Komaza Coconut Hair Pudding

FrizzBgoneFrizzBgone Registered Users Posts: 2,678 Curl Neophyte
Komaza hair products have been discussed a fair amount on the 4a boards. Without meaning to hijack the thread to this board, I thought it would be worth posting the success I've had. My hair is nowhere near 4a, but I am really loving this product. If you're not a 4, don't be afraid to try it.

I've been applying my products using the Curlisto method (see videos under Curlmart / Curlisto). I apply the hair pudding first followed by a gel. I've used Abba Firm Gel, Mop Top and MGA Sculpting gel with it ... all have worked really well. I do one section at a time ... layering the gel over the pudding. My get lots of bouncy curls that hold all day ... without any frizz.

This product does contain castor oil; I know some of you have had problems with buildup. I have used it a number of times and have been happy with it every time. Here are the ingredients:

Coconut Oil, Shea Butter, Cocoa Butter, castor bean oil, Dipalmitoylethyldimonium Chloride (A derivitive of Palm Oil) aloe vera, acrylates, alkyl acrylates, Sodium Benzoate, Potassium Sorbate, Methylparaben, Propylparaben

HTH
Type: 3a fine & dense,with normal porosity, terrible product junkie
ROUTINE: LI, enhancer, gel, plop with Curlease towel, serum product (either CIAB or Gel-les'c), clip & diffuse.
Too many favourite products to list ... I finally have my routine that works and alot of products to choose from. My product stash is huge, but well loved !!!

Comments

• empressriempressri Registered Users Posts: 4,812
    ooh i want some!
    Lady Hasytal in the Land of Product in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    "Trust is knowing your SO would do the right thing in the face of strange vagina." Nej
    [/B]
  • FrizzBgoneFrizzBgone Registered Users Posts: 2,678 Curl Neophyte
    I really like it. I held off putting in a review until I had used it a number of times. I wanted to see how my hair would react to the castor oil before I posted.

It has worked really well for me. If you have problems with the castor oil though it might be one to avoid.
    ROUTINE: LI, enhancer, gel, plop with Curlease towel, serum product (either CIAB or Gel-les'c), clip & diffuse.
    Too many favourite products to list ... I finally have my routine that works and alot of products to choose from. My product stash is huge, but well loved !!!
  • melaniesusanmelaniesusan Registered Users Posts: 948 Curl Neophyte
    FrizzBgone wrote: »
    My hair is nowhere near 4a, but I am really loving this product. HTH

I've seen your recent positive posts about both Komaza coconut curl pudding and Ohm sweet hair pudding. Which do you like better and why? I haven't tried a castor oil product on my 2B/3A hair, so I'm a little unsure, but wanted to try something different than my QCCC this winter. Like you, my general routine is: leave-in + curl cream + gel.
    hair type: 2B/3A
    low poo: Elucence moisture; Elucence clarifying (after swimming)
    condish: CJ smoothing; CJ argan; CJ repair me; CJ curl rehab
    winter/spring styling: CJ Beauticurls leave-in + Curly Kinks coil jam + Ouidad mongongo oil; or CJ leave-in + SpiralSolutions CEJ & FHG
    summer/fall styling: CJ CCCC lite + CIAB + Curl Queen
    http://members.fotki.com/melaniesusan/ pw = 3ahair
    My hair is nowhere near 4a, but I am really loving this product. HTH

I've seen your recent positive posts about both Komaza coconut curl pudding and Ohm sweet hair pudding. Which do you like better and why? I haven't tried a castor oil product on my 2B/3A hair, so I'm a little unsure, but wanted to try something different than my QCCC this winter. Like you, my general routine is: leave-in + curl cream + gel.

I like them both about the same. If you add Sisters Smith WSP, you would have my 3 favourite products. My hair varies from 2c to 3a (with some 3b thrown in). I don't think it would be too strong for your hair. I think the Komaza has a bit more hold, but only slightly. To be honest, I couldn't honestly say which one I like better :confused:

I apply both products after leave-in and then scrunch the pudding in the same way Mysteryflavored does in her [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] demo video. I plop using the Curlease towel while I put on my makeup. After that, I scrunch in some gel, diffuse and go.

