Want to acheive dark auburn with henna and indigo...

lacunaCoilslacunaCoils Posts: 489Registered Users
I want to henna for the first time, but I don't want a dramatic bright red right away. So I'm thinking maybe it would be best to use 1/2 henna and 1/2 indigo? Or maybe a little amla, too? I do want some red though, not just brown. So maybe 1/4 indigo and 3/4 henna? Right now, my hair is medium golden brown with a red tint. Another option could be to dye my hair dark brown first, then use henna? Has anyone done anything like this? Did you get dark reddish brown hair? I'm going to order some henna and do some tests first. Would love to hear experiences.
2b/2c Henndigo curls
Currently using: Deva low-poo and OC, KCKT/KCCC, JCCC, & BRHG. + Curlease towel :)
Also have had success with: CK, FSG, KBB, AOHR, Nature's Gate Conditioner.

pw: curlygirl

peacelove.jpg

Comments

• BrioBrio Posts: 1,432Registered Users
    On the hennaforhair site, there are some ratios given of generally the color you will get from mixing henna & indigo.
    Mix henna and indigo to dye hair reddish brown:
    [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Do the same as above, but use two parts henna to one part indigo. [/FONT]

Mix henna and indigo to dye hair dark brown:
    [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Do the same as above but use one part henna to two parts indigo. [/FONT]

Mix henna and indigo to dye hair very dark brown:
    [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Do the same as above but use one part henna to four parts indigo. [/FONT]

Mix henna and indigo to make henna look less coppery red:

[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Do the same as above but use four parts henna to one part indigo. [/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman](from Ms. Cartwright Jones's e-book, p. 33)[/FONT]

With your medium brown hair, you may get the dark auburn you want from just henna. It may take an application or two.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Frizz Happens!
    my Fotki hair journey/experiment diary PW is brio (and I really need to update it!)

3A hair; coloring with henna/indigo since July 2009; normally follow the CG method. Still searching for my HG products!
  • MimsTXMimsTX Posts: 3,482Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    there's also a table over there... with every bit of information you could want. The mix someone used, how long they left it on, what color they started with, what their natural color is, etc.

http://www.hennaforhair.com/mixes/hairtable/
    CG/Mod CG (soap bars) since 8/12/08
    CO wash/Cond: Kathymack & Flowermoon Castille soap bars, V05 Chamomile Tea, Suave Ocean Breeze, Biolage Conditioning Balm
    Styling loves: DIFFUSING! CK, KCNT, KCCC, FOTE (on dry hair only), Re:coil, Proclaim gel
    Not sure about: Boots, Tweek, KBB Milk, DMHJ
    HATE: plopping, FOTE on wet hair, BRHG

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file