Anyone else found Shampoo bars dont work so well in winter?

kat180kat180 Registered Users Posts: 6,280 Curl Novice
Has anyone else found this? I was using them to great affect before, now suddenly after I washed with CV Nettle one, big poofy, frizz. It has suddenly become unseasonably cold here-so wondering whether my hair cant take them in the winter, though I dont know why that would be. A co-wash sorted my curls out, so I may switch back to co-washing for next few months.

Comments

• kathymackkathymack Registered Users Posts: 9,999 Curl Neophyte
    It's been pretty cold (30/40) here this week, we even had snow one day. It's not winter, but it is cold. I haven't had any problem at all.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • msgibletmsgiblet Registered Users Posts: 5,825
    I think it's too early to tell yet. We've had some cold days, but the real cold & dryness hasn't started quite yet. Is the CV Nettle one you're using the shampoo bar or the regular soap bar? If it's the shampoo bar, maybe you need a little more or a richer conditioner since they aren't as superfatted as the regular soap bars.
    http://public.fotki.com/msgiblet/ - pw: gibber -- Pics Added 7/10/11
    Fine, Thick, Normal Porosity, Normal Elasticity

Countess Balashi of Divi Beach in the Order of the Curly Crusaders :occasion5:

If I'm Going To Have A Bad Hair Day, It Might As Well Be In Aruba!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • NottyNotty Registered Users Posts: 1,456
    Good grief! You guys are at it again!!!! Yes it snowed here.........like 4 inches - even took a tree (still with leaves) down on our deck! This is disgusting weather!!! That being said...........it is cold, dry and yes my hair is showing it..........now I'm a grumpy bear!!!
    :toothy7:between Botticelli & Corkscrew curly-very thick, coarse hair
    http://public.fotki.com/notty6

When I get to be 'Queen of the World', I will absolish WIND!!!:queen:
  • rudeechickrudeechick Registered Users Posts: 6,726
    I couldnt say; I've only been using them under 2 weeks. But they have been my first 2 good hair weeks since summer ended!

I dont know what will happen when it gets bone-dry and frigid, but for now, they have absolutely saved my hair!
    Curls,Coils,Waves & WhatKnot:geek:
    3miii/My HGs tame bulk&frizz/Give definition w/o crunch
    My Photobucket Album
  • kat180kat180 Registered Users Posts: 6,280 Curl Novice
    Maybe the nettle one just dried out my hair too much. The last week or so I have found my hair really wants extra moisture-probably why the co-washing helped so much.
  • DEL2CDEL2C Registered Users Posts: 6,418 Curl Neophyte
    kat180 wrote: »
    Maybe the nettle one just dried out my hair too much. The last week or so I have found my hair really wants extra moisture-probably why the co-washing helped so much.
    I jumped on the shampoo band wagon in the Fall and plan to continue using them. You certainly could alternate your co-washes with bars or use a richer leave in and/or rinse out this time of year. Play up the moisture in your stylers too. :)
    Discovered CG 2007

2C Fia BSL/Thick/Med-Coarse/Low(crown)-Normal Porosity Protein and Oil Sensitive

Link-Spritz & Condish Washing:glasses7:

I'm aCurlJunkieJunky :love4:

My hair LOVES Coconut DESPISES Soap Bars :tongue6:

CJRehab or H&B Fix, Deva NO POO, EO Rose & Cham POO & Condish, CJ CurlFix, CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ CIAB, SS FHG, KCCC, BRHG, AG Mousse Gel, ACV Rinses,Shikakai Conditioning Hair Rinse.
  • CurlyHairedFarmerCurlyHairedFarmer Registered Users Posts: 3,079 Curl Connoisseur
    I just jumped on the bandwagon a week ago so I can't really sya much as my hair is still adjusting. This weather has been murder on my hair. Its frizzy, rough, and loses curl quickly.
    Currently Loving:
    Shampoo: Giovanni 50:50

Conditioners - CJ Strengthening, CJ Beauticurls Argan and Olive Oil, CJ Rehab, CJ Curl Fix

Leave-in: CJ Smoothing

Deep Conditioner: CJ Hibiscus and Banana Deep Fix

Stylers - Tigi Curls Rock Amplifier, AG:Recoil, KCCC, Mop-C Curling Cream, Paul Mitchell Sculpting foam
    I just jumped on the bandwagon a week ago so I can't really sya much as my hair is still adjusting. This weather has been murder on my hair. Its frizzy, rough, and loses curl quickly.
    Ah! Thats exactly what happened to me! My entire "HG" routine went down the tubes!:(

I am finally getting back to normal, shiny, defined 2nd and 3rd day hair!
    My Photobucket Album
  • bunniee23bunniee23 Registered Users Posts: 228
    kat180 wrote: »

I've found that it helps to experiment, and switch shampoo bars according to what my hair needs. One that makes my hair weighed down during the summer might be perfect for cooler weather.
    Type 2b. Wash: WEN pomegranate or fig. Leave-in conditioner: Alaffia beautiful curls for wavy hair, Spiral Solutions Protein spray. Style: Curls In A Bottle, Ecostyler, or KCCC.
  • CurlyHairedFarmerCurlyHairedFarmer Registered Users Posts: 3,079 Curl Connoisseur
    rudeechick wrote: »
    Ah! Thats exactly what happened to me! My entire "HG" routine went down the tubes!:(

I envy you! I am still struggling as to what to use. My hair seems to loathe leave-ins and creams in general. Gel is too drying in this weather I guess.
    Currently Loving:

Conditioners - CJ Strengthening, CJ Beauticurls Argan and Olive Oil, CJ Rehab, CJ Curl Fix

Stylers - Tigi Curls Rock Amplifier, AG:Recoil, KCCC, Mop-C Curling Cream, Paul Mitchell Sculpting foam

I envy you! I am still struggling as to what to use. My hair seems to loathe leave-ins and creams in general. Gel is too drying in this weather I guess.
    Ya gotta just keep playing. Did you try poo bars? How about a [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] or Boots type product - not as drying as gel....
    My Photobucket Album

Ya gotta just keep playing. Did you try poo bars? How about a [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] or Boots type product - not as drying as gel....

I am using 2 shampoo bars in rotation that I recieved from Kathymack. [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] is way too expensive for me, I can't justify it. I have never had any luck with creams! Mousse tends to be what my hair craves most of the time.
    Currently Loving:

• DEL2CDEL2C Registered Users Posts: 6,418 Curl Neophyte

I am using 2 shampoo bars in rotation that I recieved from Kathymack. [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] is way too expensive for me, I can't justify it. I have never had any luck with creams! Mousse tends to be what my hair craves most of the time.
    Keep an eye on the swaps carmen, it's worth a try. Post it as "wanted" too. It does "seem" expensive but it really isn't considering the size of the tub. It's very concentrated too that tub could last you a year easily. This product is really unique and if it works for you, it will be worth it. The consisitency of [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] is not a cream, I used to think so too. Even Boots is not really a cream it's like a cream/gel also unique although some have compared it to LOOB minus the "cones".
    Discovered CG 2007

2C Fia BSL/Thick/Med-Coarse/Low(crown)-Normal Porosity Protein and Oil Sensitive

Link-Spritz & Condish Washing:glasses7:

I'm aCurlJunkieJunky :love4:

My hair LOVES Coconut DESPISES Soap Bars :tongue6:

CJRehab or H&B Fix, Deva NO POO, EO Rose & Cham POO & Condish, CJ CurlFix, CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ CIAB, SS FHG, KCCC, BRHG, AG Mousse Gel, ACV Rinses,Shikakai Conditioning Hair Rinse.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file