Super Long Books

msjokermsjoker Posts: 1,658Registered Users
I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for super-long books to read? Not including religious books/texts. I've read Gone With The Wind and The Stand. I think those are the only two really long books that I've read. I like a majority of genres, but I'm not really into cheesy romance or science-fiction/fantasy. Thanks! Oh, and I also read Queen by Alex Haley.
"It moisturizes my situation... preserves my sexy."

Comments

• BiancaBianca Posts: 2,492Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Have you read The Feast of All Saints by Anne Rice?

I've just started reading it but I haven't gotten very far. It's 640 pages.
    Shampoo: Herbal Essences-NOYF

Conditioner: Herbal Essences NOYF Conditioner mixed w/ Coppola Keratin Complex Conditioner

+ TJ Nourish and Olive oil combo.
  • msjokermsjoker Posts: 1,658Registered Users
    No, I haven't read that book. It just looked it up and it looks really good. Thanks for suggesting it! I really like Rice's portrayal of Louisana and I like how she describes the french-creole and her black characters in her books.
  • disneylovedisneylove Posts: 112Registered Users
    East of Eden

about 1000 pages i think. it has been a few years since i read it.
    We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here and that is the English language ….and we have room for but one sole loyalty, and that is a loyalty to the American people. —Theodore Roosevelt
    That novel seems really interesting. I'll check it out!
  • SigiSigi Posts: 2,379Registered Users
    Atlas Shrugged
    The Fountainhead
    Sigi, I just looked up the books you mentioned. I've never taken any Philosophy courses, but would I still understand where she's coming from?
    msjoker wrote:
    That novel seems really interesting. I'll check it out!
    trust me, you will not be disappointed with East of Eden. :)
    We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here and that is the English language ….and we have room for but one sole loyalty, and that is a loyalty to the American people. —Theodore Roosevelt
  • SigiSigi Posts: 2,379Registered Users
    msjoker wrote:
    Sigi, I just looked up the books you mentioned. I've never taken any Philosophy courses, but would I still understand where she's coming from?

I haven't taken philosophy courses either, and I don't think it's necessary in order to read the books. It gave me a whole new perspective on things. In Atlas Shrugged, the first 200 or so pages chug along pretty slowly, but it's worth it once you get passed them.
    OK, thanks Sigi! I'll definitely read those books and Disneylove I'll also read East of Eden.
    someone gave me a copy of My Life by Clinton as gift once. i disposed of it. i wish I had kept it because i could have sent it to you. it looked like it might have been a thousand pages of blah blah. i don't know if it is any good but it definitely looked long.
  • banjocurlbanjocurl Posts: 1,030Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Sigi wrote:
    msjoker wrote:

I haven't taken philosophy courses either, and I don't think it's necessary in order to read the books. It gave me a whole new perspective on things. In Atlas Shrugged, the first 200 or so pages chug along pretty slowly, but it's worth it once you get passed them.

atlas shrugged saved my life when i was in high school. it is a great book. i was 16 and picked it out because i was at the airport getting ready to fly to CA and needed a long book i could not finish on the plane. after reading that book i no longer wanted to trade in all my IQ points for popularity!
    other great long books are Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series--WHOOOOO
    Susan suburban NY
    3b going gray, not thick, waist length when wet, a bit below shoulders when dry
    CG since 11/11/04
    http://public.fotki.com/banjolady/
    PW: banjo
    HG: suave and honey for co-wash, deva, i use garnier fructis regular CO's or boots pink or white as leave ins and LA looks sport gel. plop w microfiber turban, then curl towel scrunch, then another turban.i sleep with the turban on. little one minute hair styling videos http://www.youtube.com/user/lazycurls
  • StormCloudCurlyStormCloudCurly Posts: 116Registered Users
    Have you tried any Russian novelists? They are sure to keep you entertained for a while. Dostoevsky's The Brothers Karamazov or Crime and Punishment, Tolstoy's War and Peace or Anna Karenina. I'm rereading the latter right now.
    pw: curlie
  • papayahedpapayahed Posts: 1,282Registered Users
    War and Peace is quite long.

I'd agree with the Ayn Rand, I skipped most of the parts where she yammered on about her philosophies. She does tend to like to beat a dead horse.
  • AlexaAlexa Posts: 208Registered Users
    Bianca wrote:
    Have you read The Feast of All Saints by Anne Rice?

This is the best Ann Rice book (IMO) although I love the Vampire books too.

A Suitable Boy by Vikram Seth is 1474 pages.
    It's a while ago that I read it but seem to remember it was pretty good.
    U.K curly

3A Curly Twirly.
    Golden brown (coloured to cover grey).
    Low poo: Dr Organic, L'Oreal Everpure.
    Conditioner: Dr Organic Argan Oil.
    Leave In: Aussie, Curl Harmony.
    Gel: Curl Keeper Original, Umberto Gianni.
  • NuttyHairNuttyHair Posts: 75Registered Users
    contemporary fiction - I read it a while ago and remember not wanting to put it down.