Afrokinks sells both products. This is a junkie speaking ... but for the cost of the products, by the time you do shipping, I'd order them both. :laughing5:
    [I like them both about the same. If you add Sisters Smith WSP, you would have my 3 favourite products...Afrokinks sells both products. This is a junkie speaking ... but for the cost of the products, by the time you do shipping, I'd order them both.

Thanks! Per your advice, I tried ordering both Komaza and Ohm from Afrokinks, but they're out of stock.

Sistasplace.biz also sells the Ohm pudding--including 2 oz. sample sizes :love10:--but they're out of stock as well. Must be high in demand!

Does the glycerin in the Sisters Smith WSP give you difficulty in the winter?

Also, do you plan to go back to using [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] in the summer, or will you keep using these three?
    winter/spring styling: CJ Beauticurls leave-in + Curly Kinks coil jam + Ouidad mongongo oil; or CJ leave-in + SpiralSolutions CEJ & FHG
    Thanks! Per your advice, I tried ordering both Komaza and Ohm from Afrokinks, but they're out of stock.

Sistasplace.biz also sells the Ohm pudding--including 2 oz. sample sizes :love10:--but they're out of stock as well. Must be high in demand!

Does the glycerin in the Sisters Smith WSP give you difficulty in the winter?

Also, do you plan to go back to using [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] in the summer, or will you keep using these three?

I haven't had any problem with any of these products and it has been very cold here. I have to watch the glycerin I use ... I can't use CK, but I am completely fine with the natural products. I can't explain why; I suspect it is because the natural products tend to use vegetable glycerin (but that is only a guess).

I always use a leave-in and I always use gel after any of the curl creams. I haven't had any problems with frizz or dryness. I wasn't able to use any of my curl creams in the heat of the summer; they made my hair frizzy then. As soon as the humidity was gone, my creams were pulled back out.

I will definitely use [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] again. It is a great product, but it just takes my hair too long to dry. I still use [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] regularly on my daughters (2a-b) wavy hair. If I didn't have so much hair, I'd likely still be using it now.

If you send an e-mail to Afrokinks, they may tell you when they are expecting to receive more stock. They did that for me.... but I also got my products before the 'craze' hit!!

If you're content to start with komaza (www.komazacare.com), you can order sample sizes from them as well. I tried the Komaza curl cream and wasn't crazy about it. I much prefer the pudding. I also tried the Coconut Curl shampoo and conditioner; it is also very nice.
    If you're content to start with komaza (www.komazacare.com), you can order sample sizes from them as well.

Thanks! I actually called Komaza yesterday, and they were really nice. I told them that I wanted to buy a sample of the curl pudding ($4.50) but didn't want to pay $10 to ship it from CA to DC, and asked if they could lower the shipping.

They called me back, and agreed to lower the shipping charge. They also expressed concern that the curl pudding would be too heavy for my 2B/3A hair and would cause my curls to fall out rather than supporting them. They suggested the milk and the spray gel instead.

I asked them to include a sample of the milk as well in my order so that I could try it as well, and they said they would also throw in a sample of the spray for free so that I could also try that. They were very concerned that the pudding wouldn't work for my hair type, and wanted me to be happy with their products overall.

So for just $9 + $5 shipping, I will be receiving three samples in the mail: the curl pudding, the milk, and the spray. They were so accomodating - great customer service! I'm really looking forward to trying everything! :hello2:

I'll post an update once I try it all out...
    That's awesome. I am always so impressed when I hear customer service stories like that.

I'm anxious to hear what you think. I believe the pudding was intended for curlier (4a) hair, but it works like a charm for me.

I hope you like the products.
  • naiha1naiha1 Registered Users Posts: 209
    I was so upset thst this product didn't work for me. I think I amfinally realizing that my hair just hates anything coconut! :confused:
    Happy, Nappy, and Kinky 24/7!!
    4/b very coily
    naiha1 wrote: »
    I was so upset thst this product didn't work for me. I think I amfinally realizing that my hair just hates anything coconut! :confused:

Oh no ... coconut is in so many things ... I feel your pain. I went through all of it when I was determined that Devacurl would work for me ... loads of cash later, I finally admitted to myself that that line wasn't for me.
    So I finally got my Komaza samples in the mail and have been trying them out. Two days ago, I tried the Komaza coconut pudding. I had a very good hair day. Good curl formation, not too heavy in my hair despite the castor oil in it. Second day hair also looked good; by the third morning the curl had fallen out but I had nice soft waves and my hair didn't look dirty.

