butters & lotions

CurlLeeCurlLee Posts: 221Registered Users
what is the difference between the two? is it just the consistancy. which one is better for thick afro texture hair?
3b here 4a there 3c everywhere
talk about a mix up :toothy10:

elevator doors open...

random girl: ohhh, you have curly hair

elevator doors begins to close...

random girl's friend:i think he knows that already

elevator doors close...

Comments

• SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I love them both.

Butters are more solid (I like creamy butters). They are emollient and moisturizing, but don't wet your hair.
    Lotions have a water content add more water to your hair and if you use enough can be wetting

Great butters - Jane Carter Nourish & Shine, Qhemet Burdock Root Butter Cream, Qhemet Amla & Olive Heavy Cream, good quality raw shea butter

Lotions: Afro Detangler, Claudie's Hair Revitalizer Satin Moisturizing lotion, Karen's Body Beautiful Hair Milk or Hair Nectar
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • Naptural9jaNaptural9ja Posts: 183Registered Users
    I love them both.

Butters are more solid (I like creamy butters). They are emollient and moisturizing, but don't wet your hair.
    Lotions have a water content add more water to your hair and if you use enough can be wetting

Great butters - Jane Carter Nourish & Shine, Qhemet Burdock Root Butter Cream, Qhemet Amla & Olive Heavy Cream, good quality raw shea butter

Lotions: Afro Detangler, Claudie's Hair Revitalizer Satin Moisturizing lotion, Karen's Body Beautiful Hair Milk or Hair Nectar
    I've never really thought to learn about the difference. I always assumed just go straight for the butter (esp since my hair is so dry). When is a good time to use the lotion?
  • EssenceEssence Posts: 300Registered Users
    It depends on what your hair likes, it may take to both. Try experimenting. My hair definitely prefers the lotions as butters are too heavy for me.
  • JipJip Posts: 90Registered Users
    As Suburbanbushbabe said, I like both.

I perfer to use the butter on damp hair to seal in moisture while strying once a week. More than that leaves my hair extremely greasy.

The lotion is used on a daily basis to maintain my moisture level (which is not easy with my hair).
    Classic Type 4A
    Coarse Texture
    Cone, Aloe, and Glycerin Sensitive
    Recovering Product Junkie

PRE SHAMPOO TREATMENT– Coconut Oil + Magick Botanicals Oil-Free Conditioner
    SHAMPOO – Sof’nFree GroHealthy Nothing But Clarifying Shampoo (Monthly)
    CONDITIONER – Magick Botanicals Oil-Free Conditioner CoWash
    LEAVE-IN CONDITIONER – Beautiful Curls Curl Activating Shea Butter Leave-in (Curly to Kinky)
    SEALANT– Homemade Natural Butter Mix
  • CurlLeeCurlLee Posts: 221Registered Users
    I love them both.

ok, thanx for the suggestions too....
    my hair like the creamy'er stuff also. thats why i asked, because a lot of the butters that i have seen look quite thick and less cramy like the curls styling butter from blended beauty.

don't think i have tried a lotion though, well at least not that i am aware of. maybe i should give them a try too.
    3b here 4a there 3c everywhere
    talk about a mix up :toothy10:

elevator doors open...

random girl: ohhh, you have curly hair

elevator doors begins to close...

random girl's friend:i think he knows that already

elevator doors close...
    I love them both.

I've never really thought to learn about the difference. I always assumed just go straight for the butter (esp since my hair is so dry). When is a good time to use the lotion?
    I often use a little lotion for 2nd day hair styling, but most often at night on dry hair for to rehydrate and on my dry hair when I bun. I also use lotions on wet hair as one of 2 leave-ins for an extra moisture hit.
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
  • ShonesShones Posts: 244Registered Users
    For second day hair, on dry hair, I mix softened raw shea butter with a tablespoon of lemon hair milk and a little oil (e.g. EVOO). Makes for a "butter" that's a little more like margarine (think Country Crock or Smart Butter, hehe) in consistency.

I've never tried a lotion. That would probably give a similar look though.
    Natural since '97 - 8 yrs loc'ed, free-form since then :)
    Blog: http://curlysweetlife.blogspot.com
    Twitter: ShoniFree
    YouTube: Shonesters
    Fearfully and wonderfully made in His likeness and image
  • jeamariajeamaria Posts: 1,851Registered Users
    I like to layer them lotions have a higher water content so they are more literally moisturizing, but they don't hold the moisture in the hair. Butters are better at sealing moisture in (though IMO not as good as gel) but especially at smoothing the hair shaft and making it feel protected and easier to handle.
  • KynnibKynnib Posts: 999Registered Users
    jeamaria wrote: »
    I like to layer them lotions have a higher water content so they are more literally moisturizing, but they don't hold the moisture in the hair. Butters are better at sealing moisture in (though IMO not as good as gel) but especially at smoothing the hair shaft and making it feel protected and easier to handle.

Exactly. Thats what i do with my KBB hair milk and hair butter. I love this combo
    4a hair. MOD CG routine.

Present Loves
    -Back on the (rajasthani) henna train! My hair is so much better now.
    -KBB hair butter mixed with Hairveda Cocasta oil
    -Spiral Solutions Deeply Decadent
  • Jaguar PawJaguar Paw Posts: 199Registered Users
    For me, I tend to lean more on the buttery side. It gives me the satisfaction that my hair is actually moisturized due to the weight of the product.
  • hola_lo2002hola_lo2002 Posts: 58Registered Users
    Hey,

I was wondering, which one is better for winter? Lotion or butter?
    Let your dreams live!!!!

3B/C; Blended Beauty is my HG!!!

http://members.fotki.com/holalo2002/
  • jeamariajeamaria Posts: 1,851Registered Users
    Hey,

I was wondering, which one is better for winter? Lotion or butter?

To me, it's not either or (see my previous post) but I would definitely recommend adding a butter to your hair regimen for the winter to give that extra layer of protection from the harsher weather. You could probably go with a lotion alone in warmer, more humid weather depending on your hair's characteristics.
    Shones wrote: »
    For second day hair, on dry hair, I mix softened raw shea butter with a tablespoon of lemon hair milk and a little oil (e.g. EVOO). Makes for a "butter" that's a little more like margarine (think Country Crock or Smart Butter, hehe) in consistency.

I've never tried a lotion. That would probably give a similar look though.
    That's a nice mix!
    comic-p.jpg

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file