Heat damage and recovery (also posted on 3c)

FleurztyFleurzty Posts: 795Registered Users
It started a month ago. Mind you, I barely ever straighten my hair, but :angry7:. I decided to wear it straight for one weekend and what do you know, the stylist caused some major damage to my hair. I felt it from the very next day as my scalp would hurt when I tried to take down my wrap. When I washed my hair, it felt crisp and burned. I tried to DT for a week and when it wasn't getting any better, I cut off all the damaged ends, which was about 6-7 inches:cry:.

I have been doing henna treatments and other deep treatments to help my hair recover. The cut really helped a lot and the henna results are amazing. My hair feels and acts a lot better already. I think I got rid of all the damaged parts.

On a brighter note, while picking up my henna, I stumbled upon a Amla hair oil mix that is very moisturizing. I am not one to use oils for any purpose other than pre-wash occasionally, but lately I have been using this oil with great results. It adds moisture back to the hair after washing and protects the ends. I find that it works nearly as well as Nourish-n-Shine for a fraction of the price. I have added the pics to my Fall 08 album as well as the ingredients for the Amla oil.

Now, questions! I am trying to find a heavier leave-in conditioner than my BWC. I picked up a bottle of Giovanni 50:50 while at the store today and was wondering if any one had any success using it as a leave-in conditioner. Any other suggestions would be great!

Comments

• TLMMMTLMMM Posts: 457Registered Users
    welcome to my world. I had so much heat damage I lost about 50% of my hair. I've been babying it with henna and dt's and its starting to grow in/be healthy again.

I'm using [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Weekly-Deep-Conditioning-Treatment-p-106.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-weekly-deep-conditioner-treatment]jessicurl wdt[/buylink] as a leave in and the difference has been amazing.
  • Ashkins1118Ashkins1118 Posts: 786Registered Users
    Hi Fleurtzy!

Ive used the 50/50 in my hair as a leave in with oil before, especially in the summer, with pretty good results. Right now, my #1 leave in has been Qhemet Alma and Olive Heavy Cream. My hair loves it and stays softer than with anything else I have tried. It is very heavy, so you dont have to use alot. the moisture and shine is great, it is almost beyond HG status! This will always be in my product line up.

It is good that you are nursing your hair back to health. Like TLMMM, I also recommend the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Weekly-Deep-Conditioning-Treatment-p-106.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-weekly-deep-conditioner-treatment]Jessicurl WDT[/buylink], its awesome.
    Super Thick corkscrews and waves. LOVE Elucence MBC, Giovanni 50/50 condish, Qhemet Products, V05 Calming Chamomile Tea Therapy condish, Jessicurl WDT. These are my official HG's that I love oh so much
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Curlypad?feature=mhum

comic-p.jpg
  • KynnibKynnib Posts: 999Registered Users
    4a hair. MOD CG routine.

Present Loves
    -Back on the (rajasthani) henna train! My hair is so much better now.
    -KBB hair butter mixed with Hairveda Cocasta oil
    -Spiral Solutions Deeply Decadent
  • unique4meunique4me Posts: 135Registered Users
    Fleurzty, You have been my hair idol, so I hope I can help. Curlynikki suggested Herbal Essence Hello Hydration and I started using this abt two weeks ago and my hair has been so soft. I rinse it out, but leave a little in, then apply Giovanni leave in direct.
    Another curly-head is Empressri, who started using Qhemet Biologics new detangler called Cocoa tree detangling Ghee. I understand this is a great leave-in and detangler. I ordered this product this week, so will give you an update after I try it.
    I hope some of these suggestions restore your hair back to its healthy state.
    Hair type 4a
  • unique4meunique4me Posts: 135Registered Users
    delete
    Hair type 4a
  • FleurztyFleurzty Posts: 795Registered Users
    TLMMM, sorry about your experience. Having been there, I know it's difficult. I will order the Jessicurl DT and see what results I get.

Ashkins, I might have to give Qhemet another try. I used their products a couple years and it was way too heavy for my hair. Everyone is raving about the results that they get, so this might just be a product that I have to revisit.

Unique, thank you so much for the suggestions and compliments. I appreciate it!

Thank you ladies!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file