Great website - high end makeup and their drugstore dupes

helloitsiohelloitsio Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Curl Connoisseur
Yesterday, my sister complimented me on the blush I was wearing (Milani's "Luminous") and noted that the color was similar to NARS' famous "Orgasm" blush. Well, last night my sister decided to investigate for cheaper alternatives to the makeup she uses (she's spent a small fortune on NARS blushes alone) and stumbled across this great webpage that I just had to share:

http://www.beautybrief.com/article_1.html
title_article_1.gif
Most of us don't have an endless supply of cash to support our beauty product habits. Luckily, the popularity of certain higher-end brands has prompted lower-end lines to come up with copycat shades. I've put together a list of some expensive products and their cheaper, drugstore look-alikes. This way, you can test out shades without spending a fortune. The list is by no means comprehensive, but it should help ease the strain on your wallet.

I already knew that the Milani was a NARS dupe (thanks MUA!) and now I'm aching to head over to Walgreens to attack the makeup aisle.

The way I see it, I'm fine with going econo on makeup items like mascara, eyeshadow, blush, lipstick and lipgloss. I won't skimp on skincare items and powder since they're the foundations of good skin. Also, the less you have to spend on makeup, the more you get to spend on hair goodies! :thumbup:
2 b/c :: slight protein sensitivity :: med/coarse texture :: normal porosity

http://public.fotki.com/Helloitsio/
http://skinandhairjunkie.wordpress.com/

Comments

• rouquinnerouquinne Registered Users Posts: 13,737 Curl Connoisseur
    most Milani eye shadows are duplicates of MAC colours!
    My blog:

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
  • ninja dogninja dog Registered Users Posts: 23,780 Curl Neophyte
    Thanks! Great tips.
  • realisticrealistic Registered Users Posts: 2,222 Curl Novice
    /glares at ninja dog's avatar......

(sorry for the guano)
    Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth. I sat at a table where were rich food and wine in abundance, and obsequious attendance, but sincerity and truth were not;
    and I went away hungry from the inhospitable board.
    -Henry David Thoreau
    Holy Isis, Realistic! Can there be two us dedicated to fighting crime in a bustier?
  • realisticrealistic Registered Users Posts: 2,222 Curl Novice
    :boxing:

;)

:laughing6:
    Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth. I sat at a table where were rich food and wine in abundance, and obsequious attendance, but sincerity and truth were not;
    and I went away hungry from the inhospitable board.
    -Henry David Thoreau
    I have morphed into my alternate form, that of a baboon. I can now better swing from trees to fight evil.
  • BoomygrrlBoomygrrl Registered Users Posts: 4,940 Curl Neophyte
    I also found something helpful. If you use Urban Decay Primer Potion for your eyes, you can use cheap eyeshadow. The UDPP is expensive but it's a good investment. It lasts me several months. I can wear drugstore eyeshadow and not worry about it fading (not too much, at least..I have extremely oily lids).
    That's right, I said it! I wear scrunchies!!

I am a sulfate washing, cone slabbing, curly lovin' s.o.b. The CG police haven't caught me yet.
    :blob8:

3a/3b
  • MimsTXMimsTX Registered Users Posts: 3,482 Curl Neophyte
    Boomygrrl wrote: »
    I also found something helpful. If you use Urban Decay Primer Potion for your eyes, you can use cheap eyeshadow. The UDPP is expensive but it's a good investment. It lasts me several months. I can wear drugstore eyeshadow and not worry about it fading (not too much, at least..I have extremely oily lids).

I LOVE that stuff. I got a bit in an Urban Decay shadow box, and it's awesome. Benefit's Lemon Aid works well as a primer too (and it's color correction for those circles too :))
    CG/Mod CG (soap bars) since 8/12/08
    CO wash/Cond: Kathymack & Flowermoon Castille soap bars, V05 Chamomile Tea, Suave Ocean Breeze, Biolage Conditioning Balm
    Styling loves: DIFFUSING! CK, KCNT, KCCC, FOTE (on dry hair only), Re:coil, Proclaim gel
    Not sure about: Boots, Tweek, KBB Milk, DMHJ
    HATE: plopping, FOTE on wet hair, BRHG
  • rouquinnerouquinne Registered Users Posts: 13,737 Curl Connoisseur
    ^^^ i LOVE Lemon Aid!!
    My blog:

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
  • happy-girlhappy-girl Registered Users Posts: 208
    Originally Posted by Boomygrrl viewpost.gif I also found something helpful. If you use Urban Decay Primer Potion for your eyes, you can use cheap eyeshadow. The UDPP is expensive but it's a good investment. It lasts me several months. I can wear drugstore eyeshadow and not worry about it fading (not too much, at least..I have extremely oily lids).

CANNOT live without that stuff. You're so right.
    Mid-back length 3a, red.
    Currently using: Joico, Redken, LA Looks Curl Look gel, BRHG.
  • KindredsTwin1983KindredsTwin1983 Registered Users Posts: 347
    Thanks for this.

When it comes to foundations, I still think MAC is the best. However I'm all about finding cheap alternatives to eyeshadows, lipsticks, etcs.
    Hair Type - 3c, with a touch of 4a and a touch of 3b

Favorite Detangler - Any conditioner with high amount of behentrimonium mehtosulfate

Favorite Leave-in Conditioners - Suave Coconut, Giovanni Smooth and Silk and Giovanni Direct Leave-in, Pantene Relaxed and Natural

Favorite Hair Moisturizers - Silk Elements Hairdress

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file