Growth

saskennsaskenn Posts: 18Registered Users
Hi Ladies
I've been natural for 6 yrs now, I do color my hair. Seeing that I've been natural all of these years you'd think I would've retained growth. The nape are has frown petty good but my front and sides are stagnant. I'm wondering if any of you have had this problem? I want a nice full head of curls, and I'm getting restless. Any suggestions?

Comments

• KinkyPJKinkyPJ Posts: 297Registered Users
    Interesting topic. I'm in a similar situation; I've been natural for 3 years and the back growths really fast but the sides seem to take a bit longer. I started taking msm, biotin and silica but it's too soon to tell if they are working. You should research these supplements and see if it's something you'd like to explore. Keep me posted.

HTH
    It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it [:afro:]. The hard... is what makes it great. -- Tom Hanks in A League of Their Own

If you judge people, you have no time to love them. -- Mother Teresa
  • A_la_Nap-turalA_la_Nap-tural Posts: 409Registered Users
    A lot of the ladies are using Mega-tek, myself included. Miriag used it on areas where she'd had a scissor fit and it made those patches catch up to the rest of her hair in length. I've only been using it for 2 days, on my edges and some short spots, and my edges are filling in. You may want to try it. There's a thread on here about it. If you're thinking about it, buy some garlic pills and start taking them before you start the mega-tek.
    www.thenaturalknowitall.com

www.mixology101.ning.com
    I'm luvin' my natural self FIRST! :love7:

"And if you don't want to be down with me, you don't want to pick from my appletree."-Erykah Badu

event.png

• mariag002mariag002 Posts: 3,557Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    A lot of the ladies are using Mega-tek, myself included. Miriag used it on areas where she'd had a scissor fit and it made those patches catch up to the rest of her hair in length. I've only been using it for 2 days, on my edges and some short spots, and my edges are filling in. You may want to try it. There's a thread on here about it. If you're thinking about it, buy some garlic pills and start taking them before you start the mega-tek.

OMG not only did you butcher my name, you make me sound crazy as hell!!! :toothy10:
    - Maria

Big Chop: 9/23/07
    Relaxer free for almost 5 years!

• subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
    could it be that your hair is growing, but you just cant tell?
    my hair, while curly, looks the exact same length as it did 3 yrs ago. but you can see the difference when i straighten/stretch a curl. even when its straightened though, alot of times i feel like it hasnt shown any growth, but then i compare pics and have visual proof that it has.
    since i color my hair too, i can look at my roots to see and measure how much growth ive had. recently my growth has slowed drastically because my hormomes are finally going back to normal after having a baby. im going to try msm soon. ive tried biotin in the past but didnt see any above average results.
    also, could it be an issue with retaining length instead of growth? if you have split ends or breakge, that could prevent you from being able to see any growth.
    mariag002 wrote: »

OMG not only did you butcher my name, you make me sound crazy as hell!!! :toothy10:

Ummm... about the spelling... My bad! I didn't mean to make you sound crazy either... Isn't that what happened, or am I thinking of someone else? If you're crazy, then I'm crazy too cuz I'm scissor happy and will quickly chop it all off myself with no regrets! I've done it several times, my friend, several times :wink:

www.mixology101.ning.com

"And if you don't want to be down with me, you don't want to pick from my appletree."-Erykah Badu

event.png

• ParatyParaty Posts: 394Registered Users
    I have the same issue with the front and sides of my hair too. I also color (ed) and won't be coloring again, but like subbrock I used the two diff. colors to examine my growth.There is a drastic difference between the back of my hair (almost 2 inches of black new growth) and the front of my hair (.5-.75 inch max). When I use the flash on a camera I can see even clearer that the very front and sides of my hair are still the brassy brown color that I died it with little trace of black new growth? I think it's a small combination of not retaining length, but mostly just diff. growth rates. I was hoping that if they were going to have diff. rates, they would at least grow the same pace so that I could maintain an even hair shape. However I seem to be growing a mullet :roll:
    Hair • Wellness • Style Blog

Routine: Cleanse Kenra Clarifying, Deep Co with Matrix Biolage Balm + oil (EVOO, avocado, KCPP or Wild Growth oil),:glasses1:Style with Matrix Biolage Balm + KCPP; or Aloe water + KCPP + KCCC; or CR Almond Jai + styler (KCCC, KCPP or Treluxe Hi Def gel); or Treluxe combo (Treluxe UK leave-in, KCPP, Treluxe Hi Def gel); or Eco gel alone (Argan or Olive). Avoiding Buildup with low glycerin, coconut, shea, honey, non-keratin protein.
  • CottonCandyCurlsCottonCandyCurls Posts: 344Registered Users
    I've noticed that a lot of people on this forum and other have a coarser texture on the sides. It could just be different sections have different textures and growth rates. Or we are doing something that affects the moisture content and breakage. My theory is the latter. How you put shampoo/conditioner in your hair, and how you sleep.

The only section of my hair I never have to worry about doesn't rub against anything and gets washed last with probably less shampoo/conditioner. I sleep on either side, and put shampoo/conditioner in the front and side sections first. I don't know just an idea.
  • saskennsaskenn Posts: 18Registered Users
    Thanks ladies for the advice. My sister is a stylist and she has a ton of clients that are taking phyto vitamins and their hair's growing like crazy. I just bought some today...it's $$. I've already tried MSM, biotin etc. MSM upsets my stomach. What's megatek and where can I get it?

Again thanks for the help:love3:
    You can get the mega-tek here.

Also, there's an article on how hair grows. Everyone's hair grows @ different rates b/c different follicle patches are in different stages of growth... read more on it here. While some are resting, others are growing, others are shedding, and others are starting up a new hair. That may explain why your back and middle grow faster. Just a guess... If you're going to use the mega-tek, make sure you take garlic pills as some complain about shedding and this will help combat that. I would start taking them prior to adding mega-tek to your routine. If you start using it, and it seems like it's drying your hair, I would mix it with a carrier oil. I'm using avocado and emu oil in my mix. I'm also taking garlic pills (odorless) and grapeseed extract. Good stuff :thumright:

www.mixology101.ning.com

event.png

• saskennsaskenn Posts: 18Registered Users
    So are many of you really experiencing good growth from megatek? I'm a PJ who needs help:toothy10: so I dont need to purchase anything else unless im sure I will get good results.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file