Anyone here had success with no pooing?

Jaguar PawJaguar Paw Posts: 199Registered Users
If so, what's your no poo regimen?

I've been reluctant to do this b/c I am conditioned (no pun intended) to using shampoo with the peace of mind that my hair was getting clean. I don't use abrasive shampoos (no sulfates) so I still wash with them. I am interested in no pooing and I wanted to know what you ladies think of it. Thanks

Comments

• empressriempressri Posts: 4,812Registered Users
    It worked well when I did it! Now if you use super heavy things on your hair...you can find natural alternatives to conventional shampoos, but no pooing is nice. Leaves your hair smooth and tangle free.
    Lady Hasytal in the Land of Product in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    "Trust is knowing your SO would do the right thing in the face of strange vagina." Nej
    [/B]
  • KynnibKynnib Posts: 999Registered Users
    It keeps my hair from tangling while i wash and it helps keep it moisturized. I apply conditioner to my scalp and through my hair, then i let it sit for a few mins while i shower, then i thoroughly massage my scalp with my fingers pad, and then rinse out. To make sure its clean i scratch my scalp in a few random areas and it there is gunk under my nails i will redo it.
    4a hair. MOD CG routine.

Present Loves
    -Back on the (rajasthani) henna train! My hair is so much better now.
    -KBB hair butter mixed with Hairveda Cocasta oil
    -Spiral Solutions Deeply Decadent
  • KitathenaKitathena Posts: 1,666Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'm also a big fan of no pooing. If I feel I need to, I use diluted castille soap, but that's not too often these days. I also think it makes my scalp less dry and itchy. My hair stays nice and moisturized. I wish I'd started doing this years ago.
    00f0fe4a-6e80-4412-94d4-a8bc465cb7ae_zps1be28d8c.jpg?t=1377261778
    My blogs: NewlyNatural.com
    My fotki pw:hair
  • jeamariajeamaria Posts: 1,851Registered Users
    At first it didn't work for me, now my hair can't cope without it. My hair feels so violated when I shampoo, lol; I guess since I hardly use silicones anymore I don't have much stubborn buildup so the surfactants get to work on my hair shaft instead. This usually gives my hair a roughened feel, sulfate or not. I'm always shocked when I use a shampoo to clarify; I'm now so used to my hair feeling stronger and smoother after I wash it, rather than stripped.

I should say that I am not completely poo-less; I shampoo once or twice a month since I started using castor oil, but prior to that, I was shampooing every 3-4 months with no buildup problems in between.

For me the keys to making co-washing work right are:

Finding the right conditioner. It has to have some slip, light moisturizing ability, and rinse cleanly.

Using a lot of it. Since it doesn't foam much it's harder to spread through the hair so a few handfuls works for me.

Letting it sit. With conditioner having weaker surfactants, they need a little time to work, rather than removing buildup immediately, so I leave it in for like 2 minutes before rinsing.

Massaging the scalp well. I make sure I give my scalp a gentle, but vigorous rub. I haven't had any problems with scalp residue since I stopped using certain buildup-prone, non CG products.
  • cclark1cclark1 Posts: 346Registered Users
    I love it. I only poo when I henna. It works really well for me. My hair is soft and well moisturized.
    Dare to be......remarkable!!!
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I love it. I only wash my hair with a superfatted soap bar maybe every 3rd or 4th wash. I use either Suave naturals or Generic Value Matrix conditioning balm. Or sometimes MOP leave-in. With the conditioning balm and leave-in, the detangling is a done deal.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • curlygirlbeautifulcurlygirlbeautiful Posts: 320Registered Users
    I definitely wish i knew of this method years ago. I would have let my natural hair grow instead of always wearing it cut low like a boy. Now its like a new head of hair, no joke. its never been this soft. Even my mom swears I have a chem/text in it. I told her just 'juices and berries" lol, no literally. If u dont use products with cones, or gels, there wont be much build up and u should have success with this method.

This is my routine (modified for the cold weather- 38 deg in the ATL!)

1. pre poo overnight b4 washing with 50/50 coco/olive oil mix. i like to wrap my hair in saran wrap

2. co wash with paul mitchell instant moisture-my new fave!!! or origins knot free or avalon organics aloe. use same method as shampooing-lather, massage scalp

3. detangle with large plastic comb while hair is soaking wet

* u can also clarify with 1 tb baking soda in 1 c water, pour over hair, leave 3 min, massage and rinse.

