janelle monae in essence

curlygirlbeautifulcurlygirlbeautiful Posts: 320Registered Users
her updo is haute!

any one have any ideas as to what products to use for the slicked sides, and hold in the front?

also, look at how nicely her edges are laid down. im jockin her. i want this to be my holiday hair:queen:
The 411:
Detangle: HE Hydralicious,Inecto Coconut Oil Condis,Yes to Carrots,HE Hello Hydration
Poo:100% African Black Soap
DT: molasses, AO HSR, EVOO, coco milk, LustraSilk Shea Butter, castor oil,shea
Leave-In: Taliah Waajid Protective Mist Bodifier, Qhemet Detangling Ghee,Shea,AO HSR
Homemade Hair Cream

Please visit my blog: [URL="http://www.kinkycurlymagazine.blogspot.com:wav:"]www.kinkycurlymagazine.blogspot.com[/URL]

Comments

• luvmylocsluvmylocs Posts: 7,578Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    is it the one with beyonce on the cover? i'm behind 2 months on reading essence. i must say they've been doing a better job at hair diversity!
    a dreamy pisces :fish:
    please recycle, it matters...
    i change lives...through fitness
    i'm more relaxed being natural
  • subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
    post a pic!
  • afrosheenqueenafrosheenqueen Posts: 5,400Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    From her MySpace

7157Janelle-Monae---Essence---November-2008---PG-2.jpg
    4a/b Texlaxed hair w/ highlights. Medium texture & high porosity.

HG's: CJ Daily Fix, Bobeam Cheris Hibiscus shampoo bar, KC Spiral Spritz, Knot Today, CJ Rehab, KBB LL Hair Mask, Cassia, KCCC, oil blend of Avocado, Camellia, Jojoba, & Meadowfoam oils

SL APL BSL MBL
  • DangerBlakeyDangerBlakey Posts: 49Registered Users
    I love her signature style and music!
  • mariag002mariag002 Posts: 3,557Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Here's another picture
    i11_janelle3_article.jpg

I'm not familiar with her music, but I've seen her pics online
    - Maria

Big Chop: 9/23/07
    Relaxer free for almost 5 years!

• KinkyPJKinkyPJ Posts: 297Registered Users
    She's so purrrrrrty. I only found out about her like two weeks ago, yeah I know I'm totally out of the loop. I wasn't sure if she was natural so I didn't want to add her to my hair inspirations. She's now at the top of my list. You fro girl!
    It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it [:afro:]. The hard... is what makes it great. -- Tom Hanks in A League of Their Own

If you judge people, you have no time to love them. -- Mother Teresa
  • KinkyPJKinkyPJ Posts: 297Registered Users
    her updo is haute!

any one have any ideas as to what products to use for the slicked sides, and hold in the front?

also, look at how nicely her edges are laid down. im jockin her. i want this to be my holiday hair:queen:

Try the Oganic Roots lock & twist gel. The hold is amazing.:toothy10:
    It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it [:afro:]. The hard... is what makes it great. -- Tom Hanks in A League of Their Own

If you judge people, you have no time to love them. -- Mother Teresa
  • nocomanlasfloresnocomanlasflores Posts: 83Registered Users
    I'm soooo glad that people are finding about JM. I've loved both her style and her music for so long, it warms my heart that people are beginning to appreciate her.

(part of me hopes that she makes this pompadour thing socially acceptable, but I know I could never pull it off so well).
    4a? Maybe. With some 3c too.

http://public.fotki.com/nocomanlasflores/
    New pics added 5/19/09

I like second day hair better than first :wink:
    Usual routine is Elucence, Giovanni Direct, Fantasia IC.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mycolorfulheartmycolorfulheart Posts: 158Registered Users
    I love her!!

Most of the music on my mp3 player is just cheap pop music, but she is an actual ARTIST. And her style is too cool.

I also decided if i ever have a kid (a girl) I'd name her Janelle because that's the prettiest name ever. :D
  • momo7momo7 Posts: 478Registered Users
    JM's music iz off the hook! Some of my faves are "Sincerely Jane", "Peachtree" (her voice reminds me a little of Dinah Washington there), "Cindi", and "Many Moons".
  • luvmylocsluvmylocs Posts: 7,578Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    do y'all think that brown gel from back in the day (i think it's cg) would work for keeping the sides back to create this style?
    a dreamy pisces :fish:
    please recycle, it matters...
    i change lives...through fitness
    i'm more relaxed being natural
  • momo7momo7 Posts: 478Registered Users
    I think it would. I know when I used to use Fantasia IC gel (especially the clear one) my sides were ALWAYS slicked (but I didn't like the build up).
  • natashamcknatashamck Posts: 434Registered Users
    momo7 wrote: »
    JM's music iz off the hook! Some of my faves are "Sincerely Jane", "Peachtree" (her voice reminds me a little of Dinah Washington there), "Cindi", and "Many Moons".

Sincerely Jane is one of my favorites! I wonder how many hair pins she has to use to get that updo just right?
    mostly coarse texture, normal porosity... I think?
    HG: Generic Matrix Biolage, KCCC, KCKT, CBSS WSHP

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file