Ed to add: Also John Irving's books are very good and pretty hefty.
    3B, I think w/very thick hair, shoulder length. Fall hair: Low Poo, TS, CK, Aloeba leave in, recoil or RR, plop, BRHG or SMU, no blow dry.
  • LadyCurlyLocksLadyCurlyLocks Posts: 341Registered Users
    Fiction: The Thorn Birds by Colleen McCollough (sp?) Fair warning though: You'll want to see the movie after you read the book! Most love one just as much as the other.

Nonfiction: Seven Pillars of Wisdom by T. E. Lawrence. It was mesmerizing for me, and I read it steadily. Interesting to read especially with the goings-on in the Middle East today. I've heard that it's indispensible for armed forces officers in that area.
    3B Corkscrew... I'm back on the boards now! Just got The Big Chop on Monday, pics coming soon.
  • BookishCurlyBookishCurly Posts: 75Registered Users
    Fiction: The Thorn Birds by Colleen McCollough (sp?) Fair warning though: You'll want to see the movie after you read the book! Most love one just as much as the other.

Great movie and book!
    Her Rome series is great too if you like Historical fiction and most have at least 800 pages or more. 8)

Les Miserables by Victor Hugo is a long book and it is quite good. It is in the Historical fiction genre too. Most of the action takes place during the time of Napoleaon Bonaparte. I read the unabridged version and it was 1600 pages long. :)
    "A thing of beauty is a joy forever: It's loveliness increases; it will never pass into nothingness; but will still keep a bower quiet for us, and a sleep full of sweet dreams, and health, and quiet breathing."... John Keats. (Endymion, Book I, 1-5)
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    The Gold Coast, by Nelson DeMille
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • elsiesueelsiesue Posts: 17Registered Users
    The Dreaming, Virgins Of Paradise, or Green City In the Sun by Barbara Wood. I agree with the other posters, The Thornbirds and East of Eden are very good reads too!
  • blackbird668blackbird668 Posts: 22Registered Users
    "Insomnia" is one of my favorite Stephen King books, as well as one of the longest I've read.
    Money might not buy happiness, but it will buy a shiny red Mustang and you can drive up REAL close to it.

http://360.yahoo.com/blackbird668
  • katethegreatkatethegreat Posts: 801Registered Users
    I'm halfway through Les Miserables right now and I'm really enjoying it.
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that frightens us."
    -Marianne Williamson
  • PartyHairPartyHair Posts: 7,713Registered Users
    I just finished The Children's War by Stroyar. It's over 1500 pages, and I've read it twice. It's one of my favorite books, although it's really intense. I actually dreamt about the characters several times and I never, ever remember my dreams. Obviously it affected me strongly.
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Rock on with your bad self.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Be excellent to each other. ~ Abraham Lincoln

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
  • battinlashbattinlash Posts: 1,850Registered Users
    The Gold Coast, by Nelson DeMille

This book had me rolling. I loved the main character's sense of humor.
  • NYCurlyGirlyNYCurlyGirly Posts: 1,012Registered Users
    I Know This Much is True by Wally Lamb is astounding. jus tabout 900 pages but I did not want to put it down!!
    "Yo, James, i'm really happy for you, i'm gonna let you finish killing Bella in a minute, but Demetri was one of the best Trackers of ALL time!"

www.myspace.com/mimichica
  • Cynthia73Cynthia73 Posts: 11Registered Users
    All the James Michener books I have read are 3000+ paperback size pages. They always begin in prehistoric times are work up to the present. So considering the timeline, 3000 pages is not much.

They always hold my interest until the very end, then I am just wanting to get it finished.
    CG since 11-14-2008
    Type: 3 a
  • curlynyricancurlynyrican Posts: 134Registered Users
    The Pillars of the Earth- Ken Follett (this book will take you away!)

I know This Much is True- Wally Lamb (my favorite book I've read it twice. I could not put it down)

Wicked- Gregory Maguire (Nothing like the Disney/ b'way version. Much better!)

