Member of the Scissor Happy Club

CottonCandyCurlsCottonCandyCurls Posts: 344Registered Users
Clearly I'm not doing the right things for my raggedy ends. But even when they are okay, I feel the urge to snip snip snip. Anyone else have this habit? Any tips for maintaining length and taking care of ends? It's starting to get cold.

Comments

• CurlyminxCurlyminx Posts: 5,581Registered Users
    hehe... while I'm not a 4, I definitely can relate. I have a pair of scissors that I am constantly using to cut the tips of my hair. :banghead: (in fact, I used them less than 2 minutes ago!)

I'm gonna keep my eye on this post and see what you hear!!
    tumblr_mk2chrdnQe1qzwi58o1_500.gif
    Mix of 3s, thick, coarse, medium porosity

Current hair styling technique: rake with a scrunch at the end. (works with my coarse hair)

http://public.fotki.com/curlymix/
    pw: curls

Known HGs: KCCC, homemade fsg, honey
  • A_la_Nap-turalA_la_Nap-tural Posts: 409Registered Users
    Have you tried wearing protective styles? You can apply butters (or something else that's heavy) to your ends, girls here say that helps. When your hair is wet, you should definitely apply something to your ends to seal the moisture in. If your hair is long enough, you may want to try the 2-strand twists and use the butter to seal your ends. I would say moisture is the key to ridding yourself of raggedy ends.

I'm scissor happy too.... I didn't transition, I just BC'd all at once. I go postal sometimes, but that's another thread....

To retain your length, I suggest getting into a routine of wearing your hair in protective styles at least 3-4 days out of the week (especially in the cold season), "dusting" maybe every 6-8 weeks, and moisture, moisture, moisture = anit-breakage.

Good luck:thumright:
    www.thenaturalknowitall.com

www.mixology101.ning.com
    I'm luvin' my natural self FIRST! :love7:

"And if you don't want to be down with me, you don't want to pick from my appletree."-Erykah Badu

event.png

• KynnibKynnib Posts: 999Registered Users
    yes. i get bored and find myself cutting my hair even though i have no split ends. Im trying to grow my hair BSL so its so hard for me to not do it anymore. I think it will help if i get braids or something. I protect my ends by applying a product with a lot of beeswax to the last few inches of my hair. Some hair beeswax but its been a savior for me. I also keep my head in plastic cap. It helps to keep the dry weather from drying out my hair.
    4a hair. MOD CG routine.

Present Loves
    -Back on the (rajasthani) henna train! My hair is so much better now.
    -KBB hair butter mixed with Hairveda Cocasta oil
    -Spiral Solutions Deeply Decadent
  • CottonCandyCurlsCottonCandyCurls Posts: 344Registered Users
    Kynnib wrote: »
    yes. i get bored and find myself cutting my hair even though i have no split ends. Im trying to grow my hair BSL so its so hard for me to not do it anymore. I think it will help if i get braids or something. I protect my ends by applying a product with a lot of beeswax to the last few inches of my hair. Some hair beeswax but its been a savior for me. I also keep my head in plastic cap. It helps to keep the dry weather from drying out my hair.

This is exactly what I do. I just feel the urge to cut. I've cut off about 6 inches in the last 6 months just playing around with my hair. Braids work really well if applied properly, probably because its no manipulation. But my hair texture has changed to something finer and I don't want to risk breakage from braids.

I've started to put butters and oils on my ends and wrap them up. But protective styles get a little boring after a while. I like to wear my hair out. How long should I do protective styles for?
    Have you tried wearing protective styles? You can apply butters (or something else that's heavy) to your ends, girls here say that helps. When your hair is wet, you should definitely apply something to your ends to seal the moisture in. If your hair is long enough, you may want to try the 2-strand twists and use the butter to seal your ends. I would say moisture is the key to ridding yourself of raggedy ends.

I'm scissor happy too.... I didn't transition, I just BC'd all at once. I go postal sometimes, but that's another thread....

To retain your length, I suggest getting into a routine of wearing your hair in protective styles at least 3-4 days out of the week (especially in the cold season), "dusting" maybe every 6-8 weeks, and moisture, moisture, moisture = anit-breakage.

Good luck:thumright:

Thanks. I probably shouldn't have said raggedy it was kind of dramatic to say. Mostly my hair is just dry and I know the shampoo that started this mess. It's kind of sad how little attention I paid to moisture before. So I guess I'm getting my just desserts. How hair stayed on my head I don't know. Ahh you answered my question I just posted to Kynnib. Thanks again.
  • curlynikkicurlynikki Posts: 2,420Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    haha, up until a couple of months ago, I use to keep a pair of hair scissor in my purse!!! Horrible. I never knew when I was going to find a split strand, a knot or a jagged end, lol. I'm doing better now. I keep my ends stretched most days and keep them very hydrated with DevaCare one C+ shea butter.

hth!
  • webjockeywebjockey Posts: 2,786Registered Users
    I do the same thing. Actually I find that my hair still grows despite having "raggedy" ends. I just wait it out until my hair is at a length that I can handle having some length cut off and then I snip a little bit.

I also make sure I don't snip after a few drinks or when I'm PMSing.
    hello.world.
    curlynikki wrote: »
    haha, up until a couple of months ago, I use to keep a pair of hair scissor in my purse!!! Horrible. I never knew when I was going to find a split strand, a knot or a jagged end, lol. I'm doing better now. I keep my ends stretched most days and keep them very hydrated with DevaCare one C+ shea butter.

hth!

Haha. I'm not that bad. Thanks for the tip. Between you and Suburbanbushbabe I will have no room in my bathroom. It's being taken over by products. In fact I'm going to Ulta right now.
    webjockey wrote: »
    I do the same thing. Actually I find that my hair still grows despite having "raggedy" ends. I just wait it out until my hair is at a length that I can handle having some length cut off and then I snip a little bit.

I also make sure I don't snip after a few drinks or when I'm PMSing.

I think because of our hair texture, split ends can't wreak as much havoc. Snipping after a few drinks sounds a lot like drunk dialing an ex. I'm sure I've done both, my poor abused hair.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file