Help with Robert Craig

curly01curly01 Posts: 284Registered Users Curl Neophyte
I have very dark brown hair and am thinking of switching from natural instincts to Robert Craig. I have emailed Karin for assistance, but thought it would help to ask here too!

Has anyone else with dark brown used RC, and if so what shade do you use? I wouldn't mind having some reddish tones mixed in too, but I'm not sure about mixing colors on my first try. Karin suggested mixing two of the browns though (5 and 6).

Also, can you go back to semi-perm after using RC color? And is it ok to put RC perm color over semi-perm color?

Any feedback would be sooo helpful! Thanks a lot.

Comments

  • CaliforniaWavyCaliforniaWavy Posts: 158Registered Users
    I have dark brown hair and used RC for the first time about a month ago. It turned out nice. I had been having my hair highlighted and/or colored for many years, so I had color in my hair when I did it. I mixed two shades as well, at the recommendation of Karin. I wanted to darken my highlights and bring my hair back to more of it's natural dark brown color. It had been getting lighter and lighter with all the coloring. I used #2 & #16. It turned out pretty dark, which I like. The thing you have to be careful of is that RC can darken pretty quickly, especially over chemically processed hair. I did a strand test first with the mix Karin recommended (3/4 #16 & 1/4 #2). I checked it after 10 minutes and it didn't seem like it was darkening enough for me, so I re-tested with 1/2 and 1/2 and that seemed better. I left it on only for about 20 minutes as it was getting dark pretty fast. I was very happy with the color. I did have some fading within the first few weeks though, which apparently is not a common thing with RC. I think maybe if I would have left the original mixture on much longer, it might have darkened up enough and made it more permanent. But overall, I really like RC and it made my hair feel nice and look shiny afterwards. Just remember, you can always go darker. So, even if the mixture that Karin recommends seems light (definitely did in my case), it probably won't be. Just be sure to do a strand test. That way you aren't stuck with a color you don't like. CurliLocks on this board is very knowledgeable with RC and she was very helpful to me, so hopefully she will respond also to your post.

    Good luck!
    Mod CG since 9/08
    2b/2c Thick Hair
    Fotki: http://public.fotki.com/CaliforniaWavy/

    pw: wavy

    Currently using:
    Wash/Co-wash: Suave Naturals Coconut, Giovanni TTT, Elucence MB
    Conditioner: Kenra Moisturizing, Generic Biolage Balm
    Deep Treatment: Jessicurl WDT or GVP mixed with olive oil
    Styling faves: Giovanni DLI, KBB products, Boots, MOP Curl Cream, KCCC, HEBE
    Current Color: Salon highlights



  • CurliLocksCurliLocks Posts: 10,573Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    curly01 wrote: »

    Also, can you go back to semi-perm after using RC color? And is it ok to put RC perm color over semi-perm color?

    I would suggest you start with just #5 Coffee Brown if you have very dark brown hair. Like CaWavy said, you can always go darker next time, if needed, but I doubt you'd need to. I switched over 10 yrs ago from Natural Instincts to RC's Color. :) Much better! The best thing is that RC's does not lift your natural color, so when it fades, you are not left with brassy haircolor. :) So you can go from NI to RC, and back if necessary (but you won't want to!) ;)

    Take a look at my photo album for color reference. All of the photos from Jan 2002 and before are with Coffee Brown. Photos more recent than 2002 are with #7 Golden Chestnut. I switched because I felt it was getting too dark for me (I have to leave it on 50 min or so for resistant gray).

    Both Coffee Brown and Golden Chestnut will add (or let through naturally) a little warmth to your color.

    How dark is your hair? Do you have photos? I can help you choose a color, if you'd like, I'm pretty good at matching curlies to RC's Colors. :)
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
  • curly01curly01 Posts: 284Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    CurliLocks wrote: »
    curly01 wrote: »

    Also, can you go back to semi-perm after using RC color? And is it ok to put RC perm color over semi-perm color?

    I would suggest you start with just #5 Coffee Brown if you have very dark brown hair. Like CaWavy said, you can always go darker next time, if needed, but I doubt you'd need to. I switched over 10 yrs ago from Natural Instincts to RC's Color. :) Much better! The best thing is that RC's does not lift your natural color, so when it fades, you are not left with brassy haircolor. :) So you can go from NI to RC, and back if necessary (but you won't want to!) ;)

    Take a look at my photo album for color reference. All of the photos from Jan 2002 and before are with Coffee Brown. Photos more recent than 2002 are with #7 Golden Chestnut. I switched because I felt it was getting too dark for me (I have to leave it on 50 min or so for resistant gray).

    Both Coffee Brown and Golden Chestnut will add (or let through naturally) a little warmth to your color.

