carol's daughter healthy hair butter

curlygirlbeautifulcurlygirlbeautiful Posts: 320Registered Users
happy halloween! I'm only excited bc my 5-yr-old swears today is a holiday lol. anywhoo.......

anyone tried this and have comments? i got a small sample at sephora and used it to do a few twists on dry hair. i released the twists and hair was shiny, soft and there was some twist def even though i only left them in an hour.

here's the real deal: I AM CHEAP! If I can make this or something equivalent, i will. Is it worth the $10.50? Iwould go through that size in 1 month.

Here's what I make at home and loooooove:love3:, but it is not as creamy as CD or as thick.Any ideas how to tweak this recipe to mimic hers. Sorry this is so long

My recipe
shea butter
AVG
Veg Glyc
Grapeseed oil
coconut oil
grapefruit ess oil -the consistency of this mix is like room temp butter. im aiming for thicker and creamy, like CD. Thanks
The 411:
Detangle: HE Hydralicious,Inecto Coconut Oil Condis,Yes to Carrots,HE Hello Hydration
Poo:100% African Black Soap
DT: molasses, AO HSR, EVOO, coco milk, LustraSilk Shea Butter, castor oil,shea
Leave-In: Taliah Waajid Protective Mist Bodifier, Qhemet Detangling Ghee,Shea,AO HSR
Homemade Hair Cream

Please visit my blog: [URL="http://www.kinkycurlymagazine.blogspot.com:wav:"]www.kinkycurlymagazine.blogspot.com[/URL]

Comments

• A_la_Nap-turalA_la_Nap-tural Posts: 409Registered Users
    Maybe you should try using a harder butter. Or try tweaking the amount of oil you use. I found lots of sites with different butters here, and here, and you should search all over this site for anything else you want to mix up. I'd suggest anything with a higher melting point or a soft solid, like Aloe Vera Butter.

Good luck.
    www.thenaturalknowitall.com

www.mixology101.ning.com
    I'm luvin' my natural self FIRST! :love7:

"And if you don't want to be down with me, you don't want to pick from my appletree."-Erykah Badu

event.png

• kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'm not a 4a, but KBB butter is much nicer--and I've used both. KBB is "fresher" and a more natural product.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • msjaimmsjaim Posts: 948Registered Users
    to the op, I havent used carols daughter prods in yrs because I have cheap tendencies as well , especially when I know I can make somthing similar if not better. The ingredients you have listed above seems like one eof the many varieties of shealoe many folks mix up & I LOVE IT. thats one of the main things I use on my hair. I just spent <$30 ( including 7.74 in shipping) on a dozen 8 oz jars , 16 oz of yellow & 16 oz of white ( not refined) shea butter & 16 oz of raw mango butter... I already have coconut oil,herbss & avg at home so I will be making some goodness this weekend. Im an advocate of ppl experimenting w/ their own raw products, because I just can not see myself paying $15 for 5 oz of anyones anything... I also add GSE & vit e oil to my mix so I dont have to keep it in the fridge
  • ShonesShones Posts: 244Registered Users
    msjaim wrote: »
    I also add GSE & vit e oil to my mix so I dont have to keep it in the fridge

What's GSE? Thanks!
    Natural since '97 - 8 yrs loc'ed, free-form since then :)
    Blog: http://curlysweetlife.blogspot.com
    Twitter: ShoniFree
    YouTube: Shonesters
    Fearfully and wonderfully made in His likeness and image
    Here ya go!;)
    grapefruit seed extract:
    Grapefruit seed is prepared in extract form from the seeds, pulp, and white membranes of grapefruits from grapefruit trees (Citrus paradisi). Grapefruit seed extract (GSE) is used as a broad spectrum, non-toxic, antimicrobial compound. The extract comes in two forms, liquid and powder... I use the liquid drops from a co name *NutriBiotic
  • afrikurlafrikurl Posts: 736Registered Users
    msjaim wrote: »
    to the op, I havent used carols daughter prods in yrs because I have cheap tendencies as well , especially when I know I can make somthing similar if not better. The ingredients you have listed above seems like one eof the many varieties of shealoe many folks mix up & I LOVE IT. thats one of the main things I use on my hair. I just spent <$30 ( including 7.74 in shipping) on a dozen 8 oz jars , 16 oz of yellow & 16 oz of white ( not refined) shea butter & 16 oz of raw mango butter... I already have coconut oil,herbss & avg at home so I will be making some goodness this weekend. Im an advocate of ppl experimenting w/ their own raw products, because I just can not see myself paying $15 for 5 oz of anyones anything... I also add GSE & vit e oil to my mix so I dont have to keep it in the fridge

I believe GSE is grapefruit seed extract, a natural antimicrobial.

msjaim Where did you get your butters and stuff from?
    I ordered from www.madinaonline.com.
    I placed my order on 10/28 & the box was just dropped of @ my desk a few moments ago :)
  • shakeshake Posts: 404Registered Users
    i've used it and loves it. don't know why i don't use it anymore.... hmmmmmm....
    comic-p.jpg

http://fotki.com/shake-shake

Peace, Light, and Love

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file