I need a new hair product!!!

makemesmile29makemesmile29 Posts: 42Registered Users
I'm a caucasian 13 year old with I think 4 a hair. I'm looking for a hair product to help the frizz. Can I use african american hair products? I only wash my hair once every 2 weeks. I wet it down with conditioner every am and was putting LA Looks hair gel on my hair, but I get such a build up. Please help me find a new hair product.
CLAIRE <3

Comments

• KynnibKynnib Posts: 999Registered Users
    Have you tried Hair Polisher Styling Gel with Sparkle Lites by Fantasia IC? It gets rave reviews on this site. If you want to splurge than [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Knot-Today-p-207.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-knot-today-leaveindetangler]Kinky curly knot today[/buylink] plus [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]Kinky curly curling custard[/buylink]. Its expensive but its worth it. Jessicurl products are also nice. Your hair is beautiful by the way.
    4a hair. MOD CG routine.

Present Loves
    -Back on the (rajasthani) henna train! My hair is so much better now.
    -KBB hair butter mixed with Hairveda Cocasta oil
    -Spiral Solutions Deeply Decadent
  • aricurlaricurl Posts: 304Registered Users
    Welcome sweety. Love your curls!!

I wouldn't get too caught up in looking for products for 'black' hair. Focus on what is good for your hair. There are some black-owned product lines that I love/hate and it's the same for white-owned products. I don't think you will need a lot of oils that African hair needs. Try experimenting with 100% aloe vera gel. Giovanni and Alba can be purchased at Whole Foods. Jessicurl is nice as well. All have nice leave-in conditioners, which will help define your curls. Of course there are many other product lines people on this board like, but those are reasonably priced and easier to get without having to buy on-line. Good Luck.
    http://public.fotki.com/aricurl/
    PW: twelve

My Routine.
    Weekly Cleansers: Co-Wash - Suave Coconut or Yes to Cucumbers and Trader Joe's Nourish Spa. Giovanni 50-50 poo on scalp only.
    Moisturizers: Mix of Giovanni Direct with AO Honey Suckle; KCKT; Jamaican Castor Oil, water.
    Sealers: My whipped raw shea butter/oil blend.
    Scalp Oil: Jojoba, Rosemary, Horsetail, Burdock Root, Aloe Vera Gel
    Hairstyle: Protective.

Henndigo occasionally.
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Hi! You look more like a 3c, but your hair may be dry and therefore puffy. If you are getting build up maybe change that conditioner. It may have silicones. Some really good conditioners that are also great leave-ins and are cone-free:

Robert Craig conditioner
    [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Elucence-Moisture-Balancing-Conditioner-p-39.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=elucence-elucence-moisture-balancing-conditioner]Elucence Moisture Balancing Conditioner[/buylink]
    John Masters Citrus & Neroli Conditoner
    Kinky curly Knot today ( a leave-in)

Good gel is [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]Kinky Curly Curling custard[/buylink], and I also equally love Theraneem Leaf & Aloe Gel; it's great for my hair.

Very lovely lotionymoisturizing leave-ins from Karen's Body Beautiful - Hair Milk and Hair nectar. Also Alba Botanical Leave-in, Beauty Without Cruelty leave in - both at Whole Foods for under $10.00 MOP Leave-in is another good one. Use any of these under gel.

And the king and quen of creamy butters (also good leave-ins in small quantities) - Jane Carter Nourish & Shine; Qhemet Burdock Root Butter Cream.

Most products in the Ethnic hair section have mineral oil as like the #1 or #2 ingredient. Not. good.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • mycolorfulheartmycolorfulheart Posts: 158Registered Users
    Swimgal29 wrote: »
    I'm a caucasian 13 year old with I think 4 a hair. I'm looking for a hair product to help the frizz. Can I use african american hair products? I only wash my hair once every 2 weeks. I wet it down with conditioner every am and was putting LA Looks hair gel on my hair, but I get such a build up. Please help me find a new hair product.

