Trauma to the body and hair change??

Jen12772Jen12772 Posts: 2Registered Users
I was in an accident last April, and in the hospital for a year. My body went thru severe trauma, and my hair started to fall out around July.

I'm not sure when it happened as my hair was the last thing on my mind, but when I got home this April, my hair was curly, and before the accident, I could never curl it with a curling iron and get it to hold, and now this!!

I LOVE it, but I am so not used to it, and it also has seemed to be not as curly as it was before, I'm assuming because it is getting longer. Has anyone heard of this? I tried Goggling this and haven't been able to find out anything.

Comments

• CurlyminxCurlyminx Posts: 5,581Registered Users
    hhmmm.... I'm not sure about trauma, but I will tell you that my hair got curlier as I got began puberty. I had straight straight hair thta one day started to kink on me. And only the front part. (only managed a curl after it was permed. My hair never went back straight). Then again, puberty CAN be traumatic...:toothy10:

Happened to my mother the same way, so I'm sure that your hair can make its own decisions about what it wants to do, but who knows why!

Lucky you! You get the opportunity to have different natural hair types!!

eta: just before posting I remembered something: a secretary upstairs from my office said she had a very slight wave to her hair before, but since having gone trhough chemo, she now has tight little curls.
    tumblr_mk2chrdnQe1qzwi58o1_500.gif
    Mix of 3s, thick, coarse, medium porosity

Current hair styling technique: rake with a scrunch at the end. (works with my coarse hair)

http://public.fotki.com/curlymix/
    pw: curls

Known HGs: KCCC, homemade fsg, honey
  • TashaTashaTashaTasha Posts: 383Registered Users
    Any trauma to your body or heavy physical stress or stress period can cause breakage. When I was 17/18, I had an accident (hit by drunk driver, it was pretty bad), the very next day I had surgery on my eyelide to remove scar tissue, and then the next month I had to have a colonscopy for blood in my stool :(. Needless to say, I had a bad case of alopeocia (sp) after this. I had to stop relaxers and go natural in order to get my hair to grow back. Your hair will grow back with time if you take care of it properly and keep your stress levels down.
  • rainshowerrainshower Posts: 4,420Registered Users
    Jen12772 wrote: »
    I was in an accident last April, and in the hospital for a year. My body went thru severe trauma, and my hair started to fall out around July.

I'm not sure when it happened as my hair was the last thing on my mind, but when I got home this April, my hair was curly, and before the accident, I could never curl it with a curling iron and get it to hold, and now this!!

I LOVE it, but I am so not used to it, and it also has seemed to be not as curly as it was before, I'm assuming because it is getting longer. Has anyone heard of this? I tried Goggling this and haven't been able to find out anything.

if what you are saying is that before your year-long hospitalization due to your accident, your hair was unhealthy and couldn't hold a curl, and then after you returned home, you noticed your hair has a healthy, different texture, i may have a reason why.

if you were on a strict hospital diet, you were probably getting more frequent and well-planned meals and snacks that would offer you all of the vitamins and nutrients that your body needed. that's not saying that you weren't eating healthfully before.

also, if you had any IV's or other fluids to cleanse, restore, or regulate your body's various systems, those agents may have flushed out lots of toxins that could have been lingering in your body for years and hindering your overall health, including healthy hair growth.

additionally, while you were hospitalized, you probably weren't manipulating your hair with products, heat, tension, etc., which can compromise hair health.

my bil was in a terrible accident. he was a drinker and smoker and as a result had permanently bloodshot eyes that were almost brownish and not reddish and nail beds were dark and discolored.

after being on an IV and various fluids in the hospital for just 1 week, his eye whites were almost white-out white and his nail beds were pink and healthy looking.

my mother also said that when her father was hospitalized, she never knew he had curly hair. she also thought it was having a restricted diet and lots of fluids that made his skin look clearer and made his hair texture seemingly change.
    "Dogs stink too, but I like dog stink." ~ rileyb

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file