Limp, Dull hair

Please help!!! I've been CG for a couple weeks and my hair has been awesome...until a few days ago - now it's dull, limp, dry, feels kinda crispy, and doesn't curl. I recently added in shampoo bars (from Kathy Mac) & ACV rinses, so I'm assuming this is the issue, but everyone else has had such awesome luck with the shampoo bars...

Previously, this was my routine:
-Co-wash with suave naturals conditoner
-condition with Giovani 50:50 - rinse out
-a small amount of Giovani 50:50 & honey as a leave in
-LOOB
-AVG
-L'Oreal curl activating spray gel

The only change I made was to use shampoo bars instead of the co-wash and then do an ACV rinse

Should I just go back to my old routine? should I try some sort of overnight conditioning? could I be overconditioned? Could it be buildup from the LOOB, even though the cone in there is water-soluable?

Thanks for your help!!!
3a Fiii, CG since 10/10/08

Easily Overconditioned

Cleaning - alternate b/w poo bars/ACV rinse or cowash with Suave or V05

Rinse Out: anything Giovanni, L'oreal Nutri Gloss

Leave In: Conditioner/honey/h20 mixed in a spray bottle

Styling Prods: LOOB, LA Looks Sport, L'oreal TW, HESMU, KCCC

1st Day: add prod, scrunch with a tshirt, plop 10-15 mins, scrunch, add spray gel, diffuse till mostly dry

2nd Day: Aloe/H20 in spray bottle, scrunch & diffuse

(fav products bolded)

Comments

• kathymackkathymack Registered Users Posts: 9,999 Curl Neophyte
    My hair doesn't like honey as a styling product. It makes it dull and limp if I put it in anything but a DT type product. I also can't use AVG with a lot of other products, it makes my hair feel "gunky." This was before the soap bars--and I'm sure it would be worse now because I use even less product. I find I don't need as much product with the bars. I do a rinse out, a tiny bit of leave in (KBB nectar or Giovanni Direct, anything else is too heavy) and a curl creme--no gel. Are you still doing all of the other things. Could be too much product, or too heavy? Just a guess.

What happens on the days you don't use the bars?
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • violetcurlsvioletcurls Registered Users Posts: 434 Curl Neophyte
    I think this happened to me after being CG for a while. I think I switched conditioners for a little bit and that helped a little. I may be completely off, though. Sorry I can't help more.
    3a/b ?

Unleash the curls!

Nobody move! I dropped me brain. ~Jack Sparrow
  • infpgirlinfpgirl Registered Users Posts: 47
    Thanks for your replies! days in between washings I pretty much had to just wear my hair up. I did a DT last night - mixed conditioner, olive oil, and honey and left it on my hair for about an hour then just co-washed, used LOOB and the spray gel and went to bed with it wet. it looks SO much better this morning! I just spritzed and added a little AVG for the frizz and it looks great today - shiny, bouncy, curly... So I think my hair just got dried out from the new routine. Is there anything in the shampoo bars that I could be sensitive to? Though I'm leaning more towards the ACV being the issue. I did dilute it waaaay down - like 1/2 tsp to a cup and a half water, and I rinsed it out after letting it sit for a few minutes. I know I read that the ACV is important after poo bars to close the cuticle... is there something else I could try for this? I'd love for the poo bars to work - I like being able to lather. :)

Easily Overconditioned

1st Day: add prod, scrunch with a tshirt, plop 10-15 mins, scrunch, add spray gel, diffuse till mostly dry

(fav products bolded)
    Try not letting the ACV sit. I probably leave it in less than a minute--and that's putting my KBB milk over it. I also use the raw, organic ACV (I use Braggs, but others have found cheaper brands) you get at the health food store. It's cloudy and still has the mother. I think it helps with my curl formation.
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    so put on the ACV then the KBB milk and then rinse them both out? I'll get some raw, organic ACV this weekend when we go shopping and see if that works better... but I'm afraid to try it again!! :)

Easily Overconditioned

(fav products bolded)
    Just don't keep the ACV in that long. You may want to put it in and rinse it right out. Then do your KBB rinse out.
    SE PA

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ZigaZagaZigaZaga Registered Users Posts: 473
    I can't see it being the AVC rinse at all. Half a tsp. in a cup and a half of water is not much. Very very mild (infact I would think you are not using enough to counter the soap residue). Shampoo bars are very alkaline. I would tend to blame the bar especially if your routine was working before you used bars. And you noticed going back to co-washing fixed things.

