registered Users Curl Connoisseur

A glop of Mango Butter

Avocado Oil--green

Jojoba Oil

A little glycerin

---

---

I have tried making straight homeade conditioners, but really I have had good results with Nature's Gate or Earth Science blended first with Aloe Vera Gel. This is the most important thing, I think. The gel makes the conditioner thicker, fluffier, and IMHO ready for the heavier butters and oils. And I think that using a conditioner as a base makes the product last longer and have better texture.

I would guess that the recipe only contains 1/4 store-bought conditioner.

I use a hand-held mixer.

I hope this helps.

Thanks! I'll have to try this out.
    4a/b Texlaxed hair w/ highlights. Medium texture & high porosity.

HG's: CJ Daily Fix, Bobeam Cheris Hibiscus shampoo bar, KC Spiral Spritz, Knot Today, CJ Rehab, KBB LL Hair Mask, Cassia, KCCC, oil blend of Avocado, Camellia, Jojoba, & Meadowfoam oils

SL APL BSL MBL

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file