This morning I tried the Komaza hair milk instead of the pudding. This is the one that Komaza rep suggested for my 3A hair, which she thought would work better than the pudding. The jury is still out, because it's only been a few hours and my hair is not completely dry, but so far I'm having a GREAT hair day! My hair is soft with big bouncy curls and no crunch. We'll see how it holds up the rest of today and tomorrow.

I'll keep trying both the pudding and the milk over the next week or two in different weather scenarios before offering my final review. I really like using QCCC in the winter, but wanted to try something glycerin-free to see if it makes a difference.

I should mention that both times I used Komaza (either the pudding or the milk) layered over a leave-in (DLI) and under a gel (Mop Top).

I also sprayed in a little of the Komaza coconut curl spray, which supposedly helps with frizz. No frizz yet, but I don't know whether the spray made the difference or not. It's very light. The Komaza sales rep suggested I use the spray as a leave-in under the milk, but my hair really needs more moisture in this cold weather so I didn't think it would be strong enough. Maybe I'll do a DT with KBB this weekend and then try the spray as my leave-in. Or maybe I'll skip the spray altogether and see if I notice a difference.

Anyway, I'm pretty happy so far...I'll post again in a week or two after more experiments.
    So my first experiment with Komaza coconut hair milk ended up not working out. Initially, I had a great hair day. But then halfway through the day, my curls just utterly collapsed into waves. They were very moisturized, but weighed down.

I was suprised, given that this had not happened to me with the pudding, which seems to be a heavier product. So I looked at the first three ingredients in the milk. They are quite heavy: (1) a palm oil derivative; (2) coconut milk; (3) coconut oil.

In the past, my curl creams have always been lighter--like QCCC, more "butter" than "oil"--so I've always paired them with a leave-in underneath. It occurred to me maybe I overdid it with moisture when I did DLI leave-in + coconut spray + coconut milk + gel.

So today I decided to try the milk again, but this time with only the coconut spray as a light leave-in. I didn't use my DLI leave-in, and didn't add gel at the end either. Just the Komaza coconut spray, and then the hair milk. That's it.

So far I'm having a great hair day: big, shiny, bouncy curls. We'll see how it holds up the rest of today and tomorrow. If it doesn't work out, I'll experiment again with today's combo but a little gel added at the end. I'm definitely foregoing my normal leave-in with this product.
    So the last combination - no leave-in + no gel - didn't work out. I started out with great curls, but they completely fell out halfway into the day.

So I tried again. This time, I did just the hair milk (no spray), but with a gel (HESMU spray gel) scrunched in at the end. I also used less hair milk than previously (so as not to weigh down my hair too much). I also diffused after plopping to help form the curl.

Once again, I started out with shiny, big, bouncy, beautiful, well-formed curls. I definitely don't need a leave-in with this product. The palm and coconut oils are very moisturizing, even for wintertime.

However, once again, even with a gel, much of my curl fell out by the end of the day. It didn't totally collapse into waves (like previously), but I did lose quite a bit of curl. Second day hair was similar.

Maybe HESMU isn't a strong enough gel to use with the hair milk. I might try again, but with HEBE --it seems to be heavier.

Or, maybe the oils in the milk are just too heavy for my fine hair (even when the milk is applied sparingly), and weigh it down too much.

For now, I'm going to set it aside and try the curl pudding again.

For those of you who use the pudding, what do you pair it with?
    So the last combination - no leave-in + no gel - didn't work out. I started out with great curls, but they completely fell out halfway into the day.

So I tried again. This time, I did just the hair milk (no spray), but with a gel (HESMU spray gel) scrunched in at the end. I also used less hair milk than previously (so as not to weigh down my hair too much). I also diffused after plopping to help form the curl.

Once again, I started out with shiny, big, bouncy, beautiful, well-formed curls. I definitely don't need a leave-in with this product. The palm and coconut oils are very moisturizing, even for wintertime.

However, once again, even with a gel, much of my curl fell out by the end of the day. It didn't totally collapse into waves (like previously), but I did lose quite a bit of curl. Second day hair was similar.