I second The Thorn Birds.
    3c/4a 3 Years Relaxer Free!

http://public.fotki.com/curlynyrican/
  • WurlyLoxWurlyLox Posts: 4,858Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I second, though I don't consider a lot of them that long, myself:
    • all James Michener
    • Atlas Shrugged (less so The Fountainhead)
    • The Thornbirds and most other Colleen McCullough
    • The Outlander series (one of my all-time favorites besides GWTW and The Stand) - if you like the first book, you will the rest as some of them are funnier than the first. They're all big honking books
    • Walley Lamb, though I prefer She's Come Undone over I Know This Much is True - the latter's longer, though
    • East of Eden and most Steinbeck
    Additional suggestions:
    • Wheel of Fortune by Susan Howatch
    • Sarum by Edward Rutherford
    • Forever Amber by Kathleen Winsor 1945 - perhaps the mother of all bodice ripper-type historical romances. Better to me than the contemporary stuff in this genre
    • Through a Glass Darkly by Karleen Koen
    • Anne Rice's Mayfair Witches series - I prefer them over the vampire books
    • All Herman Wouk
    • John Jakes' Kent Family Chronicles
    • All Eugenia Price
    • Stephen King's Dark Tower series if you already like him. Also The Tommyknockers, 'Salem's Lot, It, Firestarter, Misery, Delores Claiborne, The Green Mile
    • Dean Koontz - Lightning, Twilight and Watchers, some of his early books like these are better to me, and longer, than most of his later ones
    • Judith Michael's Deceptions and its sequel, A Tangled Web
    • All Pat Conroy
    • All Ann Rivers Siddons
    • All Dorothea Benton Franks
    • All Eileen Goudge but you might especially like the Carson Springs series
    • All Nora Roberts - she has several trilogies and series to choose from
    • All Luanne Rice - a lot of hers are set in the same area and interconnected
    • All Debbie Macomber - you might like her Cedar Cove series
    Some are longer than others, but most any of these writers' books are fairly sizeable. The ones in bold type are more the GWTW length range. It's been so long since I read a lot of them that they may be longer than I remember them being.

I could go on and on, but this gives you a very wide assortment!
    2C/3A/3B - modified CG - fairly fine now, normal/low porosity/normal elasticity

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated or Aim2Health 'poos for scalp, Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite,CJ Pattern Pusha,, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing w/360o diffuser then clips/clamps & air dry. Newly gray - stopped my henna glosses!

www.fotki.com/auntnett
  • nynaeve77nynaeve77 Posts: 7,135Registered Users Curl Novice
    I third Les Miserables. This is one of my favorites. I also recommend the Dark Tower series by Stephen King. The first book isn't that long, but the rest are of pretty good size.
    "Maybe Lucy's right. Of all the Charlie Browns in the world, you're the Charlie Browniest."--Linus, A Charlie Brown Christmas

My fotki: http://public.fotki.com/nynaeve77/
    Password: orphanannie
  • KookyCurlKookyCurl Posts: 1,980Registered Users
    auntnett wrote: »
    I second, though I don't consider a lot of them that long, myself:
    • all James Michener
    • Atlas Shrugged (less so The Fountainhead)
    • The Thornbirds and most other Colleen McCullough
    • The Outlander series (one of my all-time favorites besides GWTW and The Stand) - if you like the first, book you will the rest as some of them are funnier than the first. They're all big honking books
    • Walley Lamb, though I prefer She's Come Undone over I Know This Much is True - the latter's longer, though
    • East of Eden and most Steinbeck
    Additional suggestions:
    • Wheel of Fortune by Susan Howatch
    • Sarum by Edward Rutherford
    • Forever Amber by Kathleen Winsor 1945 - perhaps the mother of all bodice ripper-type historical romances. Better to me than the contemporary stuff in this genre
    • Through a Glass Darkly by Karleen Koen
    • Anne Rice's Mayfair Witches series - I prefer them over the vampire books
    • All Herman Wouk
    • John Jakes' Kent Family Chronicles
    • All Eugenia Price
    • Stephen King's Dark Tower series if you already like him. Also The Tommyknockers, 'Salem's Lot, It, Firestarter, Misery, Delores Claiborne, The Green Mile
    • Dean Koontz - Lightning, Twilight and Watchers, some of his early books like these are better to me, and longer, than most of his later ones
    • Judith Michael's Deceptions and its sequel, A Tangled Web
    • All Pat Conroy
    • All Ann Rivers Siddons
    • All Dorothea Benton Franks
    • All Eileen Goudge but you might especially like the Carson Springs series
    • All Nora Roberts - she has several trilogies and series to choose from
    • All Luanne Rice - a lot of hers are set in the same area and interconnected
    • All Debbie Macomber - you might like her Cedar Cove series
    Some are longer than others, but most of any of these writers books are fairly sizeable. The ones in bold type are more the GWTW length range. It's been so long since I read a lot of them that they may be longer than I remember them being.

I could go on and on, but this gives you a very wide assortment!

I second the Kent Family Chronicles. I love all of John Jakes stuff. If you're looking for longer his Homeland and American Dreams are heftier. I also enjoy the North and South Trilogy.
  • RyanneRyanne Posts: 686Registered Users
    The mists of Avalon, by Marion Bradley. I'm reading it now.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file