Super Long Books

2»

Comments

• cymprenicympreni Curl Neophyte Posts: 9,609Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Thomas Wolfe wrote several long novels. I didn't finish any of them. I hated him at the time. But that might me more to do with the circumstance I was in, then the novels themselves.
  • LoloDSMLoloDSM Posts: 3,778Registered Users
    Have you tried any Russian novelists? They are sure to keep you entertained for a while. Dostoevsky's The Brothers Karamazov or Crime and Punishment, Tolstoy's War and Peace or Anna Karenina. I'm rereading the latter right now.

My suggestion as well. I loved Crime and Punishment. I enjoyed the peace portion of W & P much better than the war (yawn). And I'm going to pick up Anna Karenina for some winter time reading. :-)
    Loose botticelli curls and waves
    No silicones/no sulfates since March 2008
  • starg2008starg2008 Posts: 219Registered Users
    Nightmares and Dreamscapes by stephen king a long collabo of short stories.
  • MichelleBFTMichelleBFT Posts: 4,812Registered Users
    I'll second Insomnia, by Stephen King. Absolutely enthralling.
    "And politically correct is the worst term, not just because it’s dismissive, but because it narrows down the whole social justice spectrum to this idea that it’s about being polite instead of about dismantling the oppressive social structure of power.
    Fun Fact: When you actively avoid being “PC,” you’re not being forward-thinking or unique. You’re buying into systems of oppression that have existed since before you were even born, and you’re keeping those systems in place."
    Stolen.
  • bandladybandlady Posts: 183Registered Users
    I second the Mayfair Witch series by Anne Rice. "The Witching Hour" is one of my all time favorite books.

I also recommend "The Time Traveller's Wife". Can't remember who the author is at the moment.
  • PoPo Posts: 2,607Registered Users
    I'm reading Anna Karenina right now. I'm really into it. Those naughty Russians! :)

Next up is Les Miserables.
    3c/4a
  • ninja dogninja dog Curl Neophyte Posts: 23,780Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    The Gulag Archipelago by Alexander Solzhenitsyn. Gripping from the start.
  • eweniqueewenique Curl Neophyte Posts: 1,502Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Middlemarch by George Elliot is a long classic. Bleak House and Our Mutual Friend by Charles Dickens are also good. The Lord of the Rings trilogy is great if you like that genre.
    2C wavy with some spirals. CG since April 07. Medium texture and porosity.
    COs: Yes to Cucumbers
    Stylers: Miss Jessies Coily Custard, KCCC

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Live Simply. Use Soap
    www.TheLatheredLamb.com
    www.EweniqueEssentials.artfire.com
  • PoodleheadPoodlehead Posts: 6,959Registered Users
    Clan of the Cave Bears series by Jean M. Auel.

I'm also chiming in on Anna Karenina, Outlander, and The Fountainhead.
    Minneapolis, MN
  • JillH410JillH410 Curl Neophyte Posts: 594Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'll second Insomnia, by Stephen King. Absolutely enthralling.

I'll 3rd it along with Needful Things. And though it isn't long, Gerald's Game was the most frightening King book I've ever read and I've read almost all of his.
    cowash: Tresemme Naturals
    rinse out: Garnier Triple Nutrition
    Leave in: Suave naturals, whichever scent I'm into at the moment
    gel: Garnier Fructis or LA Looks

3a-3b - high porosity
  • oddityofwingsoddityofwings Posts: 1,261Registered Users
    There's always Samuel R. Delany's Dhalgren. It's technically sci-fi, but it's close enough to postmodern fiction to not matter if you don't like sci-fi (no spaceships or aliens or anything anyway). It's big and thick and thoughtful and there's a lot to get your teeth into there.

There's always James Joyce's Ulysses, if you want to really go for the gold. ;-)
    3b/c. Fine, med-high porosity, normal elasticity. Hair loves oils in summer, protein in winter. Constantly battling the hard water monster.

Favourites:love5::
    CJ Curl Theory, Curl Rehab, Smoothing, Curl Fix, Daily Fix, CCCC, CIAB, CQ, SSCC, MC shampoo, Inecto Pure Coconut Oil, CP luscious curl creme (summer), DB Pumpkin Seed (summer), FD/MT, JCWDT, JCTS

American literature PhD student in the UK... :study:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file