But it might be the adjusting to bars that you are going through. I have seen that mentioned a lot.
    -3A?
    -Fine, ii (almost iii) thickness
    -salon pintura and natural sun-made highlights combo
    -CG since October 2007, rare occasional low poo.
    -Growing it out
    click here for fotki pics
    -pw: ziggy
  • WurlyLoxWurlyLox Registered Users Posts: 4,858 Curl Neophyte
    kathymack wrote: »
    Just don't keep the ACV in that long. You may want to put it in and rinse it right out. Then do your KBB rinse out.

That's what I do - mix 1 T. ACV to a cup of water, slowly drizzle it thru (between washing and rinse-out conditioner), squish it around to distribute it, immediately rinse it then proceed with my routine. My hair doesn't like honey in styling products either, and I personally don't ever use KBB milk or nectar as a rinse out, always as a leave-in. It doesn't take much - usually one small pump of either is plenty.

When I use AVG, it's always the first thing I apply out of the shower - before my leave-in, LOOB, gel, whatever.

As for LOOB, I find it and Tightly Wound drying if I use them all the time, especially the latter.

I'm still not using 'poo bars yet, so maybe everything's different with them.
    2C/3A/3B - modified CG - fairly fine now, normal/low porosity/normal elasticity

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated or Aim2Health 'poos for scalp, Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite,CJ Pattern Pusha,, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing w/360o diffuser then clips/clamps & air dry. Newly gray - stopped my henna glosses!

www.fotki.com/auntnett
  • BBBB Registered Users Posts: 475
    There is a thread about this in the 2 section - I discovered leave in was making my hair limp, even a tiny bit. My hair is a lot healthier now and it doesn't need it, I guess. Try your routine without it and see what happens.
    A coward is incapable of exhibiting love; it is the prerogative of the brave.

-Mohandas Gandhi
  • WurlyLoxWurlyLox Registered Users Posts: 4,858 Curl Neophyte
    BB wrote: »
    There is a thread about this in the 2 section - I discovered leave in was making my hair limp, even a tiny bit. My hair is a lot healthier now and it doesn't need it, I guess. Try your routine without it and see what happens.

Oh, definitely. I'm more 3a than 2, and I don't use a leave-in all the time. I just go by how it seemed with it the last time I washed it, plus I'm beginning to be able to just tell by how it feels when I get out of the shower. Can't really explain how, though . . . :goofy:
    2C/3A/3B - modified CG - fairly fine now, normal/low porosity/normal elasticity

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated or Aim2Health 'poos for scalp, Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite,CJ Pattern Pusha,, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing w/360o diffuser then clips/clamps & air dry. Newly gray - stopped my henna glosses!

www.fotki.com/auntnett
    Hmm... thanks for the replies! I think that since the DT brought my hair back to life, though - that I really do need the leave in. Without it, my hair gets kinda bushy. I'll try leaving the ACV on just a very short amount of time and see how that goes. If it still doesn't work, what other options are there for closing the cuticle?

Easily Overconditioned

(fav products bolded)
  • BotticelliBabeBotticelliBabe Registered Users Posts: 1,574 Curl Neophyte
    Have you considered it might be the PEG-modified cone in the LOOB giving you problems? I know Rudee has major issues with it, even though it's supposed to be water soluble - I'm sure she's one of many. Try clarifying and then not using the LOOB, and see what happens.
    BB

35ncsigpic-vi.jpg
    http://www.BotticelliBotanicals.etsy.com
    BSL/Mid Back, thick 3a/b

Botticelli Botanicals Meringue
    Botticelli Botanicals Smoothie
    Botticelli Botanicals Styling Mudd w/ double avocado oil and double agave
    Botticelli Botanicals Lime in the Coconut Butter
    Hmmm I really think its the ACV. I went back to my old routine for a while and my hair looked pretty good. This morning I tried the ACV after a cowash (wanted to try it without the poo bars so I could narrow it down to one or the other) and my hair is frizzy with no defined curls. That's the only thing I did differently than when I was getting good hair days...

Easily Overconditioned

(fav products bolded)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file