4. Rinse. i like to add a little more while soaking wet and leave in

5. wrap hair in t shirt not a towel not to dry just to stop dripping

6. apply products- i dont use gels. i do 2 strand twist so thats where i get my curl def. HTH
    The 411:
    Detangle: HE Hydralicious,Inecto Coconut Oil Condis,Yes to Carrots,HE Hello Hydration
    Poo:100% African Black Soap
    DT: molasses, AO HSR, EVOO, coco milk, LustraSilk Shea Butter, castor oil,shea
    Leave-In: Taliah Waajid Protective Mist Bodifier, Qhemet Detangling Ghee,Shea,AO HSR
    Homemade Hair Cream

Please visit my blog: [URL="http://www.kinkycurlymagazine.blogspot.com:wav:"]www.kinkycurlymagazine.blogspot.com[/URL]
  • ParatyParaty Posts: 394Registered Users
    I no poo every now and then, but I'm mostly a low-pooer, esp. since I've been wearing twist and braids a lot. Does anyone find that they need something stronger when wearing twists and braids? When my scalp is exposed I seem to need something stronger than a no-poo unless I'm co-washing with brown sugar added to exfoliate. If I do co-wash in these styles, I have to do it at least every 2 days and this always frizzes out my twists/braids. With the low-poo I can go 2-3 days without washing my hair.

Jeamarie, what conditioners have you found do the best for co-washing? I use Suave and I like it, but I'm always looking for something with better lather so that I'm scrubbing with more than just cream and water (a la Suave sometimes). :happy3:
    Hair • Wellness • Style Blog

Routine: Cleanse Kenra Clarifying, Deep Co with Matrix Biolage Balm + oil (EVOO, avocado, KCPP or Wild Growth oil),:glasses1:Style with Matrix Biolage Balm + KCPP; or Aloe water + KCPP + KCCC; or CR Almond Jai + styler (KCCC, KCPP or Treluxe Hi Def gel); or Treluxe combo (Treluxe UK leave-in, KCPP, Treluxe Hi Def gel); or Eco gel alone (Argan or Olive). Avoiding Buildup with low glycerin, coconut, shea, honey, non-keratin protein.
  • dxwashdxwash Posts: 245Registered Users
    I used other natural alternatives to clean my hair. I do co wash almost daily with TJ nourish but about once a week i either use a calcium bentonite mask as a detoxifier or follow my co wash with a ACV or baking soda rinse. I have also tried cleansing my hair with a tea (Alma, Shikaki, Arithia, and Neem).
  • luvmylocsluvmylocs Posts: 7,578Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    jeamaria wrote: »
    For me the keys to making co-washing work right are:

Finding the right conditioner. It has to have some slip, light moisturizing ability, and rinse cleanly.

Using a lot of it. Since it doesn't foam much it's harder to spread through the hair so a few handfuls works for me.

Letting it sit. With conditioner having weaker surfactants, they need a little time to work, rather than removing buildup immediately, so I leave it in for like 2 minutes before rinsing.

Massaging the scalp well. I make sure I give my scalp a gentle, but vigorous rub. I haven't had any problems with scalp residue since I stopped using certain buildup-prone, non CG products.

excellent advice and i agree totally
    a dreamy pisces :fish:
    please recycle, it matters...
    i change lives...through fitness
    i'm more relaxed being natural
  • mariag002mariag002 Posts: 3,557Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    It took me a while to do the no-poo method. Now when I DO use shampoo my hair feels extremely dry. I overloaded on shampoo a month ago (I was trying a new product) and wow my hair took a few days to go back to how "normal" (moisturized). I now only co-wash and use shampoo maybe once a month when I feel I have too much build-up. I thought my hair would feel dirty, on the contrary! I wet my hair almost every day so its always clean.
    - Maria

Big Chop: 9/23/07
    Relaxer free for almost 5 years!

• curlicurli Posts: 857Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I only poo when I henna.. When I do poo I use Kera Care or CON. To me those two will have my hair tangle free..
  • subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
    i used to no poo exclusively, and it worked quite well. but i always keep a natural sulfate free shampoo on hand because my scalp gets a bit itchy and thats the only cure.
  • TashaTashaTashaTasha Posts: 383Registered Users
    I sweat a lot so I no poo more often than I poo. When I no poo I do let the condish sit on my hair in the shower, usually for more than 2 mins or til I'm done relishing in the warm water ;) then I rinse out. I wash with Castile soap and I use very little, because that stuff foams up a lot. Lots of bubbles, always equals dryness.
  • jeamariajeamaria Posts: 1,851Registered Users
    @Paraty: My favorite, hands down is Inecto Coconut Oil Conditioner. It exactly fulfils the criteria I mentioned in my post. Out of the Suaves, my favorite cleanser is the Strawberry one. I was shocked by the amount of foam it produces; I thought I had picked up the shampoo instead! But it's not as moisturizing as the Inecto.
  • KynnibKynnib Posts: 999Registered Users
    jeamaria wrote: »
    @Paraty: My favorite, hands down is Inecto Coconut Oil Conditioner. It exactly fulfils the criteria I mentioned in my post. Out of the Suaves, my favorite cleanser is the Strawberry one. I was shocked by the amount of foam it produces; I thought I had picked up the shampoo instead! But it's not as moisturizing as the Inecto.

I LOOOOOVE inecto. That and trader joes is the best conditioner for CO washing.
    4a hair. MOD CG routine.

Present Loves
    -Back on the (rajasthani) henna train! My hair is so much better now.
    -KBB hair butter mixed with Hairveda Cocasta oil
    -Spiral Solutions Deeply Decadent

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file