Maybe HESMU isn't a strong enough gel to use with the hair milk. I might try again, but with HEBE --it seems to be heavier.

Or, maybe the oils in the milk are just too heavy for my fine hair (even when the milk is applied sparingly), and weigh it down too much.

For now, I'm going to set it aside and try the curl pudding again.

For those of you who use the pudding, what do you pair it with?

I wasn't keen on the hair milk, but I really like the pudding. I use a leave-in (KBB Nectar, Abba Pure & Gentle to name a couple) and then scrunch in Komaza Curl Pudding. I plop using a Curlease towel and then scrunch in some gel. I really like MGA Sculpting Gel, Abba Pure Firm Gel and Ohm Aloe Gel. I need the extra hold of a gel, but my curls last all day.

Good luck with it !!
    [I wasn't keen on the hair milk, but I really like the pudding. I use a leave-in (KBB Nectar, Abba Pure & Gentle to name a couple) and then scrunch in Komaza Curl Pudding. I plop using a Curlease towel and then scrunch in some gel. I really like MGA Sculpting Gel, Abba Pure Firm Gel and Ohm Aloe Gel. I need the extra hold of a gel, but my curls last all day. Good luck with it !!

thanks for the advice, FrizzBgone. I set aside the milk, and am back to trying the pudding. My original experiment was pairing the pudding with GDLI as my leave-in and Mop-Top as my gel. Ok results, but not stellar. Perhaps because of the glycerin in the Mop Top?

My second experiment (two days ago) was pairing the pudding with KBB SS (leave-in) and HESMU (gel). I had great curls - not as shiny and moisturized as with the milk - but they held up better during day 1. Then day 2 I had lots of frizz and much less curl formation.

So onto experiment #3 (today). I'm going back to GDLI as my leave-in (I think I might need more moisture than KBB SS), and am trying BRHG on top of the pudding (since it's a stronger gel than HESMU).

I'm crossing my fingers...
    Experiment #3 was a success! I had a GREAT hair day today using the Komaza coconut hair pudding. The secret was using a firmer gel. BRHG gave me much better hold on top of the pudding than either MopTop or HESMU. Initially, I figured that I wouldn't need a strong gel because the pudding is so much thicker than a curl cream, and has somewhat of a gel like consistency. But it really does need a strong gel.

So right now it's 10pm, and my curls are still FABULOUS: defined, bouncy, and soft to the touch. The BRHG dried a little crunchy initially, but it only took 2 minutes to scrunch out the crunch.

I'm really surprised that I'm getting so much curl in cold weather. Usually I only get this much curl in the summertime in high humidity. Right now in Chicago it's only 6 degrees F, the dew point is 1 degree F, and the humidity is 79%. I've been indoors most of the day, but even when I was outside the curl held up.

In addition to giving me great curl, the pudding doesn't have a strong coconut smell which is a real plus. I love the smell of coconut (because it reminds me of Maui), but my husband absolutely hates it (because it reminds him of suntan lotion). The Komaza coconut hair milk has such a strong coconut scent that my hair continued to smell like coconut until the next wash. By contrast, after using the pudding, I couldn't smell any coconut on my hair at all.

Hopefully I'll have good 2nd day hair too; we'll have to see...
    The success story continues! Even after sleeping on my curls, I have GREAT 2nd day hair. I just re-wet, scrunched a bit, then repeated about 10 minutes later.

This combination of GDLI (leave-in), Komaza coconut curl pudding (curl enhancer), and BRHG gel (for hold) is now my HG for the winter.

Thanks for the good review, FrizzBGone. I'm glad I kept experimenting until I found a way to get it to work. I'm very pleased. I'm going to call Komaza and let them know that their pudding is great for 3As...I know they were skeptical when I first ordered it for my hair type.

For those of you who have tried both the Komaza pudding and the Ohm pudding, which do you prefer? I was thinking of ordering a full jar of Komaza pudding from afrokinks, and noticed that they also sell Ohm pudding and Ohn aloe gel as well. I couldn't decide whether it's worth buying full bottles of these, or if I should just stick with Komaza for now.

Being a PJ is so crazy; even when you're happy if something, you're still so curious about what else is out there!
    The success story continues! Even after sleeping on my curls, I have GREAT 2nd day hair. I just re-wet, scrunched a bit, then repeated about 10 minutes later.

This combination of GDLI (leave-in), Komaza coconut curl pudding (curl enhancer), and BRHG gel (for hold) is now my HG for the winter.

Thanks for the good review, FrizzBGone. I'm glad I kept experimenting until I found a way to get it to work. I'm very pleased. I'm going to call Komaza and let them know that their pudding is great for 3As...I know they were skeptical when I first ordered it for my hair type.

For those of you who have tried both the Komaza pudding and the Ohm pudding, which do you prefer? I was thinking of ordering a full jar of Komaza pudding from afrokinks, and noticed that they also sell Ohm pudding and Ohn aloe gel as well. I couldn't decide whether it's worth buying full bottles of these, or if I should just stick with Komaza for now.

Being a PJ is so crazy; even when you're happy if something, you're still so curious about what else is out there!

I'm glad you got it to work for you !!!!

I have the Ohm SHP as well and love it. I'd say the Komaza and the SHP are equal. The Komaza pudding has parabens, but I don't believe the Ohm products do.

I think Komaza has my hair dry slighter faster than the SHP, but that would be the only difference in performance. They are both really awesome products!

Signed,

A total enabler !!
  • amy51373amy51373 SW MissouriRegistered Users Posts: 1,205 Curl Connoisseur
    I just realized that they sell sample size bottles of most everything. I may place an order of some of the samples to try out but that won't be until after I've tried the other things I've already ordered...so that could be a while!
    mostly 3a/fine/high porosity/low density
    Cleanse: Bosley shampoo and conditioner
    Stylers: Boots Curl Cream, Uncle Funky's Daughter, Curl Keeper
    Gels: Volumax, Biolage, EcoStyler, BRHG
    Shea butter to scrunch out the crunch and seal
    Modified CG since Feb 2008
    I had to bump this thread up after the comments I got on Christmas Eve. I have been trying to sell my cousins on visiting this site since the summer. They have amazingly beautiful curls. They were polite, but I knew they weren't going to do it.

On Christmas Eve, both cousins and my aunt approached me to ask about nc.com again. They couldn't believe how good my hair looked. My aunt kept saying - OMG you don't have any frizz and your hair looks curlier than it was before.

I had used KBB nectar as a leave-in, Komaza Curl Pudding and Mop Top gel.

I have yet to use this product and not receive compliments on my hair. If I take the time to diffuse it properly (and keep my hands out of my hair), I am guaranteed to have awesome curls - defined, lots of volume and NO FRIZZ. :hello1: :hello1: :hello1: :hello1:

My DH was beside me when they were raving about my curls ... he said - have you not told them about that website with your curly friends yet ... of course he then had to add that he was on a first name basis with UPS and the postman since I found the site ... oh well !!! :shock:

Thumbs up for nc.com and Komaza Pudding !!
  • DEL2CDEL2C Registered Users Posts: 6,418 Curl Neophyte
    :thumbup: I've experimented with the pudding a few times now. 1st time not so great, 2nd time much better, 3rd time it's a keeper!!!

I did like you and Melanie using the curlisto method http://www.curlisto.com/new-stylingyourhair/lesson-wavy%20to%20loose%20curls.htm adding pudding and BRHG to ea section. This really made a difference the 3rd time. The 1st time I was frizzy but I didn't use a leave-in, the 2nd time it left me a little too soft. There is something to sectioning for sure!! YIPPEE :blob8: another product to add to my rotation!!! I should add that I sprayed a little of the coco curling spray too when it was damp and that help to set it. Have I said how much I LOVE the swap board????
    Discovered CG 2007

2C Fia BSL/Thick/Med-Coarse/Low(crown)-Normal Porosity Protein and Oil Sensitive

Link-Spritz & Condish Washing:glasses7:

I'm aCurlJunkieJunky :love4:

My hair LOVES Coconut DESPISES Soap Bars :tongue6:

CJRehab or H&B Fix, Deva NO POO, EO Rose & Cham POO & Condish, CJ CurlFix, CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ CIAB, SS FHG, KCCC, BRHG, AG Mousse Gel, ACV Rinses,Shikakai Conditioning Hair Rinse.
    DEL2C wrote: »
    I did like you and Melanie using the curlisto method http://www.curlisto.com/new-stylingyourhair/lesson-wavy%20to%20loose%20curls.htm adding pudding and BRHG to ea section. This really made a difference the 3rd time. The 1st time I was frizzy but I didn't use a leave-in, the 2nd time it left me a little too soft. There is something to sectioning for sure!! YIPPEE :blob8: another product to add to my rotation!!! I should add that I sprayed a little of the coco curling spray too when it was damp and that help to set it.

I had been using the Curlisto method religiously since the summer. Since the humidity has completely gone, I have found that I don't need to use as much product. I always have to use a leave-in, but I can apply the Komaza the same way I apply [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] (Mysteryflavored's video). I don't need to use as much product this way.

I have also gone back to plopping with my Curlease towel (something I stopped doing with the Curlisto method). It lets me apply my makeup and then take the towel off. I then scrunch in about a dime size amount of gel and start diffusing. My hair is drying much faster with the smaller amount of product and the plopping.

I've never tried the Coco Curl Spray. Is it meant to use on damp hair, or is it primarily a refresher?
    I didn't use any more product by sectioning actually. It was just a better application process :) I just used dabs of Pudding and pea sizes of BRHG. I ended with scrunching the Mystery way too but no plopping for me on Day 1 it pulls my waves out this time of year. I can plop on Day 2 though after spritzing, if I DON'T I FRIZZ badly. I have no idea if it's primarily a refresher, to me it's like a light gel. I like it on dry hair as well, I wanted a little more definition so I sprayed some on my hands and srunched into damp hair and it held nicely. It didn't spray well out of the bottle it just SQUIRTED all over the place it's too creamy to spray!
    Discovered CG 2007

2C Fia BSL/Thick/Med-Coarse/Low(crown)-Normal Porosity Protein and Oil Sensitive

CJRehab or H&B Fix, Deva NO POO, EO Rose & Cham POO & Condish, CJ CurlFix, CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ CIAB, SS FHG, KCCC, BRHG, AG Mousse Gel, ACV Rinses,Shikakai Conditioning Hair Rinse.
  • discobugdiscobug Sunshine StateRegistered Users Posts: 404
    Attention: Frizzbgone, need ur rec. please :toothy8:

When I run out of my [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] I am thinking of trying one of the following, but I can't decide which:
    Afroveda custard (leaning toward this)
    Ohm pudding
    Komaza something

I love [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] but it increases the drying time and the price is a little high even though it does last awhile. (Ordered mine in October 08)

I prefer more of a jelly type consistency, the butters seem to be a little heavy on a day in/day out basis.

Also, I'm looking for a good gel that isn't an arm and a leg? I don't care for BRHG, but thought about mop top.

TIA! :blob8:
    Hair Type-3b Location: Florida
    John 3:16
    Poo: Jessicurl HCC, As I Am
    Conditioners: Aubrey Organics, KCKT, CJ HBDT, Darcy's Botanicals
    Leave In/Styling: KCCC, Darcy's Botanicals, SS
    Favorites (HG): KCCC; spiral solutions jelly; darcy's botanicals, FSG
    No-No's: castor oil, beeswax, glycerine, silicones
    LOVE: aloe vera, agave nectar, shea butter, flax seed gel; good DT's once a week
    http://public.fotki.com/discobug71/
    password: curly
    discobug wrote: »
    Attention: Frizzbgone, need ur rec. please :toothy8:

When I run out of my [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] I am thinking of trying one of the following, but I can't decide which:
    Afroveda custard (leaning toward this)
    Ohm pudding
    Komaza something

I love [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] but it increases the drying time and the price is a little high even though it does last awhile. (Ordered mine in October 08)

I prefer more of a jelly type consistency, the butters seem to be a little heavy on a day in/day out basis.

Also, I'm looking for a good gel that isn't an arm and a leg? I don't care for BRHG, but thought about mop top.

TIA! :blob8:

Hi There !
    The one I'd say is the most like a jelly consistency would be the Komaza pudding. I'd also say that this one is the one that dries (in my hair anyway) the fastest.

The Ohm SHP is a little thicker consistency that the Afroveda. It is like a whipped or mousse dessert (smells like one too!!). The Afroveda reminds me of whipping cream when it is just starting to thicken. Hmmm ... my comparisons are always food related .... not a good sign :angry2:

I think the Afroveda is probably the one that you have to be the most careful with when you use it. If can get greasy. I'd recommend starting with either the Komaza or the SHP.

Just to further complicate things ... have you ever tried Curls by Sisters Smith Wet Set Pudding (WSP). It is also good and very inexpensive.

HTH
    I posted this on the Gen Discussion on discobug's Glycerin thread http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?p=848926#post848926

Komaza has changed the ingredients on the Coconut Pudding. Does the one you purchased have Castor Bean oil? They are not using it anymore but haven't updated the website and their e-mail didn't say WHEN they would update it????? Just curious what will give the coco pudding "hold" without the Castor????
    Discovered CG 2007

• kathymackkathymack Registered Users Posts: 9,999 Curl Neophyte
    I posted this on the Gen Discussion on discobug's Glycerin thread http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?p=848926#post848926

Komaza has changed the ingredients on the Coconut Pudding. Does the one you purchased have Castor Bean oil? They are not using it anymore but haven't updated the website and their e-mail didn't say WHEN they would update it????? Just curious what will give the coco pudding "hold" without the Castor????

Why do you think it's the castor oil that give it hold? I'm going to write them and see if it's available.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    kathymack wrote: »

Why do you think it's the castor oil that give it hold? I'm going to write them and see if it's available.
    I have no idea! :laughing1: I'm guessing because it's so high on the list?? I'm no ingredient expert can anyone tell by looking below what would give it hold in comparison to other pudding products?

ingredients: Coconut Oil, Shea Butter, Cocoa Butter, castor bean oil, Dipalmitoylethyldimonium Chloride (A derivitive of Palm Oil) aloe vera, acrylates, alkyl acrylates, Sodium Benzoate, Potassium Sorbate, Methylparaben, Propylparaben
    Discovered CG 2007

• msgibletmsgiblet Registered Users Posts: 5,825
    kathymack wrote: »

I have no idea! :laughing1: I'm guessing because it's so high on the list?? I'm no ingredient expert can anyone tell by looking below what would give it hold in comparison to other pudding products?

ingredients: Coconut Oil, Shea Butter, Cocoa Butter, castor bean oil, Dipalmitoylethyldimonium Chloride (A derivitive of Palm Oil) aloe vera, acrylates, alkyl acrylates, Sodium Benzoate, Potassium Sorbate, Methylparaben, Propylparaben

The acrylates and alkyl acrylates.
    http://public.fotki.com/msgiblet/ - pw: gibber -- Pics Added 7/10/11
    Fine, Thick, Normal Porosity, Normal Elasticity

Countess Balashi of Divi Beach in the Order of the Curly Crusaders :occasion5:

If I'm Going To Have A Bad Hair Day, It Might As Well Be In Aruba!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Just wanted to post an update. I've been using Komaza coconut hair pudding for a few weeks now, and am still having consistently GREAT hair.

I always scrunch in the pudding over a leave-in (GDLI, KBB SS, or KBB milk: they all work well) and under a gel (BRHG works the best).

If I air dry, the BRHG can leave my hair a bit crunchy, but then I just scrunch out the crunch with my fingers. If I diffuse or use less BRHG, I don't have a crunch problem. I also have great 2nd (or even 3rd) day hair with this combo. I just re-wet my hair, scrunch a bit and air dry for 5 minutes, and I'm ready to go.

Recently, I tried the Ohm pudding and love that as well. I agree with FBG - the Ohm is very similar to the Komaza pudding. I also give it a tie for #1: best winter curl enhancer.

The Komaza pudding smells like coconut and has more of a jelly consistency. The coconut smell fades once your hair is dry. (The Komaza milk, by contrast, has a much stronger coconut smell that persists until the next wash).

The Ohm pudding smells like strawberry candy and it fades mostly, but not entirely, once hair is dry. Its consistency is more like a whip cream than a jelly. So far, I've liked it best under HESMU, but have to experiment more.

I don't know if the honey in the Ohm will give me trouble in the winter (since it's a humectant), but so far so good. Right now, since I travel each week for work, I have Komaza pudding in one location, and Ohm pudding in the other, and I'm happy as a clam.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file