    How dark is your hair? Do you have photos? I can help you choose a color, if you'd like, I'm pretty good at matching curlies to RC's Colors. :)

    Thank you both so much for your replies!
    Curlilocks - my hair is about the same color as your hair in the darkest hair photos. (BTW -Your hair is beautiful). My goal is to cover some resistant grays, but thankfully I don't have that many of them, yet.
    Without getting too dark. Most dark brown colors, even in salons, turn out black on my hair.
    It looks like you went from 5 into 7. Did you ever try 6? Both colors really look nice on you!
    In the 7 photos, it does seem quite a bit darker than the swatch that RC shows for 7.
    I'm wondering if I should maybe try 6 or 7.
    What happens if 7 is too light? Does it just cover grays and the rest of the hair stays the same as it is? That could work for me. Or possibly 6? Or a combo of some sort? So confusing!

    When switching from the NI, would you suggest starting with RC on my whole head for the entire time or mostly on the roots and pulling it thru for the last few minutes? My hair is really short - only about 3-4 inches at its longest due to my recent very short cut.
    I last colored 4 weeks ago, and my grays are already coming out. I'm thinking that pulling it thru to the ends for only a few minutes may not cover the grays since they go thoughout the length, not just the roots.
    Wow - sorry for such a long post! I really appreciate the help!!
  • CurliLocksCurliLocks Posts: 10,573Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Yes, I have used #6. I was using it for my roots only, but it was getting too dark too. And I'm getting lazy and don't want to deal with 2 or more colors anymore. One color, one box, roots and ends. :D I have also tried 8, which is actually darker than 7. I like the warmer tones I get with 7.

    If your hair gets that dark with color, then I would suggest trying 7 first. It will cover the gray, or at least blend it into natural highlights (that's what it does for me, and I like it---multi-toned hair). :) If your hair is that short, and you have visible gray in the length, then you could do the whole head the first time. But only do roots after that. Be sure to strand test for your best timing, include some grays in there.

    If it's not dark enough, or you don't like the coverage, then you can go darker next time. HTH
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
  • curly01curly01 Posts: 284Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    CurliLocks wrote: »
    Yes, I have used #6. I was using it for my roots only, but it was getting too dark too. And I'm getting lazy and don't want to deal with 2 or more colors anymore. One color, one box, roots and ends. :D I have also tried 8, which is actually darker than 7. I like the warmer tones I get with 7.

    If your hair gets that dark with color, then I would suggest trying 7 first. It will cover the gray, or at least blend it into natural highlights (that's what it does for me, and I like it---multi-toned hair). :) If your hair is that short, and you have visible gray in the length, then you could do the whole head the first time. But only do roots after that. Be sure to strand test for your best timing, include some grays in there.

    If it's not dark enough, or you don't like the coverage, then you can go darker next time. HTH

    Thanks so much! That really helps me! I think I'll go ahead and order the 7 and see how that goes. I'd much rather not deal with mixing. Since RC color is supposed to be very gentle I guess I could go darker soon after coloring if need be. As long as the gray gets covered and it doesn't turn too dark or orange or something I'll be fine with it.
    Do you ever use the clear just for shine? That seems like something nice to do between colorings if the color is starting to fade a bit.

    Thanks again!!
  • ScrappyTamScrappyTam Posts: 470Registered Users
    I have been thinking of doing some coloring to get rid of my gray. I don't have lots, but with my dark hair, it really stands out. What color would you recommend for me?

    attachment.php?attachmentid=1958&d=1224010896

    attachment.php?attachmentid=1959&d=1224010913


    BTW, the flash does seem to lighten my hair by quite a bit. At least to me anyway.
    I almost threw my ovaries at him. - Trenell


    avatar136370_12.gif
  • CurliLocksCurliLocks Posts: 10,573Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    curly01 wrote: »
    Do you ever use the clear just for shine? That seems like something nice to do between colorings if the color is starting to fade a bit.
    I have used it, it's nice to do when the color may be fading a bit to perk it up, or to lock in the color a week or so later. But I don't do it often, the color usually lasts fairly well. :) Good luck!
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
  • CurliLocksCurliLocks Posts: 10,573Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    ScrappyTam wrote: »
    I have been thinking of doing some coloring to get rid of my gray. I don't have lots, but with my dark hair, it really stands out. What color would you recommend for me?

    BTW, the flash does seem to lighten my hair by quite a bit. At least to me anyway.

    Try taking a picture further away, so the flash doesn't lighten it so much. Or do you have a photo in natural light? I know how hard it is to get a good photo of color. Which RC swatch looks closest to your natural color? It looks like Light or Golden Chestnut, is that accurate? Do you want a neutral color, or golden or reddish tones? LMK. :)
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
  • ScrappyTamScrappyTam Posts: 470Registered Users
    Yikes! The flash did lighten it up!! I'm nowhere near a light or golden chestnut. I'm in the ash/chocolate/coffee part of brown.

    I'm looking for something to cover the gray/white. My hair is so dark, especially on top where the grays are, that they really stand out. I'm looking for something that has some reddish undertones and something that won't be so noticeable if I don't color again.

