Adv/Disadv to BC

mixededmixeded Registered Users Posts: 381
Ok this is something I've been wondering about for a while.
Would it technically be healthier for your hair, particularly your ends, if you put off the BC for as long as possible since the relaxed hair acts as sort of a buffer to your natural hair? I mean if we're talking about retaining length then the less your ends are exposed the better, right?
:duckie: Fotki!
Last relaxer: Feb. 2008
Big Chop:
Jan. 2009

Comments

• EstelleEstelle Registered Users Posts: 89
    Hi,

My primary reason for not doing the BC was to retain length. I have transitioned since 17 months. To reply your question, I don't know if it is healthier to put off the BC. What I can say is that the length, I had, helped me a lot with my transition. The BC would not have helped me since I don't know how to deal with very short hair:)

I also want to tell you that your new growth is really beautiful. Are you a 3b?
  • mixededmixeded Registered Users Posts: 381
    Estelle wrote: »
    Hi,

My primary reason for not doing the BC was to retain length. I have transitioned since 17 months. To reply your question, I don't know if it is healthier to put off the BC. What I can say is that the length, I had, helped me a lot with my transition. The BC would not have helped me since I don't know how to deal with very short hair:)

I also want to tell you that your new growth is really beautiful. Are you a 3b?

Thank you Estelle! I'm not sure what I am yet, but I've learned from others here that it's probably best to wait until after the BC to decide on the hair type. :)

Yea, for me personally I'd like more length before I BC as well. I was just wondering about exposure of the ends on some one who BCs early on to some one who transitions for a longer time before chopping it off.
    :duckie: Fotki!
    Last relaxer: Feb. 2008
    Big Chop:
    Jan. 2009
  • rudeechickrudeechick Registered Users Posts: 6,726
    My last Thermal reconditioning was in May of 07. I went curly in May of 08 and suffered thru the staright ends curly roots syndrome. It was not fun and often I would have to use a curling iron to curl my ends to match the rest of the head.

2 weeks ago I cut off the last 3 inches of straightened hair. It is shorter then I like it but still manageable. I'm glad I did it as my hair looks healthier but I do agree, having that length (to stick it up, etc) does help during the transition.
    Curls,Coils,Waves & WhatKnot:geek:
    3miii/My HGs tame bulk&frizz/Give definition w/o crunch
    My Photobucket Album
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    plus - no more straight, no more frizzy/frazzled ends - hair can start curling right away!

non-plus - loss of length.
  • EstelleEstelle Registered Users Posts: 89
    mixeded wrote: »

I was just wondering about exposure of the ends on some one who BCs early on to some one who transitions for a longer time before chopping it off.

I have experienced that the ends can be dry and lifeless.
  • onethousandcurlsonethousandcurls Registered Users Posts: 1,118
    I was thinking of going shorter, not a real BC, but my curly hair is so much thicker and voluminous than my straight hair. So when I bun, my bun would be tiny (straight hair) and everything else would be much bigger (growth).

CG is pretty gentle towards your ends. I read about a curly who went into Devachan for a cut and the stylist couldn't believe she'd gone a year without a trim. So as for saving your curly ends; CG will be kind : )
    3b/c, CG 9/18/08
    Last process: 04/05/08 Big Chop: 08/08/09
    Currently: Herbal Essences Hello Hydration, Herbal Essences Set Me Up gel (summer only), Boots Curl Creme (winter only)
  • cysycacysyca Registered Users Posts: 362
    I believe the advantage to a BC is to get it over with and expose your natural hair. I'm transitioning now and decided to wait at least 1 year but if I had to do this all over again, I would have done it sooner.
    Live For Today!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file