The main difference between African American hair products and White products is that sometimes it's hard to find moisturizers when browsing through White products. They are there though, just not as many. And yes you can use any kind of hair stuff as long as it works for you! Like Suburbanbushbabe said though, beware of mineral oil! It seems helpful at first but actually chokes your hair and doesn't let real moisture in. It can also be called Paraffinum Liquidum or Petrolatum on the ingredient list.
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    You are just too cute! The ladies have given you some great product advice. I'm not a 4a, but I thought I'd chime in, too. Your hair looks really dry. Something that might really help those curls pop is regular DTs (Deep Treatments.) You can do a search for some good ideas, but I'll start you off. Depending what's in the kitchen, you can use 1/4-1/2c inexpensive conditioner and add 1-2 T of honey and a few T of a good oil--olive, sunflower, safflower. If there's coconut milk ($1 a can at the supermarket) you can do that too--put in 1/4 c and freeze the rest in 1/4c packs. Put DT in hair and put on a cheap shower cap. Leave it on a while or sleep with it--rinse it out. Coconut oil is also great--only use the unrefined kind you get at Whole Foods or health food store. You could probably put little bits of the butters or oil in your hair at night and let it soak in.

Try to stay with more natural products. The fewer chemicals, the less chance you have of selecting a product that has things that aren't good for your hair.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
    your hair looks too cute, and id say youre probably a 3c as well.

but to be honest, there really isnt such a thing as white/black products, theyre just marketed more toward white/black people. in my house, we use [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Elucence-Moisture-Balancing-Conditioner-p-39.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=elucence-elucence-moisture-balancing-conditioner]elucence moisture balancing conditioner[/buylink] and add a bit of oil to it (grapeseed oil is very light and you can buy it at the grocery store) as a leave in. my SO is white and has thick coarse 2a/b hair and im black with thin fine 3c hair but that combo works really well for both of us because its so moisturizing. i only shampoo my hair with a natural sulfate free shampoo once a week, but he shampoos once every 3 days or so. and like the other ladies mentioned [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]kinky curly curling custard[/buylink] is wonderful and so is aloe vera gel.
  • makemesmile29makemesmile29 Posts: 42Registered Users
    [FONT=function (value) { var i; for (i=0; i < this.length; i++) { if (this === value) { return true; } } return false; }]Thanks for all your advice it was really helpful,[/FONT]
    [FONT=function (value) { var i; for (i=0; i < this.length; i++) { if (this === value) { return true; } } return false; }]and thanks for all the nice compliments!!![/FONT]
    [FONT=function (value) { var i; for (i=0; i < this.length; i++) { if (this === value) { return true; } } return false; }][/FONT]
    [FONT=function (value) { var i; for (i=0; i < this.length; i++) { if (this === value) { return true; } } return false; }][/FONT]
    [FONT=function (value) { var i; for (i=0; i < this.length; i++) { if (this === value) { return true; } } return false; }]Swimgal29:afro:[/FONT]
    [FONT=function (value) { var i; for (i=0; i < this.length; i++) { if (this === value) { return true; } } return false; }]Let Your Real Curl Shine![/FONT]
    CLAIRE <3
  • smokindivasmokindiva Posts: 90Registered Users
    You can also check out Biracial hair site Tons of information and helpful tidbits.
    "In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."
    -MLK

Loves: Henna, Amla, Rhassoul clay, avocado butter, aloe vera gel, flax seed gel and castor oil.
  • FrizzBgoneFrizzBgone Posts: 2,678Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    ITA agree with ignoring the whole "white vs black hair" thing. Some of the products I have had amazing luck with lately can be purchased at www.afrokinks.com

I am a white woman with lots of 3a and some 3b curls. My curls are nowhere near as tight as your's are. Even with the looser curl, the products that many of the 4a's are using still work well for me. Kinky Curly, Komaza, Curls By Sister Smith all have great lines and are natural products.

Do you use a leave-in? If I don't use a good leave-in conditioner, it doesn't matter if I use amazing products I'll still get frizz. KBB Nectar is a wonderful leave-in that seems to work on all hair types.

Good luck ... your hair will be even more beautiful before you know it
    Type: 3a fine & dense,with normal porosity, terrible product junkie
    ROUTINE: LI, enhancer, gel, plop with Curlease towel, serum product (either CIAB or Gel-les'c), clip & diffuse.
    Too many favourite products to list ... I finally have my routine that works and alot of products to choose from. My product stash is huge, but well loved !!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file