    (I've not colored my hair in any way in the past 15 or so years, so I'm not sure how much effort I want to put into it. KWIM?)
    I almost threw my ovaries at him. - Trenell


    avatar136370_12.gif
  • CurliLocksCurliLocks Posts: 10,573Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    ScrappyTam wrote: »
    Yikes! The flash did lighten it up!! I'm nowhere near a light or golden chestnut. I'm in the ash/chocolate/coffee part of brown.

    I'm looking for something to cover the gray/white. My hair is so dark, especially on top where the grays are, that they really stand out. I'm looking for something that has some reddish undertones and something that won't be so noticeable if I don't color again.

    (I've not colored my hair in any way in the past 15 or so years, so I'm not sure how much effort I want to put into it. KWIM?)
    You could start with the #5 Coffee Brown, or even go with #7 Golden Chestnut. You can leave it on longer with #7 without getting too dark. If it's a little too light, you can go darker next time, but the grays should at least turn to a warm light brown and blend.

    Is your hair darker than my hair? About the same?
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
  • curly01curly01 Posts: 284Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I did a strand test with #7 and it came out great. Covered the gray and didn't get too dark. So I applied and left it on for the same 45 minutes. Overall I'm really happy with it. There were some grays that blended into a med brown, but unfortunately some are still gray:-( I can't figure out how that happened, but maybe I need to leave it on even longer for the stubborn grays along my hairline. I got the impression that 45 min is the max suggested time though.

    When I need to re-color I may try a mix of some sort.
    I'm not sure exactly what though.
    Karin says that 7 and 12 go together well and that 6 and 11 go together. I like the idea of auburn tones, just not sure which of those combos are best for me. Don't know if the 7/11 combo will show up enough on dark hair.

    Anyway, I just wanted to post an update!
  • CaliforniaWavyCaliforniaWavy Posts: 158Registered Users
    Yay!!! Glad it worked out for you.:blob7:

    I think you can actually leave it on longer than 45 minutes. I believe I remember CurliLocks saying that she leaves hers on for 50-60 minutes (and she is the RC expert!). If it covered many of them, I would think a bit longer would help to get those remaining ones. You can always do it again and leave it on logner - you don't have to wait. It won't damage your hair.

    Glad you were happy overall.
    Mod CG since 9/08
    2b/2c Thick Hair
    Fotki: http://public.fotki.com/CaliforniaWavy/

    pw: wavy

    Currently using:
    Wash/Co-wash: Suave Naturals Coconut, Giovanni TTT, Elucence MB
    Conditioner: Kenra Moisturizing, Generic Biolage Balm
    Deep Treatment: Jessicurl WDT or GVP mixed with olive oil
    Styling faves: Giovanni DLI, KBB products, Boots, MOP Curl Cream, KCCC, HEBE
    Current Color: Salon highlights



  • curly01curly01 Posts: 284Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Yay!!! Glad it worked out for you.:blob7:

    I think you can actually leave it on longer than 45 minutes. I believe I remember CurliLocks saying that she leaves hers on for 50-60 minutes (and she is the RC expert!). If it covered many of them, I would think a bit longer would help to get those remaining ones. You can always do it again and leave it on logner - you don't have to wait. It won't damage your hair.

    Glad you were happy overall.

    Thanks! I think I'll wait a couple of weeks and then try to re-apply a bit around my temple area, leaving it on a bit longer.
  • CurliLocksCurliLocks Posts: 10,573Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I'm glad it worked well for most of the hair, sorry to hear it didn't cover all the grays. Sometimes I have some that just don't seem to get covered, but I think I don't apply thick enough and it doesn't soak in or dries up. Next time, try mixing another fresh batch of color and apply to those troublesome spots about 15 min after the first batch. You can mix 1/2 the bottle, then 1/2 again. RC says this gives it a double dose of the strongest mix. Try that and see if it helps. I forgot to do that the last 2 times, it helps.

    If that doesn't work, you could try using #8 or 6.

    Good luck! :)
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
  • curly01curly01 Posts: 284Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    CurliLocks wrote: »
    I'm glad it worked well for most of the hair, sorry to hear it didn't cover all the grays. Sometimes I have some that just don't seem to get covered, but I think I don't apply thick enough and it doesn't soak in or dries up. Next time, try mixing another fresh batch of color and apply to those troublesome spots about 15 min after the first batch. You can mix 1/2 the bottle, then 1/2 again. RC says this gives it a double dose of the strongest mix. Try that and see if it helps. I forgot to do that the last 2 times, it helps.

    If that doesn't work, you could try using #8 or 6.

    Good luck! :)

    That's a good tip, thanks!
    And thanks again for all of your help along the way!
    Getting started with the RC colors can be a bit overwhelming and you made it a lot easier for me!

    I ordered the 6 when I ordered the 7, so I could try that one next time. I don't think I'm going to do anything yet though. The grays that were left behind are noticeable enough for me to color again yet.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file