split end prevention

PetalPetal Posts: 219Registered Users
Is there a way?? I trim my hair often and condition daily, deep condition once a week or so, and avoid too much heat.

Is there anything else I can do to prevent my hair from splitting?? Seriously, my hair is infested with split ends and I dont know what to do.

Any recommendation will be very welcome.. Thanks for reading me!

Indhi
3A-3B mix, medium-thick, prone to splitting. Products: Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose Conditioner, Jojoba oil, Free me freesia conditioner to detangle. Trying to experiment with protein DTs a few times a month.

Comments

• spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,898Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Are you doing the CG routine or any approximation of it? It helped me so much in terms of reducing my number of split ends. My whole head would be FULL of splits about a week or two after a trim. I mean, maybe 95% of my hair would be split. Now, I get hardly any, and I go much longer in between trims. I asked the person who last cut my hair if she saw any splits, and she said no. Prior to CG, every hairstylist was like, "OMG, your hair is fried!!!" I just cut out the sulfate shampoos, and the condition of my hair's so much better.

Now if you're already CG, then I don't know what to tell ya... :lol:

• betweenshadesbetweenshades Posts: 130Registered Users
    ditto to spiderlashes. My hair improved so much after CG.. No split ends!
    Sarah - 3B/C, CG since 11/25/05

DevaCurl and Jessicurl rock my hair care world.

My Hair Journal

tiger.gif
  • CitznMagCitznMag Posts: 66Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Double ditto to spiderlashes. Also, how do you detangle your hair? Brush? Pick? Comb? Fingers? Wet? Dry? Are you hearing it snap a lot when you detangle? Since going strictly CG well over a year ago and tossing out my brushes, I have yet to see a split. I'm looking to grow it past BSL just to see how long it can get (looking to have my little-girl-fantasy hair :), and have tried to keep just to minimal trims to shape it as it grows.
    3b&c mix, CO (most of the time)
    oh, and my hair seems to be growing faster now. :)

My Hair Journal

tiger.gif
  • curlyboricuacurlyboricua Posts: 59Registered Users
    I agree that shampoo really contributes to split ends. I have been shampoosing less like once a month and I noticed that my hair is shinier and less splits. Also, when I blow it out, it looks even better.

Also, if you have long hair, then split ends are inevitable. The farther the hair goes away from your roots, the longer it takes the natural oils to travel there. At a certain point, your hair will be split anyway, usually when the hair is close to waist length.

But avoiding shampoo helps alot.
    Good Luck!
    3b hair and long
  • mangomango Posts: 60Registered Users
    Apart from the stuff people have aleady mentioned, I comb my hair from the bottom up, only when wet.
    3b/c
  • PetalPetal Posts: 219Registered Users
    Thanks so much for your advice girls :)

I'm not CGing, but I'm seriously considering it.

I cut my hair (a lot of it) and I still see splits. I bought almond oil and wheat germ oil at the store, I applied some of the almond oil and my hair feels better, the ends are terrible still, though. I'm going to get a haircut (another one :cry: ) next week.

I'm just very lost when it comes to hair products. I need some high quality stuff. I'm going to start getting salon hair products and mixing with oils.

My hair grows a lot, A LOT (but I end up chopping it twice a year or so because it's so dry and splits so much). I detangle it in the shower, after saturating my hair with conditioner with a huge, wide tooth comb (I use dove extreme moisture and tresemme) and air dry, I do not use styling products of any kind, and usually deep condition twice a week. I just bought a hood dryer to make my deep conditioners more effective.

Where can I find links about the CG routine?? I'm really interested.
    3A-3B mix, medium-thick, prone to splitting. Products: Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose Conditioner, Jojoba oil, Free me freesia conditioner to detangle. Trying to experiment with protein DTs a few times a month.
    well, there's the shampooless board, this LiveJournal Community, and this book.

of course, questions are welcome. :)

My Hair Journal

tiger.gif
  • ColochaColocha Posts: 344Registered Users
    I trim my ends and still have split ends. I´m not on strict CG, but i use low sulfate shampoos. Wash my hair every 3 days or so. Don´t use a brush but a pick. Air dry. And still get split ends...shea butter helps on my hair though.
    "The tongue has the power of life and death, and those who love it will eat its fruit." Proverbs 18:21

Hair type: 3b/c
  • PetalPetal Posts: 219Registered Users
    Colocha wrote:
    I trim my ends and still have split ends. I´m not on strict CG, but i use low sulfate shampoos. Wash my hair every 3 days or so. Don´t use a brush but a pick. Air dry. And still get split ends...shea butter helps on my hair though.

oh well, I guess my hair (like yours) just has a tendency to split... today I shampooed my hair for the last time, and started the CG routine, I hope I see less of the damn splits soon :)
    Colocha wrote:

oh well, I guess my hair (like yours) just has a tendency to split... today I shampooed my hair for the last time, and started the CG routine, I hope I see less of the damn splits soon :)

:wink: :wink:
    "The tongue has the power of life and death, and those who love it will eat its fruit." Proverbs 18:21

• curlykattycurlykatty Posts: 18Registered Users
    I'm new to this so this may sound dumb, but whats CG?

