How Do You Apply Shea to Your Curls?

breezybabybreezybaby Registered Users Posts: 347
Hi Ladies!

I am looking for a product that will define my curls and hold them together. I see that a lot of you use shea butter. I recently bought Oyin's [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Oyin-Handmade-Whipped-Pudding-p-353.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=oyin-whipped-pudding]Whipped Pudding[/buylink] (which is mainly shea) and tried every which way to use it.

I used verrrrry little. Didn't work. I used a lot. Didn't work. I tried it on wet hair, damp hair, dry hair (all at seperate times). Nothing. I applied it right on my hair, I tried with putting it only on twists. It all ended up with my hair feeling a dry, hot mess and me feeling this :banghead:

At first I thought that maybe my hair doesn't like shea, but I see so many of you use it with great success. I am guessing it's either my technique or the product.

How do you apply shea butter?

Thanks!
3a/3b/3c hair all on one head :thumright:

public.fotki.com/breezybaby
youtube.com/joyfulbree

Staples (used in many ways):
Coconut milk
Castor oil
Coconut oil
Honey
Shea butter

Comments

• curlymaybecurlymaybe Registered Users Posts: 354
    breezybaby wrote: »

At first I thought that maybe my hair doesn't like shea, but I see so many of you use it with great success. I am guessing it's either my technique or the product.

It could be any of those factors, but don't beat yourself up over it. It's okay if your hair doesn't respond to someone else's holy grail product. Just find what works for you. There are so many butters and oils out there. Look to the products that you use and love and see if they have a common ingredient. Chances are your hair will like it. For example, my favorite oil is wheatgerm (random, I know). I've used Aubrey organics conditioners for years; my hair thrives on them. Wheatgerm oil is an active ingredient in them, so I tried wheatgerm by itself and my hair responded well.
    How do you apply shea butter?
    I've found that shea softens my hair, but doesn't moisturize. I add avocado butter and aloe to my shea and the results are much better (and I use a liquid leave-in before I apply the shea).
    Hair loves: aloe vera juice, cocoa butter, camellia oil

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Never forget, justice is what love looks like in public." ~ Cornel West
  • kathymackkathymack Registered Users Posts: 9,999 Curl Neophyte
    I agree with curlymaybe. I just got the hairveda whipped shealoe--it's for use on dry hair. I think it makes my hair "hard." My hair likes shea in other products, so I don't know what the problem is. The morale of my comment is that none of this is as exact as we'd like it to be--it's not you!
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • TJOCTJOC Registered Users Posts: 23
    I like plain shea butter with a little olive oil. Solid, plain organic shea butter is pricey but will last forever (don't keep in a warm bathroom though)
  • breezybabybreezybaby Registered Users Posts: 347
    thanks for the responses.
    :)
    3a/3b/3c hair all on one head :thumright:

public.fotki.com/breezybaby
    youtube.com/joyfulbree

Staples (used in many ways):
    Coconut milk
    Castor oil
    Coconut oil
    Honey
    Shea butter
  • sweetmx85sweetmx85 Registered Users Posts: 1,017 Curl Neophyte
    I use pure shea butter on my hair when it is damp, sometimes alone, sometimes mixed with evoo. Im still trying to find the master concoction for it, but so far that has done well enough. Better than anything else Ive tried.
    my blog
    http://curlygirlie85.blogspot.com/
    Its a beauty, natural hair, food, family, and life all combined into one blog. I took a break from it for awhile but I recently started blogging again and Im addicted!

my tumblr natural inspirations and beauty: http://sophiams85.tumblr.com/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file