I have split ends too and I want to stop them. I flat iron my hair with the SEDU twice a week. I deep condish once a week and so far, I don't have as many as I use to.
    3B course on the dry side. Still searching for the best gel that will leave my hair feeling soft
    curlykatty wrote:
    I'm new to this so this may sound dumb, but whats CG?

It doesn´t sound dumb. CG stands for Curly Girl, a book written by Lorraine Massey. It basically says that to keep a healthy curly hair the best thing is to "wean" yourself to shampoo. You can basically clean your hair and scalp with conditioner. She also gives you tips on clarifying, DTs, etc.

HTH!

• curlykattycurlykatty Posts: 18Registered Users
    thank you Colocha, I, unfortunetly, have to use the T-gel shampoo by Netrogena often. If not, I have this horrible itch and dandruff like stuff on my scalp, so I have to shampoo at least every 3 - 4 days. betweem straightening Does anyone else have this problem?

I'm going to try to focus on my scalp only and leave the rest alone.
    3B course on the dry side. Still searching for the best gel that will leave my hair feeling soft
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,898Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    curlykatty wrote:
    thank you Colocha, I, unfortunetly, have to use the T-gel shampoo by Netrogena often. If not, I have this horrible itch and dandruff like stuff on my scalp, so I have to shampoo at least every 3 - 4 days. betweem straightening Does anyone else have this problem?

Lorraine Massey addresses this in the book, too. She claims this problem is often rectified by swtching to the Curly Girl routine.

curlykatty wrote:

Lorraine Massey addresses this in the book, too. She claims this problem is often rectified by swtching to the Curly Girl routine.

it depends on the issue.

My Hair Journal

tiger.gif
  • SisaSisa Posts: 759Registered Users
    I'm going to re-post this 'cause I just typed it out over on the 4a board.
    I don't get split ends, and they are common on long hair like mine.

I shampoo with Lanza's Curls and Colour Moisturizing Shampoo, I condition with something cheap, actually - Aussie's Moist Conditioner, and I ALWAYS leave in Abba's Nourishing Leave-on Conditioner and a bit of jojoba oil.

I sleep with a satin cap on, and while it looks silly and curltopia can't be convinced to try wearing one ( :twisted: :wink: ) , I think it really does help, as the hair is not moving around at night.
  • jayjaycurlsjayjaycurls Posts: 1Registered Users
    hey im new to this site!!!
    how do you start a new post or thread(whatever you call it)

i have tons of questions. so my hair is covered in split ends up to my scalp. im thinking about getting hair vitamins to help! do i have to shave my head?
  • NaturalistaNaturalista Posts: 5,491Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    hey im new to this site!!!
    how do you start a new post or thread(whatever you call it)

i have tons of questions. so my hair is covered in split ends up to my scalp. im thinking about getting hair vitamins to help! do i have to shave my head?

Split ends?? Are you using protein treatments to strengthen your hair?? Are you sealing? How are you detangling??

There's a new detangling tool out that folks are swearing by called the "tangle teezer" and it's sold by Sally's Beauty Supply for 10 bucks. Or use a wide toothed comb. Either one works.

- if you're still using heat (blow drying (except diffusing), and flatironing) the splits will persist. Cut down heat processes.

Protein treatments
    - Curl Junkie "Repair Me" is the best one yet! it SOFTENS, DETANGLES AND strengthens all at once. Once every two weeks to monthly for 20 mins at a time should suffice.

Sealing
    - for the existing split ends you have, you need to prevent them from worsening-- particularly in the cold season. I recommend using oils (jojoba, coconut, castor) or butters (shea, mango, tucuma butter). Use these on wet or dry hair before styling to smooth the splits down and keep moisture in the hair.

recs:
    -purchasing the oils as above
    -Karen's Body Beautiful Super Sliky, or Hair Nectar. If your hair tolerates heavier stuff, try her Butter Love (hair butter) or Creamylicious (hair cream).
    - Qhemet Biologics Burdock Root Butter Creme
    -Donna Mair Super Butter creme
    - Oyin Handmade Hair Dew

Hope these things help.
    Type: 3c with some 4a highlighted
    Low porosity thick/coarse texture. nml elasticity
    Routine: No rules, just happy hair

Cleanse: CJDF, Prell, LUSH Curly Wurly, Bobeam
    LI/RO:BBB, CJ, SheaM, HEHIS, Garnier, KBN Shealoe, CD Chocolat, Oyin HH
    Styling: CJ, CR, UFD, Zuresh, Ecostyler,MJ
    PT/DT: BBB, CJ, Lather, MJSSB

HUGE PJJJJJJJJ!!!!:love4: